• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conor Mcgregor mentions Rocky III "dancing monkeys"; says meant circus-like celeb gym

etern1ty

Neo Member
Bullshit.

That's bullshit because someone had the same impression I had?

My mother is black, being half-Dominican (no, not the Dominican Republic)

I wouldn't be able to support McGregor and he can fuck himself if he truly said this. I have seen nothing to suggest he referred to that scene, and if you could, please show me so I can have a justified hate like you seem to.

I feel as if you are stirring a bigger pot than I am to assume he was talking about that scene. The boxers weren't even dancing.

Quick edit: Alright, fine. It seems as if you guys are seeing something I am not. I respect your opinion, though I do not agree

Regardless it is a sham of a fight involving some bad characters.

That's bullshit because someone had the same impression I had?

My mother is black, being half-Dominican (no, not the Dominican Republic)

I wouldn't be able to support McGregor and he can fuck himself if he truly said this. I have seen nothing to suggest he referred to that scene, and if you could, please show me so I can have a justified hate like you seem to.

I feel as if you are stirring a bigger pot than I am to assume he was talking about that scene. The boxers weren't even dancing.

Quick edit: Alright, fine. It seems as if you guys are seeing something I am not. I respect your opinion, though I do not agree

Regardless it is a sham of a fight involving some bad characters.
So if he said racist shit about black people he'd be dead to you but Mexicans and Brazilians are fair game?

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Two garbage men wailing on each other for obscene amounts of money in a contest whose outcome is really not in question. Great stuff.

Jabo

Ughhh fucking piece of shit is there any way they both can knock each other out at the same time and both lose OR HECK THE REF KNOCKS THEM BOTH OUT!?!? SIIIIIIIIIIGH

Edit: Nvm someone already mentioned that

I'll be suuuuuuuper dissapointed if this gif isn't in the fight OT

yTx6dDw.gif

IrishNinja

combat sports stay attracting some of the worst out there

He's just playing to a large part of the fanbase he will have rooting for him in this particular match.

i think he can simultaneously be drumming up the obvious racist angle here for a shitty base & still be a shitbird himself

and i say that as a fan of mayweather, one of the best defensive fighters of all time who is likewise a shitty human being

Well I guess I have even more reason to root for Mayweather now.

I mean Floyd is a piece of trash, arguably more so than Conor is.

I'm a fan of Conor's and will never defend him over this shit, but let's really not try to paint some rosy picture of a man who beat women in front of his children and went to prison over it.

Chumley

Banned
I mean Floyd is a piece of trash, arguably more so than Conor is.

I'm a fan of Conor's and will never defend him over this shit, but let's really not try to paint some rosy picture of a man who beat women in front of his children and went to prison over it.

It's like groundhog day, I don't have the energy to go through this again.

This is a work.

I think the odds are pretty high that's what Conor think's he's doing here. He's brought up race in previous fights, and combat sports in general from boxing to MMA has a long history of race rivarly. It get's played up in many big fights. White vs black. Black vs Latino. etc. etc.

But that still doesn't excuse the things Conor is doing and saying. I've been a staunch supporter of the dude for a long time but this is a bridge too far for me.

Socreges

Banned
Just watched a couple scenes from Rocky 3 in the gym:

1) Does Paulie have an arc where someone truly challenges his racism, or where Paulie develops somehow? Otherwise just seems like he's there to cover a demographic
2) On that note, seems like McGregor is that demographic. What a shithead

Just watched a couple scenes from Rocky 3 in the gym:

1) Does Paulie have an arc where someone truly challenges his racism, or where Paulie develops somehow?

Paulie enters the series as a gross piece of shit, and exits it as a gross piece of shit.

Paulie gets no arc. He's just fucking filthy and awful at all times.

Rizzice

Banned
Been following Conor for a while and this doesn't come off racist to me. He was trying to recall a scene that he could barely remember from a movie.. monkey can also refer to a lot of different things. Saying someone is "monkeying around" isn't inherently racist for example.

Seems to be a lot of assumptions going on.. this is not damning evidence that he is racist.. people are digging for reasons to hate him and it's hilarious. If it was so obvious that it was a racist remark there wouldn't be any debate surrounding it to begin with. Look at top comments on youtube, not even black people are offended or think he is racist from these random interview remarks. Y'all are trippin.

Been following Conor for a while and this doesn't come off racist to me. He was trying to recall a scene that he could barely remember from a movie.. monkey can also refer to a lot of different things. Saying someone is "monkeying around" isn't inherently racist for example.

Seems to be a lot of assumptions going on.. this is not damning evidence that he is racist.. people are digging for reasons to hate him and it's hilarious. If it was so obvious that it was a racist remark there wouldn't be any debate surrounding it to begin with. Look at top comments on youtube, not even black people are offended or think he is racist from these random interview remarks. Y'all are trippin.
Oh my

ApharmdX

Banned
Racism sells boxing fights and has done so for well over a century. Is this an act? Is it real? Ultimately it's impossible to know whether McGregor is a racist piece of shit or if he's just pandering to racist pieces of shit. I guess the distinction is irrelevant in the end? Fuck that dude.

This whole goddamn fight is a work.

Jabo

Am I missing something here? Are posters acting dumb on purpose? Is this thread all a work? Am I being worked? Is gaf taking the fall for 500m?

Hey throw him a bone OK? He gets hit in the head a lot.
/s
There's honestly too many logical fallacies in that post for me to want to respond to each one.

For one, the theory that I'm seeing for the first time is that if people argue if an act is racist that means it automatically isn't lol

weekev

Banned
Racism sells boxing fights and has done so for well over a century. Is this an act? Is it real? Ultimately it's impossible to know whether McGregor is a racist piece of shit or if he's just pandering to racist pieces of shit. I guess the distinction is irrelevant in the end? Fuck that dude.

This whole goddamn fight is a work.
Yeah I mean it's the best UFC fighter vs the best boxer, everything about it is a work. I'm a bit ashamed to say I'm thoroughly entertained by it all though. The whole thing is fascinating to watch unfold.

Rizzice

Banned
So what do you think it referred to here?

I don't know. The dude in the monkey suit dancing with the ladies? I'm not gonna assume a dude is racist because he said one remark about a scene he can't seem to recall very well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__-JcUOdeKA#t=1m53s

Conor's response to this whole racism thing. He doesn't care what people think about him. For someone who doesn't care what other people think why would he give a crap if people think he's racist, so why in the world would he lie about it?

Dude walks out to the BIG and he's racist, sounds legit.

weekev

Banned
I don't know. The dude in the monkey suit dancing with the ladies? I'm not gonna assume a dude is racist because he said one remark about a scene he can't seem to recall very well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__-JcUOdeKA#t=1m53s

Conor's response to this whole racism thing. He doesn't care what people think about him. For someone who doesn't care what other people think why would he give a crap if people think he's racist, so why in the world would he lie about it?

Lol come on man, at least try to hide the blatant trolling attempt.

Lego Boss

I was chatting to friend this morning about this, the biggest farce in boxing history.

I wonder if Mayweather will give the front row seats who are paying £10K+ VFM and spin it out for three rounds or will he KAY-OH McGregor within 30 seconds?

It's such a sham that he can't even do the trash talk properly.

Of all the scenes to "barely remember" from a movie as bombastic as Rocky 3, a scene that may or may not have happened is the one that is top of mind? I mean, clearly his "foggy" memory act is working on people like you.

You're right there with the Benefit of the Doubt red carpet!

Of course he doesn't care what people think. That is like, his entire schtick but notice he doesn't bother to completely deny it or clarify. He is fine with that grey area existing so people like you can cape on his behalf. Conor isn't a moron. He knew exactly what was gonna happen when he said that shit.

Why would he lie about it? Cause endorsement deals kinda frown on blatant racism and Conor likes money.

Rizzice

Banned
Oh now we're back to he listens to black rappers so he can't be racist point

Not really what I said. I'm just saying ya'll are burning this guy at the stake for some stuff he said in an interview that doesn't condemn him as a racist. Even if it was a racist comment, what other things has he done to speak out against the black community? All this thread is assumptions and then coming to your own conclusions on his character based on one slightly ambiguous remark in one interview.

You guys must be bored as fuck. It's hilarious really

Brinbe

Yet again, people falling into the trap. Don't be jabroni marks. These two know what they're doing and they'll do/say whatever it takes from now till their August date to get those PPV bucks.

Never forget

Rizzice

Banned
Actually, that is EXACTLY what you said.

You brought up his coming out to BIG as a reason why he isn't racist. You said that.

Otherwise, why mention it at all?

I listed one of the many attributes about Conor that leads me to believe that he has respect for black culture/community and is not a racist. I could go on if you want me to list more.. these are traits and observations that stem from all of his interviews and past media, not just one arbitrary question about a movie.

Never did I say you can't be racist and like rap. Comprehension is important before throwing out accusations, funny how that applies in this situation also

Never did I say you can't be racist and like rap. Comprehension is important.

You are so right. Reading comprehension is important so I will space out the words so you can sound them out if you need to. Hope this helps you.

Why Did You Mention Conor Coming Out To BIG As A Measurement Of Him Not Being Racist?

What Was The Point Of That?

Rizzice

Banned
You are so right. Reading comprehension is important so I will space out the words so you can sound them out if you need to. Hope this helps you.

Why Did You Mention Conor Coming Out To BIG As A Measurement Of Him Not Being Racist?

What Was The Point Of That?

I listed one of the many attributes about Conor that leads me to believe that he has respect for black culture/community and is not a racist. Is rap not part of black culture? I must be confused with some other genre of music.

I listed one of the many attributes about Conor that leads me to believe that he has respect for black culture/community and is not a racist.

Naw, what you did was mention Conor coming out to Biggie as A "reason" he isn't racist and then offered to list other things that you never listed.

That is what actually happened. You did drop this nice little gem:

Even if it was a racist comment, what other things has he done to speak out against the black community?

Is rap not part of black culture?

And now the rest of the class can see how you just exposed yourself.

Bravo.

Rizzice

Banned
Naw, what you did was mention Conor coming out to Biggie as A "reason" he isn't racist and then offered to list other things that you never listed.

That is what actually happened.

And now the rest of the class can see how you just exposed yourself.

Bravo.

You are 100% retarded. Bravo

Rizzice

Banned
When there is no leg to stand on, you resort to insults.

And you called us "hilarious".

LOL

No, I really don't care to continue debating with you whether or not Conor McGregor is racist. It ultimately has no affect on anything and is literally a waste of time. That's why y'all are hilarious. Have fun though

Ohh good one.. he's my boy Conor now because I don't think he's racist. You're hilariously retarded. Insulting him doesn't hurt my feelings, sorry breh

Back already.

I thought you left?

No, I really don't care to continue debating with you whether or not Conor McGregor is racist. It ultimately has no affect on anything and is literally a waste of time. That's why y'all are hilarious. Have fun though

Literally a few seconds ago, it was a "waste of your time".

Top Bottom