• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Counter-Strike 2 Revealed - Info & Beta Discussion

MiguelItUp

This is SO fucking good, I'm SO excited about this, good lord. CS has always meant a lot to me, playing it's earliest iterations up to CS:GO. I basically grew up with this damn game. It's so cool to see CS2 actually falling into place. It looks outstanding, and Valve IS still making games. I'm so happy, lol.

Last edited:

Hugare

I dont like the new lighting

Makes sense so you can see better, but it was a downgrade in terms of art style.

Everything looks like it has brightness at 120%. Way too bright.

Love the new smoke effects. A simple change that will completely change the game.

ClosBSAS

Smoke physics are nice but all in all graphically it doesn't look as impressive.
60fps game...it needs to be to keep the pro scene alive. Either way, pros will disable all to get 100fps or more. It's useless to ask for rtx and shit. It's good enough

asker

Just like with the introduction of the physics engine in Source1 and trying to force that into the gameplay of CS:Source, they once again have cool tech that they want to shoehorn into the game regardless of if it makes sense for the gameplay, in this case with the dynamic smoke.

Not only is this not how smoke behaves, but I don't think it will be beneficial for the gameplay to have smoke visibility be conditional based on explosions and bullets. Smoke should be a consistent way of blocking of sight lines.

Valve are stubborn when it comes to these things as well. Even when a change or new feature dont't work or don't accomplish what it set out to fix, they never revert or reconsider their decision. We will be stuck with these smokes.

VN1X

Banned
Me and a friend are going ape shit on discord. Spamming my gf as well with all of the new stuff (she has more hours in CS than me lol).

I don't often get emotional with regards to videogame announcements but this is just insanity. Definitely check out the main website for all of the info currently released and some extra media as well: https://counter-strike.net/cs2

What I can't believe is that we're getting even MORE stuff down the line apparently. As a CS fan I'm just blown away.

Last edited:

Doczu

Also, I was expecting this to be a troll thread when I clicked on it.

"Counter Strike, 2 first videos"
hd reference GIF

calistan

bring it to console and COD will be DEAD.
Nope! The chances of a CS noob like me getting into it, when other players have been getting expert on the same damned maps for 20 years, are probably zero.

There's a lot to be said for the CoD way of resetting everything every year.

So does anyone know if this is coming to console like CS:GO did two gens ago?

It pissed me off that they never ported it over to PS4 because I played a decent amount of it.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I love how console players are like "Uh it look bad".
Well yeah, but that's not the point. Gameplay is everything for CS and the graphics should be as clean as possible. No bullshit. No RTX. Just pure gameplay.

You don't play CS because it beautiful, you play it because it's awesome.

after 6 years and 1800 hours
200.gif

No console release = fail
Define failure, because CS doesn't care about consoles.

image.png

bring it to console and COD will be DEAD.
CS on the OG Xbox was good but massively flawed. CSGO was a mess on 360 and didn’t work at launch which basically fucked it from the get go.

Valve aren’t ready to support consoles which is fine in my opinion. CS with a controller would be a painful experience these days I’m sure.

Fools idol

Banned
I have a combined total of 35,000 hours of playtime on steam accross CS 1.6, CsGo and all the various iterations.

To this day it remains the best shooter and multiplayer game in my opinion. It's just a timeless, high skill ceiling masterpiece. Match making gave it that extra addictive push..

will be playing this with a smile

VN1X

Banned
Last edited:

Gudji

It's the same game though. It's literally the same game with better smoke effects. Like 1:1 the same game.

Why are you excited? about what? you already played it 20 years ago.
The community doesn't want a different game, it wants improvements and that's what valve is delivering... better netcode, QoL improvements, better performing engine, revamped visuals, etc while adding some smaller new stuff like the smokes.

VN1X

Banned

Valve NOT lazy confirmed.

EDIT: Not sure why the clip is not loading. Anyway it's one of the playtesters talking about how there were sound issues when they tested it at Valve's HQ. After a 10 hour play session the testers and crew all go out for dinner while the devs kept on working to fix the audio issues and deliver a improved build ready for the next day. Gud boi Valve.

Last edited:

Boneless

The community doesn't want a different game, it wants improvements and that's what valve is delivering... better netcode, QoL improvements, better performing engine, revamped visuals, etc while adding some smaller new stuff like the smokes.

This is it. Personally I would not mind more new stuff, but that's because I am old and have played this since 1.1. But the game in immensely popular and the #1 on steam most played by a mile.

VN1X

Banned
Perhaps even most exciting is the fact that content creators can finally go wild now. No longer being restricted by not only ancient technology, held together by duct tape and string, but also the very poor Source SDK (Hammer) itself, especially considering today's standards.

I doubt Source 2 comes even close to all of the contemporary features seen in engines such as Unreal or Unity but it will be hugely beneficial for map & skin makers. I imagine Surf maps will look even crazier then they already are hah.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Perhaps even most exciting is the fact that content creators can finally go wild now. No longer being restricted by not only ancient technology, held together by duct tape and string, but also the very poor Source SDK (Hammer) itself, especially considering today's standards.

I doubt Source 2 comes even close to all of the contemporary features seen in engines such as Unreal or Unity but it will be hugely beneficial for map & skin makers. I imagine Surf maps will look even crazier then they already are hah.
They're not restricted by any of that but by player expectations, this basically has to play near 1:1 to the current game, hence the close recreation of the maps described. Titanfall 2 is a Source 1 game and does shit Valve haven't exactly because they didn't have those player expectations to meet.

Last edited:

SomeGit

Valve aren’t ready to support consoles which is fine in my opinion. CS with a controller would be a painful experience these days I’m sure.

After seeing the mess that is CoD MW 2 with its broken rotational auto-aim on controllers, I hope doesn’t even think about having a console version, that way they won’t even consider trying to “level the playing field”.

Last edited:

Holammer

Team fortress 3?
I would prefer our regular iconic TF2 sausage fest ported to Source 2.
A TF3 would end up as one of those monkey paw wishes. Where the developers are more concerned with representation and diversity. The final product would be another Overwatch.

monkeys-paw-paw.gif

So does anyone know if this is coming to console like CS:GO did two gens ago?

It pissed me off that they never ported it over to PS4 because I played a decent amount of it.
I wouldn't hold my breath. If Valve could strike a deal with MS or Sony to allow Steam Market integration? Yes.
It's a lost opportunity to not have evergreen games like CSGO or LOL on console.

VN1X

Banned
They're not restricted by any of that but by player expectations, this basically has to play near 1:1 to the current game, hence the close recreation of the maps described. Titanfall 2 is a Source 1 game and does shit Valve haven't exactly because they didn't have those player expectations to meet.
Respectfully, you don't know what you're talking about.

Yes, theoretically, map makers, modders, etc can go as crazy as they want but ultimately it needs to work in the current confines and framework of the current engine. For example there was a community map recently (I've forgotten the name, also because I'm pretty sure they changed the name itself as well) that had to be heavily adjusted by Valve later because it was simply too detailed and caused a lot of performance issues. Not just on people with older hardware either but newer rigs as well. One of the factors that's at play here is that CS:GO's version of Source is not only light years behind their other projects (such as DOTA2, HLX, Neon Prime, etc) in terms of basic features and what not but is also still heavily CPU bound. Single-threaded I might add so it doesn't even use all cores of your respective CPU.

There's plenty of other problems present as well that restrict or otherwise make an easy job much harder than it needs to be because Hammer is such a shit show. Hell, there's even community projects underway that were aiming to add Source 2 features back into Source 1 JUST for CS:GO. It's a patch job of a spaghetti code and this new update will alleviate a ton of issues for content creators.

Last edited:
Top Bottom