• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comic Book Day! - 12/22/10. Those Presents Are MINE; Ow My Eyes!; A Badge and An Axe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
cbd_12222010.jpg

cbd_header02-1.png

Here is this week's Diamond Comics Shipping List for: Wednesday, December 22nd 2010:

cbd_header03.png

Shipping This Week: DC Comics / Vertigo Comics / Wildstorm Comics

Spotlight On:
OCT100216 GREEN LANTERN LARFLEEZE CHRISTMAS SPECIAL #1 $3.99

IhaSa.jpg

It's BRIGHTEST (CHRISTMAS) DAY! What do you want for Christmas? Orange Lantern Larfleeze wants everything – including Santa Claus himself! And nothing, not even the heroes of the DC Universe can to stop the Orange Lantern from getting what he wants! Plus, you won't want to miss the strange holiday season shenanigans starring the rest of the Orange Lantern Corps! Superstar writer Geoff Johns and artist Brett Booth team up for an unbelievable sleigh ride adventure!

6VhAp.jpg

HaVYr.jpg

OCT100179 BATMAN ANNUAL #28 $4.99
OCT100172 BATMAN INCORPORATED #2 $3.99
OCT100217 GREEN LANTERN CORPS #55 (BRIGHTEST DAY) $2.99
OCT100212 JUSTICE LEAGUE GENERATION LOST #16 (BRIGHTEST DAY) $2.99
OCT100240 LEGION OF SUPER HEROES #8 $3.99
OCT100250 POWER GIRL #19 $2.99
OCT100203 SUPERMAN BATMAN #79 $2.99
OCT100233 TEEN TITANS COLD CASE #1 $4.99
OCT100295 WILDCATS #30 $2.99
OCT100253 ZATANNA #8 $2.99

cbd_header04.png

Shipping This Week: Marvel Comics

Spotlight On:
OCT100607 FANTASTIC FOUR #586 THREE $2.99

AxGwv.jpg

"THREE", Part 3. As the army of the Anti-priest begins an invasion of the Baxter Building, and the Invisible Woman is caught in between the warring factions of New and Old Atlantis, Reed Richards must decide the fate of the Earth amidst the chaos of Galactus devouring Nu-World. (Written by Jonathan Hickman, Artwork by Steve Epting)

W107S.jpg

E6FOb.jpg

OCT100600 CHAOS WAR DEAD AVENGERS #2 (OF 3) $3.99
OCT100604 INCREDIBLE HULKS #619 $3.99
OCT100612 INVINCIBLE IRON MAN #33 $3.99
OCT100571 SECRET AVENGERS #8 $3.99
OCT100670 SUPERIOR #3 (OF 6) (MR) $2.99
OCT100561 ULTIMATE COMICS DOOM #1 (OF 4) $3.99
OCT100563 ULTIMATE COMICS SPIDER-MAN #151 $3.99
OCT100659 UNCANNY X-MEN #531 $3.99
OCT100657 X-MEN #6 $3.99
OCT100662 X-MEN LEGACY #243 $2.99

cbd_header05.png

Shipping This Week: Image Comics / Top Cow Productions

Spotlight On:
JUN100463 INVINCIBLE #76 (MR) $2.99

hfXDA.jpg

THE VILTRUMITE WAR CONTINUES! It's all been leading up to this: Invincible vs. Thragg, one-on-one! It's the fight to end all fights, and the fate of the entire universe hangs in the balance. Whatever you do, don't miss this issue! (Written by Robert Kirkman, Artwork by Ryan Ottley)

RBgN3.jpg

gtExe.jpg

OCT100506 AGE OF BRONZE #31 (MR) $3.50
AUG100510 ARTIFACTS #4 (OF 13) $3.99
OCT100507 BOMB QUEEN VI #3 (OF 4) (RES) (MR) $3.50
OCT100508 CHEW #16 (MR) $2.99
OCT100456 DYNAMO 5 HOLIDAY SPECIAL 2010 #1 $3.99
JUL100446 HAUNT #12 $2.99
OCT100447 MICE TEMPLAR VOL 3 #1 $3.99
OCT100513 MORNING GLORIES #5 $3.50
OCT100515 SAVAGE DRAGON #167 $3.50
OCT100516 SKULLKICKERS #4 $2.99

cbd_header06.png

Shipping This Week: Dark Horse Comics

Spotlight On:
OCT100025 ROBERT E HOWARDS SAVAGE SWORD #1 $7.99

kUnv3.jpg

Continuing our tradition of bringing Robert E. Howard's incomparable characters to life, Dark Horse is proud to present the inaugural issue of Robert E. Howard's Savage Sword!

