• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comics - September 2011 |OT| DC's nU Look

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snaku

Banned
Reposting my thoughts from the 52 thread.

AC#1 was pretty cool. Love the new take on early Supes, and much prefer how he's being handled here than say Earth One. I'm sure Morrison will do a lot of interesting things with young & reckless Supes.

Detective was a fairly standard Bats/Joker story, but what a grisly ending.

Batgirl on the other hand was fantastic from cover to cover. I love how Gail Simone isn't shying away from The Killing Joke, and making it it a part of who Babs is now. Her interactions with her new roommate were nice, and I hope Gail expounds upon that relationship further. The Mirror seems like the perfect villain for Babs to tackle right out of her recovery. She'll face her inner demons, and will probably come out stronger.

Animal Man Swamp Thing Holy Shit

I've never touched an Animal Man book in my life, and I probably never would have if not for the glowing previews of this issue. What a creepy comic. Not just in story content, but the visuals themselves are quite unsettling. It looks like a nightmare, even outside of Buddy's nightmare. Really great setup for what I'm sure will be a deliciously painful story to read. Foreshadowing galore going on in here.

Swamp Thing has been a long time favorite of mine growing up, but I haven't read it in years. Seeing him return to the DCU was the big draw for me here, and the Supes, Bats, Aquaman cameos didn't disappoint. Seems like the Death of Superman remains in DCnU continuity just for Holland to have another hero to relate to. Dying to see a Supes/Thing team up now. Snyder's definitely got some Alan Moore quality shit brewing here, let's hope he can continue to deliver. I will say The Neck Thing was quite disturbing.

Foob

for once i enjoyed an issue of secret avengers

for once i enjoyed a warren ellis book that wasn't planetary

Vyer

Stormwatch was...meh.
Action Comics was good.
Detective was better than I expected. Dark, ultraviolent joker and somewhat inexperienced Bats. And he can also draw a nice Batman.

LCS had neither Animal Man nor Swamp Thing in stock. Looks like I'll be hittin' up the digital.

My shop only had 4 books left for DC today and one was a huge stack of Action Comics, it was nuts. The books I did get though were pretty good.

Action Comics was great, I like this arrogant Superman. I just wonder if it'll stick around in the actual Superman title.

Batgirl was good, the dialogue at the beginning seemed cheesy to me, but it got better and turned out to be a solid issue.

Swamp Thing, I know nothing about him, other than he's green and at the end of Brightest Day, but I really liked this issue, considering it was all dialogue, I really like where it's going.

Animal Man, this was probably my favorite issue. The art just works so well for what Lemire is writing here and the story itself was great, especially those last few pages. I can definitely see how this could hook up with Swamp Thing, like Snyder and Lemire have mentioned.

Still have to read Sweet Tooth, Morning Glories and X-23. Wasn't able to get Punisher, but next week it should be in.

Good start to the the reavmp after JL left me kind of meh.

Satch

Banned
It just hit me like a ton of bricks that Batwoman is coming out next week.

Batwoman! Next week!

Finally! I've been waiting my whole life a long time for this.

Snaku

Banned
Satchwar said:
It just hit me like a ton of bricks that Batwoman is coming out next week.

Batwoman! Next week!

Finally! I've been waiting my whole life a long time for this.

My most anticipated book of the month. :D

Slayven

LOL Ms. marvel gains general awesomeness as a superpower, Hawkeye doesn't know how to shoot web, and Spidergirl gets taken out by the one you expect the least. Spiderisland is the awesome.

So posting my thoughts from the 52 thread in here.

Ok so I went with Batgirl, Action, Detective, JLI, Animal Man, and Swamp Thing. I considered Omac and Stormwatch (because of MM, wish he was in one of the JL books). So far I've read Batgirl, Action, Detective and JLI.

Batgirl was pretty awesome, Detective was pretty damn good as well. I'm looking forward to more from them. Action, I am still not sold on this storyline. It feels like they combined aspects of Spider-Man and Batman into Superman. I didn't like how Superman took out some of the thugs, just very very Batman esq. I'll keep giving it a try though, cause its Superman.

JLI was, well it wasn't awful like everyone on here made it out to be. It was ok, felt very a-typical if that makes sense.

Hopefully I'll read Swamp and Animal tomorrow night.

I also JUST remembered and double checked it but the hooded chick is NOT in Batgirl. She shows up in Detective, Action, and JLI, but not Batgirl. Unless I missed her, but I combed over that comic.

JAGII

Neo Member
Shin Johnpv said:
I also JUST remembered and double checked it but the hooded chick is NOT in Batgirl. She shows up in Detective, Action, and JLI, but not Batgirl. Unless I missed her, but I combed over that comic.

