• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Creepy unsolved/paranormal/strange events thread

Nelo Ice

Banned
damnit i kno shouldnt be reading this stuff before i sleep but damnit i find this stuff way too interesting to resist reading :lol

KAOz

Short bus special
YES, I love threads like these. So much weird shit going on in the world, and I love it.

Now, not really unsolved or anything, but more just, strange is the whole deal with the "Hands Resist Him" painting. It's just such a fucking weird and un-nerving picture.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hands_Resist_Him

Shit, I'll have to stay up all night and look for stuff like this now. :D

Also, I think you can find a really interesting swedish documentary (subbed in english) about the Suicide Forest. Cool thing was that in the video, they even found bodies.

Edit: Found it! Enjoy "The Perfect Place: Aokigahara Juka" part 1 and 2. It's quite interesting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3W4IIrGtmM Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9gLTZY1ouc&feature=related Part 2

Yagharek

Tonay said:
I don't mean to be mean, but when I hear this story all I see is a girl with mental problems who didn't get the medical help she needed, and her family only increased her delusional state, and now she's run away for the last time. A tragic and completely shameful story.

Exactly what I was thinking.

canova said:
no, not too offensive, just unbearable.

Stop acting like you know all the shit, so yeah please stop.

You don't have to know "all the shit" to recognise bullshit stories. Sure they can be exciting and scary but they're still just made up stories so why even pretend that they are true without and shred of evidence?

MrHicks

Banned
sorry if posted already

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mothman

heres some eyewitness sketches
mothman-2.jpg

mothman.jpg

disregard that shitty adaption with richard gere

Waikis

Tonay said:
Yeah, mate, read up on something called 'mass hysteria'. It's really cool.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_hysteria (check out the related links and specific examples too - my favourite has always been Dancing Panic).

It's funny how when these things happen in backwards superstitious cultures, the first explanation for anything happening is a fucking stupid one. When something bad happens, it's not because that's just how things played out, there has to be a REASON for it.

It was someone's spell. An evil eye cast by that neighbour who doesn't like you. It was God's punishment for your sin of having a wank whilst thinking of Zac Efron. It's blatantly demonic possession. It's bad luck brought on by walking under that ladder.

Hey look, the newspaper is reporting it as a djinn invasion, so they must have done some research before coming to that conclusion. Now the Sultan is here and he says the demons are only here because of the homosexuals bringing sin into the country, if he thinks they're demons it must be true.

Get this, our religious book says that god made the universe in a week, i dont see an obvious scientific explanation and im too dumb to understand what a big bang is so it must have been god. I don't care what you say all I know is that we all have heart chakra's and mine is in a weakened state hence my unhappiness. We must not work on the sabbath and lets drink from the Kiddush Cup, thatll make things better. Don't cut your hair or god will be displeased. Yadda yadda yadda. We live in a stupid world.

Yeap, I'm perfectly aware of mass hysteria thank you. Moreover, the demonic possessions happen in a school and we know how dumb/naive kids are. There's always a chance that these kids are faking it and pretend that they are posessed because their other friends did it etc etc. (see : McMartin preschool trial.)

Bottom point is ,I'm not interested in converting any of you guys to believe in superstitions. The topic is regarding paranormal/strange events and I'm merely posting informations relevant to the thread.

Moving on to a more scientific and yet unexplained phenomena, what do you think about near death experience(NDE)?

At the hour of our death
The conflict in science over NDEs centers not on whether they happen but on what they are. It's accepted, based on various studies, that between 4% and 18% of people who are resuscitated after cardiac arrest have an NDE. Researchers tend to fall into one of two camps. The first argues that an NDE is a purely physiological phenomenon that occurs within an oxygen-starved brain. "There's nothing mysterious about NDEs," says Mark Mahowald, director of the Minnesota Regional Sleep Disorders Center. "Many people want it to be a religious, paranormal or supernatural phenomenon. The fact that NDEs can be explained scientifically detracts from the mystique."

