• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conor Mcgregor mentions Rocky III "dancing monkeys"; says meant circus-like celeb gym

Nah. He was specifically talking about the two bodyguards with the shaved sides. Conor said "look at the size of those two ......." You can see during the presser those two were screaming at Conor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__-JcUOdeKA#t=03m42s

Yeah i know, i think he just uses that term all the time. The fact he mentioned celebrity gym and dancing monkeys is making me think he is referencing the other scene in the film,not Apollo's gym.

i do think the dance for me "boy" line is incredibly racist and you would have to be ignorant as fuck not to know that

M.J. Doja

Banned
So we're back to both sides?

Did I just read somebody getting called "retarded"? Online in 2017?

Hell, if this is a work or not, is not as relevant as holding people accountable for the shitty things they say.

If it doesn't offend YOU, doesn't mean it ISN'T offensive. It doesn't give people the right to just say what they want and pretend they meant something else.

If you're a Conor fan, you can still be disappointed with his stupidity, but don't try to justify or explain his actions to people who got offended. Same if Mayweather does something shitty, its fair game. Do you want to be on the side of the argument with the racist/DV abuser shitheads? We're better than that here.

Are they black?

If they're black, that's absolutely racist. But I'm sure you already knew.

No black people although Tamoor is Pakistani but its usually just a bit of banter between around 4 or 5 of us.

I had it in my head that this is where that term came from

71UcoJe9OXL._SY355_.jpg

Honestly had no idea that it could be taken as a racist remark. Might this be a difference in colloquialism of UK and Amercian English?

BigDes

No. Monkey is a well know racist insult I the UK. Hence why people used to throw bananas at black football players back in like the eighties.

He said what now? oh Christ McGreggor you were a rags to riches hero and now it seems you should have stayed in the gutter where you belong

Zakalwe

Banned
Difference between a racist and a not a racist:

Not a racist won't ever use racist language.

Racist will.

Now, Racist exists on a scale. From "KILL ALL THE Ns" to "I have black friends, but....", that doesn't mean they're not racist because they're near the lesser end, though.

I'm not sure if I would associate the phrase 'Dancing Monkey' with racism. I've referred to my (white) self as a dancing monkey on a few occasions for jokes.

Person: 'Do this for me'
Me: 'No, I am not your dancing monkey!'

To me it's just a phrase to describe someone who will do anything you ask. I don't think it's racist just because it this instance it was directed at black people. I'm sure plenty will disagree though.

FWIW I've never watched a single MMA or boxing match in my entire life so I really don't care who is or isn't racist, and I'm not picking sides. Just giving my thoughts on the phrase itself.

No. Monkey is a well know racist insult I the UK. Hence why people used to throw bananas at black football players back in like the eighties.

Oh I know that, as a Rangers fan I remember seeing Mark Walters being pelted with dozens of bananas at Parkhead when we played Celtic back in the late 80's.

I honestly didnt feel that term "dance monkey dance" was the same though.

I just googled it and this is what came up from Wiki

"Dance, Monkey, Dance !" is a popular expression in the United States. It describes the desire of a person to have another person or animal perform a trick or dance for their entertainment. It is generally considered demeaning, the person asked to perform the trick being devalued for satisfying this request.

Yeah it's a shame because it's a word i love to use for insulting a bunch of people.
The word is hijacked by racists.

Zakalwe

Banned
I'm not sure if I would associate the phrase 'Dancing Monkey' with racism. I've referred to my (white) self as a dancing monkey on a few occasions for jokes.

Person: 'Do this for me'
Me: 'No, I am not your dancing monkey!'

To me it's just a phrase to describe someone who will do anything you ask. I don't think it's racist just because it this instance it was directed at black people. I'm sure plenty will disagree though.

FWIW I've never watched a single MMA or boxing match in my entire life so I really don't care who is or isn't racist, and I'm not picking sides. Just giving my thoughts on the phrase itself.

Yeh, it's a phrase I've used before in the exact same context as you.

However, if I was referring to a person of colour I'm pretty certain my brain would block the words before they happened because I'm aware of the connotations involved.

But then I'm also aware that people can make a slip.

However, the word "monkey" is something Connor has used repeatedly despite him fully understanding the connotations. So I'm less inclined to believe he isn't aware, or that this is a slip, or that it isn't intentional in some way.

Even if it is just for the pre-fight banter, it's still shitty if he knows what he's doing.

Yeh, it's a phrase I've used before in the exact same context as you.

However, if I was referring to a person of colour I'm pretty certain my brain would block the words before they happened because I'm aware of the connotations involved.

But then I'm also aware that people can make a slip.

However, the word "monkey" is something Connor has used repeatedly despite him fully understanding the connotations. So I'm less inclined to believe he isn't aware, or that this is a slip, or that it isn't intentional in some way.

Even if it is just for the pre-fight banter, it's still shitty if he knows what he's doing.

Like I said, I don't follow this stuff at all so if the bolded is true then maybe he is just a big racist. But I don't think this particular phrase is racist and I do think it's possible he just used it in the correct context, and in this occasion because the subjects happened to be black people are taking it as a racist comment when it isn't.

Zakalwe

Banned
Like I said, I don't follow this stuff at all so if the bolded is true then maybe he is just a big racist. But I don't think this particular phrase is racist and I do think it's possible he just used it in the correct context, and in this occasion because the subjects happened to be black people are taking it as a racist comment when it isn't.

