• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comics - September 2011 |OT| DC's nU Look

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spike Spiegel said:
No kidding. :(

D5NGL.jpg

09dFc.jpg

EEEAAGH!

S'like...Jil Phimenez....

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Darkflight said:
I feel your pain, worth it though to get a nice big chunk to read through, I think it's due in October?

Yeah, wikipedia says it's October 18th.

Machine

I've been struggling with which DC titles to get. I will probably feel dirty about it but I may buy OMAC. While I acknowledge the Didio hate, I looked at the preview and love Keith Giffen's art. He's really channeling Kirby. Also, the first storyline appears to have Fourth World/New Gods characters which I dig.

Machine said:
I've been struggling with which DC titles to get. I will probably feel dirty about it but I may buy OMAC. While I acknowledge the Didio hate, I looked at the preview and love Keith Giffen's art. He's really channeling Kirby. Also, the first storyline appears to have Fourth World/New Gods characters which I dig.

No way I'm missing that. I don't care if Chip Kidd co-wrote it.

bangai-o

Banned
i dont give a damn you guys hate Tony Daniel. Ive been subbed to Detective for almost 10 years. Not stopping now.

bangai-o said:
i dont give a damn you guys hate Tony Daniel. Ive been subbed to Detective for almost 10 years. Not stopping now.

Nothing wrong with that. Like I've said a few times before. Tony Daniel isn't amazing, but he isn't bad by any stretch either. He's a perfectly "fine" writer. His story on B&R with the angel guy was a lot of fun.

Slayven

Spiderisland is the funnest thing in comics since Cosmo the space dog and Rocket Raccoon had their stare down.

brucewaynegretzky said:
Nothing wrong with that. Like I've said a few times before. Tony Daniel isn't amazing, but he isn't bad by any stretch either. He's a perfectly "fine" writer. His story on B&R with the angel guy was a lot of fun.
Uhh that was Peter Tomasi, who's still writing Batman & Robin but with Bruce and Damian as the leads. As I recall Tony Daniel did a Two-Face story, some stuff with evil kung fu masters, and gave us a mob princess as the new Catgirl.

bangai-o said:

Some like to pretend that if it's not the best writer or the top three artists it's crap. Daniel, since the so-so Battle for the Cowl has been doing just fine. Hell, I've dealt with shit artists in Uncanny X-Force issues here and there and lived.

Read what you like. It's your money.

Spike Spiegel said:
Uhh that was Peter Tomasi, who's still writing Batman & Robin but with Bruce and Damian as the leads. As I recall Tony Daniel did a Two-Face story, some stuff with evil kung fu masters, and gave us a mob princess as the new Catgirl.

Well shit... Was Peter Tomasi the one who did the Black Mask stuff on Batman? I enjoyed that too. I regularly confuse Tomasi and Daniels.

FoneBone

Machine said:
I'd originally had no interest due to the Didio thing, but yeah, the preview actually looks promising. Here's hoping.

Xater

Tawney Bomb said:
I am too, but how you'd pick Tony Daniel over Scott Snyder is baffling.

Snyder is doing Batman but that is not out tomorrow. ;)

I also just saw that Dan Abnett will be writing Resurrection Man. I know nothing about this character but I like Abnett's Warhammer 40k stuff.

Xater said:

I also just saw that Dan Abnett will be writing Resurrection Man. I know nothing about this character but I like Abnett's Warhammer 40k stuff.

They wrote the original 90s Ressurection Man series too. :)

brucewaynegretzky said:
Well shit... Was Peter Tomasi the one who did the Black Mask stuff on Batman? I enjoyed that too. I regularly confuse Tomasi and Daniels.
Tomasi wrote 'Black Adam: The Dark Age' and took over 'Green Lantern Corps' during the Sinestro/Blackest period, before moving over to 'Batman & Robin'. Tony Daniel took over 'Batman' after Grant Morrison left post- "R.I.P." and has been writing/illustrating it ever since; he also wrote "Battle for the Cowl," which is another reason people give him sh*t.

The Black Mask stuff I think you're referring to (with Red Hood?) was written by Judd Winick.

Spike Spiegel said:
Tomasi wrote 'Black Adam: The Dark Age' and took over 'Green Lantern Corps' during the Sinestro/Blackest period, before moving over to 'Batman & Robin'. Tony Daniel took over 'Batman' after Grant Morrison left post- "R.I.P." and has been writing/illustrating it ever since; he also wrote "Battle for the Cowl," which is another reason people give him sh*t.

The Black Mask stuff I think you're referring to (with Red Hood?) was written by Judd Winick.

Ok thanks for organizing that in my head. I'm pretty sure that means I'm thinking of Daniels for the Black Mask stuff I'm reading. Red Hood wasn't too prevalent during that storyline. It set up Alice Stringer as a crazy bitch and put the new Arkham in the Asylum. It was the first storyline after Battle for the Cowl. (which I also didn't despise, but I certainly wouldn't call it "good.")

Xater said:

Oh yeah, you're right, I wad getting ahead of myself, now I'm bummed. Resurrection Man sounds cool.

So, I really like Batman, but which of the new no.1's would be best for someone who isn't at all up to date with recent happenings? I'm leaning towards Detective Comics and Batman, because Dark Knight and Batman & Robin seem to follow on directly from previous events I'm not clued up on.
Bruce Wayne has a son now?

Garryk

Bootaaay said:
So, I really like Batman, but which of the new no.1's would be best for someone who isn't at all up to date with recent happenings? I'm leaning towards Detective Comics and Batman, because Dark Knight and Batman & Robin seem to follow on directly from previous events I'm not clued up on.

You don't need to know anything. If something from the old DCU comes up, they will drop you a footnote.

Bootaaay said:
just get batman #1 in September, you don't really need to know anything.

Anyway the things I'm anticipating this month and next:

- batman #1
- schism hopefully picking up before the final issue
- wolverine and the xmen in october
- uncanny xmen #1 in November I think it is? Or is that october as well
- next x-force issue

waiting sucks.

Xater

Bootaaay said:

As long as a new story arc starts you can jump in. No reason to be afraid of anything.

There was never anything to be afraid of in the first place... the main concern is that once you do want to jump in, then JUMP IN. Too many potential readers these days will dip their proverbial toe in the waters, then back away because the waters look too cold and deep, or because they haven't swam in a while, or because somebody might've peed in the water.

Stop worrying about it and JUMP IN! >:|

So do I pretty much have no chance of grabbing one of these #1's? I want to get Detective and Action Comics tomorrow but I don't have any type of subscription, and I feel like these are probably flying off the shelf. Digital is only a last resort for me.

PushTheButtonMax said:
So do I pretty much have no chance of grabbing one of these #1's? I want to get Detective and Action Comics tomorrow but I don't have any type of subscription, and I feel like these are probably flying off the shelf. Digital is only a last resort for me.

Just go to your LCS. The only way they wouldn't have any copies would be if they were fairly incompetent.

Penguin

Satchwar said:
new52checklist-1.jpg

i'm done for the rest of the month :D

i'm just kidding. i'll post my real one when i get out of class :(

Lucky for me, this is my reading order for the rest of the month.

Sans picking up Amazing/Ultimate Spider-man and Venom.

notworksafe

brucewaynegretzky said:
Just go to your LCS. The only way they wouldn't have any copies would be if they were fairly incompetent.
Tell that to bangai-o. lol

Spike Spiegel said:
There was never anything to be afraid of in the first place... the main concern is that once you do want to jump in, then JUMP IN. Too many potential readers these days will dip their proverbial toe in the waters, then back away because the waters look too cold and deep, or because they haven't swam in a while, or because somebody might've peed in the water.

Stop worrying about it and JUMP IN! >:|
Yes, this. I was away from comics for a long time and I worried about catching up and other nonsense. But then I just said "screw it" and bought some books that looked interesting and read up on Wikipedia/Comic Vine when I came across some stuff that referenced things I had missed out up. Been happy as a clam ever since.

Satch

Banned
why isn't wonder woman coming out tomorrow :(

and by coming out i mean admitting her love for artemis

but seriously :'(

Satchwar said:
why isn't wonder woman coming out tomorrow :(

and by coming out i mean admitting her love for artemis

but seriously :'(
Because Bruce and Selina hit the streets on the same day next week, and there's no way Diana's going to let that go down without being there to put up a fight. ;p

Satch

Banned
Spike Spiegel said:
Because Bruce and Selina hit the streets on the same day next week, and there's no way Diana's going to let that go down without being there to put up a fight. ;p
You.

:mad:

bangai-o said:
because do i read X-Men, Uncanny X-men, X-Men Legacy, Wolverine and the X-men, New X-men, Fabulous X-men, Astonishing X-men or Ultimate X-men?

Superman was getting that many books decades before X-Men even got a second book.

Jimmy Olsen and Lois Lane had books for goodness sake.

Batman got to be pretty bad around the 80s and 90s too.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Even Midtown Comics, though, is limiting 1 per person for certain titles.

I think that's a great thing. Still doesn't change the fact that most places will have enough for most people who want one to get one.

KidDork

bangai-o said:

You're not alone. I will continue my lifelong dedication to that title because I'm too stubborn to quit. But now I have to pick up Batman as well for Snyder. Nicely played, DC. Nicely played.

As for my pick up list, it will include Tec, Casanova, the Spider Island Avengers thingie and Batgirl.

Satch

Banned
Spike Spiegel said:
C'mon, it'd be fun! :D

http://i.imgur.com/x8EcO.jpg

C'mon! :D
The only good that could possibly come out of that relationship is the inevitable perfect child that's stronger, smarter, richer, and more beautiful than any other being on the planet.

And she (yes a girl) would have a golden bat breastplate instead of the eagle like Diana.

That's what I did two free comic book days ago. I just jumped into comics all of a sudden. Before that I had only read trades and picked up the occasional floppy issue now and then throughout my life. Decided I would start reading when Marvel's Heroic Age was starting and just jumped in with everything. Looked at Wikipedia and other Wiki's to get plots that interested me and went back and found trades / back issues that I really wanted to read.

I'd pick up Batman & Robin. Morrison's run was great. Damian's an excellent character. I wasn't a fan of the series after Morrison left but I'm willing to try the new #1. Think I'll be skipping Detective though. Wasn't a fan of Batman after Morrison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom