• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crash Bandicoot Community

Finalow

damn crash bash, nostalgia incoming. played it for so many hours (with and without friends) and I remember it to be hard as hell to 100%.

Gangxxter

damn crash bash, nostalgia incoming. played it for so many hours (with and without friends) and I remember it to be hard as hell to 100%.
Yeah and what's even more frustrating is, that it actually goes up to 200 % in single player respectively 201 % in multi player with a good and an evil character :(

Gangxxter

ibmZZLztrtY9dg.jpg

The stuff that nightmares are made of.

Dereck

N-Tranced is really good, and I enjoyed Crash Nitro Kart GBA version as much as Mario Kart: Super Circuit. I used to play this game and I loved it.
This was back when Vicarious Visions and Traveler's Tales were "more than decent" replacements for ND.

Danlord

I have a question to pose to someone with some legal knowledge that could shed light on something or at least any information that could pertain to this

I have a theory that you could debunk so easily and I'm open to discussion either way but;

I was thinking, that since Vivendi own the IP but owned Activision/Blizzard, there could've been some conflict of interest stopping Sony purchasing the IP from Vivendi due to competitive laws or something in that respect. Now that Activision/Blizzard have bought themselves from Vivendi, could Sony now approach Vivendi for purchasing the Crash Bandicoot IP?

With Sony being on track with the PlayStation 4, from announcement with the nostalgic PlayStation Meeting in Febuary to the recent advertisements reinforcing that nostalgia, it would be one of the biggest turn of events Sony could do in the recent history of PlayStation.

Five

Banned
If you're saying WOC is bad I'd like to hear why.

I think people will disagree over whether WoC was much good based on a few criteria. The graphics are better on a technical standing, but the art style in general is more muted: the color palette is less refined, and lots of things were made round just because. It's like they thought "Hey, we can have more polys now, so soften the edges on everything." For comparison, the Jak games and Twinsanity both did a good job of knowing when to soften things and when to leave them sharp. But art style is largely subjective, so some people will like what's in WoC and others won't.

As far as gameplay, most of the innovations seem to stem from the erroneous idea that the vehicle sections were the best part of Warped. The rolling ball levels, for example, for which they made four levels and a boss, were either hated or loved, but ultimately didn't feel like something that belonged in a Crash game. However, WoC fixed something that Warped glossed over to some degree. In Cortex Strikes Back, all of the vehicle levels have you start out with normal Crash control before you jump onto the jet board, polar or jet pack. This helps the levels feel more like they belong in a Crash game. WoC does similar with a good number of its vehicle levels, where you get to play as normal Crash for half of them. So WoC has too many vehicles, but largely better done than in Warped, and whether you like that or not is up to opinion.

There were some other really gimmicky inclusions in the game, too. Tiptoeing around was useful in one, maybe two places. Going invisible was useful in two, maybe three small runs. And then there were a few levels that had major boss characters serve as minor minions, diminishing their character; Traveler's Tales put the elementals as all of the bosses, so someone like Tiny Tiger was included as a regular enemy with really stupid AI.

That isn't to say nothing was objectively better. Coco got a worthy upgrade, and hers were some of the best levels in the games. She had a different and interesting play style, and her chase sequences were well-implemented and a lot of fun.

Dereck

I think people will disagree over whether WoC was much good based on a few criteria. The graphics are better on a technical standing, but the art style in general is more muted: the color palette is less refined, and lots of things were made round just because. It's like they thought "Hey, we can have more polys now, so soften the edges on everything." For comparison, the Jak games and Twinsanity both did a good job of knowing when to soften things and when to leave them sharp. But art style is largely subjective, so some people will like what's in WoC and others won't.

As far as gameplay, most of the innovations seem to stem from the erroneous idea that the vehicle sections were the best part of Warped. The rolling ball levels, for example, for which they made four levels and a boss, were either hated or loved, but ultimately didn't feel like something that belonged in a Crash game. However, WoC fixed something that Warped glossed over to some degree. In Cortex Strikes Back, all of the vehicle levels have you start out with normal Crash control before you jump onto the jet board, polar or jet pack. This helps the levels feel more like they belong in a Crash game. WoC does similar with a good number of its vehicle levels, where you get to play as normal Crash for half of them. So WoC has too many vehicles, but largely better done than in Warped, and whether you like that or not is up to opinion.

There were some other really gimmicky inclusions in the game, too. Tiptoeing around was useful in one, maybe two places. Going invisible was useful in two, maybe three small runs. And then there were a few levels that had major boss characters serve as minor minions, diminishing their character; Traveler's Tales put the elementals as all of the bosses, so someone like Tiny Tiger was included as a regular enemy with really stupid AI.

That isn't to say nothing was objectively better. Coco got a worthy upgrade, and hers were some of the best levels in the games. She had a different and interesting play style, and her chase sequences were well-implemented and a lot of fun.
The guy said, "best non-ND" crash games, out of all of them, those are the four best.

If he asked, "what are the best crash games", WOC would not be one of them.

TheOGB

Banned
That sounds about right abe_bly. I think for me, the worst thing about WoC is that, at the end of the day, it's a decent emulation of the originals and not much else. Most of the original stuff coming from it didn't really leave much of an impact, and didn't seem to last at all (except for Crunch, of course).

And if we were going for "Top 4 Non-ND Crash Games" I'd definitely put Tag Team Racing in over WoC.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Reminds me a bit of this Crash McDonalds ad from Pakistan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyEfKb27nYI
I adore Pakistani music and poetry (Coke Studio FTW!) but that advert is an abomination. However it must mean that more Pakistanis are aware of Crash Bandicoot than Turks (my ethnicity) which I find odd.

I would agree with this post, except for maybe Wrath of Cortex. I was suprised by how much I enjoyed both of those GBA Crash's back in the day, especially N-Tranced.
I've only ever played a bit of the GBA games emulated on my PSP and I was pleasantly surprised. They are more faithful to the ND games than Wrath of Cortex was. If only the teams that developed those were tasked with Wrath of Cortex. Maybe things would've turned out slightly differently. (assuming they weren't the same people).

However now that I think about it perhaps the faithfulness of the GBA games was a reaction to how badly Wrath of Cortex turned out?

rjc571

Banned
I also haven't played WOC since it came out so my memory is a bit warped and I am just projecting.

Nah, Wrath of Cortex was really solid. Design wise it's a far cry better than the GBA games. The pseudo-3D sections in the GBA were extremely clunky, and the games suffered due to the GBA's low resolution. The overall level design in Wrath of Cortex was much more ambitious than the GBA games and the platforming challenges made it worthy of the Crash Bandicoot name, while the GBA games felt like ordinary platformers with a Crash Bandicoot skin.

-vert-crash-bandicoot-the-wrath-of-cortex-4567.jpg

ewwwwwww

Aesthetically, WoC is an unappealing mess. Like abe_bly described, the strange rounded geometry and murky color palette really zapped the cartoony vibrancy the series was known for. Pile that on to the uninspiring locals and game progression made for a depressing game to wade through. The load times on the PS2 version really hampered the flow too.

It controlled well at least, and the level design was competent, but again, uninspired. I was much more fascinated by the open-world prototype that was initially being developed. It's unfortunate that was scrapped. Luckily TT gave it one more shot with Twinsanity, creating one of the best post ND Crash games ever, IMO. It's a bit unfortunate they seemed to rush the final world a bit on that one though.

crash-twinsanity-50367.4627862.jpg

Ah, much better.

ewwwwwww

Aesthetically, WoC is an unappealing mess. Like abe_bly described, the strange rounded geometry and murky color palette really zapped the cartoony vibrancy the series was known for. Pile that on to the uninspiring locals and game progression made for a depressing game to wade through. The load times on the PS2 version really hampered the flow too.

It controlled well at least, and the level design was competent, but again, uninspired. I was much more fascinated by the open-world prototype that was initially being developed. It's unfortunate that was scrapped. Luckily TT gave it one more shot with Twinsanity, creating one of the best post ND Crash games ever, IMO. It's a bit unfortunate they seemed to rush the final world a bit on that one though.

Ah, much better.
Literally how I felt word for word when I played WoC and Twinsanity back to back in the mid 2000's. Twinsanity has its share of problems (like its glitches or only being one third of the original planned game), but WoC is as generic and soulless a sequel as you can get this side of Sonic 4.

Yawnier

Banned

ewwwwwww

Ah, much better.

Wrath of Cortex was one of my first PS2 games along with Jak and Daxter, so I personally will always remember it for that. Graphically for it's time it looked decent, however I also feel like WoC is one of those games along with the Sonic Adventures from roughly the same era that just haven't aged that well IMO and are a bit rough to go back to now. I don't remember the platforming in general feeling as tight compared to the ND Crash's either. Some of the gimmick stages were alright though I guess.

Twinsanity on the other side, still looks nice to look at and the gameplay was solid too. I do have to track down another copy of it sometime though since I lost mine years ago.

Drencrom

So I just tested Crash: Mind over Mutant (i got it for free with some other games some time ago) and by some reason i started hitting the two NPCs in the beginning of game because of the different dialog they said. One of the dialog sentences i got from Coco was "Lousy goyim!"

goy·im (goim) or goys Offensive
Used as a disparaging term for one who is not a Jew.

Eh, what?

RaikuHebi

Banned
I feel for you. Not played it myself but I've heard horrible things of just finishing that level, let alone getting the gem.
It is the hardest level in the game, though maybe you're getting mixed up with Stormy Ascent which is a hidden level that can only be accessed through cheat devices? That is a truly crazy level.

Those are Lab Assistants, or more appropriate: Lab Ass :p
After I posted I thought it sounded a bit weird myself haha.

Anyway would you guys believe I made the exact same mistake AGAIN. Damn it. Need to make sure I get there with a mask. (easy way out lol).

I'm playing Mind Over Mutant on my PSP at the moment, and I have to say it's about a trillion times better than Crash of the Titans, which is a truly tedious game. MOM is much more of a platformer, and has genuinely funny writing.

I'm playing Mind Over Mutant on my PSP at the moment, and I have to say it's about a trillion times better than Crash of the Titans, which is a truly tedious game. MOM is much more of a platformer, and has genuinely funny writing.

Yeah, if it's the same as the PS2 version then it's pretty fun. I got a bit bored of the backtracking, but I did really enjoy it. I preferred how Titans did some things, bit MoM was the better game for me too.

Gangxxter

So I was watching this Super Mario 3D World trailer and those colored platforms seen here strongly remind me of those colored holo-platforms in the "Ant Agony" level of Crash Twinsanity.

Do you think Nintendo got inspired by Twinsanity? Or is this gameplay mechanic much older and also appeared in past Mario games? (I've never played any Mario games)

TheOGB

Banned
Those red/blue "switches when you jump" platforms were in Super Mario 3D Land on the 3DS, and I'm pretty sure 3D Land got that from Galaxy (and even that might've been from a FLUDD-less level in Sunshine, but I could be wrong). The general concept of those kinds of platforms have been around since Mega Man on NES, though.

But uh... holy crap dude, not saying you have to, but you should totally play a Mario game. At least one. Any one... well, maybe not any one.

Hatten

Crash peaked on its console of origin, much like Sonic peaked on the Genesis

The three first games were excellent, the others? bland and generic

Top Bottom