And most people wouldn't use the term "monkey" to describe a black person in any way because the connotations are obvious and Connor hasn't had his head pounded to the point he's stupid enough to miss that.

Jindrax

Jezus christ this thread is fucking dumb.

You guys are seriously trying to argue that him referring to black people as monkeys isn't racist? I get that you like the guy and he is pretty funny but come on.

Whether he's a racist or not, who cares. What he said is racist end of.
These are literally a bunch of uneducated savages on both ends so who the hell cares if either one of them is racist or not.

Just watch or don't watch and stop moaning about every little thing.

Doc_Drop

White people insisting on telling everyone what is and isn't racist, I can't say I'm surprised but I'm certainly disappointed.

LionPride

Banned
I don't know. The dude in the monkey suit dancing with the ladies? I'm not gonna assume a dude is racist because he said one remark about a scene he can't seem to recall very well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__-JcUOdeKA#t=1m53s

Conor's response to this whole racism thing. He doesn't care what people think about him. For someone who doesn't care what other people think why would he give a crap if people think he's racist, so why in the world would he lie about it?

Dude walks out to the BIG and he's racist, sounds legit.
He listens to rap

He can't be racist

I hope mayweather beats his ass to the ground. Mcgregor is such a cocky little shitbag

Ahh yes, lets rally being the humble Floyd Mayweather. Stop it people, Conor said some stupid racist shit here, as has Floyd in the past. Then you have Floyd's history of battering women. Cheer for who you want, but stop pretending like there is some moral high ground between these two carny fucks.

LionPride

Banned
Monkey is still an insult today hell

Anyways, this is some Carny type shit, I wanna see Floyd throw potatoes at him or some shit

Let's go

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Jezus christ this thread is fucking dumb.

You guys are seriously trying to argue that him referring to black people as monkeys isn't racist? I get that you like the guy and he is pretty funny but come on.

Whether he's a racist or not, who cares. What he said is racist end of.
These are literally a bunch of uneducated savages on both ends so who the hell cares if either one of them is racist or not.

Just watch or don't watch and stop moaning about every little thing.

But now it sounds like you are moaning about stuff. :-/

Zakalwe

Banned
He listens to rap

He can't be racist

"I like black people, I mean I have black co-workers, one of them is gay in-fact and I make him coffee all the time! My favourite restaurant has a black waitress and there was this black kid at school who had the best Pokemon card collection and I once hung out with him for 15 minutes while none of the other kids were around and he seemed pretty ok to me...

but..."

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Some of you in this thread are pathetic. Ye denounce Conor McGregor for racist shit and at the same time take potshots at the Irish in general with comments about throwing potatoes at an Irishman and dressing up like a leprechaun. Ye are just as bad as him, ye are disgusting racist scum.

Zakalwe

Banned
Some of you in this thread are pathetic. Ye denounce Conor McGregor for racist shit and at the same time take potshots at the Irish in general with comments about throwing potatoes at an Irishman and dressing up like a leprechaun. Ye are just as bad as him, ye are disgusting racist scum.

They're being ironic, silly.

Lupercal

Banned
Difference between a racist and a not a racist:

Not a racist won't ever use racist language.

That's the difference?

I thought it was not hating people of other races, silly me.

That KKK member with the wellspoken manner surely won't be a racist.

sibarraz

Banned
You still can banter your opponent and sell tickets without being a racist.

Like for example, in Pro Wrestling Kenny Omega threw an amazing jab at Kota Ibushi without being offensive (except for the cruiserweights in WWE lol)

Audioboxer

The irony being we're related to a common ancestor of chimps no matter your skin colour

kUXoi3s.gif

But then again, science isn't "funny" and sadly we live in a world where millions upon millions still deny evolution.

The problem here isn't what's scientific or true, it's a long history of weaponized slander/insult. You often tend to find high testosterone males who make a living out of beating the shit out of each other do not turn around and be absolute sweethearts. Many either get caught on camera saying stupid/offensive shit, or they end up being wife beaters or assholes outside of the sport...

Doubt you'll even see an apology for this!

LionPride

Banned
Are the Irish a race?

Anyways, hey if one person is gonna go low talkin down bout black people, why not go full carny WWE type shit and just use any and every Irish stereotype

Are the Irish a race?

Anyways, hey if one person is gonna go low talkin down bout black people, why not go full carny WWE type shit and just use any and every Irish stereotype

The problem we are running in to is that guys from Ireland are in this thread defending Conor because he is making them look bad. In reality your average Irishman isn't very racist at all so they don't want to be painted with the same brush. Understandable but they are working against their own interests.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Nah. He was specifically talking about the two bodyguards with the shaved sides. Conor said "look at the size of those two ......." You can see during the presser those two were screaming at Conor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__-JcUOdeKA#t=03m42s

This post should be addressed

He is clearly using the term "monkey" as people who work in a service capacity. After hearing this, I gotta say it sounds like a non issue. I am open to being wrong but calling somebody a racist to too strong a term for any doubt, however thin it may be, to go unaddressed.

Zakalwe

Banned
This post should be addressed

He is clearly using the term "monkey" as people who work in a service capacity. After hearing this, I gotta say it sounds like a non issue. I am open to being wrong but calling somebody a racist to too strong a term for any doubt, however thin it may be, to go unaddressed.

The word is fucking loaded despite his intentions.

He knows this, yet he chose to use it anyway.

There's still an argument to be made even if he was using it the way you describe.

You must admit on the offensive-o-meter, the leprechaun is far below a monkey. No?

Top Bottom