The second camp is as adamant that no theory based purely on the workings of the brain can account for all elements of an NDE, and that we should consider the mind-bending possibility that consciousness can exist independent of a functioning brain, or at least that consciousness is more complex than we suppose. Though NDEs are driven in part by neurochemistry and psychology, says Auckland psychiatrist Karl Jansen, it has "underlying mechanisms in more mysterious realms that cannot currently be described."

Leunam

jakershaker said:
You don't have to know "all the shit" to recognise bullshit stories. Sure they can be exciting and scary but they're still just made up stories so why even pretend that they are true without and shred of evidence?

I may have misinterpreted what you said, but I, for one, read these stories because they are exciting and scary, but I never think they are real.

big_z

there was some show on discovery a while back where some people were trying to capture some type of creature with high speed cameras. they looked kinda like flying white centipedes or something but they were still blurry in the pictures due to their speed. anyone remember the special or what the things were called???

sometimes my eyes play tricks on me at night... either that or im developing schizophrenia but now and then i swear i see shadows move. on the way home from work earlier this year i almost crashed my car because i thought there was someone/something kneeling in the middle of the road. the dark is starting to scare me. :(

KAOz

Short bus special
big_z said:
there was some show on discovery a while back where some people were trying to capture some type of creature with high speed cameras. they looked kinda like flying white centipedes or something but they were still blurry in the pictures due to their speed. anyone remember the special or what the things were called???

Are you thinking of Rods? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rod_(cryptozoology)
4t24pd.jpg

Medalion

Banned
When I was a young lad growing up in London, Ontario Canada, I went to a restaurant one weekend called the Friar's Club... urban legend said it was a restaurant built on a cemetary ground.

When ya had to use the bathroom, the bathrooms were downstairs in the basement... *shit I am getting chills recalling this now* I recall one incident me and my mother will never forget.

I was using the bathroom, I was waiting to use the men's stall, the door was closed so I assumed someone was in there, and I noticed like a white doctor's lab coat hung over the door... so I waited. Then I waited awhile, and then I saw the lab coat get pulled down as if the person inside was done using it. I then noticed the door was not really closed all the way or locked, when the door swung open, I saw nobody inside, and there was no white lab coat to be found, I checked everywhere. I was absolutely freaked out, I ran upstairs and wanted to get the fuck outta there. My mom also told me a very similar story and we vowed to never go there EVER again.

I remember not that long after going there... the whole restaurant mysteriously caught on fire. My mom and joked they call it the FRI(y)-ars club, so that's why it burned down... but yeah it was creepy. Then my parents told me the urban legend about that restaurant... fucking scary shit son I tell hyeah whut.

bengraven

I used to be such a fanatic for these stories of the unexplained. My library visits usually involved coming home with 4 or 5 books on ghosts or UFOs.

I'm 30 now though and I've never felt so skeptical. I miss that dreamy fanaticism sometimes.

Jason's Ultimatum said:
This one's interesting. Berlin, 1939, a flower cart took off by itself and rolled approximately half a kilometer over level ground. Three hundred eyewitnesses.

LOL! I wonder how many GAFers will get it ?

Jason's Ultimatum said:
This one's interesting. Berlin, 1939, a flower cart took off by itself and rolled approximately half a kilometer over level ground. Three hundred eyewitnesses.

"The sponges migrated a foot and a half."

edit:
KennyLinder said:
LOL! I wonder how many GAFers will get it ?

I don't get it, I thought he was serious.

edit edit:
I just googled, and no wonder his post made me think of that line.

batbeg

Does anyone know that site of the man who recorded his tale of spelunking with a friend, and they eventually stumbled into some mysterious monster of some sort? It was a journal thing, the website set up like it was from the late 90s or something, had pictures for "evidence" and stuff. Pretty weird, but I can't find it. Obviously fake, though.

Something I do know a bit more about:

In Death Valley there are some rocks which seem to mysteriously move; there are various theories and beliefs about it, but I don't think there's anything conclusive yet? I checked out some of these trails last time I was there, really neat stuff.

One of the geological attractions is called the Racetrack Playa, famous for it's moving stones. The floor of the playa is dried, scorched mud which has broken into perfect little octagons and pentagons and mosaic. This is as "desert" as you can get in America. It's as flat as flat can be. With rocks which seem to move on their own.
The stones vary in size and shape from pebble size to half-ton boulders. They break off the hills you see in the background. Their tracks vary in length, going every which way from zig-zags to loops; some double back on themselves. Some travel only a few feet; others go for hundreds of yards, yet they can be right next to each other, and right next to some that don't move at all.

http://www.anomalies-unlimited.com/OddPics/Playa.html

1zmlfyc.jpg

Medalion

Banned
Magnetism... secret experiments conducted at night iwth powerful magnetism... Magneto must be spending some alone time in Death Valley.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
shuyin_ said:
My theory regarding Mary Celeste is that a fight took place onboard the ship (cause may have been mutiny); people killed each other (throwing the bodies into the ocean) and the survivors used the lifeboat (found missing from Mary Celeste) and the sextant and marine chronometer (both were also missing from Mary Celeste) for navigation.

The biggest mystery is what drove the crew to abandon ship. Whatever it was, i'm sure it has nothing to do with paranormal activities.
Whether it was a storm and they left in a hurry thinking the ships was going to sink, whether a fight took place, the fact is it was abandoned. The missing lifeboat and navigation instruments indicate as much. Those that were on that lifeboat probably died in it.

i don't think that saying "mutiny" to explain what happened with mary celeste counts as "your theory".

Tonay

Banned
I used to be such a fanatic for these stories of the unexplained. My library visits usually involved coming home with 4 or 5 books on ghosts or UFOs.

I'm 30 now though and I've never felt so skeptical. I miss that dreamy fanaticism sometimes.

Haha, I used to do exactly the same thing with books on the paranormal, 5 at a time just like you!

Medalion said:
When I was a young lad growing up in London, Ontario Canada, I went to a restaurant one weekend called the Friar's Club... urban legend said it was a restaurant built on a cemetary ground.

When ya had to use the bathroom, the bathrooms were downstairs in the basement... *shit I am getting chills recalling this now* I recall one incident me and my mother will never forget.

I was using the bathroom, I was waiting to use the men's stall, the door was closed so I assumed someone was in there, and I noticed like a white doctor's lab coat hung over the door... so I waited. Then I waited awhile, and then I saw the lab coat get pulled down as if the person inside was done using it. I then noticed the door was not really closed all the way or locked, when the door swung open, I saw nobody inside, and there was no white lab coat to be found, I checked everywhere. I was absolutely freaked out, I ran upstairs and wanted to get the fuck outta there. My mom also told me a very similar story and we vowed to never go there EVER again.

I remember not that long after going there... the whole restaurant mysteriously caught on fire. My mom and joked they call it the FRI(y)-ars club, so that's why it burned down... but yeah it was creepy. Then my parents told me the urban legend about that restaurant... fucking scary shit son I tell hyeah whut.

Cool story. If it had happened to me, I would have legged it out of the restaurant, shit my pants in terror, and then gone back inside (probably dragging someone else with me). Because deep down, I just know that it can't be. And I know that if it CAN be, if I stumbled upon something which was beyond the laws of physics, then I'd wanna scrutinise that shit pretty well.

Ultimately, these are tricks that the mind plays. They are ingrained cliches from a thousand different horror films. When we hear a sound, we get a chill. We see a shadow and we allow ourselves to imagine something that an otherwise rational person would discount out of hand.

The whole idea of a ghostly entity fits perfectly with what I'm saying. That a spirit would materialize or return for no other purpose than to show itself is silly and ridiculous - I mean, what it really shows is how silly and ridiculous we have become in believing such things. That we can ignore all natural laws about the corporeal body, that we witness these spirits clad in their own shabby outfits with the same old haircuts and hairstyles, never aging, never in search of more comfortable surroundings...it actually ends up saying more about the living than it does about the dead.

It doesn't take an advanced degree in psychology to understand the unconscious yearnings that these imaginings satisfy. You know, the longing for immortality, the hope that there is something beyond this mortal coil; that we might never be long without our loved ones. I mean, these are powerful, powerful desires. They're the very essence of what make us human. All right, Mulder: I'm afraid. But it's an irrational fear.

The_Dude said:
This one has always creeped me out, ever since hearing about it as a kid - Spring-Heeled Jack
Was just thinking about this yesterday. I wonder if they'll ever solve this one.

I think the whole thing was staged by Valentich because according to wiki "at no time was the aircraft plotted on radar." That's a bit fishy to me.

Blyss

Banned
I read something about two guys that found a new, undiscovered cave. One of them made kept a journal, so you could read everything.

They got in after 3 days of hard work, but they started to hear crazy shit from inside the cave. They didn't really mind, so they kept working to get deeper. After a while, they got so deep that one of them had to crawl to get further. He attached a rope somewhere to hang on to it, but suddenly something from inside the cave started pulling the rope with a lot of force.

There were a lot of paranormal things going on, but I can't remember it.

Damn this shit is hard to explain. I hope someone knows what I'm talking about. :)

Lol, found it:

http://www.angelfire.com/trek/caver/page1.html

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Tonay said:
The whole idea of a ghostly entity fits perfectly with what I'm saying. That a spirit would materialize or return for no other purpose than to show itself is silly and ridiculous - I mean, what it really shows is how silly and ridiculous we have become in believing such things. That we can ignore all natural laws about the corporeal body, that we witness these spirits clad in their own shabby outfits with the same old haircuts and hairstyles, never aging, never in search of more comfortable surroundings...it actually ends up saying more about the living than it does about the dead.

It doesn't take an advanced degree in psychology to understand the unconscious yearnings that these imaginings satisfy. You know, the longing for immortality, the hope that there is something beyond this mortal coil; that we might never be long without our loved ones. I mean, these are powerful, powerful desires. They're the very essence of what make us human. All right, Mulder: I'm afraid. But it's an irrational fear.

problem with all that is that you assume ghosts/monsters that people see (or think they see) have to be the souls of dead people hanging about. i've always felt that if ghosts exist (i don't believe in them and never seen one myself) they're most likely some unknown species that aren't bound to our "natural laws" and for one reason or another get their kicks from messing with people.

Tonay

Banned
Mr_Kitty_Fantastico said:
I've always been partial to the Amityville Horror story. The actual events are much more intriguing than the film portrayals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Amityville_Horror

If you can track it down, George Lutz did an interview w/ Art Bell a number of years ago that was absolutely amazing.

AMUSING ANECDOTE:

About 7 or 8 years ago, I used to post on the website run about the Amityville incident (the site was called The Night Exposed, not sure if its still around) that was owned by the wife of Ronnie DeFeo, who was the famous murderer in the Amityville house. The wife had actually married him in prison I believe (murderers tend to get a lot of whores digging them and it makes them wanna 'tame' the guy, I guess). Amusingly enough, Ronnies original wife used to post there as well - I'm not sure when he married her or why he didn't kill her or whatever - and they even used to bicker on the forum. If anyone knows the marital history of Ronnie DeFeo it'd be cool to know exactly who was who.

Anyway, long story short, I ended up convincing Ronnie DeFeo's wife that I was Ryan Reynolds. Yeah, this guy (he wasn't as famous then as he is now):

tn2_ryan_reynolds_3.jpg

I'd found out that he'd just signed up for a movie about Amityville and pretended to be him, and EVERYONE bought it. I acted like I'd signed up to the forum to ask questions about Ronnie now and what he had to say about the incident. I even mentioned Alanis Morrisette, who he was dating at the time. Eventually they realised I was a fake after I was found out to be posting at the exact same time as Ryan's live appearance on some late night chatshow.

Incidentally, Ronnie's wife told 'Ryan Reynolds' that Ronnie's lawyers loved all the shit about the 'haunted' house, because it helped them push for the insanity pleas they were going for during the appeals, so they positively encouraged it.

Unrelated sidenote: about 2 years ago I convinced the entire worldwide press that I was Benazir Bhutto's son, which culminated in the AFP newswire informing the british Houses of Parliament that they'd be banning the use of Facebook or Wikipedia as a source (and a few other news agencies followed in response), but that's a story for another day (specifically a day when I get to make my own threads on neogaf).

Tonay said:
AMUSING ANECDOTE:

About 7 or 8 years ago, I used to post on the website run about the Amityville incident (the site was called The Night Exposed, not sure if its still around) that was owned by the wife of Ronnie DeFeo, who was the famous murderer in the Amityville house. The wife had actually married him in prison I believe (murderers tend to get a lot of whores digging them and it makes them wanna 'tame' the guy, I guess). Amusingly enough, Ronnies original wife used to post there as well - I'm not sure when he married her or why he didn't kill her or whatever - and they even used to bicker on the forum. If anyone knows the marital history of Ronnie DeFeo it'd be cool to know exactly who was who.

Anyway, long story short, I ended up convincing Ronnie DeFeo's wife that I was Ryan Reynolds. Yeah, this guy (he wasn't as famous then as he is now):

tn2_ryan_reynolds_3.jpg

I'd found out that he'd just signed up for a movie about Amityville and pretended to be him, and EVERYONE bought it. I acted like I'd signed up to the forum to ask questions about Ronnie now and what he had to say about the incident. I even mentioned Alanis Morrisette, who he was dating at the time. Eventually they realised I was a fake after I was found out to be posting at the exact same time as Ryan's live appearance on some late night chatshow.

Incidentally, Ronnie's wife told 'Ryan Reynolds' that Ronnie's lawyers loved all the shit about the 'haunted' house, because it helped them push for the insanity pleas they were going for during the appeals, so they positively encouraged it.

Anyway, about 6 years later I convinced the entire worldwide press that I was Benazir Bhutto's son, which culminated in the AFP newswire informing the british Houses of Parliament that they'd be banning the use of Facebook or Wikipedia as a source (and a few other news agencies followed in response), but that's a story for another day (specifically a day when I get to make my own threads on neogaf).

That's pretty funny.

I would just like to point out how you were railing on that guy about his sister being kidnapped by demons (I think your points are valid, its more likely that she was mentally ill than anything else), but then you claim that you convinced the world's press corp that you were Benazir Bhutto's son. That's pretty outlanish too. :lol

DustinC

Not really creepy, but surprising in how someone can apparently just disappear and never be found, I know a guy that's been completely missing since 2006.

His name is Brian Shaffer, I used to work a retail job with him for a few years in Columbus, Ohio and we hung out with the same group of friends for quite a while. I hadn't talked to him at all about 4 years prior to him going missing, so we weren't really close or anything.

Here's the website with current info on what happened to him: http://www.findbrianshaffer.com/index.html

Basically, his Mom died prior to April 2006 from cancer, and he went missing 25 days later, on April 1st. Before that he had been out drinking with friends at a bar, which was the last time anyone saw him. He was picked up on camera just outside the bar at one point, talking to a couple girls, and then headed back into the bar. From that point on he was never picked up on a security cam again, and nobody has any idea how he could have exited the building (but the theory is he could have went through some construction area). He was engaged at the time, and was enrolled in med school at OSU.

Outside of a couple reported sightings of him just after this that never panned out, nobody has heard from him since. All his belongings were left behind, his credit cards were never used, and his bank account hasn't been touched. His fiance has moved on at this point, and is either engaged or married now I think. His father has died since he disappeared too during some wind storms from last year. The only surviving relative he has is brother.

There's been zero activity in his case for a while now, there was one message left online that was supposedly from Brian after his father died and said he was in the Virgin Islands, but when they searched for the origin of the post, they tracked it back to a local library in Franklin County, which would be the area that Brian lived in.

Brian was with two people that night, and one of them still refuses to be polygraphed, while the other person passed a polygraph test. The guy that refuses, Clint Florence (I never met him when I knew Brian), is pretty much the guy that everyone figures knows something, but he's never talked about the case with anyone, and the police don't look at the case as a homicide but have it classified as missing person still.

There was a string of murders involving college students that would disappear and wash up in local rivers that the FBI looked at as a possible serial killer, but that never panned out either. People tend to think that possibly happened with Brian, but no evidence has ever come up to go along with that.

This site breaks down the events leading up to his disappearance, along with the shots from the security cam that night: http://coltonleviclark.wordpress.com/2008/01/04/this-months-featured-case-brian-shaffer/

Tonay

Banned
Mr_Kitty_Fantastico said:
That's pretty funny.

I would just like to point out how you were railing on that guy about his sister being kidnapped by demons (I think your points are valid, its more likely that she was mentally ill than anything else), but then you claim that you convinced the world's press corp that you were Benazir Bhutto's son. That's pretty outlanish too. :lol

I've still got paper copies of The Telegraph where they wrote a big news story about how Bilawal Bhutto was a big fan of Buffy, and the one in The Times about how Benazir's husband - the current Prime Minister of Pakistan - claimed that I was working undercover for the Pakistani government.

Like I said, I'll post up the whole story in a month or so, whenever I lose my junior status and am allowed to post threads.

Medalion

Banned
I remember the movies based on the Amittyville Horror stories.

The movie series got ridiculous with how many sequels.

Reading the facts about the real story gave me da chills... and I am at work. Phone rings, I sorta take a moment lol.

ringlord

Here's a story for you. It's bizarre and mysterious but not really scary.

I'm the biggest skeptic in the world, so I still have trouble with this one, even though it happened to my brother. To see him tell the story is to believe it. You can tell he believes it. He doesn't embellish it, he tells it simply. He doesn't try to convince you that it's true, he's just explaining what happened.

For quite a while my brother was way into Native American culture, mostly the ceremonial stuff. It was his hobby. There were others he met and became close friends with that had a similar interest. They would spend a lot of time studying the traditional dances, song, and dress of the culture. They learned the dances, they beat the drum, they sang the songs. They would even spend a lot of time and money making their own ceremonial dancing costumes. Maybe costumes is the wrong word, but these were full blown Native American dancing outfits -- feather bustles, ribbons, intricate bead work, the whole lot. My brother was specifically a "fancy dancer" which was one specific style of outfit and dancing. Do a google image search if you want to see what they look like.

My brother would make these outfits over the course of months, then take them to official competitions called "Pow-wows" where they would judge costumes and dancing performances. There were also drum and singing competitions, so my brother would often practice these techniques with his friends either in their homes or at these gatherings. A drum team was made up of four guys all beating on the same drum while singing these Native American songs -- in the native language, of course, not English.

Found this video of some singing and dancing so you can get an idea of what I'm talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ini9rvGWtaw

The weird story begins at one of these drum practice sessions. This was a few years ago -- my brother was in his mid 20's. My brother and three others were at one of their homes (not my brother's) in the foothills of North Carolina. They were sitting in a room going through some songs. They'd play a couple, then take a break, and so on. They were just doing the songs and drum, no dancing, so they weren't dressed in their outfits.

I can't tell it as well as he can, but at some point one friend who was the most experienced with the songs and drum techniques decided to teach them an older song. Apparently there are "new" and "old" Native American songs, and the newer ones are the ones that tend to be sung at competitions these days. So the friend begins teaching them the beat and words, and after a while they've all learned it and are in the groove.

As my brother tells it, there was suddenly some lights in the room. He could see movement of it out of the corner of his eye, as if there was some light behind him, but in of him front he sees a brightly lit ball of light moving through the room. It was the size of a grapefruit or a little larger. As it moved, it transformed into a Native American in full dancing regalia who performed some dance steps to their song and then transformed back into the ball of light which continued moving through the room.

As soon as they all saw this, their singing and drumming stopped, naturally, and the lights disappeared.

My brother and the more experienced drummer/singer were on one side and saw the dancer. The other two drummers were facing the opposite way and saw two similar balls of light, but neither of them turned into a figure -- these are the lights my brother saw from his peripheral vision.

They were all dumbfounded for a while, and began describing what they saw to each other. My brother and the other guy that saw the dancing man described in detail what he was wearing -- the type and design of bead work, the color of feathers, type of headdress, and so on. Both were talking over each other describing these details, but both agreed they had each seen the same thing.

The other two only saw two balls of light, both perhaps a little smaller than the one my brother had seen, moving about the room. I asked my brother if they had been drinking or smoking anything, and he emphatically says no.

Native American spirits summoned by the singing of an old, traditional drum song rarely heard these days? That's what my brother and his friends think. Native Americans were prevalent in the foothills and mountains of North Carolina many years ago.

I still don't know what to think. When he tells it, I believe it because I can tell he honestly saw those things. Afterward I tell myself 'that can't be true, can it?' and I try to think of some rational explanation, but I got nothing.

drewd420

Neo Member
shuyin_ said:
Weren't rods proved to be just video recording artefacts?

Yup, large insects / small birds moving fast and caught on video that's recording too slow to catch their range of motion. The long rod part is the streak caused by their bodies, and the rod 'fins' are the individual wing beats caught in the frame.

I think they recreated several on an episode of monsterquest? They set a high speed video camera and a normal everyday video camera to shoot the same location outside at night. The high speed camera catches bugs flying around, the normal camera shows rods at the same time stamp.

Well there was this one time that I was vacationing in Italy and I met this young eccentric man, he claimed to be a count. He said that he and his brother who was a historian would offer to give me a tour. So we got into his car and we sped down narrow streets and dusty roads until we came across this huge picturesque estate. On the way there, he mentioned that his brother's life was exaggerated by a famous cannibal curator(hannibal lector). I thought that was pretty cool but it was a bit creepy.

We then went into the estate and he asked if we wanted to see their secret holy place. While showing us I saw in disbelief a saint still dressed in royal clothes behind the altar. We then headed for the wine cellar, and he was telling us that during times of war, legend was traced back inside these castle walls. Soldiers came to hide in barrels filled with wine, but they never escape, and those tombs of oak are where they died. I couldn't believe what I was hearing and was getting increasingly scared for my life. The count eventually noticed that I was upset and distressed and I told him why. He said not to be afraid and he would never hurt me. The chapel, saint, the soldiers in the wine are all stories handed down through time. He said I was free to go of course and to go tell the world his story.

:)

Actually this next story is true about me and taken from http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=368133

I've only had sleep paralysis once, and it was very mild compared to the out of body experience that I supposedly had earlier on in the same night. Pretty much I woke up and I was floating over my sleeping body. It was too real to be dreaming, as if I was awake. Whenever I moved my hand in front of my face, my body in the bed would do the same exact thing. Flexed my fingers, even gave myself the finger. I then went through my wall and looked at myself through my own window. Tested the arm/finger flex, still worked. Even my clock was correct. I was reading that when you have a lucid dream you can tell you're dreaming if you notice the clock numbers change, well, my clock never changed even after I looked away a few times.

I then flew over long island(which was one of the most incredible things ever) into amityville where my job is located. Appeared in my office, (everything was dark), then flew back to my house. Looked at myself through the window and tested the flex thing again. I then floated over my body and whenever I got too close, my whole vision and body would distort and flutter, it eventually started to vibrate really hard so I backed off and tried again. I eventually just braved the vibrations and then I woke up suddenly in my bed, my window curtains were moving slightly(which is impossible because my window isnt actually open and my door is closed, and I dont have a fan to blow air around in my room. My entire body felt super tingly all over, like when your leg falls asleep. It was one of the coolest experiences ever.

After that I tried to go back to sleep to try it again but I ended up jsut getting that weird vibrating feeling and I totally started to freak out so I woke myself up and went on the computer for awhile. I eventually went back to sleep but didnt have any experiences. This happened sometime in April.

BTW, I love these threads. I hope this becomes a GAF classic.

batbeg

Blyss said:
I read something about two guys that found a new, undiscovered cave. One of them made kept a journal, so you could read everything.

They got in after 3 days of hard work, but they started to hear crazy shit from inside the cave. They didn't really mind, so they kept working to get deeper. After a while, they got so deep that one of them had to crawl to get further. He attached a rope somewhere to hang on to it, but suddenly something from inside the cave started pulling the rope with a lot of force.

There were a lot of paranormal things going on, but I can't remember it.

Damn this shit is hard to explain. I hope someone knows what I'm talking about. :)

Lol, found it:

http://www.angelfire.com/trek/caver/page1.html

Aaaah, thanks, this is what I'd been referring to just a few posts above! Couldn't find it myself.

Tonay

Banned
ringlord said:
For quite a while my brother was way into Native American culture...

As my brother tells it, there was suddenly some lights in the room. He could see movement of it out of the corner of his eye, as if there was some light behind him, but in of him front he sees a brightly lit ball of light moving through the room. It was the size of a grapefruit or a little larger. As it moved, it transformed into a Native American in full dancing regalia who performed some dance steps to their song and then transformed back into the ball of light which continued moving through the room.

As soon as they all saw this, their singing and drumming stopped, naturally, and the lights disappeared.

My brother and the more experienced drummer/singer were on one side and saw the dancer. The other two drummers were facing the opposite way and saw two similar balls of light, but neither of them turned into a figure -- these are the lights my brother saw from his peripheral vision.

They were all dumbfounded for a while, and began describing what they saw to each other. My brother and the other guy that saw the dancing man described in detail what he was wearing -- the type and design of bead work, the color of feathers, type of headdress, and so on. Both were talking over each other describing these details, but both agreed they had each seen the same thing.

The other two only saw two balls of light, both perhaps a little smaller than the one my brother had seen, moving about the room. I asked my brother if they had been drinking or smoking anything, and he emphatically says no.

Sounds like mushrooms to me! Maybe some strong weed could manage it.

The fact that they both think they saw something would indicate that there was actually something there, probably just some flash of light or bird or something, and they pictured it as something more. Once they started talking about it they started thinking that they'd seen more than they actually had (re: mass hysteria), and you said they were both excitedly telling each other about that stuff whilst talking at the same time, it was clearly being built up in their minds. Maybe it wasn't drugs, maybe just the mood of that kind of ancient dancing put their heads into an altered state, and the smallest stimulus - like this flash of light - got exaggerated and then built up as the two of them excitedly told each other about it.

You guys should read the two volumes of a book called The X-Files Book of the Unexplained, by Jane Goldman, it's full of loads of these true life insane stories. Back in the day, south american tribespeople used to ingest all sorts of crazy jungle plants and animals and be convinced that they'd turned into tigers n shit. They'd have to be alone for it to happen, of course: if anyone else was there, they'd just look at him like we do at this dude: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9ttuWNR1tc

Top Bottom