Her little appearances are really annoying. I didn't notice her in Animal Man, but she has a Where's Waldo moment in Swamp Thing. It takes me out of the story.

Animal Man was my favourite thing this week. It felt EXACTLY like the Morrison run. Just the right mix of touching and weird. Lemire really captured the whole thing about how Buddy Baker's just an unassuming decent guy. The art felt totally 80s Vertigo too. Good stuff.

Action Comics - somebody else said it, it was a little jumpy, but I liked the characterization they're going with. 1930s Supes again!

Stormwatch - Well, I think Cornell got the feel right. It was pretty middling overall, but I liked what they did with Martian Manhunter (I usually find him pretty boring), and the Midnighter's portrayal.

Swamp Thing - Paquette draws a really ugly Superman. With that out of the way, that whole thing with the flies was seriously creepy. Scott Snyder has to be one messed up dude. He's way too in touch with his inner evil.

LiveFromKyoto said:
Have you read the JLI preview?

Maybe you should read the JLI preview.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=9677

I couldn't even finish it. And JLI was one of my two favorite series ever.

I saw this too late. JLI was pretty disappointing. Completely joyless and boring. It kind of reminded me of a cheap DC adventure comic. I won't be picking up another issue unless something changes.

Action was pretty good, some confusing composition though, like the cell phone conversation. It was kind of hard to get a read on what was happening. Love the new Jimmy. It's about time someone really modernized him. Hate Clark's glasses, but that's trivial. Lex's design kind of bothers me. He seems to pudgy/soft, and I'm not sure what his age is supposed to be. It's weird to see Superman taking such a beating (Not that I'm complaining. I hate unstoppable Supes). I guess he's going to be getting stronger over the run.

Detective, I really liked. The story wasn't anything special but the style and and everything was great. Surprisingly dark, but I think that's what Detective Comics should be.

I'll definitely be keeping up with Action, Detective, and the main Justice League.

Edit: Apparently I should pick up Animal Man and Swamp Thing. Never would have figured them to be great.

Slayven

Satchwar said:
Circe was in Men of War, right?

Did anybody even get Men of War?
I didn't look for her but Men of War was Sgt.Rock + Call of Duty +a smidge of superheroes. It also has a backup story. Not a bad book but nothing something I am that interested in. Can't wait until people complain about it glorifying the military and other such bullshit.

So I've been thinking about the hooded lady. We all know DC doesn't really want to keep this numbering forever, and this "relaunch" isn't quite the enema some expected. A whole bunch of long running sagas such as Morrison's Batman and Johns' GL are quickly reaching their conclusion. Maybe the hooded lady could be a new "Forerunner/Monitor" character leading into the next type of major crossover event. We know they said they're done with "Crises" for a while, maybe they can call the "Clash" or something. Using the hooded lady for that could give fans the proper universe spanning action series that we haven't really seen since Infinite Crisis, and then DC could clear out all the continuity problems it has and satisfy old readers while new readers still have this year's titles to serve as a jumping on point.

Xater

I also have to say that Stormwatch did absolutely nothing for me. it tried really hard to be interesting but I could not have cared less about any of it. That I don't know any of the characters besides MArtian Manhunter probably did not help. The Art was also super weak. Not gonna continue this one.

The positive impressions of Batgirl make me curious, although I usually don't care for the Bat family except for Nightwing.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Early thoughts -

Overall - it's confusing. I can't figure out the timeline. I know JLA and Action Comics are set in the past. Stormwatch is in the shadows.. but JLI seems out in the open and everyone likes super heroes... sort of. While they still hate Bats in Gotham. But invite him into the JLI? Don't get it.

Detecitive Comics - HOLY FING HELL. Loved it. So grizzly.
Action Comics - It was ok. Felt a bit like an origin story movie. Well executed, but I've seen it before. I'll stick with it because the writer is good, and I need a mainline supes book on my pull list.
StormWatch - Well, I have no idea who any of these guys are. Except for Martian Manhunter. Seems like a fun story, art is horrible but whatever. Ominous Moon Claw has me hooked.. and this seems like a backbone story for the DCnU.
JLI - removing from pull list. I like a lot of the characters in the story.. but just.. blargh.
Batwing - haven't read yet.
Green Arrow - haven't read yet.
Batgirl, Animal Man, Swamp Thing - sold out before I submitted my pull list :(

Sounds like I might need to grab OMAC and Static Shock as well?

StoOgE

jambo said:
DC is going to rape my wallet this month.

probably mine for the next few months before I figure out what to dump from my pull list. I'm grabbing 38 of the 52 this month. Sheesh.

So far, only 1 is an absolute dump (JLI). Probably have to trim the Supes and Bat families down as well.

I really liked Stormwatch, but then again, I like the characters that I knew and I'm excited to see them reset a bit to teh point before Authority got unrecognizable.

jambo

StoOgE said:
probably mine for the next few months before I figure out what to dump from my pull list. I'm grabbing 38 of the 52 this month. Sheesh.

I've always been a Marvel man, so I'm using the re-launch as an opportunity to get in to DC at long last. I always hate coming in at issue #300 or something.

Read a few more books:

JLI isn't as BAD as the preview makes it out to be its not great but its decent and it gets better near the end. I actually felt its a better book than jim lee's justice league book.

Detective Comics wasn't good or bad it was just really goofy.

Action Comics was phenomenal but I think it takes place on Earth-2 because
Lois is wearing a Keystone City hoodie and Didio said Keystone is back on Earth-2

Machine

Did anyone read The Big Lie from Image? I didn't buy it but I flipped thru it at my LCS and then joked about it with some fellow customers and the owners. It was a somewhat ridiculous truther book about someone going back in time to try to stop the events of 9/11. So bad.

Is Action Comics staying the past or is just the first few issues in the past like Justice League? I assumed it was always in the past but I saw elsewhere it was getting a jump forward later on.

And what's the rival paper to The Daily Planet? Or is it just some unknown paper that was just created for this issue? Sorry for the stupid questions, I never read Superman. I think the only one I've read is Secret Identity.

Garryk

Spike Spiegel said:
Yes but not until the very end, and with words you don't expect to hear come from Frank Castle's mouth.

I know you were pretty high on the first issue, Spike. Still feeling good about it?

StoOgE

VGChampion said:
Is Action Comics staying the past or is just the first few issues in the past like Justice League? I assumed it was always in the past but I saw elsewhere it was getting a jump forward later on.

And what's the rival paper to The Daily Planet? Or is it just some unknown paper that was just created for this issue? Sorry for the stupid questions, I never read Superman. I think the only one I've read is Secret Identity.

Not sure we know exactly where they are going with it. At some point it will "catch" up to where we are. Morrisson has said he has 16 issues plotted out.. which would go for a while.

Nothing says this is Earth-1 Supes though. Who knows where he is going, but next summers cross over is a multiverse story by Morrison.. so you never know.. and I have to think the JSA is coming back at some point

and hey, I've never read a Supes story at all unless he was in the JLA or something. I've never really cared that much for Supes, but I'm going all in on the DCnU (used to just read trades) and I figured being up to date on Supes would be useful in understanding cross overs.

StoOgE

jambo said:
I've always been a Marvel man, so I'm using the re-launch as an opportunity to get in to DC at long last. I always hate coming in at issue #300 or something.

I've been a DC man, but I have never read individual issues except as a kid. You know, when you can pick up an issue in the middle of a story and not care if it makes sense.. because Batman or Green Lantern is beating up someone and that's all I really cared about.

I've been reading trades to get caught up on the DCU for the last 18 months or so.. been wanting to get caught up on stories, so I figured this was going to be my best chance to jump to the present. I'll finish up the Brightest Day/Flashpoint/Green Lantern War in trades at some point, but I'm pretty much going to just go from here forward.

FoneBone

StoOgE said:
Nothing says this is Earth-1 Supes though. Who knows where he is going, but next summers cross over is a multiverse story by Morrison.. so you never know.. and I have to think the JSA is coming back at some point
Multiversity isn't a crossover book (and is very, very unlikely to start until late 2012 at the earliest). And the return of JSA was announced a week or so ago.

Barrage

So the Relaunch has worked, because i've decided (at the moment) to create a DC PullList.

Key Thing? It has to be under $20.

I figure I can wait for trades for Action Comics/Detective Comics. They're not getting cancelled anytime soon, might as well wait for the arc to finish. Action IS very tempting though, as Morrison sold me on Superman through ASS.

As of now, my list includes:

Batwing
Animal Man

OMAC was interesting, but i'll wait a bit before jumping on. Swamp Thing was incredible, but i'm not a big fan of horror comics.

jambo said:

Wait, what?

Marvel 616 or Ultimate Marvel? Because Marvel has 300+ issue runs as well and if you're behind on DC, there's no way you're up to speed with all of Marvel.

What Stooge said.

StoOgE

So, how do reprints work? Both of my local comic shops are sold out of several issues I want to nab.. (animal man, batgirl, swamp thing, omac [should I get this?]).. will they come out later this week? With next weeks issues?

