• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conor Mcgregor mentions Rocky III "dancing monkeys"; says meant circus-like celeb gym

This post should be addressed

He is clearly using the term "monkey" as people who work in a service capacity. After hearing this, I gotta say it sounds like a non issue. I am open to being wrong but calling somebody a racist to too strong a term for any doubt, however thin it may be, to go unaddressed.

The racist bar is set pretty low these days.

If you're a Conor fan, you can still be disappointed with his stupidity, but don't try to justify or explain his actions to people who got offended. Same if Mayweather does something shitty, its fair game. Do you want to be on the side of the argument with the racist/DV abuser shitheads? We're better than that here.

Basically.

Famassu

Of course.

No doubt what Conor said is racist as hell if anyone is old enough to remember Rocky III.

It was not in my intention at all. Conor said something similar to that one Brazilian UFC fighter.
Black people are insulted with ape/monkey comments all the time. You don't have to remember a mediocre old movie to know referring to black people as dancing monkeys is a bad thing.

Sevenfold

It's actually not OK on gaf lol
Without wanting to derail. I've seen it used quite often and with no reprimand but maybe it's a report thing. Anyway the dude's a junior and judging by his contribution a short lived one.
Edit: Yeah or throwaway account.
E2: Will do Hero.

Cheebo

Banned
Without wanting to derail. I've seen it used quite often and with no reprimand but maybe it's a report thing. Anyway the dude's a junior and judging by his contribution a short lived one.
Edit: Yeah or throwaway account.
E2: Will do Hero.

Likely a throwaway, you see people come in and say racist or sexist nonsense like this guy (with racism) on throwaways all the time.

Conor's interaction with guillermo is upsetting in general.

I also don't understand why would you defend the guy saying stupid shit like this even in a lighthearted conversation.

I've referred to myself as a dancing monkey, but I have enough sense not to say that about any black person. Calling a black person a monkey is incredibly racist, and I'm not too familiar with Rocky III, but if it is a scene he's referring to a prominently black gym in the movie then fuck yeah it's racist.

Ronin Ray

Huh? Why are you being so hyperbolically defensive? Are you a Conor fan, too?

Either I've seen Conor fans in this thread divert to Mayweather's shittiness or go devil's advocate on his racist statements cause they can't accept him being a racist. Not a good look, either way.

Don't waste your time. That guy hand waves away Connors racist comments here while not addressing the fact he has done this in the past multiple times(Connor's just clueless, he's a foreigner etc). While he is upset at people who do the same and hand wave away Mayweather's domestic abuse. It's Just ironic but that guy will keep going not realizing it because some gaf Mayweather thing he's stuck on. He's consistent I will give him that.

Night.Ninja

Banned
He's not racist

And what Connor said about Aldo was real talk if it was a different time heads would have been severed.

I love both these guys real dudes not many of them left unfortunately.

Bishman

Conor McGregor isn't racist. It is just with the main stream attention this fight is getting... every statement is under a magnifying glass when him and mayweather are hyping up the fight.

They are entertaining us and addressing any criticism people are saying in character.

Zakalwe

Banned
Conor McGregor isn't racist. It is just with the main stream attention this fight is getting... every statement is under a magnifying glass when him and mayweather are hyping up the fight.

They are entertaining us and addressing any criticism people are saying in character.

People who use racist terms /are/ racist. Even if unconsciously so. They may not be deep-seeded, far-right racist activists, but they are on the scale.

Hell, many of us posting against this shit will have racist tendencies they're either unaware of or are trying to get rid of, so it's kind of baffling that anyone would make this claim for someone who constantly uses a term that has quite striking racist connotations.

Ftfy.

Please enlighten us on the hierarchy of offense.

People taking shots at the irish in here is gross. Conors a dick so it's okay right?

Steteotyoes are only bad when they're directed at Americans it seems

There was a joke in there that I (slightly) edited out because I thought it may have went too far.

See:

We've somehow gotten ourselves to a point where we rank degrees of racist based on the amount of privilege the victim has. It's interesting at best.

BigDes

Yeah, thank God that doesn't happen anymore

People are still racist assholes. And fuck Conor for this.

It doesn't tend to happen anymore in the UK, which is what I was talking about.

Although I suspect it is less because the UK has had an epiphany about race relations when compared to the rest of European and more to do with how good the Police and Football Teams are at identifying and banning those that pull this type of shit.

flkraven

Don't you guys understand? The reason why it okay to say "retard" is because Conor bought Jay-Z's album and also humped the air in the general direction of all his black female fans so that proves he's cool with black people. Why don't you get that?

Ronin Ray

He's not racist

And what Connor said about Aldo was real talk if it was a different time heads would have been severed.

Real dudes , real talk !!!

