• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2016. I Think You're Fearless

Ok. Finally done with this round of marvels BOGO. Some good food stuff.

Busiek iron man
More of Peter David hulk
A ton of classic FF
Finished out amazing spidey classic and JMS runs (minus sins past and OMD)
Some Nocenti Daredevil
Ennis Punisher
A bunch others too

But there's still marvel comics I'm wanting to get on there.
JG Jones / Morrison Marvel Boy
cool manga like books like Sentinel and the Mary Jane books
Spider girl
Spidey tangled web
Untold tales of spidey
Pp spectacular spidey
Peter David's Captain Marvel
And a couple more.

Boogiepop

Not surprising. Cho never goes in for the long haul. It's a shame, but I don't think he could handle the schedule.

Yes.

Two are out now. They are good quality books.

Thanks guys. Still need to put some thought into what I want to do with all this, but at least now I'm a little better informed.

Also, damn. The Nova/Miles sale disappeared seemingly right before I went to place an order on that stuff. That's a shame, but oh well. Plenty more stuff I'm going to be purchasing shortly in this transition to semi-digital anyway...

Also, damn. The Nova/Miles sale disappeared seemingly right before I went to place an order on that stuff. That's a shame, but oh well. Plenty more stuff I'm going to be purchasing shortly in this transition to semi-digital anyway...

You sure? Because I thought that happened to me, but the prices were still sale prices when I searched and found them manually.

Edit: Yeah, they're back to the old disgusting prices.

Boogiepop

Okay, I've done the purchasing for the most part. Still need to decide exactly what I'm doing with Ms. Marvel in the future, but other than that I'm fairly digitized on the Marvel-and-Image-stuff-that-happened-to-be-on-sale-at-the-moment front.

Real quick, but just to confirm: that buy one get one probably won't work on preorders, right? I actually didn't even try as I just kind of assumed it wouldn't. And for my personal knowledge, am I cool to continue on into ANAD stuff without needing to have read all the Hickman Avengers/New Avengers->Secret Wars? Still holding out on that run one day eventually popping up in some nice omnibus(es) that have things collected in a sensible order.

Oh, and there's no chance there's some sort of way to force Comixology to provide me a list where I can filter out the countless free #1s I've accumulated over time, is there? They're nice to have to occasionally give something a try, but now that I'm actually planning on actively reading stuff on the thing, I kind of wish it had a "sorted by number of issues (purchased)" list or something...

What if the new hero is
Hijack
Out of all of Cyke's X-Men, THAT'S the one you pick? Not Triage, Goldballs, or Eva?
For all we know it could be a villain or even Rick Jones taking up the mantle of an old character lol. I'm just going to wait and see.
vernon-empire-shut-mouth.gif

Hmmm, maybe it is Quasar? Awfully strange choice if so.

And that doesn't sound like something Quasar would say either.
What about All-New All-Different Quasar?
Inhumans took off Disneys release schedule :(

Black Bolt will I ever see you, my friend?
This isn't helping my depression.
New Avengers is crazy

And I love it
It's the fucking best.
All of those books are still good and you have the last Loki book.

Bendis Iron Man is great
Both of them
Hope he appears again.

Is the Brashear in this book related to the one in Ultimates?
That's one of his sons. Adam Brashear is Blue Marvel while Max Brashear is his son who was apparently an Avengers villain at one point, and there's a second son who is basically Dr. Manhattan that lives outside of reality. Unclear if he still exists after Secret Wars, but it's likely because of the whole "outside of reality" thing.

If you like the Brashears, you should read Captain America and the Mighty Avengers. Fantastic book. Super fun and really good action. Papa Luke and Momma Jessica throw motherfuckers down for some ground and pound.

Which of the three current X-Men titles are worth reading?

I've been reading relatively mediocre reviews about Extraordinary X-Men, with its emphasis on mutant prejudice/discrimination which is quite frankly old at this point. I feel as if the 'in-universe' attitudes toward mutants no longer accurately reflect our modern-day (western) society as a whole. It pissed me off when Goldballs had a bottle thrown at him in Bendis' UXM run (and the overall 'muties' codswollop thrown at the team), as it insinuated that the public opinion of mutants was still akin to say the mid 1900s regarding people of colour.

I'm not saying we no longer have issues with prejudice and discrimination, because we do (police brutality, passive racism). I do feel however that we have successfully pushed forward as a society so it is not nearly as prevalent or blatant as the X-books make it seem.

If the series' writers wanna explore mutant prejudice, they could honestly do it so much better. Perhaps reference tokenism where other superhero squads would only have one mutant on their team to prove that they're 'diverse'. Maybe have an X-book exploring what graduates from the Jean Grey school are doing now (how they're handling college, work [employment especially. Not every mutant's gonna be an X-Man], and seeing their interactions with 'normal people' on an everyday basis). Of course these are (probably shitty but still) ideas to address modern-day prejudice/discrimination in these books.

An X-book dealing only with the heroics and nothing else would be nice too. Or another Wolverine and the X-men esque book.

I just want something that isn't blatantly shitting on mutants so hard.

I totally went on an offtopic tangent lmao. Back to my original question.

Are the new Uncanny X-Men and All-new X-men comics any good? And should I give Extraordinary X-Men a chance anyway?

Which of the three current X-Men titles are worth reading?

I've been reading relatively mediocre reviews about Extraordinary X-Men, with its emphasis on mutant prejudice/discrimination which is quite frankly old at this point. I feel as if the 'in-universe' attitudes toward mutants no longer accurately reflect our modern-day (western) society as a whole. It pissed me off when Goldballs had a bottle thrown at him in Bendis' UXM run (and the overall 'muties' codswollop thrown at the team), as it insinuated that the public opinion of mutants was still akin to say the mid 1900s regarding people of colour.

I'm not saying we no longer have issues with prejudice and discrimination, because we do (police brutality, passive racism). I do feel however that we have successfully pushed forward as a society so it is not nearly as prevalent or blatant as the X-books make it seem.

If the series' writers wanna explore mutant prejudice, they could honestly do it so much better. Perhaps reference tokenism where other superhero squads would only have one mutant on their team to prove that they're 'diverse'. Maybe have an X-book exploring what graduates from the Jean Grey school are doing now (how they're handling college, work [employment especially. Not every mutant's gonna be an X-Man], and seeing their interactions with 'normal people' on an everyday basis). Of course these are (probably shitty but still) ideas to address modern-day prejudice/discrimination in these books.

An X-book dealing only with the heroics and nothing else would be nice too. Or another Wolverine and the X-men esque book.

I just want something that isn't blatantly shitting on mutants so hard.

I totally went on an offtopic tangent lmao. Back to my original question.

Are the new Uncanny X-Men and All-new X-men comics any good? And should I give Extraordinary X-Men a chance anyway?

Uncanny tries to be Remender's Uncanny X-Force and fails miserably. All-New focuses more on teen drama. It's getting better, but the first 5 issues are super whiny and not fun to read.

Extraordinary really doesn't have that emphasis. Yes, there's some stuff that it focuses on it and it's pretty brutal (Nightcrawler's flashback), but it's way more outlandish and over the top than the other two. They go to Limbo, Weirdworld, and now a new version of the Age of Apocalypse. They also fight Mr. Sinister, and he's always a guaranteed "ridiculous fucking experiment bullshit," so that's nice. It's probably the best of the three, or at least my favorite. It's the most superhero X-Men of the three. Developing characters like Glob, Anole, Ernst, and No-Girl has paid off. Honestly, if they would replace Young Jean the book would be way better.

The prejudice thing will always be essential to the X-Men. It's always going to be a part of their books and it always has.

Uncanny tries to be Remender's Uncanny X-Force and fails miserably. All-New focuses more on teen drama. It's getting better, but the first 5 issues are super whiny and not fun to read.

Extraordinary really doesn't have that emphasis. Yes, there's some stuff that it focuses on it and it's pretty brutal (Nightcrawler's flashback), but it's way more outlandish and over the top than the other two. They go to Limbo, Weirdworld, and now a new version of the Age of Apocalypse. They also fight Mr. Sinister, and he's always a guaranteed "ridiculous fucking experiment bullshit," so that's nice. It's probably the best of the three, or at least my favorite. It's the most superhero X-Men of the three. Developing characters like Glob, Anole, Ernst, and No-Girl has paid off. Honestly, if they would replace Young Jean the book would be way better.

The prejudice thing will always be essential to the X-Men. It's always going to be a part of their books and it always has.

My one issue with Extraordinary is it is infuriatingly being coy with whatever Cyclops did during the timeskip. Beating the horse level at that.

Of course. I'm just saying the way writers express this prejudice/discrimination should evolve with the times instead of continuing the simple 'anti-mutant' schtick which, again, is no longer an accurate representation of modern society. Racism has become more passive and subtle, and extreme acts of discrimination are no longer the norm.

I vaguely remember reading about one X-Men arc involving Bobby's inner racism as his secondary mutation was developing.

Nurse Annie accused him of being a racist, that he was so afraid of what was happening to him because he enjoys to be a mutant and be able to say he is a mutant, but also a one who loves to be able to pass as human any time he wants [source]

Things like this are way more interesting to me than just humans vs mutants.

Hell just having an arc where the heroics of the X-Men actually manage to change public attitudes towards mutants would be nice.

I'll take you up on Extraordinary X-Men. Is Iceman still gay?

My one issue with Extraordinary is it is infuriatingly being coy with whatever Cyclops did during the timeskip. Beating the horse level at that.
It's not just Extraordinary that's doing that, though. All-New is just as bad about it. Especially since young Cyclops is doing a fuck ton of angsting (not a word, but I'm sticking with it) about it.
Of course. I'm just saying the way writers express this prejudice/discrimination should evolve with the times instead of continuing the simple 'anti-mutant' schtick which, again, is no longer an accurate representation of modern society. Racism has become more passive and subtle, and extreme acts of discrimination are no longer the norm.

I vaguely remember reading about one X-Men arc involving Bobby's inner racism as his secondary mutation was developing.

Things like this are way more interesting to me than just humans vs mutants.

Hell just having an arc where the heroics of the X-Men actually manage to change public attitudes towards mutants would be nice.

I'll take you up on Extraordinary X-Men. Is Iceman still gay?

The anti-mutant sentiment is stronger here because of the Terrigen Mists and M-Pox, though. People aren't just hating on mutants. It's Inhumans, too.

Yes Iceman is still gay. He even talks to Anole about it a bit about how to accept and "deal with it," so to speak, since Anole is also gay. It's actually a nice moment. He's not all-of-a-sudden full-blown "I'm gay now everyone," as if he was never straight. I actually think the handling of older Bobby being gay has been done really well. The moment he and young Bobby had in Uncanny #600 was really good, I thought.

Yes Iceman is still gay. He even talks to Anole about it a bit about how to accept and "deal with it," so to speak, since Anole is also gay. It's actually a nice moment. He's not all-of-a-sudden full-blown "I'm gay now everyone," as if he was never straight. I actually think the handling of older Bobby being gay has been done really well. The moment he and young Bobby had in Uncanny #600 was really good, I thought.
I lowkey love the fact that Bobby's gay now since I've had a crush on him for eons lmao.

Speaking of Uncanny #600... was Beast's trial ever resolved in a later X-book or was that completely tossed aside when Secret Wars happened?

The Mighty Thor #6
b0ZzW.gif

The Uncanny Inhumans #7
Fucking A, the plot doth thicken. I'm very curious about Reader's particular word he chose at the end. Because that just seems too good.

Huck #6
What a beautiful final issue. Good action scene, but not drawn out. Huck's not a fighter after all. What a great way to end the villain. But FUCK Millar's dialogue choice. And aside from issue #3 you were doing so well. Either way I can't wait for the movie.
I lowkey love the fact that Bobby's gay now since I've had a crush on him for eons lmao.

Speaking of Uncanny #600... was Beast's trial ever resolved in a later X-book or was that completely tossed aside when Secret Wars happened?

It was basically tossed aside, though he is running with the Inhumans right now in Uncanny Inhumans attempting to find a solution for M-Pox. He hasn't appeared in the current arc of Uncanny Inhumans, though.

So basically it sounds like he's left the X-Men, but he's working with them purely for the sake of saving mutants.

Hitman - Ten Thousand Bullets: Damn, the series found its feet quite quickly.
The "best friend" death and the fake-out was bloody well written.
. The dialogue between the characters is so good. I need the next trade now!

Okay, the one other bit of info I need for sure in making a decision, probably: how is (are?) the Ms. Marvel hardcover(s)?

There's also an omnibus coming out later this year collecting everything pre Secret Wars.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Vader Down is great, but Vader is written way to badass for my taste. Nothing that would put me of the book, but I always saw him as a silent tactician and as no one who throw one liners away.

Pollux

Just getting into comics, so far I've been reading:

Thor
Invincible Iron Man
Dr. Strange
Black panther
All New X-Men

I plan on getting into:

International Iron Man
Captain America
Possibly the Star Wars comics
Extraordinary xmen
All new Avengers

What's the main Spider-Man comic these days? Any other suggestions?

Zombine

Banned

Thor
Invincible Iron Man
Dr. Strange
Black panther
All New X-Men

I plan on getting into:

International Iron Man
Captain America
Extraordinary xmen
All new Avengers

Power Man & Iron Fist is super charming. Spider-Gwen is really damn good. Also, for the love of god pick up Vision. It's the best ANAD book.

Also, Weirdworld.

Thor
Invincible Iron Man
Dr. Strange
Black panther
All New X-Men

I plan on getting into:

International Iron Man
Captain America
Extraordinary xmen
All new Avengers

Amazing Spider-Man is the main Spidey book.

Vision is probably the best new series from ANAD. Very offbeat compared to Marvel's normal output. It's very good.

Halfway though the 4th Fourth World omnibus. Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen, Forever People and New Gods just kind of fizzle out. Thankfully there are a few more of the best series of the four, Mister Miracle. Highlights have to be Barda vs Oberon interactions.

Are Darkseid and Orion even going to get a climactic battle in this series? Thankfully I have Simonson's Orion run in my backlog, looking forward to that.

Owzers

I think i'm going to give the new Suicide Squad a try over Superman due to thinking there is going to be a superman-line crossover eventually and i'd just drop the book anyways. Removed Supes from my dcbs list for now.

Black Panther by Christopher Priest
Yup yup. What Messi said

You can buy the run digitally this weekend on CMX. They're having a buy one get one free. So the whole run could be picked up for around $50. Enter Marvel in the promo code as you check out.

It's also on Marvel Unlimitted. Marvels online subscription service.

And they've recently released collected editions in print. 3 volumes collects it.
http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/Marvel/BLACK-PANTHER-BY-PRIEST-TP-VOL-01-COMPLETE-COLLECTION/MAY150831
http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/Marvel/BLACK-PANTHER-BY-PRIEST-TP-VOL-02-COMPLETE-COLLECTION/SEP150877
http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/Marvel/BLACK-PANTHER-BY-PRIEST-TP-VOL-03-COMPLETE-COLLECTION/JAN160960

Top Bottom