Each eighty--page, perfect--bound issue will showcase the exploits of Howard's heroes in new comic adventures and restored reprints of classic tales, and include a wide range of bonus material too! Some of these characters have never before appeared in comics--you'll see them here first, folks! Featuring the work of industry legends and today's top talent and hottest rising stars, this is a can't--miss series for fans of action--packed adventure comics!

* Featured in this issue: Paul Tobin (Spider--Man & the Secret Wars), Wellinton Alves (Nova), Marc Andreyko (Manhunter), Robert Atkins (G.I. Joe), Tim Bradstreet (Punisher), Barry Windsor Smith (Conan), and more!

* Inaugural issue of a brand--new anthology series!

* Includes Roy Thomas, Tim Conrad, and Barry Windsor--Smith's acclaimed Savage Sword of Conan epic, "Worms of the Earth," recolored and reprinted in its entirety!

TpXXN.jpg

OCT100038 GUILD VORK #1 DARICK ROBERTSON CVR $3.50
OCT100027 KULL THE HATE WITCH #2 (OF 4) TOM FLEMING CVR $3.50
NOV100018 STAR WARS INVASION RESCUES #6 (OF 6) $2.99
OCT100042 USAGI YOJIMBO #134 $3.50

cbd_header07-1.png

Shipping This Week: IDW Publishing

Spotlight On:
OCT100408 JOE HILLS THE CAPE ONE-SHOT $3.99

kVjJK.jpg

Locke & Key: Keys to the Kingdom takes a month break in December, but in its place is another Joe Hill extravaganza! This special one-shot takes Hill’s acclaimed short story from his best-selling short-story collection 20th Century Ghosts and adapts it to comics! The Cape will walk you along the fence of childhood innocence, and then throw you face first into a brick wall. Explore your dark side in this tale by Hill and Jason Ciaramella, with art and two covers by Zach Howard.

AiYuJ.jpg

OCT100400 ANGEL ILLYRIA #2 (OF 4) $3.99
OCT100429 KILL SHAKESPEARE #8 (OF 12) $3.99

cbd_header08-1.png

Shipping This Week: Antarctic Press / Aspen Comics / Avatar Press / Boom! Studios / Dynamite Entertainment / Fantagraphics / Oni Press / Radical Publishing / UDON Entertainment / Zenescope

Spotlight On:
AUG100812 ALAN MOORE NEONOMICON #3 (OF 4) (MR) $3.99

2yr9g.jpg

From the award-winning master of comics, Alan Moore, comes a brand new tale of Lovecraftian horror that will leave you too afraid to close your eyes, but more afraid to open them!

NEONOMICON, the sequel to THE COURTYARD Graphic Novel, is slithering its way onto shelves to take its place as a Great Old One of comics terror! Illustrated by Moore's favorite demented artist, Jacen Burrows, NEONOMICON pulls no punches as every full-colored page is covered in nightmares brought to gruesome life.

Agents Brears and Lamper are missing. Vanished without a trace from Salem Massachusetts. And the only clues available to the FBI are the gibberish ramblings of Randolph Carter and a book of the occult that makes even less sense. But just because no one understands what's happening doesn't mean it's not all real.

The horror as only just begun, and there's a whispering, lisping laughter that sounds an awful lot like Johnny Carcosa... Alan Moore's Neonomicon #3 is available with Regular and Wraparound covers by Jacen Burrows

zT59r.jpg

JGCrw.jpg

OCT100746 GOLD DIGGER CHRISTMAS SP #4 $3.50
AUG100928 GREEN HORNET YEAR ONE #7 $3.99
OCT100863 INCORRUPTIBLE #13 $3.99
JUL100924 KEVIN SMITH KATO #6 $3.99
SEP101054 KNIGHTS OF THE DINNER TABLE #169 $4.99
SEP100966 LONE RANGER & TONTO #4 $4.99
OCT101086 SIXTH GUN #7 $3.99
OCT100881 STAN LEE TRAVELER #2 $3.99
SEP101122 TANK GIRL BAD WIND RISING #1 (OF 4) $3.99
OCT100938 WARLORD OF MARS #3 $3.99

cbd_header09.png

Shipping This Week: Dark Horse / Bandai / Del Rey / Digital Manga Publishing / Tokyopop / Viz / Yen Press

Spotlight On:
OCT101164 PEEPO CHOO GN VOL 03 (MR) $12.95

zoins.jpg

Milton and Reiko begin to develop their own dialog. Milton has begun to understand that there is much more to appreciate about Japanese culture than he imagined, and Reiko's views on American people have also begun to change. The future has many options for these two. So when they part ways at the end of this trip, one has to wonder - will they ever see each other's home the same way again? (Story and Artwork by Felipe Smith)

w6LVX.jpg

OCT101163 CHI SWEET HOME GN VOL 04 $13.95
SEP101162 GENTE TP VOL 02 $12.99
SEP101165 HOUSE OF FIVE LEAVES TP VOL 02 $12.99
SEP101163 ILL GIVE IT MY ALL TOMORROW TP VOL 02 $12.99
SEP101189 OOKU INNER CHAMBERS GN VOL 05 (MR) $12.99

cbd_header10-1.png

Shipping This Week: Archie Comics / DC Kids / Marvel Kids / Bongo Comics / Boom! Studios / Kids' Comics / Electric Milk

Spotlight On:
OCT100776 ARCHIE #616 $2.99

ZCqTP.jpg

"Campaign Pain", Part 1. President Barack Obama and famed politician Sarah Palin get involved as Student Government campaigns spiral out of control at Riverdale High! The race between Archie and Reggie gets hot as campaign chaos reaches to the top, forcing an impromptu visit from these big-name politicos, who get pulled into the fray! (Story by Alex Simmons, Artwork by Dan Parent)

BpZTJ.jpg

OCT100288 CARTOON NETWORK ACTION PACK #55 $2.99
OCT100622 SPIDER-MAN #9 $2.99
OCT100899 MICKEY MOUSE & FRIENDS #303 $2.99
OCT100784 SONIC THE HEDGEHOG #220 $2.99
OCT100907 WALT DISNEYS COMICS & STORIES #714 $2.99

cbd_header11.png

Spotlight On:
SEP100104 AXE COP TP VOL 01 $14.99

7Ssv2.jpg

Bad guys, beware! Evil aliens, run for your lives! Axe Cop is here, and he's going to chop your head off! We live in a strange world, and our strange problems call for strange heroes. That's why Axe Cop--along with his partner Flute Cop and their pet T. rex Wexter--is holding tryouts to build the greatest team of heroes ever assembled.

Created by five year--old Malachai Nicolle and illustrated by his older brother, the cartoonist Ethan Nicolle, Axe Cop Volume 1 collects the entire original run of the hit webcomic that has captured the world's attention with its insanely imaginative adventures. Whether he's fighting gun--toting dinosaurs, teaming up with Ninja Moon Warriors, or answering readers' questions via his insightful advice column, "Ask Axe Cop," the adventures of Axe Cop and his incomparable team of crime fighters will delight and perplex even the most stoic of readers.

* Axe Cop debuted in January 2010 to glowing reviews from Entertainment Weekly, Wired, and dozens of other newspapers and magazines.

* Comics website Newsarama said, "Axe Cop wins the award for best comic ever!"

QnHEr.jpg

SVmid.jpg

SEP100250 BLUE BEETLE BLACK AND BLUE TP $17.99
SEP100252 HITMAN TP VOL 03 LOCAL HEROES NEW PTG $17.99
SEP100258 TEEN TITANS RAVAGER FRESH HELL TP $14.99
OCT100682 MARVEL UNIVERSE VS PUNISHER HC $19.99
OCT100702 MARVELS TP EYE OF CAMERA (RES) $19.99
OCT100486 VIKING TP VOL 01 LONG COLD FIRE (MR) $16.99
SEP100105 SINFEST VIVA LA RESISTANCE $14.99
OCT100434 REID FLEMING WORLDS TOUGHEST MILKMAN HC VOL 01 $29.99
OCT100928 ART OF VAMPIRELLA HC $29.99
OCT100866 INCORRUPTIBLE TP VOL 03 (MR) $16.99

cbd_header12-1.png

Spotlight On:
APR100300 SUPERMAN VS MUHAMMAD ALI STATUE $250.00

UvPHY.jpg

"Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee!"

It's the Man of Steel versus the man known as "The Greatest of All Time" in this statue that features Superman taking on Muhammad Ali.

Based on the cover art of the original 1978 tabloid version of the book "All-New Collectors' Edition: Superman vs. Muhammad Ali," this classic scene of the two greats squaring off against one another is available in 3-D form for the first time.

The release of this statue coincides with the reprinting of the story in two hardcover editions. All three products are officially licensed by Muhammad Ali Enterprises.

This hand-painted, cold-cast porcelain statue includes a logo base, measures approximately 9.25" high x 9.625" wide x 6.5" deep and is packaged in a 4-color box with a 4-color Certificate of Authenticity.

Limited Edition. Manufactured to order.

VVU9A.jpg

APR100317 BLACKEST NIGHT SER 6 ACTION FIGURES PI
MAY100315 DC COMICS 75TH ANNNIVERSARY SUPER DLX KUBRICK SET $99.99
OCT100534 TOP COW LOGO BASEBALL CAP $19.99
SEP100127 MILO MANARA MENS T/S LG $17.99

cbd_header01.png

Online Retailers of Comic Books & Graphic Novels:

Online Subscription Services for Monthly Comics:

Get Comics Books on Your iPod, iPad & iPhone:

Comic Shop Locator:

cbd_header13.png

Comic Book Resources: DC Comics Solicitations for March 2011 *NEW*
Newsarama: DC Comics Solicitations for March 2011 *NEW*

Comic Book Resources: Marvel Comics Solicitations for March 2011 *NEW*
Newsarama: Marvel Comics Solicitations for March 2011 *NEW*

Comic Book Resources: Image Comics Solicitations for February 2011
Newsarama: Image Comics Solicitations for February 2011

Comic Book Resources: Dark Horse Comics Solicitations for February 2011
Newsarama: Dark Horse Comics Solicitations for February 2011

Newsarama: Dynamite Entertainment Solicitations for February 2011

Newsarama: IDW Publishing Solicitations for March 2011 *NEW* (OH MY F*CKING GOD A NEW GODZILLA COMIC!!!)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Want previews? Then here ya go, courtesy of Comic Book Resources and Newsarama . Enjoy! :D

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Happy Reading and Happy Holidays! :D

Legion, Bats Inc, might check out that Thor one-shot. That Robert E. Howard thing is kinda tempting.

Oh, and the Larfleeze Christmas issue. I'm kind of a sucker for sappy Christmas comics, and the DC Holiday Special was surprisingly good this year.

Think the Agent Orange special will be included in one of the GL trades down the line? A risky gamble to pass on it now if it won't be collected...probably.

Zabka

I can't wait to read FF. All these plot threads are coming together..should be interesting to see what aspects of Nu-Earth Galactus runs into.

evilpigking said:
Think the Agent Orange special will be included in one of the GL trades down the line? A risky gamble to pass on it now if it won't be collected...probably.

It seems so seasonally-specific and probably not too related to other stories, so my first guess would be not likely.

Batman Annual #28
Batman Inc #2
Batman: Streets of Gotham #18
Green Lantern Corps #55
Green Lantern: Larfleeze Christmas Special
Morning Glories #5
Zatanna #8

Pretty good week.

tim1138

BATMAN INCORPORATED #2
GREEN LANTERN CORPS #55 (BRIGHTEST DAY)
GREEN LANTERN LARFLEEZE CHRISTMAS SPECIAL #1
JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #52
LEGION OF SUPER HEROES #8
WONDER WOMAN #605
ZATANNA #8

Should be a pretty good week, but I'm not gonna lie, the book I'm most looking forward too is the Larfleeze Christmas special. Don't let me down Geoff!

besada

Banned
Collected Reid Fleming is hot. Savage Sword looks pretty cool.

Anyone know if the new Legion series sucks or what?

mjc

I've been interested in reading Legion too but there are so many characters to juggle as a new reader. Does this new series ease in new readers?

Batman Inc.
Secret Avengers
INVINCIBLE :D

May pick up the Green Lantern holiday special but I've only started reading GL fairly recently and only up to the Wanted: Hal Jordan TPB.

mjc said:
I've been interested in reading Legion too but there are so many characters to juggle as a new reader. Does this new series ease in new readers?

eh, kind of...

the legion is rough for new readers, you might wanna try the latest run on adventure comics where it was superboy's old stories on the legion

but the best legion stuff if u can find it in back issues? (no trade exists) Legion Lost by Abnett and Lanning with olivier coipel at art

Adam Warren posted his Xmas card for 2010...

iPU25.jpg

It hurts. :*(

Good news, however; Emp volumes will be available on Dark Horse's digital store when it goes online in January!

tim1138

The Larfleeze Christmas special was hands down the best book of the week, I would love for him to get a monthly or even a limited series of his own.
The Art Baltazar & Franco back up story was pretty fantastic as well, now I want to get a Tiny Titans-ized Larfleeze drawing. :D

btrick

OMG that Superman vs Ali statue is so cool. :lol :lol

could be the coolest collector statue i've ever seen.

BenjaminBirdie said:
God damn, Fantastic Four I mean GOD THE HELL DAMN.
Damn it I knew I was forgetting something at the shop when I went today. Wouldn't have mattered; I don't recall seeing any copies so they must have been sold out.

I was so excited for Savage Dragon I forgot to grab Larfleeze X-Mas Special. lolol

What music do you guys prefer for reading comics?

I've been getting a lot of mileage out of Danny Elfman's great Hulk soundtrack.

Thai

Bane was better.
BenjaminBirdie said:
FUCK.

YES.

I can easily say without hyperbole that that was the best ending in the history of comics ever forever.

:lol :lol just stop it.

also, yanick paquette on a catwoman series full time? that needs to happen.

I probably should have paid more attention to it in the OP, but Wildstorm fans should be aware that this week's Wildcats #30 represents the FINAL COMIC to be published as part of the Wildstorm "universe" of titles. There are still some licensed comics to be released in the months to come, but this is it as far as comics featuring the Wildstorm characters go.

I snagged the last copy off the rack just to see how it all ends.

Ephemeris

BenjaminBirdie said:
FUCK.

YES.

I can easily say without hyperbole that that was the best ending in the history of comics ever forever.
:lol :lol :lol

*Internet high-five*

Though it makes me ponder this question: If Bruce Wayne chose
me
to be the
GAF Batman
can Evilore object?

Hmm.
ThinkingMan.jpg

Guys I got my christmas bonus and I want to splurge it some awesome original comic art. Any recommended artists and sites? Got my eye on a couple Quitely pages and an Adrian Tomine piece. Also whats the best way to present and frame? Any advice would be great!

Ended up grabbing the GL Xmas special and don't regret it. Also grabbed Zatanna, and the two Ultimate Comics.

Only read the Xmas special so far but seeing as how Zatanna is back to Dini this month it will be vastly superior to last month's. Beechen seriously has a talent at making good things go bad.

Tucah

you speak so well
The Larfleeze special was everything I could have ever wanted. Give him his own ongoing please. PLEASE.

And goddamnit I forgot to get FF argggghhhh

favouriteflavour said:
Guys I got my christmas bonus and I want to splurge it some awesome original comic art. Any recommended artists and sites? Got my eye on a couple Quitely pages and an Adrian Tomine piece. Also whats the best way to present and frame? Any advice would be great!

http://www.comicartfans.com/
http://www.theartistschoice.com

Buying direct from artists at conventions is good too. Some times you can barter for a deal on multiple pages. My buddy got a great Khoi Pham interior page with a lot of stuff an aspiring cartoonist can learn from, and some bullshit with guys in tights on it for $150-ish instead of $100-125 for the one page. Also it's been stated that if you can buy from the Inker (companies usually split the art between penciller and inker) you can get a better rate on pages that may otherwise command a higher price.

Custom frame would make sense for original art, however Amazon vendors sell inexpensive 11x17 frames that would work with standard comic art sized pages.

Though I'd display Quitely art at the bottom of my toilet. Haw! Haw! Haw! ;)

The Take Out Bandit said:
http://www.comicartfans.com/
http://www.theartistschoice.com

Buying direct from artists at conventions is good too. Some times you can barter for a deal on multiple pages. My buddy got a great Khoi Pham interior page with a lot of stuff an aspiring cartoonist can learn from, and some bullshit with guys in tights on it for $150-ish instead of $100-125 for the one page. Also it's been stated that if you can buy from the Inker (companies usually split the art between penciller and inker) you can get a better rate on pages that may otherwise command a higher price.

Custom frame would make sense for original art, however Amazon vendors sell inexpensive 11x17 frames that would work with standard comic art sized pages.

Though I'd display Quitely art at the bottom of my toilet. Haw! Haw! Haw! ;)

Thanks and boooooooooo, Quitely rocks and savage dragon is poop!

favouriteflavour said:
Thanks and boooooooooo, Quitely rocks and savage dragon is poop!

Quitely is great, when he's not drawing iconic characters. His superhero work is terrible, but his Vertigo stuff for DC is quite good. His superhero stuff might be more palatable presented in black & white, where some of his pin-ups actually look good.

Computer coloring is the new inking after all.

I have no idea where Savage Dragon is going these days, but I hope to hell Erik Larsen doesn't pussy out. There's some crazzzzzzy stuff going on in the book. I'm loving it. All with the caveat that I hope he doesn't hit some reset button at the end of this arc.

evilpigking said:
Ended up grabbing the GL Xmas special and don't regret it. Also grabbed Zatanna, and the two Ultimate Comics.

Only read the Xmas special so far but seeing as how Zatanna is back to Dini this month it will be vastly superior to last month's. Beechen seriously has a talent at making good things go bad.

Also, with Zatanna this month we get Cliff Chiang!!!!

I know this came out a couple weeks ago but is anyone else reading the Assassins Creed comic? I'm really enjoying it, Cameron Stewart is one of my favorite artists.

bucsfan0210 said:
I know this came out a couple weeks ago but is anyone else reading the Assassins Creed comic? I'm really enjoying it, Cameron Stewart is one of my favorite artists.
Oh, shit. Cameron Stewart is on that? He's done some pretty excellent work on Batman and Robin.

Did anybody see
Mon-El
being chosen to lead the Legion? Who'd everyone vote for. I put my particular internet-ballot in for Brainy.

Odious Tea said:
Did anybody see
Mon-El
being chosen to lead the Legion? Who'd everyone vote for. I put my particular internet-ballot in for Brainy.

I went with Lightning Lass as her brother has been leader plenty of times past and that would make for interesting drama.

Fun choice though considering the past year's build up for the character. :D

krypt0nian said:
I went with Lightning Lass as her brother has been leader plenty of times past and that would make for interesting drama.

Fun choice though considering the past year's build up for the character. :D
I just started reading Legion a few months ago, so I'm pretty blind to their history. :lol

I just thought Brainy running Legion would lead to certain hilarity.

tim1138

Odious Tea said:
Did anybody see
Mon-El

I voted for Earth-Man because I thought it'd make for a good read.

So Fantastic Four had a pretty hot cliffhanger(s) :haha

Odious Tea said:
Did anybody see
Mon-El

Oh I picked Phantom Girl but I knew she wouldn't win.

tim1138 said:
I voted for Earth-Man because I thought it'd make for a good read.
As I was reading through the list I found it particularly hilarious that Dawnstar voted for Earth-Man and that Brainiac voted for Brainiac. :lol

ReiGun

Picked the Larfleeze Christmas special to try and get myself in the holiday spirit. Very funny with an ending that made me go "d'awww. :("

ReiGun said:
Picked the Larfleeze Christmas special to try and get myself in the holiday spirit. Very funny with an ending that made me go "d'awww. :("
Same. Read it while waiting in line for my coffee. Very good overall, and the ending was quite sad. I do love the maze in the middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom