• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conor McGregor vs. Khabib Nurmagomedov booked: October 6th, 2018

Who ya got?

• Total voters

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
People worried something is going to happen to either of these fighters is a joke. Khabib might get a 1 year ban for fighting in Vegas. Being very close to trump, Dana will have no visa issues. Last night Khabib turned into a mega star.

Overall I was very impressed with conors performance. People who said he gassed in the first obviously have no idea what they talking about. I think Conor still had knock out power until the very end, which I feel was central to his strategy; get Khabib comfortable to trade with him standing up in the later rounds. Khabib is much better at hiding his fatigue. I also thought Conor pacing was much better than what we have seen in the past and his defense on the ground was very good.

At the end of it all, I feel that when conor tapped, it did not satiate Khabibs hunger and he just wanted more.. I legit think he wanted to finish the choke and kill him.. Complete satisfaction :)

Last edited:

DKehoe

Overall I was very impressed with conors performance. People who said he gassed in the first obviously have no idea what they talking about. I think Conor still had knock out power until the very end, which I feel was central to his strategy; get Khabib comfortable to trade with him standing up in the later rounds. Khabib is much better at hiding his fatigue. I also thought Conor pacing was much better than what we have seen in the past and his defense on the ground was very good.

At the end of it all, I feel that when conor tapped, it did not satiate Khabibs hunger and he just wanted more.. I legit think he wanted to finish the choke and kill him.. Complete satisfaction :)

I find this is a surprising opinion to take away from the fight to be honest. Did you have low expectations for how McGregor would do?

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
Conor's clench training was atrocious. It's obvious that they didn't put someone in the bootcamp who would actually try to outclench him. When he was in the ring he was simply outclassed completely.

highrider

Banned
Please explain.

When did I attempt to appear as one?

Well do you know a lot of white or Asian guys that go by Supreme Allah? You avatar picture is a black male. You also make blanket generalizations about whites, cause rednecks always do x. I could have a tractor in my avatar pic and call myself Farmer Bob, that isn’t proof that I’m a farmer, but it certainly suggests I am.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
The crowd really wanted Conor to win, I think they were at their loudest when he was beginning to stand up from whatever bear hug he was in.

It’s odd to see White suddenly so concerned with respect and decorum given how much money he’s made off the back of rotten disrespect in the past. McGregor, the man who sold last night’s fight and the only fighter on White’s roster with true crossover star power, has repeatedly been allowed to say vile and straight-up racist things about his opponents while promoting fights. This is the guy who hyped his match with Brazilian fighter Jose Aldo by screaming things like, “If this was a different time, I would invade his favela on horseback and kill anyone that was not fit to work,” at press conferences.

https://deadspin.com/the-mess-at-uf...ite&utm_source=deadspin_copy&utm_campaign=top

Well do you know a lot of white or Asian guys that go by Supreme Allah? You avatar picture is a black male. You also make blanket generalizations about whites, cause rednecks always do x. I could have a tractor in my avatar pic and call myself Farmer Bob, that isn’t proof that I’m a farmer, but it certainly suggests I am.

So your a cat then?

Both my name and avatar is of a character from the tv show Oz.

Tapioca

Banned
I find this is a surprising opinion to take away from the fight to be honest. Did you have low expectations for how McGregor would do?

Anyone who watches UFC regularly had low expectations for McGregor. He can't wrestle for shit. Even the betting odds were highly against him.

mekes

Derrick is awesome, but best part of the show for me was Tony putting on such a performance so soon after that horrible injury. I really want to see that Tony v Khabib fight, or Tony v Conor. UFC needs to give Tony a good push for putting on a show like that.

McGregor will do much better in the rematch. His timing was off in that first round. He had a good 3rd round, but was already tired. Also how bad does the guy that jumped the cage, and sucker punched Conor in the back of the head have to feel. It didn’t even phase him.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
In the immortal words of Nate Diaz: Not surprised muthafuckers. Superior grappling takes away most of what makes Conor dangerous, and Khabib is an absolute master at maintaining control while dishing out damage. Conor's conditioning looked better this time, but when someone like Khabib puts it on a fighter for a few rounds it is depleting. And it has to be said once again, Conor taps quickly once he gets in a bad position.

Rest of the card was great. Derrick Lewis is the funniest man in MMA, Ferg is a beast, kudos for Pettis for staying with him and putting on easily the best single round of fighting in UFC this year.

McGregor will do much better in the rematch. His timing was off in that first round. He had a good 3rd round, but was already tired. Also how bad does the guy that jumped the cage, and sucker punched Conor in the back of the head have to feel. It didn’t even phase him.
He doesn't deserve a rematch. McGregor was outclassed on every level. If it does happen, Khabib will have an even easier time with him. Anyway, I doubt McGregor wants to go through that again, regardless of what he says publicly.

pel1300

People worried something is going to happen to either of these fighters is a joke. Khabib might get a 1 year ban for fighting in Vegas. Being very close to trump, Dana will have no visa issues. Last night Khabib turned into a mega star.

I was thinking about this....plus Khabib said Putin phone called him and said congratulations I'm proud of you, whereas before yesterday Putin didn't seem to really care or give the Fedor treatment to Khabib

...and I had this idea in my head that I know probably won't happen...but it would crazy if it did...I won't spell it out because it belongs in the politics forum lol.

Dana would love a rematch in Moscow, and Conor previously said that's where he wanted the match.

As I previously said, ufc just got into Russia, and the above match would be easier to promote for both sides and would be great for them.

A brawl ensues when you chat shit or cross a line, clip will show how the it all went off and why I think disciplinary is the most they should give.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
He doesn't deserve a rematch. McGregor was outclassed on every level. If it does happen, Khabib will have an even easier time with him. Anyway, I doubt McGregor wants to go through that again, regardless of what he says publicly.
This. Fuck him. Hes a POS that acts like a retard outside the octogon anyway.

Always thought Khabib would win btw, Conor doesn’t have the drive anymore. He has the money and can’t top what he did before....

Khabib is a good fighter but he can’t entertain and he has little charisma. The sport in general has very little more to offer these days.

but you voted for Mcgreggor above

manfestival

but you voted for Mcgreggor above
I know I am not the guy that you quoted(duh) but I felt the same way. I even wrote in here why every reason Conor would lose while still picking him to win. In fact, there were only like 2 ways he could win where I saw like 10+ scenarios of khabib winning.

Anyways, can we not talk about how crazy of a takedown khabib got that wrapped up the first round? Dude shot for that single let takedown from a mile away and still got it. Absolutely awesome stuff. I imagine Khabib might have even been able to take out GSP in his prime if he keeps throwing stuff out there like that.

Other great stories of the fight. Derrick Lewis had an amazing comeback that was just as amazing as his post fight interview.
Michelle Waterson really did wonders by using leg kicks to diminish the range disadvantage she had vs Herig. Plus she is shaping up to be the next gina carano/Ronda(till someone better of course plows her face in) but I say this as in a nice looking lady asserting some dominance in the sport. I expect some kickback for that last statement.

They need to schedule Tony vs Khabib attempt 5 and then have the NSAC step in and cancel the fight so we have the curse continue.

Tony vs Tony was a great fight and Showtime really was showtime despite losing and losing.
7c420e7b99064974cf16978e5b71f5e8330d0c83f16ae716b86b0b6a4087172c.gif

Colby Covington taking advantage of this situation trying to play "mememe look at me! I can be like McGregor too!!!"

OSP looking like hasn't taken a jog in 6 months.

Last edited:
That's what they said after the first Nate Diaz fight. Conor is all about range, and timing. Both were off due to inactivity, and boxing. Khabib looked way better than he did against Al Iaquinta. I don't think Khabib will be improving in a second fight.

manfestival

That's what they said after the first Nate Diaz fight. Conor is all about range, and timing. Both were off due to inactivity, and boxing. Khabib looked way better than he did against Al Iaquinta. I don't think Khabib will be improving in a second fight.
I don't even think any of that matters. Conor lost, which means that the only way they can keep their cash cow relevant is to have him do a rematch instead of releasing him back into the ranking system for real. This way people can use excuses as everyone predicted for him losing and say that he will do better next time and they will only take minimal losses. While Tony vs Khabib will probably sell considering how well Tony did on Khabibs event. It probably won't happen since the 2 are cursed to never fight. Which is all a big giant middle finger to Tony. Khabib doesn't need to improve since he dominated Conor in every way.

plushyp

What a fucking shitshow. Khabib should be suspended for a year.
If Conor can get off scot-free after pulling off a huge amount of shady shit, what makes you think Khabib will be suspended? Dana will expose himself to be a huge hypocrite if he acts now of all times even when he had many chances to shut down Conor before. Unfortunately, he is just seeing the bottom line: money.

Last edited:

manfestival

If Conor can get off scot-free after pulling off a huge amount of shady shit, what makes you think Khabib will be suspended? Dana will expose himself to be a huge hypocrite if he acts now of all times even when he had many chances to shut down Conor before. Unfortunately, he is just seeing the bottom line: money.
Dana won't suspend him. However, there is a very real likelihood that the NSAC can take action against Khabib. Especially since these actions had potential to hurt bystanders.

Last edited:
Dana won't suspend him. However, there is a very real likelihood that the NSAC can take action against Khabib. Especially since these actions had potential to hurt bystanders.

The main difference is that Khabib acted out during a sanctioned sporting event. Conor's stuff happened in NY at essentially a private event. It is really apples and oranges. Conor wasn't unpunished either. He had to deal with Law Enforcement and is still being sued by at least 1-2 parties. The narrative that Conor got off scott free is just wrong.

Latest news is that NSAC is adding Conor to the official complaint and he may see some punishment for his actions as well. Curious how this all plays out but hopeful that they get to rematch soon. I think Conor should do another non title fight or two to shake off that ring rust and then they could fight again in 12-18 months.

Personally I really hope Conor reflects on how poorly he behaved leading up to this fight. If he is as great at mental warfare as those in the industry say he is then he should be able to find a less personal way to get inside guys' heads. Frankly though, his bravado/schtick is exactly how he got to where he is to begin with. Along with a killer left hand.

And of course the rednecks stick up for the white dude no matter what.

So, after the dust has settled, what made you come at me with your racist slur? Can you point to what posts of mine have led you to call me a redneck? While we are on the subject, what race, religion, gender, etc. do you identify as? I want to make sure to use appropriate slurs in return. Thanks!

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Cmon, Khabib wasn't exactly trying his hardest against Al. It was his third opponent choice in a week, and truthfully compared to the aggression he showed against Barboza, he looked like he was in sparring mode comparatively in that fight. The reality is that, as you correctly point out, Conor is about range and timing, and its never going to be something that Khabib is ever going to allow him. As soon as the grappling starts he's got no way to win, and that's a real issue when you are dealing with a wrestler as tenacious and smothering as Khabib is.

Cmon, Khabib wasn't exactly trying his hardest against Al. It was his third opponent choice in a week, and truthfully compared to the aggression he showed against Barboza, he looked like he was in sparring mode comparatively in that fight. The reality is that, as you correctly point out, Conor is about range and timing, and its never going to be something that Khabib is ever going to allow him. As soon as the grappling starts he's got no way to win, and that's a real issue when you are dealing with a wrestler as tenacious and smothering as Khabib is.
I agree with everything you said. I never said the reason he didn’t look as good against Al. I think you pointed it out correctly. It’s possible we get a repeat in a rematch, but if Conor is sharp it’s also possible Khabib gets cracked early on, and we see a whole different fight.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Much as I like Chael, I think he's being very generous giving Conor the 3rd round in his breakdown. I also think that he really ought to have been at the very least warned, maybe even docked a point for his repeated fouling in his defense. Toe-gripping the cage, grabbing Khabib's shorts, fingers in the gloves... I'm amazed that he got away with it, and I'm absolutely certain that a ref like Mark Goddard would not have put up with his shenanigans.

manfestival

Joe Rogan wasn't lying when he said that Derek Lewis has one of the best instagrams in the game

Last edited:

KOMANI

KOMANI
Much as I like Chael, I think he's being very generous giving Conor the 3rd round in his breakdown. I also think that he really ought to have been at the very least warned, maybe even docked a point for his repeated fouling in his defense. Toe-gripping the cage, grabbing Khabib's shorts, fingers in the gloves... I'm amazed that he got away with it, and I'm absolutely certain that a ref like Mark Goddard would not have put up with his shenanigans.
All 3 judges gave conor rd 3.

There will be a rematch.
This fight reminded me of ali frazier 1 when ali came back after not being able to box because of his draft situation. Ali was making fun of Frazier, calling him a guerrilla to the media before the fight. Frazier took it very serious and was hurt by it, cause it was Frazier who helped get Ali the fight to begin with. Ali got beat up in that fight. His first professional loss. Riots broke out at the venue.

NickFire

I'm not seeing much point to a rematch unless Conor beats a top contender or 3 first. Nothing in his performance suggested he deserves to leap someone else for another shot.

I'm not seeing much point to a rematch unless Conor beats a top contender or 3 first. Nothing in his performance suggested he deserves to leap someone else for another shot.

Agree.

Tony deserves next shot (5th time the charm). Conor v Kevin Lee or the other 2 below Conor.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
All 3 judges gave conor rd 3.

There will be a rematch.
This fight reminded me of ali frazier 1 when ali came back after not being able to box because of his draft situation. Ali was making fun of Frazier, calling him a guerrilla to the media before the fight. Frazier took it very serious and was hurt by it, cause it was Frazier who helped get Ali the fight to begin with. Ali got beat up in that fight. His first professional loss. Riots broke out at the venue.

Listen to Jon Kavanagh on today's Rogan, he gives his opinion on the fight round-by-round and even he is luke-warm on round 3. It just looked relatively good for Conor because he wasn't controlled like the first, and not getting dominated like in the second. And when Khabib put his foot back down on the gas pedal in the 4th...

KOMANI

KOMANI
Listen to Jon Kavanagh on today's Rogan, he gives his opinion on the fight round-by-round and even he is luke-warm on round 3. It just looked relatively good for Conor because he wasn't controlled like the first, and not getting dominated like in the second. And when Khabib put his foot back down on the gas pedal in the 4th...
It was yesterday’s jre show i believe, but yeah, im with you. I totally agree. It doesn’t matter anyway cause 1. He was finished 2. The judges gave conor round 3, so even though we both agree that he “won” the round because he performed better in rd 3 than the whole fight, it’s all heresay because judges dictate the results of fights when there’s no finish

Gander

Banned
I'm of the mindset that Conor should have retired. He was literally beaten in every aspect by a man far more talented.

pel1300

So Khabib just posted on instagram a pic of him sitting on Dana White's car.

Then wrote: "Dana you're lucky you gave me my belt because if you didn't I would have smashed your car"

Dana responded "LMAO I'm telling your dad!!"

Top Bottom