• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conor Mcgregor mentions Rocky III "dancing monkeys"; says meant circus-like celeb gym

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Mr. T and there is a big part of the movie after Rocky's loss to Clubber Lang (Mr. T) that he decides to go and train with Apollo at a black boxing gym to learn how to move because black dudes are light on their feet or something.
He trained with them because they were a group young and hungry unestablished boxers, Mickey and I think Apollo both said this directly. Apollo made him change his style because he was complacent in training and fighting how he always had.

Famassu

Yeah that was the scene his words put in my head. I'm from Canada and we don't have the same built in issues with racism.
Yes you do.
No, I really don't care to continue debating with you whether or not Conor McGregor is racist. It ultimately has no affect on anything and is literally a waste of time. That's why y'all are hilarious. Have fun though
Widespread, nasty & public racism doesn't have an effect? Really? I think it's time for you to go back to your pals at GamerGate forums.

Yeah that was the scene his words put in my head. I'm from Canada and we don't have the same built in issues with racism. "Dancing monkey" doesn't register as a black thing to me. It makes me think of a bunch of useless hangers on. In hindsight I can see why it seems so racist but it didn't to me.

Speak for yourself...

Also Canadian and immediately went to that comment being racist.

It's not a Canadian thing to not think it's racist and we certainly have a ton of the same built in issues with racism (especially when it comes to First Nations communities)

surprised it took this long. I was expecting him to drop some racism against black people by the first press conference, not the second.

he's a wasteman. and so is floyd but for different reasons. still excited for this utterly one-sided match though. and the second conference was a blast to watch with all the fuckery and trash talk.

DKehoe

surprised it took this long. I was expecting him to drop some racism against black people by the first press conference, not the second.

He did say "dance for me, boy" in the first one. Although when he said it he immediately corrected himself afterwards so it seemed like it was unintentional and he realised he fucked up. Then he said it again in the second and went further in the third. Really disappointing that he is leaning into this.

Ok. Do they represent all Conor fans on this forum or across the internet? No.

No but they represent themselves when they post here and we address them, not the remaining Conor fans that are in other places on the internet and/or quiet on this forum.

What does that post mean? Of course the people posting here don't represent every Conor fan everywhere. Why does that need to even be clarified? The person you were responding to didn't even say that.

I take the piss out of colleagues in my work sometimes by saying "dance monkey, dance" to them as a bit of banter and I would never have thought it was a racist thing to say. Is it?

Ok. Do they represent all Conor fans on this forum or across the internet? No.
Huh? Why are you being so hyperbolically defensive? Are you a Conor fan, too?

Either I've seen Conor fans in this thread divert to Mayweather's shittiness or go devil's advocate on his racist statements cause they can't accept him being a racist. Not a good look, either way.

p2535748

They're both racist as fuck.

Did everybody forget what Mayweather said about Pacquiao?

Mayweather is also an abuser and a general shithead, but that's not the topic at hand. Mayweather being an asshole doesn't make what McGregor said any better.

And I'm sure this isn't your intention, but that's the sort of thing people bring up when trying to downplay McGregor's comments, a sort of "both sides" argument, which is why you're getting some push back on it.

Mayweather is also an abuser and a general shithead, but that's not the topic at hand. Mayweather being an asshole doesn't make what McGregor said any better.

And I'm sure this isn't your intention, but that's the sort of thing people bring up when trying to downplay McGregor's comments, a sort of "both sides" argument, which is why you're getting some push back on it.
Of course.

No doubt what Conor said is racist as hell if anyone is old enough to remember Rocky III.

It was not in my intention at all. Conor said something similar to that one Brazilian UFC fighter.

MMA has cycles of popularity. Whatever happened to Georges st Pierre? Or Anderson Silva?
People got tired of GSP's ground-n-pound, and once Silva showed that he is human afterall, it went downhill imo.

It also did not help that Rousey got beat twice when faced against someone who was decent.

Top Bottom