• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crash Bandicoot Community

Courtesy of RaikuHeby (i think)
TLwyoHG.gif

thanks. i can see it now. i was just seeing knack for some reason. :D

AznSniper

Well, famousmortimer did say that old IPs would be coming back from Sony. Maybe Sony can buy the IP from Activision and work with an indie studio to revive the IP.

you know what made me mad today? I was looking for a crash avatar on PSN and the only one available is that hideous crash design made by god knows what company where he has tribal tattoos and looks like a shithead

I don't know if you guys have seen this, or anything and I don't know if this is banned or not but, eskimopress.com just released this bit of information:

"We were the first site to confirm that Uncharted 4 was in development for the PlayStation 4 and that it would be revealed this year. The source that leaked this information to us had a lot to say about the upcoming Crash Bandicoot reboot".

Crash Bandicoot has a very complicated history. The first four games were developed by Naughty Dog and released exclusively on the PlayStation. Later, the series became a multi-platform title after a falling-out between Sony Computer Entertainment and Universal Studios. The series was handed over to another developer and become a multi-platform title. Activision currently hold the listened for the Crash Bandicoot series.

This site seems kind of shady. What exactly did they post about Uncharted that turned out to be true?

Crash Bandicoot is definitely on its way to the PlayStation 4. The PS4 is basically the second iteration of the PS2 and they are going to be bringing back some of the biggest games from that era. I did not get to see any game-play, but it is definitely in production. I spoke briefly to a friend whom I visited ND with about this the other day; it is possibly that ND is actually working with SMS on this game. I cannot confirm this, but it seems very plausible. There is a chance of a small teaser this year, or at least an announcement, but I wouldn’t count on it.

Yesterday, 16th of November, our source confirmed that a next-gen reboot of Crash Bandicoot is, indeed, in production and is definitely on its way to the PlayStation 4. One of the biggest, and well kept, secrets in the industry could be that Sony has recently acquired the Bandicoot license of Activision and Naughty Dog and Santa Monica Studios are working together on the next-gen reboot of the series.

EDIT: N.Domixis beat me to it.

This site seems kind of shady. What exactly did they post about Uncharted that turned out to be true?

It's not exactly a huge shocker that the one game that made Sony money last gen was getting another sequel

TheOGB

Banned
you know what made me mad today? I was looking for a crash avatar on PSN and the only one available is that hideous crash design made by god knows what company where he has tribal tattoos and looks like a shithead
It's super shitty because those games weren't even on PS3
and don't be hatin on Radical

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I think it's worth pointing out to everyone that Activision owns Crash Bandicoot now right?

So any Crash game means that Sony would have to work with Activision to get this figured out.

So unless Activision is loaning out the Crash IP, the idea of Naught Dog and Santa Monica Studios working on a Crash game seems pretty ludicrious?

RaikuHebi

Banned
I think it's worth pointing out to everyone that Activision owns Crash Bandicoot now right?

So any Crash game means that Sony would have to work with Activision to get this figured out.

So unless Activision is loaning out the Crash IP, the idea of Naught Dog and Santa Monica Studios working on a Crash game seems pretty ludicrious?
Everyone knows that. We obviously think Sony may have gotten the IP back.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Everyone knows that. We obviously think Sony may have gotten the IP back.

That sounds like a craaaaaazy thing to expect, but I'd like to be proven wrong.

I think if they were going to put someone on Crash, they would have Mark Cerny at the head because they blew him up as "That guy what made Crash is still making the PS4 great!" but as far as I know, he's been leading on Knack right? It seems like it might be a weird jump for him from Knack to Crash.

But whatever, if we're all going to be hopeful optimists, then I'd be totally stoked for a new Crash in the style of the early Crash games (2 and 3).

That style of challenging yet REALLY 3D platforming is missing in the current platformer landscape. Also I wanna run towards the screen and ride hogs away from it.

I'd hope they'd stay away from a realistic art style and go for something with more character.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Our unyielding hope stems from the Launch trailer. All games referenced are Sony Exclusives except Crash (and FF + SF). Plus the artwork they used is from post-Sony Crash.

That sounds like a craaaaaazy thing to expect, but I'd like to be proven wrong.

I think if they were going to put someone on Crash, they would have Mark Cerny at the head because they blew him up as "That guy what made Crash is still making the PS4 great!" but as far as I know, he's been leading on Knack right? It seems like it might be a weird jump for him from Knack to Crash.

But whatever, if we're all going to be hopeful optimists, then I'd be totally stoked for a new Crash in the style of the early Crash games (2 and 3).

That style of challenging yet REALLY 3D platforming is missing in the current platformer landscape. Also I wanna run towards the screen and ride hogs away from it.

I'd hope they'd stay away from a realistic art style and go for something with more character.

i agree. the open world crash wasnt too bad, but i'd much prefer the old style.. VERY VERY SIMPLE, but VERY VERY DIFFICULT. it was perfect, and it had such charm.
just imagine what the levels could like in HD on PS4... <3

Gangxxter

i agree. the open world crash wasnt too bad, but i'd much prefer the old style.. VERY VERY SIMPLE, but VERY VERY DIFFICULT. it was perfect, and it had such charm.
Isn't this what Knack exactly is? Very simple to learn but very difficult to master.

I don't trust this article, something is very fishy about it. Just look at the last sentence: "If Naughty Dog and Santa Monica Studios are, in fact, working on the next Crash game we can safely assume that it will be a PlayStation exclusive and very good." Sounds more like the work of a fanboy than a serious journalist.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Mix of both would be fine by me, but primarily classic gameplay for sure, perhaps with more branching and secret paths than the older games.

I want to basically explore the Wumpa Islands from the first game seamlessly. That would be a dream come true. With like 100s of Crystals, Gems and Relics, and every boss from the Naughty Dog games (in addition to new ones). With perhaps multiple battles with bosses and add relics to bosses.

Then when the game ends, you get the mind blowing revelation that it continues in space. (like FFVII's World Map mindblow and Pokemon GSC's Kanto mindblow).

I made a Crash avatar if anyone wants it!
Z5tiwHu.png

I'll be making some others whenever I've got a chance and I'll post them here whenever I finish.

Edit: Cortex is done now too.
fAOAEcF.png

Motwera

Banned
I made a Crash avatar if anyone wants it!
Z5tiwHu.png

I'll be making some others whenever I've got a chance and I'll post them here whenever I finish.

Edit: Cortex is done now too.
fAOAEcF.png
Nice!

I should try to notify the OP that I contacted to update the OP with a couple of stuff, including these avatars :)

I said this already in a thread that was quickly locked, but if Sony really did buy back the rights to Crash then the chances of a PASBR 2 have greatly increased. He was easily the most requested character in the build-up to the first game and probably the closest thing Sony has ever had to a mascot. Might seem a bit daft to some, but the way I see it, he's a big enough deal on his own to actually justify a full-fledged sequel.

Yawnier

Banned
The main reason why I don't buy the rumor that Sony bought the Crash Bandicoot IP and it may sound petty is because there has been zip (zero) said or indicated by any insiders here on GAF or on any other websites about such a thing occurring. It's pretty much just that one Nordic website reporting on it.

They say that when there is smoke, there is fire and so far there isn't really any smoke.

RaikuHebi

Banned
The main reason why I don't buy the rumor that Sony bought the Crash Bandicoot IP and it may sound petty is because there has been zip (zero) said or indicated by any insiders here on GAF or on any other websites about such a thing occurring. It's pretty much just that one Nordic website reporting on it.

They say that when there is smoke, there is fire and so far there isn't really any smoke.
I've seen others say this and one theory I have is that this would be such a big deal that they'd take extra precautions to keep it a secret.

Zalman

I said this already in a thread that was quickly locked, but if Sony really did buy back the rights to Crash then the chances of a PASBR 2 have greatly increased. He was easily the most requested character in the build-up to the first game and probably the closest thing Sony has ever had to a mascot. Might seem a bit daft to some, but the way I see it, he's a big enough deal on his own to actually justify a full-fledged sequel.
I agree, but the question is, will Crash return to Sony? I am very positive they contacted Activision and tried to figure something out when developing PSASBR, but clearly that didn't lead to anything. So you got to ask yourself, why not? Why WOULDN'T Activision accept cash for free marketing of their IP? It's not like they're doing anything with Crash anyway. I'm actually very surprised they haven't made him a Skylander yet. So what gives?

I'd say it's a win for both of the companies, but the fact that it hasn't happened yet is really puzzling.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

If they're going to do that then they might as well change the title to Crash & All Stars Spin and Punch Fighting. Making the gameplay look somewhat unique would also help.

RaikuHebi

Banned
The Francis guy said to Yoshida that "this launch was perfect" and Yoshida replied "but it's not perfect, you wanted MP3 and DLNA support". Makes me hope that if we Tweet enough they may actually consider it, if not getting the IP back fully then at least getting Activision to get something going.

Man it's so cool to see enemies and bosses that could've been. Hopefully we'll see them one day, if not officially then at least a fan mod.

Also this cool comment from the Lizard comments:
"I think this is the one lizard that keeps jumping around in two of the levels, that is also the same enemy that appears as a cyborg in Crash 2. I love how Crash 2 show what happened to the island and it's inhabitants one year after the events of the first game."

Never thought of it that way but it's actually true to a small extent. The turtle enemy getting spikes and a cyborn half-face is another good example.

Tizoc

From watching Super Mario 3D World, and recalling my fun time of playing 3D Land.
A Crash 1 remake in their similar style would work GREAT on the Vita.

Each stage would take at most 3-5 minutes to complete, balance out a bunch of stuff and make the stages similar to 3DW and 3DL instead of a straight line and the mechanics of Crash games can work in such a setting.

N.Domixis

Banned
I dont know if any one posted this, but if you go here and go to the place where the crash silhouette, its one of the 50 easter eggs in the video.

I actually never played anything past Wrath of Cortex, haha. But I loved them. Aside from game play, I remember the music being awesome and a joy to hear every time...even after dying :p

Orbis

Ordered Twinsanity from eBay the other day seeing as people seem to say some positive things about it. In terms of platforming non-ND Crash games I've only played Wrath of Cortex and the GBA games so I'm curious to see how this plays given that the style seems different.

Top Bottom