• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comics - September 2011 |OT| DC's nU Look

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Anticitizen One said:
I thought X-Force was that team Rob Liefield created in the 90s?

it is. x-statix took its slot and was about a team of mutants that wanted to be celebrities. all but one of them ended up dying

That X-force was New Mutants gone dead inside. X-force/ X-statix was extra awesome. Also it wasn't being written by something that escaped out of the devil's butthole like Uncanny was at the time.

frogg609

If I want to get into reading Iron Man what is his current series/number? Looking on the Marvel site is no help at all.

the chris

frogg609 said:
If I want to get into reading Iron Man what is his current series/number? Looking on the Marvel site is no help at all.
You can start with the beginning of Fraction's run on Invincible Iron Man, they have an omnibus that covers the first several trades.

I just found a giant stack of comics that I boxed up when I moved, now i'm gonna kick back, turn on the NFL game, and read em all. What a great way to chill after a crappy week!

(I know this sounds like a tweet or status update, but i figured if anyone would appreciate it, it would be Neogaf comics-age!)

Satch

Banned
WascallyWabbit said:
I just found a giant stack of comics that I boxed up when I moved, now i'm gonna kick back, turn on the NFL game, and read em all. What a great way to chill after a crappy week!

(I know this sounds like a tweet or status update, but i figured if anyone would appreciate it, it would be Neogaf comics-age!)
Have fun! I've found reading comics to be a pretty relaxing thing to do.

I spend a lot of time reading textbooks for class, so it's nice to get a break to read something you actually can enjoy for once.

27Brz.jpg

Adam Hughes
LOL

Lionel Mandrake said:
Man, he nailed it.

Nailed what?

What in the hell is going on here?

I'm more amazed Adam Hughes shaved.

Stop cross dressing and go draw All Star Wonder Woman silly pants! You should have plenty of free time since you stopped doing commissions. *trollface*

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
The Take Out Bandit said:
Nailed what?

Stop cross dressing and go draw All Star Wonder Woman silly pants! You should have plenty of free time since you stopped doing commissions. *trollface*

thats pam from archer. and a pretty good one at that

Foob

Parallax said:
it is. x-statix took its slot and was about a team of mutants that wanted to be celebrities. all but one of them ended up dying

also it was the best book ever

Nailed what?

Saw the photo at Bleeding Cool, Adam tweeted about it a few days ago.

@AH_AdamHughes: Well that was a fun night of cosplay at Dragon*Con! Joined a group dressed as the cast from FX's ARCHER. I went as Pam.

The previews for Schism 4 only prove what most people knew all along

Wolverine > Cyclops one on one. In that preview alone Cyclops could have been killed so many times.

Anticitizen One said:
I dont recognize a signle character on the new mutant side or the generation hope side (aside from Cyclops's daughter from another dimension I think?)

who is that blonde girl with the laser sword? and that big guy behind jubilee?

Where is Wolverine, Gambit, Rogue, Jean Gray, Arch Angel, etc?

I sure wish DC owned the X-Men because that franchise needs a good ol'fashion reboot right about now

Or instead of asking for something that isn't needed at all you could I dunno.....read the books or wiki them to catch up and you'll have all of your questions answered?

Novel idea I know.

KidDork

Spider Island: The Avengers was the funniest book I've read in awhile. Imagine! Super hero comics that make you laugh. Crazy.

Satch

Banned
Nailed what?

Even I've given up on that, bro.

I bet money that the hardcover of the Wonder Woman Encyclopedia was going to be the cover of ASWW.

bangai-o

Banned
DonasaurusRex said:
That makes no sense, of the books are that are actually "X-Men" all but 2 are well established characters in X-Men lore. Danger is newish compared to the others and Illyana is different than before, but even she was in the legacy virus story from years ago.

Generation Hope is not the X-Men , New Mutants are not the X-Men, just like X Force, and X Factor , and ExCalibur are not the X-Men. I dont understand whats confusing none of these are new books , Gen Hope is new...ish but even that is up to what 13 or 14 its been around for a year. Its like how Gotham City Sirens arent "Batman" but why does the book exist? "Batman" . So yes its a batman -family book, that kind of stuff happens with popular comics, and xmen are arguably the most popular of the last 25 years.

you dont recognize warlock from the new mutants basically means you dont recognize the new mutants what difference would a reboot mean to you , the upcoming issue would be a good start if you dont recognize them, or nate grey (the only surprise). why would it need to be rebooted, how does that aide you, if you say you dont recognize dani moonstar, magma, and cypher some of the oldest new mutants there are, does it infuriate you that you dont recognize people from a book you know nothing about? What do you expect , you've clearly never read the book. This vol of the books only been around since 2009 anyway, and hasnt been in action since 91.
lol, just tell him to read X-Men Forever

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Rafa=FedKilla said:
Brahs do I read Blackest Night or GL: Blackest night first?
Blackest Night first. It's kinda complicated to say why, but that collection has a narrower focus and makes it easy to get the fundamentals of the event. Then the GL one expands outward to cover stuff going on all across the universe, across tons of different characters, etc. and fills in the gaps that the primary book had.

Or look up the issue-by-issue chronology and try that.

I haven't read the GLC collection yet.

bathala

Banned
Really like swamp thing there's some atmosphere to the book that differentiate to the rest
Animal man is bad too

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Rafa=FedKilla said:
Brahs do I read Blackest Night or GL: Blackest night first?

Read a chapter from each, then it will actually make sense. There are one or two occasions where there's a cliffhanger in BN that goes right into GL and vice versa. Such a dumb decision to split them in trades.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Dan said:
Blackest Night first. It's kinda complicated to say why, but that collection has a narrower focus and makes it easy to get the fundamentals of the event. Then the GL one expands outward to cover stuff going on all across the universe, across tons of different characters, etc. and fills in the gaps that the primary book had.

Or look up the issue-by-issue chronology and try that.

I haven't read the GLC collection yet.

You need to go issue by issue. GLC isn't as critical, but you should probably read the 3 mainline books (BN, BN:GL, BN:GLC) issue by issue. They split is up really stupidly. It would totally ruin the story.

There are several cases in the BN trade that would make no sense.. a cliffhanger like "Hal, on noes you must do this".. then you go to the next issue and "Oh good, Hal's back, and he did that thing". Because he did it in the Green Lantern trade.

http://collectededitions.blogspot.com/2010/07/blackest-night-trade-reading-order.html

Just go through this list.. it has the individual issue number reading order followed by the trade it is in. The only 3 to really focus on are BN, BN:GL and BN:GLC. The rest are more "hey, what has supes been up to during all of this?" Which is nice, but nothing critical to the story happens.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
So a few more thoughts..

1) Batwing - So good. Really really liked it a ton. Great character, love the setting. It feels really fresh. Certainly worth a pick up, and I'll be getting the next few issues for sure.

2) Green Arrow - A lot of fun. Ollie is now James Bond meets Tony Stark with arrows. I've always liked Green Arrow, but I think stuff was just going to wrong for him in the old DCU.. I think the reboot will be great for his character.

3)Static Shock - Enjoyed it. Not sure there is much depth here. We'll see. I do enjoy the character explaining his powers as he uses them. Reminds me of John's writing on Flash in that way. Will probably pull the next issue, but if it doesn't get some more depth to the character or story it will likely stop being pulled simply because I need to cull something from my pull list. Something to be said for a light fun read of course.

4) OMAC - go buy this one. Lots of fun. Insane romp. Probably the most "fun" of any of the books I've pulled so far.

Animal Man, Swamp Thing and Batgirl... STILL can't get these. Argh. I'm on the list for the 3rd printing as the 2nd printing is sold out all over town.

Why does every first issue turning out to be pretty good. And now I don't feel like such a dweeb for getting to my lcs before it opened.

Nesotenso

X-Men Gold team or Wolverine's team reveals. And yes Nick Bradshaw's art is not his best work.

ZsR5l.jpg

Psylocke being on both sides will hopefully be explained soon. Havok seems to oppose his brother again. Girl in school girl uniform is new. Warren nowhere to be seen is troubling.

Nesotenso

KidDork said:
Spider Island: The Avengers was the funniest book I've read in awhile. Imagine! Super hero comics that make you laugh. Crazy.

Yeah it was good, fun one shot. Spider Island and its related minis have all been awesome.

SUPREME1

Banned
Fellas, I picked up the Spidey: One More Day trade...

Good or bad decision? I know the outcome already, but wanted to read the story. Is it considered good reading? Or is it only known because of the outcome?

I could do without the read if the reading isn't all that great.

Nesotenso said:
Girl in school girl uniform is new. Warren nowhere to be seen is troubling.
I'm pretty sure the girl in the school uniform is meant to be Idie...

SUPREME1 said:

Good or bad decision? I know the outcome already, but wanted to read the story. Is it considered good reading? Or is it only known because of the outcome?

after reading all of ultimate spiderman, everything else just seems like a disappointment to me.

bathala

Banned
Idie is Logan's new padawan?

No Warren, I wonder if we'll see the result on Uncanny X-Force in Age of Archangel arc

Nesotenso

SUPREME1 said:

I hated OMD. The whole thing was so stupid on so many levels. If you want a jumping on point for Spidey after that BND and Big Time are good ones.

dream

The last time I read Batgirl she was played by a mute named Cassandra and had a badass mask. What happened to Cassandra and her badass mask?

FoneBone said:
...you didn't actually read it, did you?
nope. But I'm sure it has some random reason that her paralysis is gone. Why don't you say what happens. Did she somehow "heal"? Did she relive the joker incident in her memory and caused her to overcome her paralysis or something, lol.

Just knowing comics I naturally assume it's some weird reason just to get her back to normal for the reboot. But if it's a really good reason, then do tell. Or did they just say she went through rehab (all of a sudden now just in time for the #1) or something.

That's what these reboots do, they find a fast and easy solution to a problem, and go off from there.

KidDork said:

Yeah. Really liked it. I liked it much better than the New Avengers Annual but that's also because I didn't like the Annual's artwork.

dream

-Pyromaniac- said:
nope. But I'm sure it has some random reason that her paralysis is gone. Why don't you say what happens. Did she somehow "heal"? Did she relive the joker incident in her memory and caused her to overcome her paralysis or something, lol.

Just knowing comics I naturally assume it's some weird reason just to get her back to normal for the reboot. But if it's a really good reason, then do tell.

I read the issue twice and it didn't really tell me...and I have no idea what to read in order to find out.

I did find the timeframe kind of disconcerting. She says the Joker shot her 3 years ago and I was like "but I read The Killing Joke 20 years ago."

another question!

What is the premise of Spider Island and what order should I read it in?

dream said:
I read the issue twice and it didn't really tell me...and I have no idea what to read in order to find out.

I did find the timeframe kind of disconcerting. She says the Joker shot her 3 years ago and I was like "but I read The Killing Joke 20 years ago."
yeah that's part of the reboot as well. Characters got younger, problems got solved, and they moved timelines back. It starts off 3 years after the killing joke.

dream said:
What is the premise of Spider Island and what order should I read it in?
Jackal gives spider-powers to people in NY, next thing you know all these regular people have the powers, then shit pops off basically. I don't remember for sure but I think it starts at issue #666 of amazing spider-man, but it gets pretty complicated with tie-ins with other comics, but 666-670 something (to 673 I think) are the ones you should read. Maybe start at 659/660 to know more.

Then there are like...10 tie-ins to spider island from various other books like cloak and daggers, avengers, spider-girl, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom