• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoroCoro Pokemon Info: New Zygarde Forms, New Anime (XY & Z)

I like the golem but I really don't get the point of having it as a blob -> dog -> snake. That makes no sense whatsoever and is kinda turning me off it.

Oops forgot it was based on Norse myths. That explains it.

That's totally Dobermon.

59ssQMX.jpg
Holy shit it is.

Qurupeke

Complete Zygarde must be one of the weirdest dragons out there. It has some dragon features, but overall it looks more like a robot. The tease for this certainly gave me a different impression. I was expecting a Kaiju but I got a giant robot. Also, its body seems to like a head.

Technically, Zorua and Zoroark were revealed before Black & White, too

And Munchlax with Diamond & Pearl.

Not just Munchlax, didn't we only know the names of D&P when Weavile, Bonsly and Mime Jr were revealed? Plus Kecleon appeared in the Gold and Silver anime before Gen III was revealed, AFAIK. And then there's Togepi.

Not really the same thing, as of course they pre-empt the reveal of a new generation a lot earlier than a expansion game for hype-related reasons, but yeah. What gets me here is how they announced their whole plans for a Z anime, rather than just "oh here's a weird new Pokemon forme, stay tuned for what that means!!!" *cut to a month later, full blowout with new game, anime, etc*

MegaMelon

I'd just like to point out that with 6th gen, a lot of pokemon look bad in their 2d artwork, but look much better in their 3d models. Even disregarding this, the movie poster shows that the same thing can look much better depending on angles/etc. Look at Perfect Zygarde to see what I mean.

Forkball

Perfect Zygarde is a damn Gundam. And a dog form? He goes tadpole > dog > cobra > mecha? Pokemon is reaching MGS levels of craziness.

JoeM86

Not just Munchlax, didn't we only know the names of D&P when Weavile, Bonsly and Mime Jr were revealed? Plus Kecleon appeared in the Gold and Silver anime before Gen III was revealed, AFAIK. And then there's Togepi.

Not really the same thing, as of course they pre-empt the reveal of a new generation a lot earlier than a expansion game for hype-related reasons, but yeah. What gets me here is how they announced their whole plans for a Z anime, rather than just "oh here's a weird new Pokemon forme, stay tuned for what that means!!!" *cut to a month later, full blowout with new game, anime, etc*

Pokémon have appeared in the anime after a game was announced but before release, yeah.

Weavile, Bonsly and Mime Jr. were revealed a month or two before DP's first screenshots, but we had information and everything about the game at that point already.

Weavile, BOnsly and Mime Jr. were revealed a month or two before DP's first screenshots, but we had information and everything about the game at that point already.

I was getting all my information from NOM UK so a bit probably got lost in communication there.

ash_ag

Perfect Zygarde is a damn Gundam. And a dog form? He goes tadpole > dog > cobra > mecha? Pokemon is reaching MGS levels of craziness.

Actually, the Digimon comparison has never been more relevant. Both because of the fact that they evolve into creatures not necessarily related to the previous form, and because of levels kind of fitting.

Baby I: Cell
Baby II: Core
Child: Dog
Adult: Normal
Perfect: Perfect

A Mega Zygarde would complete the joke in the best way possible. Especially considering that the 'Ultimate' level is indeed called 'Mega' in the English dub. :p

Still, I very much like the concept. Further forms between 10% and 50% would be nice to see, especially if progressively accessed during the main quest.

Sadist

Yoo Ash's team is pretty strong. Didn't expect his first mega to be Sceptile. Charizard got robbed. Oh well, I bet more are coming. He has a Glalie and Heracross as well. I assume Torterra and Infernape will get mega's too eventually.

Now all that's left is to speculate on how Ash will lose the league this time lol

Kurita

Why do some people think Greninja is fusing with Ash/Satoshi? They obviously mean that it belongs to Ash/Satoshi, not that is an Ash-ninja hybrid or whatever smh

Also, WTF at Boss Doggie's meltdown.

Seil

Why do some people think Greninja is fusing with Ash/Satoshi? They obviously mean that it belongs to Ash/Satoshi, not that is an Ash-ninja hybrid or whatever smh

Rather than saying "Satoshi no Gekkouga" it just says "Satoshi Gekkouga". And comments on how it resembles him. That's where it's coming from.

I don't think it's a weird fusion though lol, but I kind of hope it's not the Mega since I really liked Froakie's line until this form =p Probably is, though x.x

Kurita

Rather than saying "Satoshi no Gekkouga" it just says "Satoshi Gekkouga". And comments on how it resembles him. That's where it's coming from.

I don't think it's a weird fusion though lol, but I kind of hope it's not the Mega since I really liked Froakie's line until this form =p Probably is, though x.x
I see. Well I'll gladly eat crow if that's what happen haha

Salvadora

Pokemon Z for the 20th anniversary would be pretty disappointing.

I'd love them to make it special, game wise, rather than a clockwork third version.

Styles

Whatever they do with the next version I hope they include some meaty post-game content. The OG Zygarde is still my favourite. <3

Razmos

My two cents about Ash Greninja- I reckon it is a Mega (note the watery cross on its back, the slightly different build and the different markings on its chest). I also reckon that its going to have the gimmick that Mega evolution makes it take on characteristics of its trainer, as a result of having Protean for an ability- hence Ash Greninja.
I didn't even notice it had other changes than its head until you mentioned it. The markings on the chest and the shuriken on its back are probably enough changes to call it a mega (i'm assuming mega because we've never had a starter pokemon with multiple forms)

JoeM86

Pokemon Z for the 20th anniversary would be pretty disappointing.

I'd love them to make it special, game wise, rather than a clockwork third version.

It still can be.

Remember, a true celebration is one of all 20 years, not just the first year.

Salvadora

It still can be.

Which is why I'm dead set against remakes of the first games - among other reasons.

I have fond memories of pretty much every generation so if love to see something that highlights the entire series, somehow.

Nintendo should declare it the year of Pokemon ala Luigi.

Dr. Buni

I think Game Freak is scalating things way too much in Gen 6. I don't like the direction Pokémon is taking... But I am probably in the minority.
God, Greninja is the Blaziken of this gen.
Blaziken was never as popular as Greninja is. Then again half of Greninja's popularity comes from the fact it is a Smash character.
If by special you mean remakes of Red and Blue, I hope that doesn't happen. You don't celebrate the 20th of a franchise by remaking the first games. Also, the Generation 6 already is pretty much a Generation 1 wankfest.

Sesha

It still can be.

Pokemon Zeta Emerald Green! A follow-up to XY, AS & OR, and a re-remake of gen 1.

Gen 6, 3, 1. It's almost poetic.

Gotta say I'm not digging Zygarde's new formes. They look nothing at all like the base design, and I always thought the character was a reference to Jormungandr in Norse Mythology anyway.

Pretty sure Zygarde is based on Nidhogg, the chthonic dragon gnawing on the roots of Yggdrassil.

Golurk's got some competition now. Let's see if this new form has some rocket boosters somewhere.

Not keen on it though. I liked the slithery dragon design and the relation to mythology that the trio has.

Human/Pokemon fusion?
Nonononononono

no

(probably just an anime only thing anyway)

As the poster has both Ash and Ash's Greninja on it, I'm willing to suspect it's just an appearance thing like Eternal Floette.

Seil

Pretty sure Zygarde is based on Nidhogg, the chthonic dragon gnawing on the roots of Yggdrassil.

Nidhogg was always my assumption as well, with Yveltal and Xerneas representing the eagle and the stag(s), completing the Yggdrasil trio.

Until we got the games, I was totally hoping we'd get a Skoll, Hati and Fenrir based trio for XY =p Instead we just got the birds handled in an annoying way x.x

Not sure what to make out of Greninja. People were saying that it has blades but that kind of looks like Water Shuriken to me so other than that, there's only colour differences.

I have a theory that you might get Zygarde Core early in the game and it gets powered up as you progress.

Human/pokemon fusion is probably where I sign out just like how I left digimon after season 3

Ashachu.png

Seil

Not sure what to make out of Greninja. People were saying that it has blades but that kind of looks like Water Shuriken to me so other than that, there's only colour differences.

I have a theory that you might get Zygarde Core early in the game and it gets powered up as you progress.

It has a giant water shuriken on its back, but two water blades in its hands as well in the poster shot.

NeonZ

Satoshi-Gekkouga?

looool. Well, it's anime only isn't it?

Loving the Dobermon form though, unironically I mean.

I don't think they'd be advertising it if it were just a one episode gimmick. Making an anime-only form a recurring element also seems very unlikely.

I thought they were leaning towards that in Diamond & Pearl when they made a conscious effort of introducing the Elite Four and explaining how the Pokemon League works in the animeverse (the winner of the tournament gets to challenge the Elite Four one-by-one, then the champion) but nope, Ash vs. Darkrai

That might have been related to their plans for Best Wishes though, where Satoshi was generally portrayed as a novice trainer. That'd have been even odder if he had just become a league champion beforehand.

Dryk

That might have been related to their plans for Best Wishes though, where Satoshi was generally portrayed as a novice trainer. That'd have been even odder if he had just become a league champion beforehand.
It's already odd enough, might as well go all in

CengizMan

What if your starter Pokémon ends up looking like the trainer? Say, if you have a red costume, your starter Pokémon has a red "costume" as well.

What if you're starter Pokémon ends up looking like the trainer? Say, if you have a red costume, your starter Pokémon has a red "costume" as well.
I'm thinking it might be a Mega Greninja-specific thing. Remember that Greninja's Hidden Ability is Protean, which adapts its type depending on the move its using. Maybe it adapts to look like its trainer when it Mega evolves?

We've already seen Ash with a normal-looking Greninja in merchandise, which suggests to me that Greninjash is a forme change of some description. The subtle design alterations such as the watery cross on its back, the watery swords and the pattern and frame changes make me think it's a Mega.

JoeM86

I'm thinking it might be a Mega Greninja-specific thing. Remember that Greninja's Hidden Ability is Protean, which adapts its type depending on the move its using. Maybe it adapts to look like its trainer when it Mega evolves?

That would be such a pain for me to catalogue haha

Busaiku

This looks nothing like a fusion, why do people think it's that.

Fusion is so stupid.

Hopefully Unova remakes make Kyurem forms Megas.

Cryxok

We've already seen Ash with a normal-looking Greninja in merchandise, which suggests to me that Greninjash is a forme change of some description. The subtle design alterations such as the watery cross on its back, the watery swords and the pattern and frame changes make me think it's a Mega.

I very much doubt it's a Mega Evolution for Greninja since Mega Sceptile is in the movie poster, implying Ash's Sceptile will be his Mega Pokemon.

I very much doubt it's a Mega Evolution for Greninja since Mega Sceptile is in the movie poster, implying Ash's Sceptile will be his Mega Pokemon.
I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that the Mega Sceptile was actually Sawyer's. He's Ash's rival, with a recently evolved Grovyle that has a noted rivalry with Ash's Frogadier, and has an expressed interest in Mega Evolution.

I've been calling a Mega Greninja/ Mega Sceptile showdown at the League for a while now.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that the Mega Sceptile was actually Sawyer's. He's Ash's rival, with a recently evolved Grovyle that has a noted rivalry with Ash's Frogadier, and has an expressed interest in Mega Evolution.

I've been calling a Mega Greninja/ Mega Sceptile showdown at the League for a while now.

then why does the poster show having a stare down with noivern instead of greninja?

Top Bottom