• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comics - September 2011 |OT| DC's nU Look

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Nesotenso said:
Well I like the art style better than Spectacular and the animation itself seems on par. The writing on Spectacular was great and I hope it is the case with USM as well. With the involvement of Dini , Bendis and Man of Action group I am looking forward to it. Also it seems there will be a lot of team ups in this which you couldn't do in Spectacular because Sony was producing that. From the descriptions at Comic Con and the Clark Glegg interview it seemed like Fury plays a big part in this and story seems to be like what the USM comic would have been with Peter training with the Ultimates before his untimely demise.
Agent Coulson is apparently going to be spending his time undercover as the principal at Peter's school, which sounds exceptionally lame. :/

Penguin

krypt0nian said:
3DS is in full on panic mode.

Exactly. :)

Don't want to derail the thread

But the price drop/free games seems like panic mode.

This.. whatever you want to name it.. seems like them wanting to appease 3rd parties after the fact.

Perhaps, they need to be a bit more open during the development cycle.

Nesotenso

Dan said:
Agent Coulson is apparently going to be spending his time undercover as the principal at Peter's school, which sounds exceptionally lame. :/

I don't mind the Son of Coul. I like the writing staff and hope the writing is the same level as Spectacular.

bangai-o

Banned
i dont mind playing Monster Hunter with my right index finger bent up and over to move the camera.

oh and i bought The Unwritten issue 2 at comixology just now.

ReiGun

Like I said in the 3DS thread that's going on, as long as Nintendo gets its shit before the next Pokemanz hits, it's all good.

Penguin

Getting back to comics, apparently Static Shock is also out today?

That title got like... no type of... coverage at all this past week.

Penguin said:

only one I am picking up but I have to agree on the lack of promotion/preview

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Penguin said:

is it supposed to be good? never heard of it.

Slayven

Nesotenso said:
I don't mind the Son of Coul. I like the writing staff and hope the writing is the same level as Spectacular.
Or A:EMH. I hope they have the eps actually ready to go, unlike another teenage superhero show.

notworksafe

Penguin said:

Yeah, no coverage at all of it. Kind of a a bummer. I'll be buying it for Dwayne. :(

Hope it's good!

wenis said:
is it supposed to be good? never heard of it.
Static is a pretty cool character and has had some good stories in the past. If you remember the WB cartoon Static Shock, it's the same character from that.

Ahahahahahahah.

The last page of Detective Comics actually has something WORSE on it than the gross reveal.

Holy moly.

First time the word "Fangasm" is used in a professionally manufactured comic created by grownups?

On the other side of the spectrum, there's a page in the new Casanova that's pretty much the most narratively incredible thing I've ever read.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
brucewaynegretzky said:
Just go to your LCS. The only way they wouldn't have any copies would be if they were fairly incompetent.

My LCS proudly told me the other day that they'd ordered 4 self copies of everything. It's a pretty small shop with owners that don't know much about comics but still, that's ridiculous. A good store owner can sell a fuckload of comics this month if they know their regulars and the talents on the book. It makes my soul cry going into that shop. When I was in the other day I sold a guy about 5 books he was interested in, the owners didn't have an idea of the books i was giving the guy. But they're the only game not only in town but for miles and miles around.

JAGII

Neo Member
I'm in for Action, Swamp Thing, and Animal Man today. Maybe Stormwatch and JLI next month.

I'm interested in hopping back into X-Factor, and I'm dying to read Cassonova, but I just can't stand going to my LCS. Its such a hateful little place -- every comic book stereotype made flesh.

First time ever picking up weeklies on the release date for me. I was even standing outside my lcs before it opened because I didn't know their stock situation. :lol

Slayven

Liked Stormwatch despite the art, Action was too "jumpy" for me, and JLI wasn't as bad as the preview made it out to be.

Xater

Ok Action comics #1 was really good top to bottom. This is a Superman I can get behind. So I guess the plan is to tell new Supes past in Action and present Supes storys in Superman?

JAGII

Neo Member
SpiderJerusalem said:
got JLI anyway...wasn't that bad I guess just not what I want from a JLI

How does it stack up against Generation Lost? I'm not expecting classic JLI here, but that series was good enough.

Penguin

JAGII said:
How does it stack up against Generation Lost? I'm not expecting classic JLI here, but that series was good enough.

It doesn't stack up to Generation Lost to me personally.

But I also liked how the team dynamic grew and developed over the course of that series so shall give this one a fair shake.

I did enjoy the issue, but boy if folks thought nothing happened in JLA 1, JLI 1 seems to remedy that as a lot of stuff seems to happen!

Yanick Paquette is on Swamp Thing? I may just very well have to try this out. His were the best Batman Inc. pencils. Wish I picked that up over Detective Comics now. I even planned on not getting Detective Comics just because of Daniels but I fell into new 52 hype.

Foob

BenjaminBirdie said:
On the other side of the spectrum, there's a page in the new Casanova that's pretty much the most narratively incredible thing I've ever read.
I know what you're talking about and I agreeeee

god damn this comic rules

FoneBone

JAGII said:
If the preview's anything to go by, don't hold your breath.

Non-Morrison DCnU pick is Animal Man, hands-down. Just terrific. Swamp Thing was also predictably excellent. Stormwatch still has some promise, but the dialogue was underwhelming and the art more so.

I hope Marvel catches on and stars releasing more of their books day-&-date with print. I'd love to read Secret Avengers and all upcoming, post schism, X-men books on my iPad.

At least they're releasing Spider-island digitally day and date. And they better do the same with the new Joe Mad Spider-man book that is releasing in... November?

Foob

FoneBone said:
Non-Morrison DCnU pick is Animal Man, hands-down. Just terrific.
DC really should have just called this the new 2 and just released Animal Man and Action Comics every week

would be the greatest thing to ever happen

FoneBone

krypt0nian said:
Good to see Detective getting good reviews out there. Daniels stepped up his game and he deserves it.
But he doesn't deserve people getting his last name right, apparently... :p

BenjaminBirdie said:
DON'T LET ANYONE SPOIL THUNDERBOLTS FOR YOU.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA WOW!!!
Yeah, that put a big smile on my face when I got there. A lot of people were worried about the new direction of the book, what with the team splitting up and all; but that ending was so full of "HOLY SH*T THIS IS AWESOME! COMICS!" promise that it wipes away any fears.

Thunderbolts is so fun. :D

JAGII

Neo Member
FoneBone said:
If the preview's anything to go by, don't hold your breath.

Non-Morrison DCnU pick is Animal Man, hands-down. Just terrific. Swamp Thing was also predictably excellent. Stormwatch still has some promise, but the dialogue was underwhelming and the art more so.

Yeah, that preview snuffed out most of my cautious optimism. But I went into Generation Lost with low expectations and I mostly enjoyed it, so I was hoping there was some hope here. I'll probably cave when the price drops -- I love grouchy Guy Gardner!

And you're right about Animal Man and Swamp Thing -- so good!

besada

Banned
My thoughts:

Batgirl: Okay. Some promise there. Decent writing, nice art.
JLI: Bad writing, bad plotting, mediocre art.
Detective: Interesting but a little spotty. Probably just first-issue jitters. Interesting ending.
Stormwatch: Meh. Too much crammed into a single issue, very little of it interesting. Art is weak.
Action: I liked it. It's got some of the same problems all the #1's have, which is they're trying to tell a story while simultaneously cramming in a bunch of backstory, but I like the take on Supes. Nice ending.
Swamp Thing: Still a little weirded out by the whole Alec Holland being alive bit, and Swampy is late showing up in the book, but the writing was solid and it started what appears to be an interesting plot. I liked the art.

This whole thing with some books being set five years in the past is, I imagine, a little confusing for new readers. The Supes they see in Action and the Supes they see elsewhere barely seem like the same people. They're letting Morrison go hog wild with Supes in Action, but I guess he gives up his youthful folly and returns to the same stoic big red Boy Scout by the time he starts showing up in the current books. And what the hell is Batman doing A) supporting Booster and B)
secretly joining the JLI on a mission

Chairhome

So I just picked up the digital version of Action Comics. Pretty good, but not sure if I'll pick it up regularly. Any other #1s this week worth getting? Was originally going to get Detective Comics, but some not great impressions have me thinking otherwise. Probably should wait for Batman or Dark Knight, right?

Chairhome said:
So I just picked up the digital version of Action Comics. Pretty good, but not sure if I'll pick it up regularly. Any other #1s this week worth getting? Was originally going to get Detective Comics, but some not great impressions have me thinking otherwise. Probably should wait for Batman or Dark Knight, right?

Give Animal Man and Swamp Thing a shot. Different than your average superhero fare but top notch.

Satch

Banned
Chairhome said:
Take Benjamin's recommendations, and I also suggest giving Batgirl a shot.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
notworksafe said:
Static is a pretty cool character and has had some good stories in the past. If you remember the WB cartoon Static Shock, it's the same character from that.

I'll certainly give McDaniel and Rozum a hand, it was a good read. I'll probably stick with it for the next 2 issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom