• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Come 2to buttocks. i welcom thee

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really think false info was set free to try and catch leakers... If he had not been really sure about the release date of a freakin' next gen console, he would have not told!

He had plenty of other truthfacts in this dump of information and he could have just skipped that one if he was not so sure about it. Watch out cboat.

Still part of #teamCBOAT though!

I don't hate the guy. And I get he gets a pass with his history. I get it. But damn, should he really be able to claim outright falsehoods without any consequence whatsoever? I'm not suggesting a ban or anything like that. And I'm a junior member here. I know this. But it just feels icky to me that he can say things are one way, we find out they're the other, and it's okay because he was right before. Especially when a lot of the things he says can be open to interpretation/unprovable or are pretty widely known to begin with.

I'd also like to say it's totally possible he was intentionally given false info to find the rat. But even if that's the case, shouldn't like a warning be in order? Again, I'm a nobody here and just sharing my thoughts on this.

...No? Comes with the leaking territory - why would he be warned or banned? Sometimes you're right, sometimes you're wrong. He shares this info with us and it's all free. He's still more right than wrong - why would anyone want him to curb the information he shares with us because of a couple of wrongs?

Hell, how would you warn him? "Don't share things that you don't know for certain?" I assume he already employs some sort of reasonable doubt before letting us know this info. Sometimes things change, and waiting for absolute certainty would pretty much invalidate the whole point of the leaking.

Minions

I don't hate the guy. And I get he gets a pass with his history. I get it. But damn, should he really be able to claim outright falsehoods without any consequence whatsoever? I'm not suggesting a ban or anything like that. And I'm a junior member here. I know this. But it just feels icky to me that he can say things are one way, we find out they're the other, and it's okay because he was right before. Especially when a lot of the things he says can be open to interpretation/unprovable or are pretty widely known to begin with.

I'd also like to say it's totally possible he was intentionally given false info to find the rat. But even if that's the case, shouldn't like a warning be in order? Again, I'm a nobody here and just sharing my thoughts on this.

Let me help you out; Don't read cboat threads; Then you won't read his posts and insider information. Insider Information is not always correct; Even people who work directly with people get "information" which is not always accurate. Ever work in an office environment and hear "second hand" about what other people are working on? Ever play that game where you say a phrase an pass it along. It is never the same at the end; Stuff is lost in translation along the way.

Cboat rarely (if ever) has Sony information. I expect this date was based on rumors/insider information, and don't for a second think Sony did not talk about launching in October. October launch makes sense from a standpoint of beating Microsoft the the punch. However Sony wants a global launch (perhaps after hearing the reduction in launch countries recently?). Plans change constantly. I think Sony made the right decision launching globally as opposed to launching a few week(s) earlier than Microsoft.

As for Indies; Personally; Microsoft does not seem like they are 100% sure what is going on. They have idea(s), but nothing in place to support them. The main point here is most of their ideas are not ready at launch and will be available "down the line". This falls in line with the Microsoft Scramble which has been going on since all the 180's.

Minions

Let me help you out; Don't read cboat threads; Then you won't read his posts and insider information. Insider Information is not always correct; Even people who work directly with people get "information" which is not always accurate. Ever work in an office environment and hear "second hand" about what other people are working on? Ever play that game where you say a phrase an pass it along. It is never the same at the end; Stuff is lost in translation along the way.

Cboat rarely (if ever) has Sony information. I expect this date was based on rumors/insider information, and don't for a second think Sony did not talk about launching in October. October launch makes sense from a standpoint of beating Microsoft the the punch. However Sony wants a global launch (perhaps after hearing the reduction in launch countries recently?). Plans change constantly. I think Sony made the right decision launching globally as opposed to launching a few week(s) earlier than Microsoft.

As for Indies; Personally; Microsoft does not seem like they are 100% sure what is going on. They have idea(s), but nothing in place to support them. The main point here is most of their ideas are not ready at launch and will be available "down the line". This falls in line with the Microsoft Scramble which has been going on since all the 180's.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Rightfully so.

Oh please. This person has probably stuck his neck out on the proverbial chopping block numerous times to get us the juicy tidbits. So he got information wrong. That's the risk you take and it could cost him his job. It honestly just sounds like mad Xbone fans calling for blood since all the info Cboat has provided over the last few months has been mainly negative toward MS.

your balls

ib0gmwGa2RsWwM.jpg

akira28

I really think false info was set free to try and catch leakers... If he had not been really sure about the release date of a freakin' next gen console, he would have not told!

He had plenty of other truthfacts in this dump of information and he could have just skipped that one if he was not so sure about it. Watch out cboat.

classic mole hunting technique. I hope they never catch him though.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
"CBOAT was set up" is a pretty amusing theory, even if completely unsubstantiated and/or illogical.

Oh please. This person has probably stuck his neck out on the proverbial chopping block numerous times to get us the juicy tidbits. So he got information wrong. That's the risk you take and it could cost him his job. It honestly just sounds like mad Xbone fans calling for blood since all the info Cboat has provided over the last few months has been mainly negative toward MS.

Other people had gotten permabanned for having wrong sources also. Some of them just posting inside a thread, not making one and clamoring to be a fact.

Are you telling me that Gaf law doesn't apply if you are popular enough?

Other people had gotten permabanned for having wrong sources also. Some of them just posting inside a thread, not making one and clamoring to be a fact.

What confirmed insider got permed for wrong sources?

And that is exactly what he really does. He just copies the methods of Nostradamus to make it seem like he knows stuff before anyone else by being vague enough to be right. Of course then there are those mad followers who interpret everything that really happens in a way so it can be a result of cboat's predictions. Like Masterchief walking around in a cloak. "Oh he must've mistaken that for Prince of Persia"

There was a very strict policy here for insider knowledge, be right or be gone. It seems cboat got greedy, wanted even more attention and failed.

If you didn't see the end bit of that damn Halo teaser, you'd think PoP too. I'm pretty sure he ran with that.

"CBOAT was set up" is a pretty amusing theory, even if completely unsubstantiated and/or illogical.

Yup. CBoAT just got it wrong, which could mean anything (they changed it, or his source was misinformed). It is pretty funny to think of Sony leaking that out specifically to go after someone who doesn't even leak Sony shit

GAF Law isn't actually law. It's very fluid.

Also, CBoAT's been doing this thing for years upon years. Some of the most out of nowhere stuff has been called by him. It's only very recently he's been off, and I'd put that directly into it being next-gen time.

To everybody asking for a ban/warning/etc etc etc: You are aware this is why most people in the industry specifically avoid GAF, right?

akira28

yeah. I've seen generic gaffers repost some "shocking" news they read on some other board, spreading unsubstantiated rumors. But banning insiders for tips that take bad turns might eventually leave you with no insiders.

Ooh god microsoft did an canary trap gave each section an date to cut down the people that could be cboat...

#FreeCBOAT

Xbudz

Do you really think huge corporations won't try to flush out leakers?

That would be funny if Microsoft was purposely telling some [suspect?] employees about "knowledge" of an early PS4 release just to see who would leak it- as to narrow down who was doing the leaking.

Shingro

I completely don't understand people calling for *any* sort of action against cboat, he's easily got the best record of any industry insider by a wide WIDE margin.

Unless this is just a 'ban all insiders' movement, but I don't feel it is.

Seems logically inconsistent

yeah. I've seen generic gaffers repost some "shocking" news they read on some other board, spreading unsubstantiated rumors. But banning insiders for tips that take bad turns might eventually leave you with no insiders.

I can't believe this even needs to be explained. He's not getting "punished" because he's usually been right for the past nine years. If he starts getting a ton of shit wrong then I'm sure his grace period ends, but he'd also probably just stop posting if his sources turned sour.

The thing about truthfacts is that they may be 100% correct when issued, but then plans change.

Its like saying "There will be a red sox game tomorrow" and if tomorrow comes, and it rains, that is no longer true. Doesnt mean the truthfact was a lie.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Can't believe people are calling for a ban or otherwise lol. People are ready to jump in on the fun, but the moment that one thing turns up false, its the hammer? Fucking jokes.

Not confirmed insiders, but I remember some poster before the Xbox One reveal that had his sources saying the One ram was GDDR5 and Sony matched. Obviously his sources was wrong and he was permabanned for his BS.

Ok, random dude =/= CBoAT

We're talking like, a 9 year track record here. I'm not sure why you're comparing the two.

Also even if he got banned we all know bishop would save the day :D

Imm0rt4l

Basically. Hpw some of you are calling for a ban is beyond me.

We'll be seeing something from cboat along these lines soon enough.

apulogy1
alL intenral MSofT nfo poitned to late oct laucnh of ps4. eVry 1 srupriesd. sory for fasle excitemnt and inakurate predicshun! W1ll b mroe car eful w/futrue lekas!

Not confirmed insiders, but I remember some poster before the Xbox One reveal that had his sources saying the One ram was GDDR5 and Sony matched. Obviously his sources was wrong and he was permabanned for his BS.

That's a different situation then, I don't see the relevance to what's happening now.

EagleEyes

Looks like Cboat dropped a couple FALSEfacts today. :p Also I see the usual suspects in here calling out people who are calling out CBOAT. The cycle never ends.

oVerde

Banned
There are only really 2 lay-man verifiable leaks here.

fact #1 - unverifiable, no one is gonna break NDA to confirm it and if they deny it you can call damage control / pr.

fact #2 - unverifiable, no one is gonna break NDA to confirm it and if they deny it you can call damage control / pr.

fact # 3 - This one is really good. We've had rumours of late Oct release so not unheard of. Verifiable

fact # 4 - This one is really, really, really good. This is a huge claim that already has people dying. Verifiable

fact #5 - semiverifiable, possibility someone confirms it/denies it but the layman can't really do much.

fact #6 - already known

fact #7 - not a fact

So really while this seems super exciting, we only really have 2 #truthfacts that we can actually confirm are #truthfacts. One of which we already have rumours from another source.

I always could see through this curtain of lies.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus

10 years of pretty much bang-on leaks means that he skates.

Deitus

"GAF Law" is not be right or be banned. If anything, the rule is to not make claims unless you can back them up. Typically when people claim to have an inside source, a mod will demand proof. If you have nothing to backup your claim of having access to insider information, then you shouldn't boast about it. But CBOAT has already been through this process. In addition to whatever proof he may have provided the mods here, his previous leaks have been accurate enough to demonstrate that his sources, whatever they may be, are legit. He is not some random guy making up information and claiming that his aunt works for Microsoft, he legitimately has insider information, and GAF doesn't have a policy against him sharing it.

If anything, the argument people could be making here is that he shouldn't claim his leaks are "truthfact" unless they are 100% solid. Some of the things he has said in the past were absolutely solid, and he likely had information suggesting they were fairly set in stone. So treating these as fact would be justified. In this case, it seems his information was either inaccurate, out of date, or just flat out wrong. If he wasn't absolutely positive about this information, he shouldn't have phrased it as if he was.

I don't think he should be dissuaded from leaking what he knows or what he thinks he knows. He should just do a better job of labeling his leaks so we can tell the difference between the rumors and the "truthfacts".

I still don't think people are justified in being out for blood over this though.

I think, if not banned, he should be warned and told not to share iffy info again. He has a history of hits but the misses are really piling up and if other people made some of the claims he did they wouldn't have an account right now.

When taking into account certain... things, it's not really possible to ban him.

Enectic

Banned
While I don't have any problems with CBOAT, there are a couple of curiosities/mild annoyances that I have about him.

1. As a Microsoft leaker he didn't seem to pick up on many major announcements for Xbox One. Things like DRM, DRM policies, DRM reversal, removal of Kinect requirement, self publishing, Indie policy, launch date, inclusion of FIFA, and inclusion of headset were learned of from outside sources. He did expand on specifics regarding Microsoft on the Xbox One but many of those were either very vague, cannot be confirmed, and/or denied directly by Microsoft.

2. Claims that cannot be proved. These kind of annoy me. Many people take these as absolute truth (i.e. Xbox One yield issues, family share demo limitation, etc.). While CBOAT has a good track record these claims provide no other source and are thus unsubstantiated. This information gets passed around to various other places (N4G, GameFAQs, etc.) and are treated as truth. When people are questioned for the validity or source they usually respond with "Well CBOAT said..." or something along those lines. People also like to label Microsoft as spreading false information when denying some of CBOAT's claims but in reality we don't (and probably will never) know who's spreading false information. The overwhelming majority seems to side with CBOAT however.

Like I said, I have no problem with CBOAT. I have no problems with his posts and I'm grateful for the information he provides (if it's indeed legitimate). I can't vouch for his legitimacy however since I don't know the guy. It seems my main annoyance is how his information is labeled and how people interpret/handle the information he posts.

Are we really going to turn on CBOAT, someone who has been a consistently accurate source for leaks for 8 years, just because of the PS3 launch date? Things very easily may have changed between when he got the info and the announcement today. Everything else has been on point.

Really, some of you people are just fucking unreal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom