• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Console gen over before it's started - PS5. Only 10.3 tflops. Only 36 CUs...

Xbox is also planning a cheaper model that supports streaming, no?
I believe their plan is to capture both ends of the market. If someone really wants to get a cheap console they could go for the cheap xbox model. For most powerful console/best performance, they would get the Xbox Series X. If they want Sony exclusives, they would buy the PS5. I think M$ strategy is pretty clear to leave the only advantage of buying a PS5 only be PS5 exclusives.

Lockhart is about the power level of PS4 Pro, which will eat its lunch in terms of price (and for Johnny Casual making an order from Amazon).

Ogbert

Dont be obscene. PS5 can go right down to $400 if needed, bigger contract with AMD in total volume and smaller chips = cheaper price and BOM.

Series X can't go close to that $350-400 nainstream sweetspot. This is business they're not gonna eat $150 loss per console.

I think they will both be $450.

Well Xbox One X for sure prove this to be right,no surprises Sony only sold over 100M unities and the Switch ,the most powerful console of this gen,has already passed Xbox One + X combined.But serious,games will sell consoles as always.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Not the frontrunner in epeen? lmao you're asleep at the wheel. Sony just played a blinder with what looks like a cheaper, powerful console ready to hoover up sales this Chrimbo!
I admire your spin (a little worrying if you are being 100% serious though), and unlike a lot of a certain fanbase, you have had the balls to be here today and fight for your side. So i 'll give you that.

Last edited:

martino

Not the frontrunner in epeen? lmao you're asleep at the wheel. Sony just played a blinder with what looks like a cheaper, powerful console ready to hoover up sales this Chrimbo!
with today announcement what sony put between them and PS4 level of nuclear sales is your pseudo.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
the damage was done with Xbox One in 2013, that’s all everyone clings too and they saw the One X as a niche product for the hardcore xbox fan.

And... depending on the price and launch lineup of the Series X, it will be the same story.

This forum is going to be insufferable for the next few weeks while the kids are home from school, isn't it?

Because their parents are shitposting on GAF as a way to distract themselves?

Last edited by a moderator:

Xenon

Didn't this thread already get locked...

Oh wait, a twist! Its based off of out your ass speculation though. Until we see some prices this is just fantasy.

What YOU don't understand is that PS5 GHz numbers is measured at peak performance, which PS5 is not going to be able to sustain indefinitely.

If Series X were to overclock, you would see the GHz numbers jump way over PS5's 2.3ghz.

Don't question how "genuine" something is if you lack understanding. You look stupid, when not sounding like a bitch.

The Xbox GPU is clocked at 1.825 ghz AND, here is a kicker, it won't overclock. It's at peak. That is what it will run at as per their own words. Even if it did overclock, you think it would push at least .5 ghz more on the cooling solution they ship with? That being said the 2.3 ghz of the PS5 isn't "boost" clock how pc components use that term. The PS5 GPU should maintain the 2.3 ghz except in certain fringe circumstances.

So instead of making yourself look stupid like a little bitch, maybe you should include some information in your responses instead of wild claims - quote: "If Series X were to overclock, you would see the GHz numbers jump way over PS5's 2.3ghz."

Now go take a nap because clearly you're angry and you've been up too long.

Azurro

Banned
What YOU don't understand is that PS5 GHz numbers is measured at peak performance, which PS5 is not going to be able to sustain indefinitely.

If Series X were to overclock, you would see the GHz numbers jump way over PS5's 2.3ghz.

Don't question how "genuine" something is if you lack understanding. You look stupid, when not sounding like a bitch.

Those clocks are capped. Sony did a terrible job at communicating everything about the PS5, but that's not peak performance, it will reach those clocks way more often than not.

It's still a disappointment but let's not misrepresent things, ok?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Do we have confirmation on how powerful this lockhart will be? I can't seem to find any official info.
Zero Lockhart info. Not even a hard lock it even exists or will come out.

Most rumours are 4tf. But then it changed to up to 6tf.

If it exists, I wouldn't get hopes up for 6 tf. Keep expectations low for a 4 tf model.

Hotspurr

Banned
Zero Lockhart info. Not even a hard lock it even exists or will come out.

Most rumours are 4tf. But then it changed to up to 6tf.

If it exists, I wouldn't get hopes up for 6 tf. Keep expectations low for a 4 tf model.

That's confusing as hell, isn't the X around 6 TF?
So why not just rebrand Xbox One X as Series S? Or will lockhart's GPU architecture be more advanced so effectively it will have more power?
If they are thinking it as a streaming console, again if any device can stream then X is perfectly fine.
My thought is the Series S likely has a way to split compute resources between the cloud and local compute to give Lockhart the ability to get to 4K 60 FPS but further reduce latency through local processing...Or you can just play it locally at 1080P 60 FPS and it will support all the new games with all their recent tech including raytracing, which is missing from the X. It seems to me a lot of the extra juice these consoles are getting will be used to push 4x more pixels, so if you're willing to game at a lower (or upscaled) resolution then you'll get all the benefits of next gen at a lower cost (Microsoft's plan?).

GrybuySlon

Neo Member
I totally agree. Sony ended this console generation before it began. I apologize to everyone who I mocked. The truth is that Sony has given up on the console business.

LOL...what?

PS5 are going to love the shit out of their games, Xbox people will love theirs. This is a war only fought on message boards. I'm certain even as an Xbox gamer that Sony will do VERY well with PS5 and people will love it.

Didn't this thread already get locked...

Oh wait, a twist! Its based off of out your ass speculation though. Until we see some prices this is just fantasy.

It's called common sense.

Common sense 1: A 12.1tflop 56CU console is more expensive than a 10.4tflop 32CU PS5 even if that PS5 SSD brings the gap closer. They'll be at least $50 apart at launch.
Common sense 2: If PS4 outsells XB1 2.2:1 this gen despite being more expensive, we can predict Series X is going to get hammered even harder if PS5 is $50 cheaper.

Tell me, when has an Xbox console come close to outselling a PS console when it's more expensive? Never.

Now, I couldn't give a baboon's ass there is a 2 tflop gap between the two because performance matters, not flops, and this gap is very small. As long as SSM, ND, GG, BP and Team Silent bring the heat as I'm 95% certain they will, I'll be laughing all the way to Currys when I'm picking up my PS5 this Xmas.

GrybuySlon

Neo Member
It's called common sense.

Common sense 1: A 12.1tflop 56CU console is more expensive than a 10.4tflop 32CU PS5 even if that PS5 SSD brings the gap closer. They'll be at least $50 apart at launch.
Common sense 2: If PS4 outsells XB1 2.2:1 this gen despite being more expensive, we can predict Series X is going to get hammered even harder if PS5 is $50 cheaper.

Tell me, when has an Xbox console come close to outselling a PS console when it's more expensive? Never.

Now, I couldn't give a baboon's ass there is a 2 tflop gap between the two because performance matters, not flops, and this gap is very small. As long as SSM, ND, GG, BP and Team Silent bring the heat as I'm 95% certain they will, I'll be laughing all the way to Currys when I'm picking up my PS5 this Xmas.
giphy.gif

Bo_Hazem

Banned
PS5 day one, Big Navi day two.

Xbox SX? If you're upgrading to next gen GPU's, it's simply irrelevant. Still a much better deal than building a PC, but my NVMe already does 3.5GB/s (better than XSX) so I might just need to go for Big Navi (not necessarily for gaming, but it's a great card as a workstation card with 24GB ram HBM2e). Will be playing all games on PS5 though, and if something interesting dropped by xbox, might play it for $10.

LOL...what?

PS5 are going to love the shit out of their games, Xbox people will love theirs. This is a war only fought on message boards. I'm certain even as an Xbox gamer that Sony will do VERY well with PS5 and people will love it.

Sony just handed over the entire generation to Microsoft. No one with any intelligence would buy a PS5 since it isn't a true generational leap.

The hyperbole in this thread is something I will bookmark and come back to, because a console gen has never been decided after a hardware reveal!! The echo chamber of desperate fanboys makes it seem PS5 is on the backfoot going into the new gen after this when reality is that price is what kills, not terraflops. After they've got their kicks in and the frustration of having been knocked into 3rd place in sales this gen has been let out, they'll be left with the thought in the back of their head:

"He's right actually that Coulomb_Barrier. I'm a bit worried as PS5 can undercut the Series X price and come flying out the traps with sales momentum at a mainstream price. MS has satisfied us few hundred Xbox diehards, but this thing is gonna be a hard sell priced at $50 more than the competition during a recession".

cryogenic7

That's 10.28 variable performance TF on PS5.

Which means peak performance.

In other words, they had to overclock to not look embarrassing.

The actual steady TF of PS5 in reality is around 9.

So yes, you're correct. In terms of power this battle is done. You will see comparisons between games down the line that will exemplify this.
This is a load of fanboy nonsense. Why do people worship 1 company over another like they are gods or something? Is it because they are little kids that cannot afford both systems? Because if not, it is pretty pathetic.

ruvikx

Banned
This is a load of fanboy nonsense. Why do people worship 1 company over another like they are gods or something? Is it because they are little kids that cannot afford both systems? Because if not, it is pretty pathetic.

In a decision between buying product A or product B, of course the specs within the machine matter, especially if you're someone (such as myself) who usually buys both the playstation & xbox consoles (as I've done since the ps360 gen). On paper the Series X has the ps5 handily beaten so unless Microsoft goes full insane with their pricing & makes it too expensive, that's what I'll be getting in order to play Halo, Cyberpunk & gamepass multiplats with the best performance on console.. It's not "fanboyism" to note that power differential, i.e. just as it's not fanboyism when we choose one higher spec TV over a lesser spec TV.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
That's confusing as hell, isn't the X around 6 TF?
So why not just rebrand Xbox One X as Series S? Or will lockhart's GPU architecture be more advanced so effectively it will have more power?
If they are thinking it as a streaming console, again if any device can stream then X is perfectly fine.
My thought is the Series S likely has a way to split compute resources between the cloud and local compute to give Lockhart the ability to get to 4K 60 FPS but further reduce latency through local processing...Or you can just play it locally at 1080P 60 FPS and it will support all the new games with all their recent tech including raytracing, which is missing from the X. It seems to me a lot of the extra juice these consoles are getting will be used to push 4x more pixels, so if you're willing to game at a lower (or upscaled) resolution then you'll get all the benefits of next gen at a lower cost (Microsoft's plan?).
Ya. X at 6tf

So whether it's 4 or 6tf, MS will have to get out the marketing managers and convince people the new Lockhart with RDNA and better CPU and such is a better machine than 3 year old 6 tf machine.

Some will get it. Some won't and will try to go off an easy metric to base off like tf.

It's like cars, most people just look at horsepower.

Hotspurr

Banned
Ya. X at 6tf

So whether it's 4 or 6tf, MS will have to get out the marketing managers and convince people the new Lockhart with RDNA and better CPU and such is a better machine than 3 year old 6 tf machine.

Some will get it. Some won't and will try to go off an easy metric to base off like tf.

It's like cars, most people just look at horsepower.

Honestly the only way it will get any attention is if it's priced at like $300 or below and promises to play next gen games. Otherwise it will just confuse people.
I think for me streaming + lower cost console is more interesting in terms of a business model and how console gaming evolves. The xbox series x will be outclassed in the PC space by a fair margin in a year or two anyhow (but then will they release a refresh as with the X, so many questions).

Bo_Hazem

Banned
The hyperbole in this thread is something I will bookmark and come back to, because a console gen has never been decided after a hardware reveal!! The echo chamber of desperate fanboys makes it seem PS5 is on the backfoot going into the new gen after this when reality is that price is what kills, not terraflops. After they've got their kicks in and the frustration of having been knocked into 3rd place in sales this gen has been let out, they'll be left with the thought in the back of their head:

"He's right actually that Coulomb_Barrier. I'm a bit worried as PS5 can undercut the Series X price and come flying out the traps with sales momentum at a mainstream price. MS has satisfied us few hundred Xbox diehards, but this thing is gonna be a hard sell priced at $50 more than the competition during a recession".

PS5 rumored BOM: $450
XSX rumored BOM: $470-520

Sony can go the extra mile and push it to $400, Philly does that and he'll get a call from MS regarding a "vacation". And Lockhart being 4TF is a total joke, no exclusives for 2 years, and after that it'll be bottlenecked by Lockhart. At least Sony's plan sound more balanced.

If PS5 is $500 and XSX is $400 it'll still sell more and Sony is just too massive. It's engraved so deep in the mind of the masses, but some won't understand/feel it until the go outside the US market.

The biggest, most watched sport event on Earth

147890.jpg

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

What are you on about xbox bot? Dont have any games to play on your system? Even is xbox had 20tfps, you dont have any games... and Playstation does lol.

Playstation 5: 36 CUs @ 2.23ghz
Xbox one X: 40 CUs @ 1.1ghz
XBox series X: 52 Cus @ 1.85ghz

Whats your point? Playstation 4 had more CUs than Playstion 5 but at slower speed
Work it out whats better, 36 x 2.23ghz, or 52 x 1.85ghz....

Last edited:
Its pretty obvious they were targeting a $399 console after that road to PS5 video. Nothing too crazy about the specs outside the SSD. This looks exactly like what a PS5 with PS4 hardware philosophy would look like.

GHG

I play games not sales. If I wanted to play the console that currently sells the most I'd buy a Switch.

Some of you need to get your priorities straight. The console selling more doesn't mean you have a more enjoyable gaming experience.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
PS5 rumored BOM: $450
XSX rumored BOM: $470-520

Sony can go the extra mile and push it to $400, Philly does that and he'll get a call from MS regarding a "vacation". And Lockhart being 4TF is a total joke, no exclusives for 2 years, and after that it'll be bottlenecked by Lockhart. At least Sony's plan sound more balanced.

If PS5 is $500 and XSX is $400 it'll still sell more and Sony is just too massive. It's engraved so deep in the mind of the masses, but some won't understand/feel it until the go outside the US market.

The biggest, most watched sport event on Earth

147890.jpg
I don't think there are too many people who will claim SeX will outsell PS5.

The difference is people with money will pay for better gear. And since MS and Sony pools are big enough to attract every third game equally, SeX will have just as many games as PS5, and SeX games will look and play better.

So if you're happy with a base model Honda Accord to save a few bucks, that's fine. I'll get a Lexus GS.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
I still don't get it. People can run the One X as a 1080p console if they want, no? Why not just keep manufacturing that instead of building an entirely new box?
The One X is being held back by its CPU and HDD. To be sure that the experience is similar to the Xbox Series X, but in 1080p, they need to create a new system with the same CPU and SSD, but less GPU power and RAM.

Kokoloko85

I play games not sales. If I wanted to play the console that currently sells the most I'd buy a Switch.

Some of you need to get your priorities straight. The console selling more doesn't mean you have a more enjoyable gaming experience.

Yeah and Playstaion has the better games lol. Mix of all the 3rd party and decidated 1st party games.

Top Bottom