• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comics - September 2011 |OT| DC's nU Look

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
-Pyromaniac- said:
yeah that's part of the reboot as well. Characters got younger, problems got solved, and they moved timelines back. It starts off 3 years after the killing joke.

Eh, it doesn't really start anywhere. They just compressed the timeline of everything to 5 or so years.

Clearly the War of Light/Blackest Night/Brightest day still happened. We'll know more once some GL books start dropping, but the 7 corps still exist.

I think the explenation we are going to wind up with is "the heroes are all relatively new to the world, they are all younger, but most of the major events still happened somehow, we just aren't going to explain that part and not really dwell on past events except to mention they happened."

Which while a bit cheap is fine. It's a way to not throw away all the events that happened without having to deal with the complexities of them.

StoOgE said:
Eh, it doesn't really start anywhere. They just compressed the timeline of everything to 5 or so years.

Clearly the War of Light/Blackest Night/Brightest day still happened. We'll know more once some GL books start dropping, but the 7 corps still exist.
once again, I never read it but dream said that in the comic it states joker shot her 3 years ago so I assume that's where they rewinded it to. But yeah they said that although time might go back and characters might be de-aged, a lot of the things that happened to them remain in tact.

edit: basically yeah, what you edited in.

I'm not hating on it if that's what it sounds like, I actually heard batgirl #1 was one of the better ones from people on CBR forums.

FoneBone

-Pyromaniac- said:
nope. But I'm sure it has some random reason that her paralysis is gone. Why don't you say what happens. Did she somehow "heal"? Did she relive the joker incident in her memory and caused her to overcome her paralysis or something, lol.

Just knowing comics I naturally assume it's some weird reason just to get her back to normal for the reboot. But if it's a really good reason, then do tell. Or did they just say she went through rehab (all of a sudden now just in time for the #1) or something.

That's what these reboots do, they find a fast and easy solution to a problem, and go off from there.
I thought you were saying she was never crippled in the first place, which isn't the case (and I don't even like the book). It's not like they're not going to explain it eventually...

FoneBone said:
I thought you were saying she was never crippled in the first place, which isn't the case (and I don't even like the book). It's not like they're not going to explain it eventually...
I don't have faith in DC related things these days, but I'll give it a chance if people say it's good so far. Not a big deal either way.

dream

Satchwar said:
He's a new Batfamily member that was first introduced in Batman, Inc. He operates in Africa.

Oh, good. I just saw the name and I thought Batman and Nightwing merged in some sort of Luthiac scenario.

TheDiabolical

I didn't read my own avatar and now everyone knows I'm not too bright. :(
picked up my subs today

Animal Man 1: really surprised on this one, never heard of the character until i saw the 52 list

Batman Detective Comics 1: nice ending, can't wait for the next issue

Batgirl 1: digging the villian

Action Comics 1: meh, its Batman-esque to me for some reason

Locke and Key Clockworks #2

dream said:
The last time I read Batgirl she was played by a mute named Cassandra and had a badass mask. What happened to Cassandra and her badass mask?
Generally bad things at the hands of bad writers and editorial mandates.

Her ongoing series got canceled going into "One Year Later," after the 'Infinite Crisis' event. Editorial wanted to set Cass up post- OYL as a villain/nemesis for Robin, with zero explanation of her new motivations and personality change. Fans were considerably outraged over the character's new direction, and blasted DC over the changes. Eventually they cooked up a story where Deathstroke had drugged and brainwashed Cass into going evil and joining his evil Titans, and that set her up as a brooding revenge-seeker once freed from his influence. She joins the new 'Batman and the Outsiders' team at Bruce's request, and there's an Adam Beechen 'Batgirl' miniseries as well; at the end of the mini Bruce Wayne declares he will adopt Cass as his daughter, and make her officially family... then he dies in 'Final Crisis', and it's never brought up again. Then the new 'Batgirl' ongoing starts up with a disillusioned Cass stripping off her costume and handing it to Stephanie Brown, quitting as Batgirl. Cass makes a handful of appearances in 'Red Robin', as a new vigilante fighting crime in Hong Kong, before joining Bruce and his global 'Batman Inc.' project as the masked "Black Bat". She teams up with Damian in the 'Streets of Gotham' miniseries, and then REBOOT.

TheDiabolical

Spike Spiegel said:
Generally bad things at the hands of bad writers and editorial mandates.

Her ongoing series got canceled going into "One Year Later," after the 'Infinite Crisis' event. Editorial wanted to set Cass up post- OYL as a villain/nemesis for Robin, with zero explanation of her new motivations and personality change. Fans were considerably outraged over the character's new direction, and blasted DC over the changes. Eventually they cooked up a story where Deathstroke had drugged and brainwashed Cass into going evil and joining his evil Titans, and that set her up as a brooding revenge-seeker once freed from his influence. She joins the new 'Batman and the Outsiders' team at Bruce's request, and there's a Adam Beechen 'Batgirl' miniseries as well; at the end of the mini Bruce Wayne declares he will adopt Cass as his daughter, and make her officially family... then he dies in 'Final Crisis', and it's never brought up again. Then the new 'Batgirl' ongoing starts up with a disillusioned Cass stripping off her costume and handing it to Stephanie Brown, quitting as Batgirl. Cass makes a handful of appearances in 'Red Robin', as a new vigilante fighting crime in Hong Kong, before joining Bruce and his global 'Batman Inc.' project as the masked "Black Bat". She teams up with Damian in the 'Streets of Gotham' miniseries, and then REBOOT.

Damian is Bruce Waynes son right? when the hell did this happen and who's his mom?

Nesotenso said:
X-Men Gold team or Wolverine's team reveals. And yes Nick Bradshaw's art is not his best work.

ZsR5l.jpg

Psylocke being on both sides will hopefully be explained soon. Havok seems to oppose his brother again. Girl in school girl uniform is new. Warren nowhere to be seen is troubling.

See at least I can recognize most of the characters on these teams and they have better creative teams on top of that.

dream said:
Isn't Stephanie Brown the purple girl from Robin? Didn't she die?
Upon her return it was revealed Steph faked her death with the help of Dr. Leslie Thompkins, after her identity was compromised by Black Mask. Which not only redeemed Leslie as a character, who at the time appeared to have let Stephanie die to send a message to Batman about recruiting teenagers into his war; but it also redeemed Bruce, who never erected a costume memorial to Steph in the Batcave. When Steph reveals her self to he and Robin, Bruce confesses to always suspecting her death had been faked, but going along with it to protect her.

Convenient, but Steph's return brought about one of the greatest Batgirl comics in existence -- only to be cut short by the "new 52."

Nesotenso said:
X-Men Gold team or Wolverine's team reveals. And yes Nick Bradshaw's art is not his best work.

ZsR5l.jpg

Psylocke being on both sides will hopefully be explained soon. Havok seems to oppose his brother again. Girl in school girl uniform is new. Warren nowhere to be seen is troubling.

NVM I am high as fuck apparently, I see the school girl now....not sure how I COULDN'T see her. That's Idie....thank god she picked the right team.

Angelus Errare said:
NVM I am high as fuck apparently, I see the school girl now....not sure how I COULDN'T see her. That's Idie....thank god she picked the right team.
Being on Logan's team puts hair on your chest if you're a man... and other things, if you're a woman.

Dude she's 12...

edit: Read your post wrong, thought you said he'd be murdering "that".

With that said, I think you have your sides confused there. Wolverine wants her to live a normal life and NOT be used a murderer/fighter because of her powers. Cyclops does.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Angelus Errare said:
Dude she's 12...

edit: Read your post wrong, thought you said he'd be murdering "that".

With that said, I think you have your sides confused there. Wolverine wants her to live a normal life and NOT be used a murderer/fighter because of her powers. Cyclops does.

ewww read slower next time.

and yes wolverine wants all the children to be spared his and ...for the most part his childrens lives/harsh up bringing. But, he's fuckin cool and hence the kids will look up to him and thereforeeeeee.... murder. Besides i think she just waxed some people in schism 3...maybe 4 anyway.

Well she had little choice; it was either flee and her friends and instructors would have been killed or she could save them....but she'd have to kill.

dream

Spike Spiegel said:
Convenient, but Steph's return brought about one of the greatest Batgirl comics in existence -- only to be cut short by the "new 52."

How long was the run? Is it out in TPB? I've always been a sucker for the Batgirl character in any incarnation.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
So, I set up a monthly pull list instead of weekly.

The plus side is I don't have to worry about my pull list.

The downside is, I'll probably forget to cancel stuff I don't want anymore.

dream

Woo, just ordered the first volume. Thanks.

Since I'm here annoying you all with retarded questions, how did the death of Bruce Wayne story arc end? I know vague details, like Dick became Batman for a while and Damian became Robin, but I have no idea what else happened in that event.

TheDiabolical

any recommendations for the rest of the upcoming 52?

already have

Justice League
Action Comics
Animal Man
Detective Comics
Green Lantern
Suicide Squad
Teen Titans
Batman Dark Knight
Batgirl
Batwoman

not sure about

Blue Beetle
Superman

notworksafe

Still getting through this week's comics but just wanted to say that Mystic continues to be very good. Great writing and fantastic art. More people should be reading this!

And the 9/11 comic in the back was really good as well. It's the least wordy thing Kevin Smith has ever written and all the better for it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Can't wait for Superboy #1

Action Comics Supes is kind of a dick

edit: Which team is Toad on? Might get into X-Force

dream said:
Woo, just ordered the first volume. Thanks.
Hope you enjoy it, the series was a lot of fun. I actually dropped it a couple of issues in because, like a lot of people at first, I couldn't escape that "they got rid of Cass and made that f*ckup Stephanie Brown the new Batgirl?!?!?" mentality. But towards the end of the first year I went back into it, found that I loved the tone, Miller's writing, and most of all Stephanie's "voice," and stuck with it to the recent end, and went back for what I had missed.

dream said:
Since I'm here annoying you all with retarded questions, how did the death of Bruce Wayne story arc end? I know vague details, like Dick became Batman for a while and Damian became Robin, but I have no idea what else happened in that event.
That's a story of Morrisonian proportions, but the short of it is that Darkseid's Omega Sanction turned Bruce Wayne into a time-traveling bomb to destroy all of reality and -- because he's the GDB -- Bruce was able to outsmart a god, save reality, and cheat death with the help of his super friends.

For a long version, check out the wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman:_The_Return_of_Bruce_Wayne#Plot

Nesotenso said:

ZsR5l.jpg

Angel isn't on either side. That doesn't bode well for him in the current X-Force story

dream

Spike Spiegel said:
Hope you enjoy it, the series was a lot of fun. I actually dropped it a couple of issues in because, like a lot of people at first, I couldn't escape that "they got rid of Cass and made that f*ckup Stephanie Brown the new Batgirl?!?!?" mentality. But towards the end of the first year I went back into it, found that I loved the tone, Miller's writing, and most of all Stephanie's "voice," and stuck with it to the recent end, and went back for what I had missed.

I suspect I'll probably like it. My tastes in comics usually runs towards the small press slice of life stuff and I always liked the Tim Drake Robin series because it balanced, you know, people with the superhero stuff. I'd imagine Stephanie Brown as Batgirl will be a lot of fun if she's as much of an well-meaning insecure fuckup as she was when she was the purple girl.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
why would he be on either team anyway. he's clearly in villain territory currently, if not permanently. X-Force is the best X-book. Psylocke on both side is dumb shit though. Pretty happy with Logan getting the best side of "recogniseable old skool X-Men", beyond Storms absolutely bizarre placement on Scott's.

Avengers Spider Island was some damn good funnybook.

Nesotenso

dream said:
What is the premise of Spider Island and what order should I read it in?

Jackal spreads a bed bug infestation all over Manhattan (Dan Slott is a New Yorker and worked the crisis in to his story !), the victims gain Spider powers. Not everyone believes "With Great power comes Great responsibility", mayhem all over. Manhattan Island is quarantined. Below is the checklist.

S4vSb.jpg

It is a crossover event over some books and one shots but you will be fine just getting Amazing Spider-man 666 to 673.

Yeah, fun superhero comics , who knew ?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Nesotenso said:
Jackal (who's working for someone else) spreads a bed bug infestation all over Manhattan (Dan Slott is a New Yorker and worked the crisis in to his story !), the victims gains Spider powers. Not everyone believes "With Great power comes Great responsibility", mayhem all over. Manhattan Island is quarantined. Below is the checklist.
Just thought I'd add one thing.

BTW I think it's
the Queen

Slayven

Wolverine got hosed bad. Man if I was on Utopia and Wolverine asked me to join him. I would say no thanks and stay with the dude that made San Francisco earthquake free.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Slayven said:
Wolverine got hosed bad. Man if I was on Utopia and Wolverine asked me to join him. I would say no thanks and stay with the dude that made San Francisco earthquake free.
How did logan get hosed? His line up is pretty damn good.

Logan definitely has the more interesting/fun lineup. Cyclopse' could be good if they find some interesting things to write about with all those powerful characters.

Slayven

Parallax said:
How did logan get hosed? His line up is pretty damn good.
For one thing, dealing with crappy leadership straight out the box. And just for starters how will he keep Q and Dark Beast in line? Ironically he does have decent leader on his said, who weirdly shares the name Summers.

Wolverine is an underrated leader. I think he does a fine job on Uncanny X-Force. Yes he still has his logan moments where he just says fuck it and does what he wants but it's usually when he has no other choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom