• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CPU Wii U just as powerful as PS3, X360, GPU 1,5 times stronger

Bear

Which side is which? Left PS3 right WiiU?

Yes, you can see the the button prompts (X/O and A/B) at the lower right corner of the screen. [EDIT: looks like you picked up on that already]

What's wrong with those PS3 screens? They're really blurry, much more than any of the previous games, so I don't think it would be fair to compare the two. The right screens look much better by default, just because they're much clearer.

With such a little HW upgrade, I think that both exclusive/multi PS360 games could still have the advantage since devs will be more familiar, the PS2 saw incredible stuff at the end of her lifecycle.

They are anything but direct captures. The Wii-U side maybe, but the PS3 comes off as looking hideous while it's supposed to be the other way around.

I mean, you can't even see the floor textures on the PS3 side. Rubbish comparison.
This is the best comparison I could find with the same scenes, if you have better comparison material, let the people see it.

It's not intended to let the PS3-version look like crap, look at the videos for better a comparison.

JB1981

Haha, I think Ubisoft actually has v-sync turned on in the Wii U version, I didn't spot any tearing at all in the video. Detail-wise, I don't see how the Wii U version is less detailed, I guess it is missing AA.

i didn't spot it either which is great. i didn't spot much in the ps3 demos either (though this could be because a lot of the videos weren't the greatest quality).

I'm going to hazard a guess and say Nintendo are going for the "we may lack graphical prowess but we're cheaper to develop for than the back-breaking PS4 and Xbox 720".

What are people's graphical expectations for the next generation? It seems there is an exorbitant amount of effort needed to produce the visuals that people expect, which means extra costs and less profit for the developers unless they start charging upwards of £70 for each game (I just pulled that figure out of my ass).

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
So like ca. 2006 era technology (GPU-wise)?
It could be 2012 tech for all you know, just not particularly powerful, but with the same (ie DX11 based) featureset. It would have been nice if the journalist actually knew about these things and asked accordingly as 1.5 times more powerful doesn't tell much, the speaker could place different priority to different things. Ie, it could be similar clock speeds but newer featureset, or the same featureset in higher clock speeds and more video ram, etc. Though I doubt it would be of that modern design in PC terms.

Well it needs to output to 1.5x the screens. Once you factor that in, the "on par" description that was floating around seems apt, but Wii U benefits from the second screen (in some games more than others, obviously).

EDarkness

Funny that they would say that because Unisoft told me the Wii U is much more powerful and it always has to (I guess they never turn the tablet screen off) run two screens. I've seen the Wii U version running and it's beautiful. However, they also told me that the PS3 was the lead platform since it was the hardest piece of hardware to work with.

Hoo-doo

Banned
This is the best comparison I could find with the same scenes, if you have better comparison material, let the people see it.

It's not intended to let the PS3-version look like crap, look at the videos for better for better a comparison.

I'm just going off what multiple people have said, including in the OP's article. These are people who have actually seen the game running side by side.

The Wii-U version is apparently currently lacking in detail compared to the other versions. Putting two compressed capture images next to eachother means very little.

There simply isn't a proper comparison to be made yet until both games are released.

madmackem

After all the pre e3 posts of its weaker than a ps3 etc etc the fact it has a big bump in ram if the reports are true and a bump on the gpu than im happy as i feared the worst.

guit3457

Am I the only one who believe that even with those specs the system will be as successful as the Wii?

I mean, If the 720 and the PS4 are going to cost 400-500$ I think Nintendo will be fine.

Sean

Banned
I was hoping the Wii U could at least run PS3/360 quality graphics at 1080p/60 FPS. But it doesn't even look like that will happen.

Erethian

Funny that they would say that because Unisoft told me the Wii U is much more powerful and it always has to (I guess they never turn the tablet screen off) run two screens. I've seen the Wii U version running and it's beautiful. However, they also told me that the PS3 was the lead platform since it was the hardest piece of hardware to work with.

Battle of the Ubisoft representatives.

madmackem

Am I the only one who believe that even with those specs the system will be as successful as the Wii?

I mean, If the 720 and the PS4 are going to cost 400-500$ I think Nintendo will be fine.

They will sell, there is enough there in name and core base alone to sell decently. Will they attract new buyers or some of the dude bro gaming crowd well thats to be seen.

Thoraxes

I'm glad the article from the OP finally gave 100% confirmed accurate concrete numbers so we can finally make 100% accurate comparisons with 0% margin of any error ever.

Nintendo beat the shit out of Sony and MS with a recycle GC, even if PS4 and NeXtboX blows WiiU away they will be leading the race since those 2 are taking their time to release...

Glass Rebel

What's with the blue tint on the right screens? It doesn't look natural.

It's a filter applied to make the Wii U version look inferior. Nintendo is just fucking with you to drop the bomb right before the release of the system. Remember the Pikmin plushie Miyamoto took out of his pocket after the trailer? That was rendered on a Wii U.

filopilo

The central processing unit (CPU) in the Wii U is just as powerful as the one found in the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
As powerfull as ps3 cpu or 360'cpu ? there is allready about 1,5 x factor here

but the graphics processing unit (GPU) is one and a half times as strong.

ps3 RSX or 360's gpu ? about the same 1,5 x factore here again.

Doesn't mean much.
But 1,5 x is about wha'ts needed to render the same thing (than ps360) on the main screen + streaming (0.5) extra ressources to the tablet.

gogogow

You're basing this off the comparison shots posted? Come on, son.

The PS3 footage is crap, yes, but the Wii U version looks detailed and textures looks crisp. Unless you expect the PS3 version will have even better textures (than the Wii U version). I think they are 1:1 texture-wise, with the Wii U version not having AA atm and there's some framerate problems, but with v-sync on.

madmackem

As powerfull as ps3 cpu or 360'cpu ? there is allready about 1,5 x factor here

ps3 RSX or 360's gpu ? about the same 1,5 x factore here again.

Doesn't mean much.
But 1,5 x is about wha'ts needed to render the same thing (than ps360) on the main screen + streaming (0.5) extra ressources to the tablet.

How do you know that?.

Bear

The Wii U version looks like it has better textures, and is sharper overall.

While this almost definitely because of the quality of the screenshots, those are areas that Wii U games should consistently look better based on specs. Texture size, texture quality and IQ in general should improve dramatically once we start seeing games optimized for the console, especially since these are areas where 360/PS3 games run into bottlenecks.

What a fucking joke considering it's a 2012 system. :/

But I won't judge the whole system on it's specs alone, even though as of now, it's shown very little to impress me (Zombi U, P-100, Pikmin 3), hardly to justify a purchase.

Good luck to Nintendo. I hope it's a success and brings them fortune.

To me, Nintendo just pointed to achieve the perfect 720p machine, they could learn from the bottlenecks and the faulty HW of the competitors and aimed at a compelling console that would not suffer the issues we saw this gen.

Hoo-doo

Banned
You should watch the videos then

Two different sources, two different types of compression, bandwidth is involved. The PS3 version simply doesn't look like that.
I'd say the people who have seen both versions running in person have a slightly clearer view than we do judging the game off streaming internet video. Or do you think they are simply out to hate on Nintendo for no reason?

I don't believe this information. From what I've seen of the Wii U demonstration, I don't think it is as powerful as the X360 and PS3.

Luigiv

looks practically identical. Wii U version looks a little sharper and more contrasty but that since they're offscreen shots of unknown original resolution the cause of that could be anything.

wsippel

Banned
Audiokinetic reached Xenon levels of performance on Wii U a few months ago after basic optimization, and is still working on further optimizing the code. And there's also room for improvement on the toolchain side (switch from MULTI5 to MULTI6 for example). It's really hard to make any definitive statements at this point.

Xdrive05

Ok, so far it's looking like this at a high level.

1 X PS360 CPU w/ maybe a better cache tech
1.5 X PS360 CPU w/ maybe a better feature set
3 X RAM w/ maybe a large chunk (400mb-ish) being OS reserved

Anything less than noticeably-better-than-PS360 results should be chalked up to 1st gen efforts at this point. Any what we see in the next couple years should be clearly bettter than the average modern PS360 title.

That is, of course, assuming devs bother with the thing.

Top Bottom