• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could Black Panther surpass Terminator 2?

Rim

I kind of hate to say this, cause it may look bad, but Black Panther suffers from if you don’t give it a good rating, you are Hitler syndrome. I’ll hold my judgement until seeing it instead of taking the critics ratings at face value. Star Wars: TLJ let me down despite its glowing reviews.
Or maybe just maybe it is a legitimate good movie, and the critics enjoyed it.
Why people assume everything has to be a social issue? Is it that hard for you to believe that the movie could be good on his own merits?

Or maybe just maybe it is a legitimate good movie, and the critics enjoyed it.
Why people assume everything has to be a social issue? Is it that hard for you to believe that the movie could be good on his own merits?
1vjksxf9sn701.png

Rim

Not just me, the majority
So are you saying that BvS is good? By your logic that must be it.
Screen-Shot-2016-03-23-at-5.43.35-PM-670x309.jpg

And obviously I assume people that claim that the reviews are tainted and with an agenda, and not because the movie is actually good, have some proof to back up those claims.
Or is it just a feeling?

Well the issue is, the fan base is who the movies are (or used to) be made for.

I don't watch super hero movies BUT i am a Star Wars geek so yes in terms of the TLJ i believe the reviewers lied. Disney is a huge powerhouse and it wouldnt be wise to bite the hand that feeds you.

BvS...i'm assuming its a case of the fans loving it and the critics not.

About black panther i dont think it will matter until the audience score evens out but you can't deny that critics won't be kissing Marvel/Disney butt.

People are already firing up the machine to shit on people who don't like the movie

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/02/08/trump-spoils-black-panther-rt-score/

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/black-panther-ed-power-review-11998023

Rim

Well the issue is, the fan base is who the movies are (or used to) be made for.

I don't watch super hero movies BUT i am a Star Wars geek so yes in terms of the TLJ i believe the reviewers lied. Disney is a huge powerhouse and it wouldnt be wise to bite the hand that feeds you.

BvS...i'm assuming its a case of the fans loving it and the critics not.

About black panther i dont think it will matter until the audience score evens out but you can't deny that critics won't be kissing Marvel/Disney butt.

People are already firing up the machine to shit on people who don't like the movie

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/02/08/trump-spoils-black-panther-rt-score/

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/black-panther-ed-power-review-11998023
So you BELIEVE is all about pleasing Marvel the reason why it will get good scores.
With absolutely nothing to back you up, that is what you believe.

Also those links means absolutely nothing. I ca easely give you links saying that people will sabotage the RT scores as well.
In fact there you go:

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/02/09/black-panther-reviews-sabotage-imdb-score/

https://movieweb.com/black-panther-movie-imdb-score-sabotaged/

https://www.themarysue.com/trolls-sabotage-black-panther-imdb-rating/

Want some more?

So you BELIEVE is all about pleasing Marvel the reason why it will get good scores.
With absolutely nothing to back you up, that is what you believe.

Also those links means absolutely nothing. I ca easely give you links saying that people will sabotage the RT scores as well.
In fact there you go:

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/02/09/black-panther-reviews-sabotage-imdb-score/

https://movieweb.com/black-panther-movie-imdb-score-sabotaged/

https://www.themarysue.com/trolls-sabotage-black-panther-imdb-rating/

Want some more?

b62.jpg

Jon Neu

Banned
It's obvious Black Panther it's being artificially pushed up by the same people who kept saying Wonder Woman was this groundbreaking awesome movie.

Mahadev

I don't get it. Are you saying that their opinion is not valid because you think differently than them?

He's saying that the critics don't even slightly represent the opinion of the public which is true.

Having said that the user scores aren't representative of these movies either because aside from the fact that corporations manipulate even the user scores with thousands of fake accounts there are also the people reacting to critics being huge hacks and scoring the movies very low to counter the bullshit critics are spreading. So even user scores are a clusterfuck.

Makariel

It's obvious Black Panther it's being artificially pushed up by the same people who kept saying Wonder Woman was this groundbreaking awesome movie.
Wonder woman kicked ass! :D

Yeah it was a misrepresentation of WW1, had some plotholes etc but was a good comic book movie, escaping the dreary and daft snyderverse. Too bad dc messed up the next one straight away.

Is this a serious topic..?? This feels like bait.
It is as serious as you take it ;)

Jon Neu

Banned
Wonder woman kicked ass! :D

Yeah it was a misrepresentation of WW1, had some plotholes etc but was a good comic book movie, escaping the dreary and daft snyderverse. Too bad dc messed up the next one straight away.

It is as serious as you take it ;)

WW was an OK superhero movie that was more praised because of the "social cause".

Makariel

WW was an OK superhero movie that was more praised because of the "social cause".
I don't give a flying shit about the social cause, it was still a fun action movie. Chris Pine convinced me in this movie that he could do a modern day Indiana Jones if they were to try something new, and in contrast to the other dc movies of recent years we finally got a hero who acts like one, and is not some whiny bitch all emo and gloomy because the world is shit (yeah we get it) etc.

INC

just no

The only action film that's close to even being decent in the last 5 years is john wick 1 and 2, and that's not even near T2, but as straight-up action films they're the best of the bunch as of late

As far as cinematography goes, the only films I can think of that are close too T2 are Chris Nolan films like inception interstellar and dark knight

The reason is probably down too the fact that just like T2 they all use a perfect mix of cgi and practical effects,making them timeless and less likely to look dated

My cents anyway

Paracelsus

And obviously I assume people that claim that the reviews are tainted and with an agenda, and not because the movie is actually good, have some proof to back up those claims.
Or is it just a feeling?

BvS is a bizarro TLJ. The 37% is "this is not what we expected by Batman nor Superman, and the movie makes no sense", the 83% are the Rogue One fans who don't care about the completely different tone and like that brooding dark violent action. Vice versa, TLJ 91 is "Hey it's Star Wars!", the 48 is "what were you even thinking?". The Disney strong arm backlashed into the user score, because god forbid anybody trashing any Disney movie of the modern era. If AoU, which I liked, was made by DC, it would have been in the low 30s instead of a comfortable 75.

Spladam

I don't understand how OP is this hyped for that MCU spin-off, but as hypothetical questions go, this seems a kinda weak one. And no, it won't.

KevinKeene

Banned

Or is it just a feeling?

BvS (Director's Cut) is a great movie, yes.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
So.... Is anyone doing a black panther OT? Cough* mister Apoc" cough cough.

So I can post my impressions of it

Its a solid marvel movie!

Never.

Terminator 2 is objectively good but Black Panther is just a run-of-the-mill superhero film sprinkled with race bait politics. It should've been named Black Pander.

20cent

Banned
The question should be "is the costume design in Black Panther better than Coppola's Dracula"?
Because the comments I see from several articles or twitter are over the top. Costume design in this movie just look like as cheezy as it is in a Thor movie.

And the same people pushed TLJ because it had strong wumenz !

I've always had some doubts about movie reviewers, but since TLJ, I don't trust them AT ALL.

VAL0R

Banned
Never.

Terminator 2 is objectively good but Black Panther is just a run-of-the-mill superhero film sprinkled with race bait politics. It should've been named Black Pander.

Did you see it? If there's a lot of divisive race crap and groaning about "white privilege" this becomes a rental instead of a ticket purchase for me. The laughably bad yellow catman vs. purple catman cgi fight scene has already made me hesitant to shell out money for the cinema.

Graven

Fury Road is also a damn good action movie.

To me, the greateast action movies of the last few years, easily in my list of best movies ever.

I think BP will be fun, but i find it hard for it to be as groundbreaking as T2(few movies are actually).

TheWatcher

Banned
Did you see it? If there's a lot of divisive race crap and groaning about "white privilege" this becomes a rental instead of a ticket purchase for me. The laughably bad yellow catman vs. purple catman cgi fight scene has already made me hesitant to shell out money for the cinema.

Erik Killmonger wants Wakandan technology to kill whitey.

I loved Black Panther when I was first introduced to him in the mid 90s, but this film is nothing but CGI pandering garbage. Blade practically revived the comic movie genre in the late 90s and nobody batted an idea about representation because people just thirsted for a decent superhero film.

ruvikx

Banned
Probably. You don't build up this much hype based on nothing.

Ahem, this seems to happen every year nowadays... several times a year - especially vis-à-vis Hollywood blockbusters & Disney. Critics have ceased applying critical thinking & certain movies are now supported by the entire industry, including the mainstream media (their defense force against criticism of the latest Star Wars was mind-blowing). I miss the old days when critics - & even industry insiders alike - would unleash hell on flawed blokcbusters. Imagine someone such as Elijah Wood in today's Hollywood calling one of Disney's movies a "piece of shit"? https://www.theguardian.com/film/2001/nov/18/lordoftherings.features

Which is not to imply that Wood doesn't love movies. In fact, he applauds Ang Lee's success with Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon ('That's the kind of movie that should be making massive money - not that fucking Pearl Harbour piece of shit'); bemoans mainstream Hollywood ('Where have all the good movies gone?'); and champions smart films like this year's Memento and 1998's Rushmore ('A perfect movie').

In one month the 'masses' will have moved on from Black Panther, just as they have moved on from Star Wars. Rey for example was (hilariously) supposed to be a breakthrough female character (let's just pretend Ripley & Sarah Connor circa 1970's/80's never existed!), just as we have professional hype merchants pretending Black Panther is a groundbreaking "This will change the world!" movie... with the only net result being a lot of money in the studio's pockets.

Money, money & more money - that's what Hollywood is all about. The rest? (including social commentary & politics) are merely tools cynically wielded to generate buzz & make the aforementioned money. I mean what if some of us generally feel superhero movies look goofy with awful costumes, shit dialogue & convoluted forgettable plots? We face a childish barrage of name calling from the media & industry itself for xyz reasons.

Wakey-wakey @ Hollywood: it's just an effing movie.

ruvikx

Banned
I think BP will be fun, but i find it hard for it to be as groundbreaking as T2(few movies are actually).

Terminator 2's 'never before seen' special effects alone rendered its position at the top of the "greatest science fiction action movie of all time" list untouchable. Add Cameron's directing, tight plot, Arnold at the height of his charisma, some of the most quoted dialogue ("Hasta la vista, baby" is known all over the world) & Brad Fiedel's soundtrack as icing on the cake & voilà, an immortal masterpiece.

if james cameron is ever involved with future terminator movies, I hope they go for a more darker, horror-like movie than the action pack of two

Top Bottom