• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Playoff + New Year's Six |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Final AP Poll

Code:
RK	TEAM		REC	PTS	TREND
1	Clemson(60)	14-1	1500	—
2	Alabama		14-1	1440	—
3	USC		10-3	1292	—
4	Washington	12-2	1277	—
5	Oklahoma	11-2	1252	—
6	Ohio State	11-2	1240	—
7	Penn State	11-3	1130	—
8	Florida State	10-3	1105	—
9	Wisconsin	11-3	1032	—
10	Michigan	10-3	1001	—
11	Gondo State	10-3	920	—
12	Stanford	10-3	730	—
13	LSU		8-4	651	—
14	Florida		9-4	640	—
15	W. Michigan	13-1	619	—
16	Virginia Tech	10-4	610	—
17	Colorado	10-4	585	—
18	West Virginia	10-3	368	—
19	South Florida	11-2	358	—
20	Miami		9-4	338	NR
21	Louisville	9-4	277	—
22	Tennessee	9-4	253	NR
23	Utah		9-4	222	NR
24	Auburn		8-5	206	—
25	San Diego State	11-3	113	NR

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Still feel like Dabo had terrible clock management on that final drive. If Clemson doesn't get that TD then I think the idea that they wasted soo much time would be a bigger story.

Mike Defee is the president of one of the subsidiaries I work for and everyone at work is flipping out over him it's hilarious.

Bama doesn't lose many though, they will be back in the CFP, no doubt.

Nah the elite college football program of LSU will get it next year 100% book it.

andycapps

One of the first QBs picked next NFL draft will be Mitch Trubisky, and he was a 3 star recruit from Rivals. What happened to all the four and five star guys ahead of him???
Well Deshaun was a 4 star, almost 5 star. Kizer was a 4 star as well. Trubisky was a 4 star according to 247 composite rankings.

Jhriad

The guys who have transferred are almost all going to be starters at another school or already are.

So you're using the fact that 5* recruits will probably be starters if they transfer somewhere as a foundation for your argument? Being capable of starting at British Colombia (seriously, c'mon man) is a lot different than the capability of starting at a school like Alabama. I'm not disagreeing with your point entirely. The highest caliber quarterbacks and a few other skill positions are easier to project than say, offensive linemen. The physical tools for skill talent are more apparent early on and some of those positions, like wide receiver, are capable of translating very quickly to college. Quarterbacks are somewhere in the middle as there's more to learn in regards to technique, playbook, how well each QB fits within the system they're attempting to play in, and frankly the additional attention and pressure of the position at premier programs. Are most 5* quarterbacks (or any 5* recruit) capable of playing somewhere? Sure, but that could be said of pretty much every position coming out of high school. I just think you're over-exaggerating the predictability of recruits translating to the next level a bit.

urge26

Dalton hate in Cincinnati is always abundant, but I think the dude has panned out pretty well for a second round pick (despite his inability to win a game on a prime time stage).

dedhead54

I had to rewatch the last 10 min of this game again this morning, and I don't even watch that much football. Glad to see Clemson get the W though, as my dads side of the family are all Auburn alum and I was raised to hate Bama (although at this point everyone who isn't a Bama fan hates them, no middle ground).

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The line in Spartanburg SC post game to get into Academy Sports for championship gear! LoL

img_20170110_102209swsm1.jpg

The thirst is definitely real.

jfkgoblue

So you're using the fact that 5* recruits will probably be starters if they transfer somewhere as a foundation for your argument? Being capable of starting at British Colombia (seriously, c'mon man) is a lot different than the capability of starting at a school like Alabama. I'm not disagreeing with your point entirely. The highest caliber quarterbacks and a few other skill positions are easier to project than say, offensive linemen. The physical tools for skill talent are more apparent early on and some of those positions, like wide receiver, are capable of translating very quickly to college. Quarterbacks are somewhere in the middle as there's more to learn in regards to technique, playbook, how well each QB fits within the system they're attempting to play in, and frankly the additional attention and pressure of the position at premier programs. Are most 5* quarterbacks (or any 5* recruit) capable of playing somewhere? Sure, but that could be said of pretty much every position coming out of high school. I just think you're over-exaggerating the predictability of recruits translating to the next level a bit.
DT are much easier to project than Pro, Pro style is probably even harder than Olineman to project. This conversation started about a 5* Pro QB who he expected to be an automatic stud because "all 4 and 5* QB prospects are".

There is a higher chance that a random 4 or 5* QB will be a stud than a 3*, yes, but it is still a crapshoot. Many of the college Pro style QB's studs weren't highly rated. I.e. Connor Cook at MSU last year or Baker Mayfield at Oklahoma (and even he transferred).

Here at Michigan we have signed so many highly rated QB's recently such as Shane Morris, Alex Malzone, Zach Gentry, Brandon Peters(too early to tell on him though) yet our starter turned out to be 3* Wilton Speight. I wish Pro style was more easy to project, because we got highly rated Dylan Mcaffrey (yes, the same family as a certain RB that sat out his bowl), but in no way, shape, or form are we depending on him to become a star.

DT have many more raw measurable so they are far easier to project than Pro, but even then they are 50/50 at best on turning out good.

Semi-OT, but WR is probably the easiest position to project, a 5* WR is almost guaranteed to be at least a weapon. Some may say RB, but we have had bad luck on 5* RB here at Michigan.
Well Deshaun was a 4 star, almost 5 star. Kizer was a 4 star as well. Trubisky was a 4 star according to 247 composite rankings.
Kizer was a Pro style recruit, but Deshaun was a DT. Like said above DT is easier to project than Pro. The point is, even the elite Pro QB prospects have a low chance of panning out.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
2. Will Grier -- Stuck with a dumpster fire offense as a FR, transferred to WVU. Probably starter since their Senior QB graduated.

Yep. He's our slated starter. Apparently was great all year on the scout team. They're hoping he's eligible for game one from his suspension (believe he got hit with a year suspension, served half of it at Florida and then sat out this past year as a transfer), but apparently the NCAA won't give a final decision until July.

Our backups played little this year as Howard didn't miss any games and we had few blowout wins, and looked bad the little they played so Grier shouldn't have any real competition unless there's a true freshman or JUCO brought in or something.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
lol can't wait for people in three years to say Bama got crushed in this game.

That would be lame. I hate Bama as much as the next guy, but they were a very good team.

A bit overrated with all the talk of them being perhaps the best team of all time if they finished 15-0. They weren't even as good as some of Saban's other great Bama teams. They just got through the SEC unscathed for once as it was the weakest its been in years. Next highest ranked SEC team in the final AP Poll is LSU at 13th.

Having a freshman QB really cost them the game honestly. He was clearly a little unsettled and never got in a passing rhythm and missed some throws that would have been long TDs, first downs in field goal range etc. even when he wasn't being pressured.

That would be lame. I hate Bama as much as the next guy, but they were a very good team.

A bit overrated with all the talk of them being perhaps the best team of all time if they finished 15-0. They weren't even as good as some of Saban's other great Bama teams. They just got through the SEC unscathed for once as it was the weakest its been in years. Next highest ranked SEC team in the final AP Poll is LSU at 13th.

Having a freshman QB really cost them the game honestly. He was clearly a little unsettled and never got in a passing rhythm and missed some throws that would have been long TDs, first downs in field goal range etc. even when he wasn't being pressured.

I can't stress enough how many drops there were by Alabama receivers last night. Many of them on near perfect throws. Hurts wasn't awesome, but he played about well enough to win the game. Running tempo and the second half play calling cost us more than anything. He has to get better during the offseason, though. FSU's secondary is gonna be extremely talented. I like our chances of making it 4 years in a row in the playoffs though.

jfkgoblue

Now that it is off-season (bleh) it's time to discuss 2017 and each posters team chances.

For Michigan, we will be probably more talented, but it is all completely unproven talent. A step back will happen almost assuredly, but 9 wins will still be the expectation. Having an experienced QB will be huge for us with the experience we lose at our offensive skill positions, but we have some elite WR talent on the roster. I liked how Bunting performed in the Orange Bowl in the absence of Butt, but it's still too early to tell.

Receiving corps will be extremely talented but unproven.

TE:
Ian Bunting: looked good against FSU, has potential to be another Jake Butt, but that remains to be seen

Devin Asiasi: I think he is going to have a huge year. Very talented big bodied TE, saw some looks this year, including a TD against PSU. He is probably the best TE we have had in years in terms of raw talent.

TJ Wheatley: Son of Michigan great(and current RB coach) Tyrone Wheatley. The kid is huge, was some talk of moving him to OT, but he has some receiving talent as well. Received very limited looks this year, but looked good in them(also had a TD)

WR:
Grant Perry: Has the potential to be a star, elite speed, has looked fantastic at times, but it is unknown how he will respond to being the top WR.

Drake Harris: been pretty disappointing so far, but he is still young, don't really know much about how he will perform, former highly rated recruit that we stole from Sparty.

Donovan Peoples-Jones: this kid has so much talent, could be the next huge star but is completely unproven as he will be a true Freshman this year.

Our oline is completely new almost so it is nearly impossible to gage how good they will be.

RB:
We lose Devion, but I see Kareem Walker stepping into his place nicely(RS Freshman, had some academic issues this year), the rest will be the same, but I think Evans has the best potential of them all, kid has some unreal speed.

Defense is gonna be worse, no doubt about it. We lose our entire dline(with the exception of Rashan Gary), and they will all be drafted, so that will be hard to replace. Greg Mattison is probably the most overqualified Dline coach in football though, so I still expect the line to be good.

LB:

Once again, the weak spot of our defense. (Likely) losing Jabrill is gonna be a huge blow(look at what Cool did to us without him), but McCray is coming back and the coaches rave about Devin Bush Jr, who played ST this year, and looked good in that limited role. The rest of our LB corp is a huge unknown though we have some talent.

CB:

Losing Jourdan Lewis and Channing Stribling is gonna hurt a lot, but hopefully Jeremy Clark gets his medical RS, to help there. We will have 2 young corners that were highly rated in David Long and Lavert Hill. Will be completely unproven though so this is a mystery.

S:

Dymonte Thomas was decent, but it's also hard to gage how his departure will affect the S spot.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Damn, never checked that pickem at all, did better than I thought I'd do.

I was right though. > than .500

shandy706

We were talking about that last night at our Championship party.

I'm still in shock my Tigers pulled it off. I'm not surprised, as I thought we were going to win...even by multiple touchdowns, but after we all nearly killed each other celebrating with that final touchdown I just had to lay in the floor for a while. X-D

So happy....and the above is a really neat statistic.

Jhriad

Pro style is probably even harder than Olineman to project.

Uh no. Offensive linemen are the hardest position to evaluate coming from high school by a decent bit. This is especially true when you get into those mid grade players that make up the bulk of recruiting classes. Quarterback, regardless of whether their style, is far from easy easy but it's easier to project than OL by a decent margin. QB is second behind OL but because of the importance of the position, and the fact that you're typically only taking one QB in each class, even a year or two of misses can be extremely detrimental to "taking the next step" or maintaining a program at a high level.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...declares-acc-best-conference-college-football

"Dabo Swinney declares ACC 'best conference in college football'"

ACC! ACC! ACC!

TAMPA, Fla. -- Clemson coach Dabo Swinney proclaimed the ACC "the best conference in college football" on Tuesday after his team beat Alabama 35-31 to win the national championship.

For this season, anyway, it is hard to argue with that assessment. The ACC finished 9-3 in bowl season, by far the best of any in the country, while also staking claim to two national champions over the last four years.

It has been a steady climb up for a conference once dismissed as the worst among the Power 5. But with Florida State and Clemson rising up, and programs like Louisville, Miami and Virginia Tech making strides this season, any old ideas about the ACC need to be reconsidered.

"I think all you media folks need to change your stories," Swinney said during a news conference. "It sounds good. I've been in this league a long time, and this league has never gotten the respect that it deserves. I said about five years ago, just keep your mouth shut and go play. If we want to change the story, then we've got to change it from the inside out. Let's line them up, let's go play them. You've got to win those games. I told my AD that. I told Terry Don Phillips that. We've got to go play people and we've got to win. We've got to find a way. That's the only way it's going to change.

"I knew. I mean, I watch on tape, I watched all the Big Ten film and all that stuff. This is the best conference in college football. It's the deepest, it's the most competitive. You look at the head-to-head records against the SEC. ... You don't want to play a team from this conference. You just don't. I don't care; name one. That's why we're ready. That's why we're ready to go play Oklahoma two years in a row. That's why we're ready to go play Ohio State two out of the last four years. We're ready, because of what we see week in and week out in this conference."

The numbers back up the claim. The ACC finished 10-4 against the SEC, 6-2 against the Big Ten -- both league records for most wins against those conferences. Eleven teams finished with a winning record, also a league record. Overall, the ACC finished as the only league with a winning record against Power 5 opponents this year (17-9) and was 51-17 against all nonconference opponents, the best record of any conference and a league record for most wins in a season.

That is a far cry from where the ACC was a mere five years ago, when it had a difficult time winning nonconference games and was shut out of the national championship game on a yearly basis. It had been 14 long seasons between national championship game appearances before Florida State broke through in the 2014 BCS title game against Auburn.

Since then, the ACC has had a team either in the College Football Playoff or as a national champion.

"I said five or six years ago when we were going through a rough stage in the postseason and not winning our share of nonconference games during the regular season that the solution to that was pretty simple but hard to do," ACC commissioner John Swofford said earlier in the week. "We needed to win more games, need to be better in the postseason, needed to win more of the right kinds of games. What we've seen over the last four or five years in the ACC is that our teams have done that. Certainly led by Clemson and Florida State, but we've developed a great deal more depth as well and I think that's become pretty obvious. It all is pretty well culminated this year."

ACC! ACC! ACC!

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Now that it is off-season (bleh) it's time to discuss 2017 and each posters team's chances.

For WVU I think we'll be a bit better than this year as long as Will Grier is eligible game one and plays well and stays healthy. He should be a big upgrade over Skylar Howard and we return a ton of play makers at WR and RB. Will need some new starters to step up on the OL and defense though.

Schedule is tougher though, starting with VT in FedEx and having Oklahoma and TCU in the road.

I'd guess another 10-2 season as the best to hope for. 8-4 probably the worst barring injury problems.

Burt

Quake1028

Code:
Coaches Poll
RK	Team	Rec	Pts	Trend
1	Clemson(60)	14-1	1500	—
2	Alabama	14-1	1440	—
3	Oklahoma	11-2	1308	—
4	Washington	12-2	1265	—
5	USC	10-3	1263	—
6	Ohio State	11-2	1186	—
7	Penn State	11-3	1123	—
8	Florida State	10-3	1102	—
9	Wisconsin	11-3	1044	—
10	Michigan	10-3	986	—
11	Oklahoma State	10-3	922	—
12	Stanford	10-3	791	—
13	Florida	9-4	673	—
14	LSU	8-4	641	—
15	Colorado	10-4	634	—
16	Virginia Tech	10-4	632	—
17	West Virginia	10-3	522	—
18	Western Michigan	13-1	449	—
19	South Florida	11-2	362	—
20	Louisville	9-4	338	—
21	Utah	9-4	303	—
22	Auburn	8-5	230	—
23	Miami	9-4	229	NR
24	Tennessee	9-4	211	NR
25	San Diego State	11-3	102	NR

Dropped from rankings: Nebraska 21, Temple 24, Iowa 25

Others receiving votes: Nebraska 46, Kansas State 44, Georgia Tech 24, Western Kentucky 23, Boise State 20, Air Force 18, Iowa 17, Temple 16, Tulsa 11, Minnesota 7, Georgia 5, Wake Forest 3, Navy 3, Troy 2, Washington State 2, Arkansas 2, BYU 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom