• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Controversial Bodybuilder and Youtuber Rich Piana Dies After Medical Emergency

UUNaf0O.png

FgpGAjE.jpg
I never thought he looked good

Watched a few of this dude's videos over the past year. He was disgusting both outside and in. While that is a shitty way to go, it was the only inevitable outcome for a guy who lived like that.

He looked terrible, not surprising at all. Do drugs, die.

Well usually yes. Weirdly enough when I worked at hospital I one time wrote medical report of man aged 92 who drank almost bottle of vodka a day and smoked one pack of cigarettes a day and had done both for decades. Only medical issue he had when he came for yearly examination was slightly high blood pressure. Genetic freak.

nitronite

They certainly didn't help matters if they weren't the 'direct cause'.

You pro steroids or something?

I'm not pro-steroids, but I do find it a bit distasteful to immediately bash someone for his addiction right after his death. Just as you wouldn't start gloating over some famous anorexic person dying of malnourishment, saying: "See! I told you he'd didn't eat enough.", so too I don't think it's appropriate to mock someone for having bigorexia (which is definitely a real thing), especially given that he actually died, based on initial reports, from a cocaine OD. His cocaine addiction may also be related to his bigorexia.

Most deaths due to cocaine are because of heart complications. Steroids enlarge the heart.

Are you really implying that steroids are not capable of exasperating health issues?

Obviously steroids, HGH, synthol, insulin and everything else this guy was taking, in the quantities that he was taking them, are bad for your health. Let me get that out of the way. But when I said that the main cause of death was cocaine, would you not agree that that is the case?

Obviously steroids, HGH, synthol, insulin and everything else this guy was taking, in the quantities that he was taking them, are bad for your health. Let me get that out of the way. But when I said that the main cause of death was cocaine, would you not agree that that is the case?

So your original post was talking to no one since you assumed people were attributing steroids to be his main cause of death when it seems that everyone here is posting with the understanding that steroids exasperated any health issue he would have had.

I'm not pro-steroids, but I do find it a bit distasteful to immediately bash someone for his addiction right after his death. Just as you wouldn't start gloating over some famous anorexic person dying of malnourishment, saying: "See! I told you he'd didn't eat enough.", so too I don't think it's appropriate to mock someone for having bigorexia (which is definitely a real thing), especially given that he actually died, based on initial reports, from a cocaine OD. His cocaine addiction may also be related to his bigorexia.

weird straw man. i didn't see anybody bashing him for his addiction.

nitronite

So your original post was talking to no one since you assumed people were attributing steroids to be his main cause of death when it seems that everyone here is posting with the understanding that steroids exasperated any health issue he would have had.

Do you want me to quote all of the very first responses in this thread? Because it sure as hell doesn't seem to me that 'everyone posted with the understanding that steroids exasperate any health issue you would have had'. Almost every one of those comments was basically saying: "Don't do steroids or you'll die", which is miles away from the nuanced position that you are now taking.

Hjod

Banned
Mixing in cocaine is like trying to die. Didn't Zyzz die the same way?

His heart gave out, so I think he did.

Rich was very open what he put in his body, and he should really recive some props for it.

Because the whole fitness industry is full of people using roids, hgh and so on. And young people look up to them, thinking that they are natural, and if they just work out alot and take the same supplements they will achive the same looks as their favorite fitness profile.

I don't care what people put in their own body, but people should just stop lying about being clean imo.

And I say that as someone who has done steroids before. Not the insane amounts pro bodybuilders use but I've taken them.

Do you want me to quote all of the very first responses in this thread? Because it sure as hell doesn't seem to me that 'everyone posted with the understanding that steroids exasperate any health issue you would have had'. Almost every one of those comments was basically saying: "Don't do steroids or you'll die", which is miles away from the nuanced position that you are now taking.

Go ahead and list them. Steroids contributed to his health.

Not surprising, he's been destined for this path for a long time now. Kind of weird, but I was hooked on watching his videos for a while. Not sure why, I don't even lift anymore, but it was sort of fascinating in a train wreck type of way I guess. RIP.

Nipo

Schwarzenegger is 70 and still looks pretty healthy. Were the steroids different back then or is he just lucky/rich so he can bypass a lot of common problems.

Ozigizo

Well usually yes. Weirdly enough when I worked at hospital I one time wrote medical report of man aged 92 who drank almost bottle of vodka a day and smoked one pack of cigarettes a day and had done both for decades. Only medical issue he had when he came for yearly examination was slightly high blood pressure. Genetic freak.

Wait, you met Scott Steiner?

Also, steroid defence force? The fuck?

nitronite

This is a rather unsavory opinion. Are drug addicts not worthy of sympathy/empathy?

What people need to understand is that Rich Piana, for all of his racism, sexism, you name it, was one of ridiculously few Youtube bodybuilders who was open about his steroid use. Too many times you see guys like Mike O'Hearn going: "Buy my ridiculously unnecessary and expensive program and you too can look like me", leading young, impressionable people to have grossly unrealistic body image and muscle gaining progression standards. And it's not just Youtube bodybuilders, it's Hollywood actors, it's magazine covers, commercials, it's everywhere.

Which is why it isn't surprising to me when a guy who is honest about that kind of stuff, and has a unique personality to put it mildly, finds a certain following.

Q8D3vil

Not a fan, but at least he was honest unlike some other pathological liers who actually believed they were natural.
rip

jufonuk

not tag worthy
ITT: people drawing hasty conclusions about somebody's death. Initial reports state that he died from a cocaine OD, and as much as some of you would like steroids to be the main cause of his death, they weren't.

Well they didn't help him though.

You're telling me that THIS GUY was leading an unhealthy lifestyle? No way.

nintchdbpict000345090840.jpg

Still sad that he died, though, even if turns out he contributed to his own death.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Schwarzenegger is 70 and still looks pretty healthy. Were the steroids different back then or is he just lucky/rich so he can bypass a lot of common problems.

He was smart and got off them quick once he made it to Hollywood

These morons and their "cycles" and injecting god knows what to show off to the public it's all natural or OK to take this stuff

Motherfucker died for being stupid and not figuring out that sooner or later that shit will catch up with you

Be it Monster Physical Freak or 600lb Rotund Obesity Freak, you know it's coming
Funny how all the pictures have a "Kill It" slogan, the foreshadowing it was really unnecessary

synthol, and I think he did other stuff as well

I'm all for pro enhancement drugs. All the athletes are on something. Let them go crazy with it.
Yeah, I was always shocked by his following considering how crazy he started to look after he started abusing synthol. He may have had body dysmorphia or something since there was no need for him to do that, he was already huge.

Hjod

Banned

These morons and their "cycles" and injecting god knows what to show off to the public it's all natural

Motherfucker died for being stupid and not figuring out that sooner or later that shit will catch up with you

Be it Monster Physical Freak or 600lb Rotund Obesity Freak, you know it's coming
Funny how all the pictures have a "Kill It" slogan, the foreshadowing it was really unnecessary

And Arnold did very small amounts of steroids, compared to Rich and other BBs of today. I think Dorian Yates was on something around 1000mg a week, test, hgh and insulin. So sure, it was just a matter of time.

Does anyone know about this guy? Was his body built with anything other then steroids? Like injections in his arms or something?

At first I thought it was this guy
greg5.jpg

These morons and their "cycles" and injecting god knows what to show off to the public it's all natural or OK to take this stuff

Pretty much. I remember noticing that 'movie' Arnold and 'bodybuilder' Arnold were two distinctly different sizes. Can't keep that shit up. Just like a big dude @ 20 can't carry that weight @ 50. It catches up eventually.

Top Bottom