• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conor Mcgregor mentions Rocky III "dancing monkeys"; says meant circus-like celeb gym

Jindrax

"Telling a black person to go eat watermelon and fried chicken can't be racist me and my friends eat fried chicken and watermelon all the time what's the big deal?"

What on god's earth is your point?
Did you even understand what I wrote?

Try reading it again buddy but seriously think about it this time.

I just never liked how in the history of boxing, especially in regards to big fights, racial lines are drawn and sadly that is what sells tickets.

Just my opinion.

Agreed.

But boxing is a sport that has not aged or progressed well over the years. It markets itself poorly, it has trouble retaining its audience and creating new brand names.

With so much riding on it, it's not surprising the carnival would eventually regress to such tactics to try to get more attention. And I agree it certainly isn't a good look. I'm not sure if Conor borderline sacrificing his reputation and appeal to part of his audience is worth the few extra dollars it might generate.

What on god's earth is your point?
Did you even understand what I wrote?

Try reading it again buddy but seriously think about it this time.

I was agreeing with/adding to your point, it came off poorly lol. It was in reference to someone trying to defend Conor because he and his friends cal each other monkeys all the time.

Mr.NiceGuy

I think this is worthy of the bump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eVJMJBoWkk

Conor talking about the race issues, go to 12:30 when he was asked the question. As some in this thread has figured (me included) he was referring to the scene in the first part of the movie, the gym with all the noise and distractions not the scene later with the black boxers training.

So there you go.

danthefan

Conor talking about the race issues, go to 12:30 when he was asked the question. As some in this thread has figured (me included) he was referring to the scene in the first part of the movie, the gym with all the noise and distractions not the scene later with the black boxers training.

So there you go.

Too late, he's been tried and found guilty in the internet court of NeoGAF.

Wvrs

Dude isn't racist.

Conor McGregor is a solid dude, got so much respect for him as a sportsman and a person. He really worked his way up from nothing and is so entertaining to watch.

I wonder how you can think that how he acts at pre-fights or when he's building the hype is properly representative of him. It's a show. Is he a fiery and passionate guy besides? Sure. Does he deserve to be portrayed in the same light as that PoS Mayweather? Not even a little, seen too much of the guy to believe he's not a decent bloke beneath the bluster.

Yeah, he can go fuck himself

Well I guess he deserves what's coming.

What's coming is total embarrassment.

He's just playing to a large part of the fanbase he will have rooting for him in this particular match.

Or, he's actually just a racist piece of shit.

Wow. What a shithead.

Plays to the audience of this bullshit.

Its so pre-arranged and staged, as bad as wrestling

He's being a racist piece of shit.

Fuck. I'm not even surprised.

The "dance for me, boy" bit could have been anything and not intentional but the Kimmel bit sinks him.

I don't think he meant it as any way racist, the first thing I thought of is the band and the bubble machines. The nonsense in the gym before Rocky get his ass kicked.

He's racist in 2017. Hell win the fight

Nasty piece of work

I didn't care either way before, but now I hope he gets utterly humiliated.

lol he's just pretending to be racist lol

lol

and there it is.
inb4: "it just shit talking guys! its part of the sport!"

So there you go.

It's a lot easier to just say someone is a racist piece of shit than to maybe question that, and potentially get portrayed as a racist sympathizer, I guess.

Majukun

I know that 'boy' has racial connotations in the US.. not sure that is the same for an Irish man though (he is Irish right? don't follow mma at all)
from the outside, you guys from the US do this a lot, I mean apply your sensibility and verbiage to people from other countries, but as I said, no idea if this is the case since I don't know if that 'boy' is racial in Ireland too.

as per the dancing monkeys part, I think the interpretation in the OP is Very reaching and the guy was just being nonsensical

So there you go.

Ok I guess? But I also prefer to like rather than dislike him or anyone else.

What I don't accept is that he didn't know what he was saying. I chock it up to show business and them trying to get more attention for the fight more than any personal feelings he may have. I wouldn't be shocked if Floyd was in on it as I'm reasonably sure Floyd would do or okay just about anything if it meant more money in his pocket. Ultimately, words chosen matter.

Yeoman

Apparently Conor was mixing up Rocky III with another Stallone movie that actually has dancing monkeys (Paradise Alley):
g6kwFoH.png

Meanwhile here's Floyd on Manny Pacquiao:
As soon as we come off vacation, we’re going to cook that little yellow chump … Once I kick the midget ass, I don’t want you all to jump on my dick. So you all better get on the bandwagon now ... Once I stomp the midget, I’ll make that mother fucker make me a sushi roll and cook me some rice … we’re going to cook him with some cats and dogs.

gogogow

I know that 'boy' has racial connotations in the US.. not sure that is the same for an Irish man though (he is Irish right? don't follow mma at all)
from the outside, you guys from the US do this a lot, I mean apply your sensibility and verbiage to people from other countries, but as I said, no idea if this is the case since I don't know if that 'boy' is racial in Ireland too.

as per the dancing monkeys part, I think the interpretation in the OP is Very reaching and the guy was just being nonsensical

The OP always had ill intentions and wanted to paint Conor as a racist. There are two scenes in Rocky III, which both I, myself totally forgot about. But googling about it, two scenes came up, one is a gym with African American boxers, another one is like a......uh.....exactly what Conor described as, a "celebrity gym".

Not sure why the OP would leave that scene out and only mentions the other one. In what world does this look like a celebrity gym?

This on the other hand looks like a "celebrity gym" with literally people dancing.

Ivan 3414

So there you go.

Not buying it. There's no "dancing monkeys" in any scene in Rocky 3. The comment came completely from left field, but in context of racially charged statements he has made over the years, things makes more sense. I don't give him quarter because he waited a month before giving an in-depth explanation devised by his PR team.

Whether he's actually racist or not is none of my personal concern. He uses prejudiced remarks to generate the controversy that put butts in seats. Just because that's tradition in boxing doesn't make it justifiable. It's transparent as fuck and it's nothing to respect.

Herne

In certain parts of Ireland "boy" is used as a greeting. Especially in north Cork - "Alright, boy?" is typical.

luchadork

Meanwhile here's Floyd on Manny Pacquiao:
As soon as we come off vacation, we’re going to cook that little yellow chump … Once I kick the midget ass, I don’t want you all to jump on my dick. So you all better get on the bandwagon now ... Once I stomp the midget, I’ll make that mother fucker make me a sushi roll and cook me some rice … we’re going to cook him with some cats and dogs.

no fucking way thats real.

Not buying it. There's no "dancing monkeys" in any scene in Rocky 3. The comment came completely from left field, but in context of racially charged statements he has made over the years, things makes more sense. I don't give him quarter because he waited a month before giving an in-depth explanation devised by his PR team.

Whether he's actually racist or not is none of my personal concern. He uses prejudiced remarks to generate the controversy that put butts in seats. Just because that's tradition in boxing doesn't make it justifiable. It's transparent as fuck and it's nothing to respect.
How is saying that he was talking about the Celebrity gym when he originally talked about the celebrity gym just "devised by PR"?

He wasn't even talking about Mayweather, any black person or any person at all directly when he made that comment. He was talking about a movie. The lengths you guys are stretching this to find the racism is hilarious

Two Words

I can believe Conor, mainly because calling Black people "dancing monkeys" on Jimmy Kimmel seems like an incredibly dumb thing to do and he doesn't seem dumb.

Zakalwe

Banned
Dude isn't racist.

Conor McGregor is a solid dude, got so much respect for him as a sportsman and a person. He really worked his way up from nothing and is so entertaining to watch.

I wonder how you can think that how he acts at pre-fights or when he's building the hype is properly representative of him. It's a show. Is he a fiery and passionate guy besides? Sure. Does he deserve to be portrayed in the same light as that PoS Mayweather? Not even a little, seen too much of the guy to believe he's not a decent bloke beneath the bluster.

People have a responsibility for the language they use and the implications it has. The world of MMA doesn't exist in a vacuum.

VeeP

wtf, it took a month for someone to post that lil tidbit about Mayweather?

Yea I'm kinda surprised myself. I wonder if all the people in the thread that said they'll enjoy watching Mayweather beat the shit out of Conor will change their mind now... probably not.

Dynasty

Yea I'm kinda surprised myself. I wonder if all the people in the thread that said they'll enjoy watching Mayweather beat the shit out of Conor will change their mind now... probably not.

I wonder if they know that Mayweather supported Trump.

Boke1879

Still want a double knock out

I really just can't wait for this whole farce to be over with tbh.

LOTS of my friends that love boxing aren't even hyped for this and it just feels like a joke. I'm going for Mayweather to win. But once this is over I feel we'll all just shrug our shoulders.

DeathyBoy

Banned

People knew Mayweather is a woman beating, racist dickhead. But Conor thinks he can box, so clearly he deserves a beating.

People knew Mayweather is a woman beating, racist dickhead. But Conor thinks he can box, so clearly he deserves a beating.

And some have misconstrued his sayings as racist statements, so that justifies his beating even more.

Jumping to conclusions by attaching what he said to a scene that doesn't even look like a celebrity gym. I thought it was weird..glad he cleared it up but it's a bit late, lol.

I still want Conor to beat Floyd, though I have my doubts and I'm not Conor's biggest fan.

I hate Floyd.

Top Bottom