• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoroCoro Pokemon Info: New Zygarde Forms, New Anime (XY & Z)

ffdgh

Dog zygard is my favorite.
Greninja ash tho....lol wut

The water katana from Smash appear to be canon now. And actually integrated into new Greninja's design.

Haha that's amazing. Begs the question of wether or not they're inspired by smash or smash was a very very early tease.

Zubz

Banned
Perfect Zygarde's everything I could've hoped for, but why does it have a dog form? The worm makes sense because it becomes a serpent, and the serpent's ground-based, which explains why it's a golem. Where do dogs come into the picture?

Nanashrew

Banned
Perfect Zygarde's everything I could've hoped for, but why does it have a dog form? The worm makes sense because it becomes a serpent, and the serpent's ground-based, which explains why it's a golem. Where do dogs come into the picture?

If it's based from lore it's probably Fenrir, another one of Loki's children.

The_children_of_Loki_by_Willy_Pogany.png

ffdgh

Better than being Zoroark. Poor unloved Zoroark. The world will come around to your glory...someday.

They made zoroark event exclusive for some silly reason unlike lucario.
Illusion is rather meh.
Zoura is cuter...and probably more popular lol.

Crayolan

I hope they make gen 7 and include Z as end game content to explore the past region again. Pokemon X and Y felt like they lacked end game content , having Z with minor changes to story doesn't sound too exciting.

It's not uncommon for the first set of releases in a gen to have a lacking post-game.

Ruby/Sapphire, Diamond/Pearl, and Black/White all also had pretty barebones post-games, and all their second versions/sequels fixed this.

Z will probably have more stuff to do in the post-game than XY and ORAS combined.

JoeM86

Do feel the need to remind people that Generation VI isn't even two years old yet. It's far too early to talk about another generation.

Wow, those Zygarde forms look terrible. A dog? I can't.

The Fenrir reference makes sense, I guess we'll need to fuse all together to get Kaijugarde.

Both those forms don't do it for me, sadly. I really like base Zygarde.

Xerotwo

Something about Zygarde wasn't clicking for me once he appeared. He only appeared AFTER the main story and there wasn't much that I recall compared to the main two of XY.

ash_ag

Provided that there are more Zygarde forms, they could potentially create an interesting mechanic out of it. The player could receive a single Zygarde Core as the game begins, collecting Cells and/or Cores to gain access to more forms along the way. It'll be similar to evolution in a way, but also tied to the story. Upon reaching Zygarde 50%, the aim would be to confront the other "regular" Zygarde and become Perfect Zygarde.

Also curious about Greninja's appearance tying to some mechanic. One possibility would obviously be variant Pokémon. But Trainer customization also comes to mind. Greninja's colours could change depending on the outfit worn by the player. Granted, that would be too unique a feature for only one of the starters, but who knows?

My biggest gripe with X/Y was the game engine. Just think the game looks pretty bad in the overworld. I know the Z games won't have a new engine, hope they improved on the existing one though. Probably not.

Well, I was overthinking Zygarde Core, that's for sure. XP

What they're doing with the anime is bizarre, though. They're seriously announcing a tie-in anime series to a game they haven't even announced yet? Either they announce Z next month, in which the anime announcement was a month premature, or they don't and it's advertising an unannounced product. It's a bizarre strategy either way.

Zygarde and its new formes certainly are getting a lot of focus in the anime this year by the looks of things. I wouldn't be shocked if it turned out that it wasn't really featured in next year's movie, or at least was deemphasised in comparison to Volcanion and whatever else we're getting.

Garuroh

I was hoping for hints about new Kalos Pokemon (gen 6.5) :(

How this arc will play out? Pokemon Z is not even announced yet and probably will be released next year o_o

The likelihood of that was so ridiculously low. I don't even know why people kept insisting it'd happen

In fairness, Zygarde Core was throwing everyone off. It was clearly something new, and it just so happens that people (myself included) jumped to the wrong conclusion.

Now we know it's a new type of forme, though, there's no reason to believe that Z will have new Pokémon.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I just got back from a movie and saw this news. I am hyped, and yet two posts make me lose my hype in an effort to sound stupid. I'll get to those first before I go hype mode.

Pretty much one of the reasons why I really don't give a shit about the anime. I have no reason to get invested in an idiot protagonist who doesn't develop nor actually accomplish anything meaningful, especially if the writers aren't remotely subtle about keeping things that way.

Now, the Pokemon Adventures manga? That's the platinum standard, right there.

You know what. Fuck off. This sounds like someone who only watched OS, then simply read snippets of the series he didn't watch. Complete with "the manga" too! You're sounding like that kid who likes to bandwagon shit and gets info from summaries. You're in for some rude awakening. At least you refer to it as Adventures, I'd laugh at you even more if you say "the manga".

First off, this is me who never actively cared for the show until XY. So I am going to say this - do not assume Ash never changes because he never finishes the league. Not only is it ignorant, it diminishes a lot of the stuff that were important.

Yes people were a bit burned out that Ash didn't win DP league. But you know what? He conquered Paul. His fight with Paul was much more anticipated. He got over him, the guy who was essentially giving him challenge, something Gary never even gave back in OS (who never really gave Ash a run for his money until the Johto cup).

Idiot? Fuck off. This is the guy that anticipated Swellow's Guts, the guy who strategized around Darkrai, and the fellow who sneered at Trick Room. Those aren't even DEM (which is hilarious coming from PokeSpe). Yeah OS Ash has a lot of asspulls but it's not like Ash remained as an OS self.

Character development? Yeah sure, because right now I am watching an idiotic Ash who acts like a baggage to his teammates right? No, fuck you. Ash right now is the big brother who acts mature while reckless. This isn't OS Ash. Hell even back in AG he tutored May prior to Brock's return. In DP he acted as Dawn's brother. Now he IS the Brock who inspired two characters to step up their lives and right now is training a soon-to-be rival.

Doesn't accomplish? What, you mean the vaguely defined goal that is actually more of a hook with winning the league actually optional? Winning the league isn't even just that much important. Filler? Oh so what about Battle Frontier which he won, a mode where they tend to be harder than the actual Elite 4? Or what about his more personal conflicts like with Gary or Paul? You trivialize important things for the sake of your stupid argument.

And I'm not even touching characterization that is handled better. Hell, Sycamore, the trio friends, and Diantha are already miles ahead better in XY than in their games particularly because of their involvement. Clemont having a dad was a much better move that I wish they add him in the games.

This fellatio of the manga deserves a quoting that I am so prepared to do it after the next quote even. It's laughable you think it's fresh when it too is full of cliches and stupidity encompassing your anime.

Yeah, pretty much. The writers will actively do whatever it takes to prevent the poor kid from becoming a champion, because status quo, lol.

And this... This is fucking laughable it hurts!

It's one thing to prefer PokeSpe over the anime, it's another to say it's superior.

Status quo? HAH! You simply replaced one status quo to another. You think Spe is special? They recycle plenty of things like the protagonists, changing just one aspect to another (oh, you mean like Ash in the anime? Stop the presses!). The only truly different character is Sapphire with her jungle girl thing and HAH, we can't have that character last a bit longer can we!

Oh and talk about making Pokemon irrelevant unless they're part of the story! Fuck that bonding, we just give them a scene and two and BAM! Bonding! And pfft, who likes Hawlucha being an uncle to a Noibat, we got Xinnia trying to seduce Ruby! That's much better!

It's laughable that you folks consider it better when it's as "shit" as what you claim, only it's different kind of shit.

-
-
-

And with that out of the way time for me to prepare my hype post later.

ash_ag

The likelihood of that was so ridiculously low. I don't even know why people kept insisting it'd happen

Complete Pokémon availability between XY and ORAS would be one thing, metagame having become too much settled would be another. And then came Zygarde Core that indeed threw many people off.

With how Zygarde Core is potentially a tight mechanic tied to a single Pokémon, I don't know about "Gen 6.5" anymore, but the problems remain. I guess they could add new rulesets and limit use of the most overused Pokémon as far as competitive battling is concerned, but I'm very concerned about the ecosystem. Variant Pokémon (like "Ash Greninja" or Cosplay Pikachu) could shake things up, but I'm not sure if they'd go with that yet.

I just got back from a movie and saw this news. I am hyped, and yet two posts make me lose my hype in an effort to sound stupid. I'll get to those first before I go hype mode.

You know what. Fuck off. This sounds like someone who only watched OS, then simply read snippets of the series he didn't watch. Complete with "the manga" too! You're sounding like that kid who likes to bandwagon shit and gets info from summaries. You're in for some rude awakening. At least you refer to it as Adventures, I'd laugh at you even more if you say "the manga".

First off, this is me who never actively cared for the show until XY. So I am going to say this - do not assume Ash never changes because he never finishes the league. Not only is it ignorant, it diminishes a lot of the stuff that were important.

Yes people were a bit burned out that Ash didn't win DP league. But you know what? He conquered Paul. His fight with Paul was much more anticipated. He got over him, the guy who was essentially giving him challenge, something Gary never even gave back in OS (who never really gave Ash a run for his money until the Johto cup).

Idiot? Fuck off. This is the guy that anticipated Swellow's Guts, the guy who strategized around Darkrai, and the fellow who sneered at Trick Room. Those aren't even DEM (which is hilarious coming from PokeSpe). Yeah OS Ash has a lot of asspulls but it's not like Ash remained as an OS self.

Character development? Yeah sure, because right now I am watching an idiotic Ash who acts like a baggage to his teammates right? No, fuck you. Ash right now is the big brother who acts mature while reckless. This isn't OS Ash. Hell even back in AG he tutored May prior to Brock's return. In DP he acted as Dawn's brother. Now he IS the Brock who inspired two characters to step up their lives and right now is training a soon-to-be rival.

Doesn't accomplish? What, you mean the vaguely defined goal that is actually more of a hook with winning the league actually optional? Winning the league isn't even just that much important. Filler? Oh so what about Battle Frontier which he won, a mode where they tend to be harder than the actual Elite 4? Or what about his more personal conflicts like with Gary or Paul? You trivialize important things for the sake of your stupid argument.

And I'm not even touching characterization that is handled better. Hell, Sycamore, the trio friends, and Diantha are already miles ahead better in XY than in their games particularly because of their involvement. Clemont having a dad was a much better move that I wish they add him in the games.

This fellatio of the manga deserves a quoting that I am so prepared to do it after the next quote even. It's laughable you think it's fresh when it too is full of cliches and stupidity encompassing your anime.

And this... This is fucking laughable it hurts!

It's one thing to prefer PokeSpe over the anime, it's another to say it's superior.

Status quo? HAH! You simply replaced one status quo to another. You think Spe is special? They recycle plenty of things like the protagonists, changing just one aspect to another (oh, you mean like Ash in the anime? Stop the presses!). The only truly different character is Sapphire with her jungle girl thing and HAH, we can't have that character last a bit longer can we!

Oh and talk about making Pokemon irrelevant unless they're part of the story! Fuck that bonding, we just give them a scene and two and BAM! Bonding! And pfft, who likes Hawlucha being an uncle to a Noibat, we got Xinnia trying to seduce Ruby! That's much better!

It's laughable that you folks consider it better when it's as "shit" as what you claim, only it's different kind of shit.

-
-
-

And with that out of the way time for me to prepare my hype post later.

Holy shit, dude, calm down. Geez.

For the record, I actually kept watching the anime until roughly the end of Ruby and Sapphire, I think. The anime isn't all bad, it does have its good points, and I know later seasons have their ups as well, but I just don't really care for it as a whole anymore, though it's partly because I'm just not really invested in Ash as a character (that, and the obscene episode backlog). Sure, Adventures 'drops' protagonists between each 'game', but each new protagonist is unique (really, pretty much all of the Adventures protagonists really stand out in some fashion, such as Ruby and Sapphire swapping the expected gender roles (and Sapphire being the jungle girl), Diamond and Pearl's comedy routines, and BW2's protagonists being an interpol agent and a former Team Plasma grunt respectively), interesting and has their own character arc, and they do often return when given the opportunity with new challenges and character development (a good chunk of GS and Emerald are both big reunion arcs, and it is awesome). Adventures isn't perfect (what is, really), but the overall tone and writing feels like the definitive Pokemon adaptation to me.

Also, Giovanni isn't much in the anime. Adventures!Giovanni, though? Fucking badass. Both his role in the RBG and FRLG arcs is something to behild.

But I don't want to start a lengthy argument over the quality of both series, so I think it's probably best to agree to disagree. It's neither the anime or the manga are going away anytime soon. I just wish the manga was more available and better-promoted outside of Japan, though.

Sandfox

Complete Pokémon availability between XY and ORAS would be one thing, metagame having become too much settled would be another. And then came Zygarde Core that indeed threw many people off.

With how Zygarde Core is potentially a tight mechanic tied to a single Pokémon, I don't know about "Gen 6.5" anymore, but the problems remain. I guess they could add new rulesets and limit use of the most overused Pokémon as far as competitive battling is concerned, but I'm very concerned about the ecosystem. Variant Pokémon (like "Ash Greninja" or Cosplay Pikachu) could shake things up, but I'm not sure if they'd go with that yet.

There will be some new things for the metagame in Z to hold people off until the next generation, but I don't see them doing anything to solve that "problem".

Holy shit, dude, calm down. Geez.

For the record, I actually kept watching the anime until roughly the end of Ruby and Sapphire, I think. The anime isn't all bad, it does have its good points, and I know later seasons have their ups as well, but I just don't really care for it as a whole anymore, though it's partly because I'm just not really invested in Ash as a character (that, and the obscene episode backlog). Sure, Adventures 'drops' protagonists between each 'game', but each new protagonist is unique (really, pretty much all of the Adventures protagonists really stand out in some fashion, such as Ruby and Sapphire swapping the expected gender roles (and Sapphire being the jungle girl), Diamond and Pearl's comedy routines, and BW2's protagonists being an interpol agent and a former Team Plasma grunt respectively), interesting and has their own character arc, and they do often return when given the opportunity with new challenges and character development (a good chunk of GS and Emerald are both big reunion arcs, and it is awesome). Adventures isn't perfect (what is, really), but the overall tone and writing feels like the definitive Pokemon adaptation to me.

Also, Giovanni isn't much in the anime. Adventures!Giovanni, though? Fucking badass. Both his role in the RBG and FRLG arcs is something to behild.

But I don't want to start a lengthy argument over the quality of both series, so I think it's probably best to agree to disagree. It's neither the anime or the manga are going away anytime soon. I just wish the manga was more available and better-promoted outside of Japan, though.
The manga is widely available outside of Japan.

yami4ct

There will be some new things for the metagame in Z to hold people off until the next generation, but I don't see them doing anything to solve that "problem".

The manga is widely available outside of Japan.

I'm not sure how much Z will change the meta. I will doubt we'll see many new forms aside from legends banned from play. The staples right now are staples for a reason. They are extremely well rounded and fill out their rolls incredibly well. Unless we see pokemon explicitly created to counter the genies, Mega Kenga, etc., I doubt the meta will get too much change from Z. Maybe some new move tutors can shake up some move pools, but I can't see it changing all that much. We probably need a whole new crop of pokemon to change up the options.

Sandfox

I'm not sure how much Z will change the meta. I will doubt we'll see many new forms aside from legends banned from play. The staples right now are staples for a reason. They are extremely well rounded and fill out their rolls incredibly well. Unless we see pokemon explicitly created to counter the genies, Mega Kenga, etc., I doubt the meta will get too much change from Z. Maybe some new move tutors can shake up some move pools, but I can't see it changing all that much. We probably need a whole new crop of pokemon to change up the options.

The Therian and Rotom formes were added in the "third" games so its too early to say that. Its also possible that they tweak some small things that they've noticed.

How is the anime these days? I'm not expecting serialized plots or dramatic reveals at this point, but. It doesn't seem like it'd be hard to do a basic adaptation of the game plots. BW's anime was so weird to me since it had a plot that could easily been adapted, but they never went for it. (I think they introduced N for some episodes but I'm not sure how good it was.)

I imagine XY's anime is the same? An adaptation of the Pokemon Special comic would be nice. Just as long as it's not as rushed as the weird Pokemon Origins thing was.

yami4ct

The Therian and Rotom formes were added in the "third" games so its too early to say that. Its also possible that they tweak some small things that they've noticed.

I definitely could see some shakeups, but I personally don't hold too much hope that the current big picks are gonna shift that much. We might see 3-4 new pokemon at most slip into the rotation. I hope I'm wrong, but we'll see. I'm not huge into competitive anyway, so it doesn't affect me too much. I more just like to enjoy it from afar.

Sandfox

How is the anime these days? I'm not expecting serialized plots or dramatic reveals at this point, but. It doesn't seem like it'd be hard to do a basic adaptation of the game plots. BW's anime was so weird to me since it had a plot that could easily been adapted, but they never went for it. (I think they introduced N for some episodes but I'm not sure how good it was.)

I imagine XY's anime is the same? An adaptation of the Pokemon Special comic would be nice. Just as long as it's not as rushed as the weird Pokemon Origins thing was.

XY seems to be way better than BW based on the bits I've seen. Pokemon Special/Adventures has probably missed any chance of having an anime at this point.

Razmos

I love the dog (10%) form, not sure how I feel about 100% form yet but it will probably grow on me.

Happy to finally hear something about Pokemon Z. Bring it to me! i need it!

My two cents about Ash Greninja- I reckon it is a Mega (note the watery cross on its back, the slightly different build and the different markings on its chest). I also reckon that its going to have the gimmick that Mega evolution makes it take on characteristics of its trainer, as a result of having Protean for an ability- hence Ash Greninja.

So they announced they XYZ anime BEFORE they actually announced the Z game?

Have they done anything like that before?

Not really, no. It's an odd way to go about the announcement. Between the new Zygarde forms and this announcement, it's weird that Z wasn't actually announced this past month.

Top Bottom