• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Community Season 2 |OT| of Set Phasers to 'LOVE ME'! (Renewed for season 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Medalion

Banned
Gwynnifer = Britta in the bottle episode, mind blown

Edit:

Community s2 #1 dvd seller on Amazon

http://yfrog.com/z/ntpccqj

Watching Season 2 on dvd, already at the Bar episode, even though this is not a blu-ray I gotta say the picture quality is quite good for a DVD, it upconverts very well on my PS3

Medalion

Banned
Shaneus said:
Wait... what?
I was listening to the commentaries

The Bottle episode, when Jeff is on the phone talking to Gwyniffer, that was him actually talking to Britta as a code their date was not going to happen

Gwyniffer was also a twitter persona that attacks Dan Harmon from time to time

It's not that important, I just thought it was cool

Quick

Banned
Medalion said:

The Bottle episode, when Jeff is on the phone talking to Gwyniffer, that was him actually talking to Britta as a code their date was not going to happen

I just went through the Reddit post about this from 9 months ago.

Mind = blown.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Wow. That's. wow. So much unncessary detail.

Tell your disappointment to suck it.

and don't listen to Solo...

Medalion

Banned
Quick said:
I just went through the Reddit post about this from 9 months ago.

Mind = blown.
I knew about Britta/Jeff hooking up (people in here thought me and some other who agreed, were reading into the show too much) but I didn't know Gwynnifer was referring to Britta

Shaneus

Medalion said:
I knew about Britta/Jeff hooking up (people in here thought me and some other who agreed, were reading into the show too much) but I didn't know Gwynnifer was referring to Britta
Yeah, I didn't either. It's definitely cool, too! I'm going to order S1 (again, ugh) and S2 from the US so I'll be able to find out for myself but it's interesting to hear this info seep out.

big ander

Razorskin said:
I'll have to if it doesn't show up on Netflix.
1) Don't listen to Solo; he doesn't even like the episodes of Season 2 that are considered by most to be top tier for the show (disliking Mixology, I can't even)
2) There are a lot of other ways to watch a show..

Shaneus

mclem said:
I can... from here in the UK. Buh?

I really ought to get around to picking up the DVDs. I assume from comments earlier in the thread I ought to steer clear of the PAL ones and go straight to importing the US flavour?
I can only speak for the R4 release, but I'd assume it's the same for the UK as well. It's not even like it's a tiny difference, it's really noticable to the point where you can't tell the difference between Glover, Pudi, McHale and Harmon on the commentaries. I haven't watched the episodes without the commentaries, but I can only imagine they'd be the same.

Does Amazon (or anyone else in the US that will ship to AU) have a special bundle for S1 AND S2?

Solo

big ander said:
1) Don't listen to Solo; he doesn't even like the episodes of Season 2 that are considered by most to be top tier for the show (disliking Mixology, I can't even)
2) There are a lot of other ways to watch a show..

As you know, I quit at X-mas, so I obviously cannot speak to the second half of the season, but there was nothing in the first half that I would laud such accolades upon.

Medalion said:
The 2nd half is probably when it started to get really good

I've been watching the series again and it maintains a general quality throughout, IMO. Clip Show, Dungeons, Film and Paintball are all 2nd half, but 1st half has the premiere, Calligraphy, Conspiracies, Christmas and Mixology. Plus 2nd half has most of the real filler eps, ie: anything to do with Chang/Shirley.

Medalion

Banned
Half way through the discs

I either have a poor memory but it kinda occurs to me there is a helluva lot more swearing in general in this DVD than the previous by a factor of 200%

Really crass jokes, even by Gillian and Yvette

Totally caught me off guard

beat

I was in the US for Labor Day weekend, and I stayed an extra day so I managed to get Community at Best Buy before heading home. Hope the disc has some Best Buy-specific features or else all I got for my hassle was the cheaper-than-Canada price.

Medalion

Banned
beat said:
I was in the US for Labor Day weekend, and I stayed an extra day so I managed to get Community at Best Buy before heading home. Hope the disc has some Best Buy-specific features or else all I got for my hassle was the cheaper-than-Canada price.
The Best Buy version has an extra feature starring Yvette Nicole Brown with something about the Halloween episode I believe

Jasoco

Banned
Medalion said:

Holy... fuck... shit... whoa. I always wondered who Gwyniffer was. I knew it wasn't the teacher he dated the previous year, but I had no idea. Never put it together.

Also, can't wait for my DVD's, but I cheapened out and went for free super saver* shipping. Damn I want them. But I have seen all the episodes a hundred times, I'm now just waiting for the commentaries and special features and bloopers.

*By buying a second DVD set I had in my Wish List. "The Adventures of Super Mario 3" cartoon from the early 90's. I'm slowly collecting all that stuff. Nostalgia my ass. I genuinely love this shit. Already got the Super Show volumes. Next I need Captain N, Mario World and Zelda. Then I'll have it alllllll!!!!

bengraven

I had my first laugh of Season 3 when the Dean walks by and lightly touches Jeff's shirt and he looks over and is like "smh".

That last shot in the trailer. Fucking Bollywood.

Also, John Goodman is going to be great. Love me Goodman, despite his past.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
bengraven said:
I had my first laugh of Season 3 when the Dean walks by and lightly touches Jeff's shirt and he looks over and is like "smh".

Where's this?

bengraven said:

What past? His past of being awesome?

Medalion

Banned
I loved the outtakes from the last 2 discs especially, everybody was in top form screwing up
Check out Donald Glover's bare ass!

Medalion

Banned
I think I may be a bit late in this observation

but I noticed a new connection between Star Wars and the Finale of Season 2 for Community

The Logo for Greendale College is very very similar to the logo used by the Galactic Empire in Star Wars

2b1kic.jpg

Edit: unrelated note, I just noticed snesfreak got banned again

Edit: CONGRATS TO COMMUNITY FOR EMMY WIN IN ANIMATION FOR THE STOP-MOTION CHRISTMAS EPISODE

http://www.deadline.com/2011/09/emmys-juried-winners-for-animation-achievement-and-costuming/

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
Medalion said:
Half way through the discs

I either have a poor memory but it kinda occurs to me there is a helluva lot more swearing in general in this DVD than the previous by a factor of 200%

Really crass jokes, even by Gillian and Yvette

Totally caught me off guard

I thought Gillian was probably the star of the commentaries. Top form on everything.
She and donald breaking into the birthing episode commentary screaming about sex and rubber cement was great

Medalion

Banned
GoutPatrol said:
I thought Gillian was probably the star of the commentaries. Top form on everything.
She and donald breaking into the birthing episode commentary screaming about sex and rubber cement was great
Gillian is so much more comfortable and loose when she's not acting just shooting the shit with her co-stars, and therefore naturally funnier, but when she tries to act funny on screen it comes across kinda awkward and that is part of her appeal.

I find the discrepancy intruiging

Jasoco

Banned
Well, my DVD's arrived today! I got 8 day shipping and they arrived the day after release. Thank you, Amazon!

Am watching commentaries now.

Jasoco

Banned
Good, because no way was I paying Best Buy prices for a special feature. $20 is enough for me.

Edit: Ah, seems BB has it for the same price. Still, worth it to not have to drive to Best Buy or order from them.

I just looked up what episode Mixology was. Good lord... that episode? I think that was one of my least favorites in Season 2. I know that probably means most will disregard my opinion but ugh. Whenever I think back to bad episodes it's that one and the trapped in a shuttle episode.

Nappuccino said:
Maybe he's thinking of Roseanne? A lot of people seem to hate that show for some reason.

Anyone who thinks Roseanne was bad hasn't seen the show.

Medalion

Banned
I honestly don't get why people would hate the Bar episode, it had the right balance of humor and touching moments the show is famous for

I can see how the Shuttle episode could be polarising but seriously...wtf

The fanbase is just so divided what it wants from this show

big ander

Jasoco said:
Anyone who hates the KFC Space episode is no fan of mine.
I think it's a hilarious episode but just about the entire base of it is ruined for me because the character motivation is outright stupid. Annie would never ever do what she did in Rocket Science.
Still though. There is a time and a place for subtlety, and that time was before Scary Movie.

Medalion

Banned
I already posted this above but maybe some of you missed it

Apparently Community has won some some sort of technical award from the Emmys for their Stop-motion Christmas Episode

According to the Twitter chatter, Dan Harmon and Alison Brie will be there to accept it or something

mj1108

Medalion said:
For those who did not get the DVD from Best Buy, it contained an exclusive bonus extra not on the other copies, a behind the scenes feature starring Yvette Nicole Brown around the Season 2 Halloween episode

However it would appear this feature is now available on the Sony DVD Community page at this link that Yvette just tweeted

http://www.sonypictures.com/tv/shows/community/dvd.html

I found the source of the bonus. Right click this link and "Save as" to download the bonus: http://flash.sonypictures.com/video...on2/Community_ZombieStudies_800xx448_16x9.mp4

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I admit without compunction that I enjoyed every episode of this show so far. Paradigms of Human Memory is my favorite, and a number are tied for second.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Medalion said:
KFC bus, Bottle episode, Fake Clip Show, Christmas Episode, D&D, part 2 of Paintball Wars
My faves from part 2

That's Basic Rocket Science, Paradigms of Human Memory, Abed's Uncontrollable Christmas, Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, and For a Few Paintballs More.

Huh... I guess I'm an episode title nerd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom