• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COD: Ghosts PS4 case jacket leaked; 49GB install

Eusis

That all digital future is looking great already.
I honestly think that to an extent the all digital future is just a dream, or at least far further off than any huge proponents would like to admit. To really get there I'd think we'd need at least Google Fiber quality internet practically everywhere, and maybe larger storage in general. We're close enough that it's an acceptable option for many people, but the advantages of physical are still strong. Nevermind how some simply CAN'T go away without other technological leaps like feelies for the better premium editions of games, but that would ideally at least thrive as a niche.

USB 3.0 has a theoretical peak speed of 5Gbit/s. So the max speed of 3.0 should be somewhere around the (5Gbit/s /8)625MB/s full duplex. Problem is, the disk inside of the cage is unlikely to reach those speeds.

Yes my bad, i was taking into effect the latency that goes on via usb. Realistically maybe you will get about 550MB/S. There is a way around to what you're saying. I have an ocz vertex 4 ssd which has a random read/write of about 550mb/s iirc. I'll just put it inside a usb case and one of those sata to usb 3.0 adapters, and i should be able to get close to those speeds.

Shadownet

Banned
Well, the Killzone guys said that they had like 200 gigs of data before some nifty disc optimization techniques, so I can certainly see how it's possible.

By the end of this generation we may see multi-Blu-ray releases. That's going to be crazy.

We're going to need that Purple-ray by then.

Fuck, that dog alone is probably 25 GB

coddog.gif

lol 25? Pushin 30 gigs at least man

Zaventem

Ugh.. if every game is like this we'll need harddrives bigger than 1 TB. Maybe it'll also help in driving down prices in the future.

Ugh.. if every game is like this we'll need harddrives bigger than 1 TB. Maybe it'll also help in driving down prices in the future.

I suppose the question is how many disc games do you play at the same time? Usually I might have 2/3/4 on the go at the same time, if it doesn't take too long to install games before you can play them (10-15 minutes?) then I wouldn't be adverse to deleting games if I was using up too much space on hard drives. I can see why "cleaning the fridge" is not particularly desirable though.

Dysun

I only play a handful of games at once, so I'm not that concerned with the HDD filling up. Hopefully the initial install is either all background, or small.

tho Infinity Ward learn 2 compress

entremet

It was always pretty vague.
Unless you can show some direct confirmation that nearly everyone has missed.

I'm glad though, hate disc noise.

I guess I didn't find Cerny's statement as vague.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/191007/

page 3

"So, what we do as the game accesses the Blu-ray disc, is we take any data that was accessed and we put it on the hard drive. And if then if there is idle time, we go ahead and copy the remaining data to the hard drive. And what that means is after an hour or two, the game is on the hard drive, and you have access, you have dramatically quicker loading... And you have the ability to do some truly high-speed streaming.

geordiemp

so the Ps4 has a replaceable HD, but we are limited to 1.5 TB.

Is there any sony plans to be able to add a USB 3.0 HD ?

Eusis

This limit is just because of what HDDs are out there currently, correct? I think we just need to wait, they'll probably figure something out for laptop drives one way or the other, even if it means jumping past that threshold with SSDs instead of HDDs.

Valnen

I think it's been confirmed that you can't install games to an external drive, which is a damn shame considering there are external drives with far more storage than your average internal laptop drive.

Bsigg12

Well you could possibly just run a SATA II cable out the case somehow and have whatever size drive you want. Though it probably won't work since you have to pull part of the case off, not just a panel, to access the internal drive.

Currently, we just don't know the slot size for the drives. If it's a 9mm laptop drive that limits what will fit in the system.

Boss Man

Wow, I am not sure if I'm ready to start trying to work around only holding 6-7 retail games + a handful of indie games. Required install is bad news.

Pimpbaa

Did you guys think that games wouldn't increase in size next gen? I mean there were already some PS3 games that took up a significant amount of the blu-ray disc. And this isn't about devs about lazy, it's about texture assets being a hell of a lot larger than last gen.

To those that want 2+ TB of data for their PS4 (you will need it). You can get SATA power/data extender cables. It wont look pretty, but you could use your 4TB 3.5'' drive. It shouldn't break your warranty either as you would just hook the cables to where the HDD normally goes.

Wille517

Neo Member
I aim this accusation at all parties involved(Sony,MS and Activision) but I'll be damned if this doesn't smell like backdoor DRM.

Rafterman

Banned
Maybe it just needs the extra space for unpacking and the game is actually only 24.5GB.

Yeah, this what I'm thinking. PC games routinely need more space than they actually use, so just because it claims it needs that much space doesn't mean it will all get used.

Valnen

I aim this accusation at all parties involved(Sony,MS and Activision) but I'll be damned if this doesn't smell like backdoor DRM.

Oh lord. No, this is purely for performance reasons. Games will run better if they're designed with the idea that they'll all be running off the hard drive.

Pimpbaa

Since the games let you play while they are installing. I wouldn't be surprised if it worked like the original Xbox where the game data for the least played game gets deleted when you play a new game. All this was transparent to the user and had no user involvement.

Wille517

Neo Member
Oh lord. No, this is purely for performance reasons. Games will run better if they're designed with the idea that they'll all be running off the hard drive.
Maybe I've just become terribly cynical, but I find it impossible to swallow a 49gig install for a game that will be on current gen consoles and I know damn well wont require the same on my PS3.

Valnen

Maybe I've just become terribly cynical, but I find it impossible to swallow a 49gig install for a game that will be on current gen consoles and I know damn well wont require the same on my PS3.

Game sizes increase with time. Welcome to next gen!

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
this is insane

even the best-looking PC MMOs with immense game worlds full of HD textures don't go that high. and it's 50 gigs for a game with like a 6 hour campaign and a few multiplayer maps?

Are they doing all the cutscenes in prerendered 1080p video instead of in-engine?

Top Bottom