• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crash Bandicoot N Sane Trilogy - Review Thread

ghibli99

About what I was expecting... I don't have the fond connection to these games that some do, but I'm willing to give it a chance and support quality updates like this. Ordered and will be picking it up from Best Buy tonight. :)

Gestault

If Crash 3 is still as fun as it used to be, this is worth a buy for me (eventually). I'm both surprised and..not really surprised seeing/reading some of the more negative reactions.

bosh

So if I love Crash originally I will still love it and the remake developers didn't mess anything up.

Thats all I needed to see here :)

zenspider

Games like this should be reviewed in the merits of the remake, not what people think of them "in today's modern climate". Most reviewers don't games today's games right.

Would I rather play it on PS4 or PS1? That's all I need to know.

Shredderi

Just got my copy. I don't much care about the scores because I loved the first three games and it seems like a super faithful remake so I'm quaranteed to love this remake as well.

Hindl

Lower scores than I was expecting, but I guess having 3 complete remakes of classic games for 40 dollars just isn't as alluring to some. I'm having a hard time seeing a 6, but to each their own I suppose.
Only Gamespot gave it a 6, and this has roughly the same Metacritic score as DKC: TF. Seems positive to me
Yes easy - one on a system that has, what is it, 60 million sold compared to another which is a tiny fraction of that...
The Crash trilogy combined barely outsold Super Mario 64, and the Playstation had 3 times as many users as the N64. And that's when the games were new, not a remaster

Gator86

That Gamespot review really is lazy trash. It's a couple paragraphs long and seems like it was written in minutes once Peter remembered he had to crank one out. Like, why bother at all, aside from the obvious business-related concerns, if that's the work you're going to do. In both quality and content, it's pretty bad.

I don't care about the score because it's one out of many for a fucking decade old videogame series, but still, it's a bad look. Just admit you forgot to do your homework.

Solid reviews, good to see it they did a good job overall. As a fan of the originala I'm looking forward to some old school platforming again.

Massicot

I have no strong issue with the Gamespot reviewer playing only half of each game. By that point the game mechanics and design would be pretty well established. Nor with the general argument that he found it frustrating in certain ways wrt difficulty and scored it lower. The review itself does seem a bit thin and pencil whipped, independent of those things though.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Can't speak for other sites/outlets, but we have a rule that states not to discuss pricing in reviews. Prices fluctuate constantly, a game's final build/quality - patches aside - doesn't.

Thats just bad policy then. Most consumers want to know if its a good value proposition.

You know what many reviewers do? They comment on if the game is worth the asking price at launch. Have a little blurb: buy now, buy when price drops, dont buy.

That's great you like it. I like Crash 1 because of the difficulty as well (I dont think it has anything else over 2 or 3 frankly) but it will never not be bullshit design to me. Whenever I read Crash 1 is fair I just cringe. Naw, not really. There is a reason they changed aspects of Crash 1 for this remake.

Anyway, enough of me complaining about it :p

Yea, I agree.. I should've elaborated on "languish". It's hard as hell but I like that and it would be hard for me to go to 1 after finishing 2 or 3. So I'll just play em in order.

Knack 1 was some bs too..

Cizard

Thats just bad policy then. Most consumers want to know if its a good value proposition.

You know what many reviewers do? They comment on if the game is worth the asking price at launch. Have a little blurb: buy now, buy when price drops, dont buy.

I don't think it's that bad of a policy to leave the value proposititon to the reader. For example if a 60$ game is 10 hours then you can mention this in the review. This might be worth 60$ to some, might not be to others. Then half a year later if the game is 30$ the review is still relevant as well.

A bad game is a bad game, whether it's 10$ or 60$.

Can't speak for other sites/outlets, but we have a rule that states not to discuss pricing in reviews. Prices fluctuate constantly, a game's final build/quality - patches aside - doesn't.

The whole point of this gaming culture including publishers sending reviewers early review copies is to entice people to buy the game near launch. Not including price in the equation doesn't recognize the reality of how game releases work. Why even put out a review at launch then?

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
The whole point of this gaming culture including publishers sending reviewers early review copies is to entice people to buy the game near launch. Not including price in the equation doesn't recognize the reality of how game releases work. Why even put out a review at launch then?

If i'm reading a glowing review of a game at launch that i've been either considering getting, or definitely getting, i don't care if it's $60 or $40, i'm getting it.

Same thing with a really bad review....even if the game is $10 i won't touch it.

Don't see the relevance at all of including game prices in the reviews.

Renna Hazel

Reviewers get everything for free so value proposition doesn't factor into their mentality as much as it does for consumers who actually have to pay for stuff.

I guess that makes sense, but I see reviews complain about price all the time, usually when it's too high.

81 is pretty damn strong for 20 year old games.

Perhaps. Considering it's 3 games I was expecting something closer to the 90 mark so I was definitely surprised to see some 6s and 7s in there. Oh well.

Only Gamespot gave it a 6, and this has roughly the same Metacritic score as DKC: TF. Seems positive to me

The Crash trilogy combined barely outsold Super Mario 64, and the Playstation had 3 times as many users as the N64. And that's when the games were new, not a remaster

The Crash trilogy combined sold way more than Mario 64. Also, DKC scored worse than I expected as well.

ced

I don't really remember playing the original crash, but after that part of playing it in Uncharted 4 there is zero interest in this for me lol

FaustusMD

Unconfirmed Member
So can this critical response put all the "Crash was never good" nonsense to bed?

Why would critical reviews be a definitive determining factor in any fan's perception? If you like it, like it on your own terms. I don't see why anyone needs to seek validation in their position while trying to reconcile it with whatever the Metacritic score is.

Tesser

The whole point of this gaming culture including publishers sending reviewers early review copies is to entice people to buy the game near launch.

Or dissuade/advise against should the final build not meet certain standards....right?

Not including price in the equation doesn't recognize the reality of how game releases work.

So free-to-play games are based in a separate "reality" as you call it?

If i'm reading a glowing review of a game at launch that i've been either considering getting, or definitely getting, i don't care if it's $60 or $40, i'm getting it.

Same thing with a really bad review....even if the game is $10 i won't touch it.

Don't see the relevance at all of including game prices in the reviews.

Because games in the middle of those extremes exist maybe?

dracula_x

it's up to 82

UyvWQxd.png

hawk2025

I mean, y'all want to have someone's opinion about a game be influenced by how instead they could have bought $40 of My Little Pony merchandise or pay for their health insurance, you do you.

I personally think incorporating price into a review in any way, positive or negative, to be a colossal waste of everyone's time.

Marcel

Price is a huge factor for everyday consumers and if you don't include a content-to-value judgment at the launch price in your review you are totally out of touch, period.

Balb

Price is a huge factor for consumers and if you don't include a content-to-value judgment in your review you are totally out of touch, period.

If you look at video games purely as packaged goods like a vacuum cleaner or a toaster, sure.

If you've seen footage of the game and it looked good to you - then buy it.
If you've seen footage of the game and it didn't look good to you - then don't.
If you can't decide - wait for a sale and repeat.

It's so simple.

I mean, y'all want to have someone's opinion about a game be influenced by how instead they could have bought $40 of My Little Pony merchandise or pay for their health insurance, you do you.

I personally think incorporating price into a review in any way, positive or negative, to be a colossal waste of everyone's time.

Price is a huge factor for everyday consumers and if you don't include a content-to-value judgment at the launch price in your review you are totally out of touch, period.

neogaf.gif

Or dissuade/advise against should the final build not meet certain standards....right?

That's the reviews job, that's not why we have a marketing blitz and they send out copies of games to reviewers though. Even if you never got a review copy its like, you have to connect the dots that a review is trying to tell you whether something is worth your time and you cant invest your time if you dont like ya know, buy it.

So free-to-play games are based in a separate "reality" as you call it?

A free to play game with no monetization? As far as reviews go sure. You dont have to spend anything to see it you like it. A game with monetizatoon options? Well yes the value preposition definitely matters here.

Any how difference of opinion is fine.

I think price is a fair thing to address, but it should never affect a game's score. Put it as an aside separate from the main contents of the review.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Because games in the middle of those extremes exist maybe?

Even still....if i'm reading a random game review, i just don't care about the price of the game. To me the assumption these days is that most new games are $60, and if we're lucky, $40.

All i care about is it's quality and it it's worth the time to play. Not to sound cliche, but my gaming time is limited these days, so time is more money to me than the game's actual cost seeing as i'm already prepared to spend $60 on a title if i end up getting it...if it turns out less than $60, icing on the cake.

Top Bottom