You love women beaters, and racist???? I'm sure there's plenty of those left in the world unfortunately

SoundLad

Title of the thread is misleading - what's the proof that "dancing monkeys" was a reference specifically about black men in that film? Has he addressed the comment?

If that is indeed what he meant, then he's obviously quite racist.

TraBuch

Banned
A misogynist that beats women and treats them like objects or a racist. It's a tough one. Can they both somehow knock each other the fuck out?

Come on guys using Potato and leprechaun jokes for Irish is no where Racist lol

It's light hearted stereotypes and nothing more.

Although it could be offensive depending on the context but in here it hasn't being used that way

He's not racist

What the fuuuck

Yeah it's a damn shame there aren't many hyper-masculine woman beaters and racists running around anymore

Zakalwe

Banned
Title of the thread is misleading - what's the proof that "dancing monkeys" was a reference specifically about black men in that film? Has he addressed the comment?

Read the thread mate.

There's plenty of room to debate this regardless of "proof".

flkraven

Care to break down which scene in Rocky III contained dancing monkeys or anything not-racist that could be defined as dancing monkeys?

NandoGip

Conor might not be specifically a racist person, but undoubtedly what he said was a racist comment

What's crazier are the people saying it's not lol

This thread reset TWICE overnight, as if the preceding 20 pages simply never existed.

Shit, there was a guy honestly curious why people were suggesting he READ before he SPEAKS.

like, he honestly couldn't understand why the fuck you would wanna do that. Why you would want to know what you were talking about before you started talking

That legit CONFUSED HIM.

This is after one of the most stubborn defenders of McGregor's horseshit spent something like 7 pages adjusting that cape before even WATCHING the video.

"Look, I don't have time to read. Or watch a video. But I do have time to share my uninformed and already addressed opinion and demand a response from the rest of you."

Man.

He's not racist

You love a woman beater?

Interesting. I mean I only have a cursory interest in the fight but I don't understand how a playboy millionaire boxer and the epitome of rags to riches having gone to someones head are "real people". what are real people lol

Novocaine

I called a black guy in my WoW clan boy once. A friend told me later on that it was something used to refer to slaves. Felt bad about it and apologized and all was good. I can see why he made that mistake but the monkey thing is inexcusable.

You must admit on the offensive-o-meter, the leprechaun is far below a monkey. No?

The severity of the slur doesn't matter they're still both wrong.

BigDes

I called a black guy in my WoW clan boy once. A friend told me later on that it was something used to refer to slaves. Felt bad about it and apologized and all was good. I can see why he made that mistake but the monkey thing is inexcusable.

The severity of the slur doesn't matter they're still both wrong.

It would be more credible to consider his 'boy' comment a mistake if he didn't have a history of saying racist shit beforehand, but he does.

Mahonay

Banned
He's not racist

OwGXE.gif

SoundLad

Care to break down which scene in Rocky III contained dancing monkeys or anything not-racist that could be defined as dancing monkeys?

I'm not saying that the comment wasn't aimed at black people in the film - it very well could have!

But seeing that Conor is calling multiple different people "monkeys" (eg. those bodyguards) makes it seem like it could be a part of his vocabulary for individuals that he thinks are simply "eejits".

That's beside the point though, what I was pointing out is that the thread title implies that he made the reference to black people as a matter of fact, and that can be disputed don't you think?

Still a real bad choice of words from him for sure, but I'm not convinced that he's actually racist or harbours hate for people of colour.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
The racist bar is set pretty low these days.

Yo sure? My mom was a Black Panther and I grew up around the movement. Let us not be so quick to judge when we are engaged in debate.

If I use the term "deck monkey" which was used for a particular division in the navy that encompassed mostly white people or in some cases all white people, does it then become racist when a brother joins the division? It is insensitive, absolutely! Conor may be an insensitive SOB for sure but that does not make him a racist, that's just plain silly.

I don't know the man but in the context of what has been presented, it seems to be a leap. Might be true might not but being how I have been judged based on the position of my hat when I was in Chicago, the color of my skin in California and the neighborhood I'm from even in Philly, I'm not quick to label anybody. I'll leave that to other people.

GavinUK86

I'm not saying that the comment wasn't aimed at black people in the film - it very well could have!

But seeing that Conor is calling multiple different people "monkeys" (eg. those bodyguards) makes it seem like it could be a part of his vocabulary for individuals that he thinks are simply "eejits".

That's beside the point though, what I was pointing out is that the thread title implies that he made the reference to black people as a matter of fact, and that can be disputed don't you think?

Still a real bad choice of words from him for sure, but I'm not convinced that he's actually racist or harbours hate for people of colour.

You know this was the scene he was referencing right? It's pretty obvious what he meant by using that term. The fact that those words are the first things that came to his mind when he thought of that scene says enough about the guy to me. I'm pretty convinced he's a racist.

Top Bottom