Garryk said:
I know you were pretty high on the first issue, Spike. Still feeling good about it?
I'm still enjoying it. The book has a methodical, leisurely pace, which shouldn't surprise anyone familiar with Rucka's past work; but, the slow burn is something that can definitely put readers off. Trade-waiters are going to LOVE it. Rucka is working up a multi-faceted story, and Checchetto's artwork is incredible, and after this issue I am definitely hooked in to seeing where things go next.

Since we're on the subject of Marvel, what did everyone think of the 9/11 anniversary tale as this month's backup?

StoOgE said:
Early thoughts -

Overall - it's confusing. I can't figure out the timeline. I know JLA and Action Comics are set in the past. Stormwatch is in the shadows.. but JLI seems out in the open and everyone likes super heroes... sort of. While they still hate Bats in Gotham. But invite him into the JLI? Don't get it.

Detecitive Comics - HOLY FING HELL. Loved it. So grizzly.
Action Comics - It was ok. Felt a bit like an origin story movie. Well executed, but I've seen it before. I'll stick with it because the writer is good, and I need a mainline supes book on my pull list.
StormWatch - Well, I have no idea who any of these guys are. Except for Martian Manhunter. Seems like a fun story, art is horrible but whatever. Ominous Moon Claw has me hooked.. and this seems like a backbone story for the DCnU.
JLI - removing from pull list. I like a lot of the characters in the story.. but just.. blargh.
Batwing - haven't read yet.
Green Arrow - haven't read yet.
Batgirl, Animal Man, Swamp Thing - sold out before I submitted my pull list :(

Sounds like I might need to grab OMAC and Static Shock as well?
Static Shock was a really chill and fun read. I would get it.

StoOgE said:
So, how do reprints work? Both of my local comic shops are sold out of several issues I want to nab.. (animal man, batgirl, swamp thing, omac [should I get this?]).. will they come out later this week? With next weeks issues?

In the past reprints have appeared in stores the following week. Unless it's something smaller (Image, Dark Horse).

Can your shop hold a copy for you if you ask?

StoOgE

I've heard both that and Omac are fun romps, which should be nice considering how dark many of the books this week were.. and my pull list is going to be (relatively) small next week.. I guess my wallet can survive:

B&R
Batwoman (maybe)
Deathstroke (maybe)
Green Lantern
Mister Terrific
Red Lantern
Superboy (maybe)

Spike Spiegel said:
I'm still enjoying it. The book has a methodical, leisurely pace, which shouldn't surprise anyone familiar with Rucka's past work; but, the slow burn is something that can definitely put readers off. Trade-waiters are going to LOVE it. Rucka is working up a multi-faceted story, and Checchetto's artwork is incredible, and after this issue I am definitely hooked in to seeing where things go next.

Since we're on the subject of Marvel, what did everyone think of the 9/11 anniversary tale as this month's backup?

Those are old, from the comics they put out right after, but they still kind of devastate me. Powerful stuff. The longer one that they ran in Wolverine: Debt Of Death especially. Kordey's art is just gutwrenching.

I liked Punisher too. Loved him having to deal with super shit and the practicality of it. The whole time I was like "FUCK. HE'S IN THE AIR. HOW IS HE GOING TO GET DOWN."

StoOgE

The Take Out Bandit said:
In the past reprints have appeared in stores the following week. Unless it's something smaller (Image, Dark Horse).

Can your shop hold a copy for you if you ask?

They do an online pull list, but only for new issues. I suppose I can call them to hold the reprints as well. I'm going to run to another shop that isn't as popular (but just as big) to see if they have anything still in stock.

Austin only has 3 real comic shops and is a giant city. I also went to the one closest to UT.

StoOgE said:
I've heard both that and Omac are fun romps, which should be nice considering how dark many of the books this week were.. and my pull list is going to be (relatively) small next week.. I guess my wallet can survive:

B&R
Batwoman (maybe)
Deathstroke (maybe)
Green Lantern
Mister Terrific
Red Lantern
Superboy (maybe)
What the hell? Even I'M buying Wonder Woman next week; one early reviewer cited it as the best of 52.

And you're picking Red Lantern, Deathstroke and Mister Terrific instead?

EDIT: Never mind, WW is two weeks away not one.

Spike Spiegel said:
What the hell? Even I'M buying Wonder Woman next week; one early reviewer cited it as the best of 52.

And you're picking Red Lantern, Deathstroke and Mister Terrific instead?

Yeah next week's DC stuff is (thankfully) a much lighter haul.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom