• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conor McGregor vs. Khabib Nurmagomedov booked: October 6th, 2018

Who ya got?

• Total voters
Saw press conference, mcgregor entertaining (kind of), khabib cold as ice.

Mcgregor looked shook tbh, jaw was all over the place. His swagger and confidence seemed a little lacking or maybe it was because of the contrast with khabibs tone.

Khabibs manager at the end taking the piss outta Connor for bringing the belts he no longer holds was funny.

Hopefully a great fight.

Saw press conference, mcgregor entertaining (kind of), khabib cold as ice.

Mcgregor looked shook tbh, jaw was all over the place. His swagger and confidence seemed a little lacking or maybe it was because of the contrast with khabibs tone.

Khabibs manager at the end taking the piss outta Connor for bringing the belts he no longer holds was funny.

Hopefully a great fight.

Conor gets so worked up that I feel the same way sometimes about him being shook. I don't think so though. Most people can't stay cool under the kind of verbal assault Conor was throwing his way.

I love Khabib's cool demeanor though. Cold as ice like you said. Pretty sure Conor's talk about Chechens and and Khabib's dad got under his skin.

I just can't wait for this fight. It should be epic as long as they both make weight and Khabib doesn't pull out.

Hope that the fight lives up to the hype; they rarely do, though, sadly.

As long as the fight happens it is going to be good. I have never seen a boring Conor fight whether he won or lost. Ok, maybe I am a bit biased though...

Last edited:
Conor gets so worked up that I feel the same way sometimes about him being shook. I don't think so though. Most people can't stay cool under the kind of verbal assault Conor was throwing his way.

I love Khabib's cool demeanor though. Cold as ice like you said. Pretty sure Conor's talk about Chechens and and Khabib's dad got under his skin.

I just can't wait for this fight. It should be epic as long as they both make weight and Khabib doesn't pull out.

As long as the fight happens it is going to be good. I have never seen a boring Conor fight whether he won or lost. Ok, maybe I am a bit biased though...

Agreed, shaping up to be a great fight. Prefer Khabib to win and think he will.
The mauling should have a lot of good soundbites, " Dana tell your son not to tap number 5", " I can hear chicken soldiers, they crying" and more good stuff I hope.

Agreed, shaping up to be a great fight. Prefer Khabib to win and think he will.
The mauling should have a lot of good soundbites, " Dana tell your son not to tap number 5", " I can hear chicken soldiers, they crying" and more good stuff I hope.

They need to find a way to get them mic'd up for this fight like the NFL does for their games. It will probably have some of the best in fight talk to have ever existed. Both of these guys love to troll their opponents throughout their fights.

manfestival

Coule be another fight like khabib vs michael johnson. Dude gets rocked for a moment then goes forward to murder the rest of the fight.

manfestival

I am still not a fan that Conor gets an instant title fight despite being out of the ring for so long. However, it is almost like the UFC wants him to lose. Every other fighter that stepped away for some time got some padding before getting a title fight.

DKehoe

I am still not a fan that Conor gets an instant title fight despite being out of the ring for so long. However, it is almost like the UFC wants him to lose. Every other fighter that stepped away for some time got some padding before getting a title fight.

Big draws get what they want. Brock is getting a heavyweight title shot after being away for years, GSP got a middleweight title shot after he also took time off. To be honest, as the previous champion who never lost the title Conor does have a better claim than them to get an immediate title shot.

Last edited:

manfestival

Big draws get what they want. Brock is getting a heavyweight title shot after being away for years, GSP got a middleweight title shot after he also took time off.
Yeah I know it is more about money than the sport and that has mostly been the case since the zuffa brothers sold the UFC. I have been a fan for a long time but I preferred when things were more about the sports. It really naturally created these bigger fights instead of manufacturing them.

DKehoe

Yeah I know it is more about money than the sport and that has mostly been the case since the zuffa brothers sold the UFC. I have been a fan for a long time but I preferred when things were more about the sports. It really naturally created these bigger fights instead of manufacturing them.

It's always been about the money. It's tempting to look back with rose tinted glasses but the UFC has always been booked around what would make the most money.

Snoopycat

Banned

I guarantee if Connor had come back and hadn't gone for a title fight all his detractors would have immediately started accusing him of dodging Ferguson/Khabib and fighting bums. I'm not his biggest fan but the amount of bullshit I've seen thrown his way has been unreal. He does press and gets accused of overhyping his fights. He doesn't do press and gets accused of not being interested in fighting anymore. Guy can't win.

Bellator looks good as an alternative, watched this last ppv and wasn't disappointed.

Conor is hype and so ufc only see $$$, once roster stabilises and injuries start healing we should get better cards.

Khabib at 166lb with a week before weighin so he looks ready, think Conor shouldn't have an issue with the weight. Conor will look to finish ASAP, Khabib says he wants to maul, so shaping up to be a good one.

highrider

Banned
Khabib has zero strike defense. If he can withstand the early shots he will have a very strong chance. Connor has serviceable takedown defense, but this will come down to who trained more intelligently.

pr0cs

I'm really surprised that the Numbers here so close. Personally don't see how Mac will survive considering the time away and likely how the money has changed him

Saw Con on Conan confident of handling slow flat footed khabib, so confidence not lacking (publicly anyway). Khabibs transition from strike to grapple is quick though, and if your using your upper body for anything but defense then the takedown is imminent and very costly. The drain from those takedown will be felt in a 5 rounder. The longer the fight the more likely khabib will win IMO.

Weigh in not far off so keep those fingers crossed.

-MD-

Odds are Conor just gets mauled on the ground but I won't be shocked if Khabib somehow gets slept in the process of getting a takedown.

Khabib definitely wins this fight more often than not but Conor is good at finding a path to victory.

highrider

Banned
It will be interesting to see Khabib dealing with a power puncher, he seems willing to take a few shots to set up a takedown.

manfestival

It's always been about the money. It's tempting to look back with rose tinted glasses but the UFC has always been booked around what would make the most money.
Has nothing to do with rose tinted glasses. You are entirely missing the point. Of course it has always been about the money but the past was more about the sport but we did have events like BJ Penn vs GSP too and UFC 100.
I guarantee if Connor had come back and hadn't gone for a title fight all his detractors would have immediately started accusing him of dodging Ferguson/Khabib and fighting bums. I'm not his biggest fan but the amount of bullshit I've seen thrown his way has been unreal. He does press and gets accused of overhyping his fights. He doesn't do press and gets accused of not being interested in fighting anymore. Guy can't win.
Yeah I agree and that makes sense. I remember the acquisition happened right during the time of the Aldo/McGregor fight. Ever since they tasted that money they just doubled down on him. I always liked the guy and still do but their behavior is just meh.
It will be interesting to see Khabib dealing with a power puncher, he seems willing to take a few shots to set up a takedown.
Khabib has fought guys with power and great striking ability(MJ and Barbosa). He almost got knocked out by MJ in the first round, recovered and put the beatdown. If you want to watch it, it is a free fight on the UFC youtube.

manfestival

daaaaaang Gray Maynard is in the early prelims? Oh how the mighty have fallen. I wonder if this is one of those "fight for your future" type of fights where he is done with the UFC if he loses.

highrider

Banned
Johnson and Barbosa have power no doubt, but they aren’t precision counter punchers. Connor is knocking dudes dead more with his timing and placement/speed. That’s the only real weakness I see in Khabib. He’s been tested, he’s definitely not a glass jaw guy, but he hasn’t faced a guy that could effectively punish him when he shoots. At the point I’m at I’m less likely to doubt Connor. He’s proven he belongs fighting with the best in the sport many times over.

manfestival

Johnson and Barbosa have power no doubt, but they aren’t precision counter punchers. Connor is knocking dudes dead more with his timing and placement/speed. That’s the only real weakness I see in Khabib. He’s been tested, he’s definitely not a glass jaw guy, but he hasn’t faced a guy that could effectively punish him when he shoots. At the point I’m at I’m less likely to doubt Connor. He’s proven he belongs fighting with the best in the sport many times over.
Ok, but conor isnt exactly one that punishes people when they shoot(also has a 73% takedown defense which is just OK). If you need reference then watch those videos posted earlier(Eddie Alvarez LOL). He has lost and shown far more weakness in his fights(gas tank is the biggest one). Yes Khabib doesn't have as strong of a profile. Big gap between RDA and Daniel Horcher(I watched that snoozefest live).Lots of questions remain since he never got to fight tony ferguson(L O L) and even if he beats conor those questions could remain. Since people could claim anything from ring rust among many things if Conor loses. If Khabib loses then it just empowers Conor. Don't insult edson, he may not be a champ but he is certainly no gatekeeper either. The man deserves some respect. MJ is a gatekeeper.
http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Conor-McGregor-29688
http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Khabib-Nurmagomedov-56035

FYI I voted for Conor and put my money on Conor a month ago. I say this cause it seems like you are trying to convince me he is going to win lol.

Last edited:
How these two guys come out of the gate will be interesting. Khabib could find himself in trouble if he comes out too aggressive. Conor on the other hand tends to come out slow and find his distance with jabs and counters. I think they will both be fairly tentative but if either gets overly aggressive they could be punished for it.

There is public press conference in an hour 6 pm Eastern time. I hope they have a great dialogue and both make weight in the morning. 1 day closer folks!!

Here is where the live stream for the press conference will be:

And Episode 4 of Embedded:

Last edited:

highrider

Banned
Ok, but conor isnt exactly one that punishes people when they shoot(also has a 73% takedown defense which is just OK). If you need reference then watch those videos posted earlier(Eddie Alvarez LOL). He has lost and shown far more weakness in his fights(gas tank is the biggest one). Yes Khabib doesn't have as strong of a profile. Big gap between RDA and Daniel Horcher(I watched that snoozefest live).Lots of questions remain since he never got to fight tony ferguson(L O L) and even if he beats conor those questions could remain. Since people could claim anything from ring rust among many things if Conor loses. If Khabib loses then it just empowers Conor. Don't insult edson, he may not be a champ but he is certainly no gatekeeper either. The man deserves some respect. MJ is a gatekeeper.
http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Conor-McGregor-29688
http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Khabib-Nurmagomedov-56035

FYI I voted for Conor and put my money on Conor a month ago. I say this cause it seems like you are trying to convince me he is going to win lol.

I’ve seen all those fights you referenced, I’m not trying to convince you, but I think people that think Khabib is just going to wash Connor are way off. But of course we all have no idea really 😂

Welp... Khabib is done and Conor hasn't arrived. Dana trying to hold things down now. :ROFLMAO:

Alright, here's Conor.

Last edited:
Chad Mendes is like half Conors size. When they fought Conor had god knows how much weight on him, and still beat the crap out of him on the ground.

If Khabib gets him in that same position, I don't see it ending well for Conor.

15 minutes in khabib leaves, says he's on a schedule and Dana is left at the press conference with no fighters looking like a muppet.

Conor is or has become a diva, and that's not why I watch MMA, its getting closer to WWE in that sense.

Hope the fight goes beyond two rounds, usually first one they'll try to gauge each other out. Khabib to win in three via submission.

Inuteu

Kabib will take Conor down and maul him till the ref stops it

but mcgregor has a punchers chance to knock him down, obivously

JimiNutz

Banned
This is how it should go on paper, but Conor could catch Khabib on the way in.

Especially based on the Johnson fight.
Yeah Khabib mauled Johnson in the end but watch that first round. MJ tagged Khabib a number of times and had him wobbled. He can't afford to allow Conor those same opportunities early.

Fox Mulder

15 minutes in khabib leaves, says he's on a schedule and Dana is left at the press conference with no fighters looking like a muppet.

Conor is or has become a diva, and that's not why I watch MMA, its getting closer to WWE in that sense.

Hope the fight goes beyond two rounds, usually first one they'll try to gauge each other out. Khabib to win in three via submission.

UFC are chumps with Conor. He completely owns their soul. They even let him pose with two belts while he's not a current champion of anything.

highrider

Banned
UFC are chumps with Conor. He completely owns their soul. They even let him pose with two belts while he's not a current champion of anything.

He’s the biggest draw in combat sports, arguably the biggest athlete draw in the world. That’s not being a chump, that’s being smart.

Last edited:
He’s the biggest draw in combat sports, arguably the biggest athlete draw in the world. That’s not being a chump, that’s being smart.

Currently he's up there. GGG & Lomachenko I'd watch over him, and Mousasi is a beast.

The talent out there looks amazing, Zabit looks like the next big thing and if we can get a khabib/Conor v GSP...

So Conor needs to be careful or he could slide down that ladder.

Top Bottom