• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Creepy unsolved/paranormal/strange events thread

As is probably apparent from my posts here, I'm a skeptic, but here's an odd little personal story from just a few months ago:

My dad passed away last year, and (possibly relevant to the story) never really knew he had a grandson (my nephew), who was born three weeks before he died. Early this summer my brother's family stayed at my parents' house for a few weeks while they were in between homes, and we were all visiting there over Father's Day weekend.

My infant nephew was sick and was having an awful night, screaming on and off for most of the night. Around 2 AM or so he was crying again, and from their bedroom my brother and his wife both heard the sound of the reclining chair in the living room pulling up (or down). My mom is up often during the night but it was still weird because she should have been sleeping downstairs. So my sister-in-law was worried that someone was in the house and made my brother go investigate. He checks the hall and living room and.. nothing. Lights out, completely quiet.

For what it's worth, my dad basically lived in the reclining chair.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Election 2004

Still baffled on how this happened....

10_23Daily%20Mirror%20Bush%20Wins%20Cover.jpg

R2D4

Banned
The whole remote viewing thing is really interesting. How the US and the Russians experimented in it during the cold war.

J-Rod

At some point several years ago(as the story is pretty darn old) Ted, or the guy who wrote under the alias of Ted, came out about the story and of course said he wrote it for fun. He did say just about all of it was true save for the supernatural, of course. Particulary about him and his friend carving that hole, and how bad scratched up he got wiggling through, and how bad caving can be in general. The article had detailed maps of the caves including the hole they found that connected them and the exits, and so forth. Was pretty interesting.

KHarvey16 said:
How do you know how fast it was going?
i dont.
all i know some commercial jets travel near the speed of sound. this object/plane was going moving about the same speed as i would usually see a commercial jet at 30,000 ft.

Kevtones

DustinC said:
Not really creepy, but surprising in how someone can apparently just disappear and never be found, I know a guy that's been completely missing since 2006.

His name is Brian Shaffer, I used to work a retail job with him for a few years in Columbus, Ohio and we hung out with the same group of friends for quite a while. I hadn't talked to him at all about 4 years prior to him going missing, so we weren't really close or anything.

Here's the website with current info on what happened to him: http://www.findbrianshaffer.com/index.html

Basically, his Mom died prior to April 2006 from cancer, and he went missing 25 days later, on April 1st. Before that he had been out drinking with friends at a bar, which was the last time anyone saw him. He was picked up on camera just outside the bar at one point, talking to a couple girls, and then headed back into the bar. From that point on he was never picked up on a security cam again, and nobody has any idea how he could have exited the building (but the theory is he could have went through some construction area). He was engaged at the time, and was enrolled in med school at OSU.

Outside of a couple reported sightings of him just after this that never panned out, nobody has heard from him since. All his belongings were left behind, his credit cards were never used, and his bank account hasn't been touched. His fiance has moved on at this point, and is either engaged or married now I think. His father has died since he disappeared too during some wind storms from last year. The only surviving relative he has is brother.

There's been zero activity in his case for a while now, there was one message left online that was supposedly from Brian after his father died and said he was in the Virgin Islands, but when they searched for the origin of the post, they tracked it back to a local library in Franklin County, which would be the area that Brian lived in.

Brian was with two people that night, and one of them still refuses to be polygraphed, while the other person passed a polygraph test. The guy that refuses, Clint Florence (I never met him when I knew Brian), is pretty much the guy that everyone figures knows something, but he's never talked about the case with anyone, and the police don't look at the case as a homicide but have it classified as missing person still.

There was a string of murders involving college students that would disappear and wash up in local rivers that the FBI looked at as a possible serial killer, but that never panned out either. People tend to think that possibly happened with Brian, but no evidence has ever come up to go along with that.

This site breaks down the events leading up to his disappearance, along with the shots from the security cam that night: http://coltonleviclark.wordpress.com/2008/01/04/this-months-featured-case-brian-shaffer/

This is the only compelling story in this thread. Odds are he was killed, but who and how? It's very sad regardless.

KHarvey16

Gio_CoD said:
I can't speak for demons and ghosts, but the CIA and the US military have done extensive testing on paranormal subjects like ESP, remote viewing, telekinesis, etc... There are studies out there that show that certain people have a much higher than chance aptitude for remote viewing and ESP. Also, while UFOs aren't necessarily paranormal, there are books out there that go into depth explaining how there is a high likelihood that UFOs are man-made aircraft that operate on electrogravitic (anti-gravity) principles. Look up Thomas Townsend Brown and check out some of the anti-gravity experiments that he was able to show in many, many demonstrations.

I find it somewhat ironic that a lot of the "science rules all!" people out there (and there are a lot of them on this message board) are so unwilling to have an open mind that there are new scientific avenues out there that we haven't explored. There's definitely a mentality that we've figured it all out, and everything that doesn't fit into our existing definitions is mass hysteria and schizophrenia.

The government did study those things. Why that legitimizes it to anyone, I don't know. There are plenty of studies and information that quite clearly demonstrate ESP and remote viewing do not work. Do you know who Banachek is? Look him up.

Anyone falling back on the "you have to have an open mind! defense lacks real evidence. If these people produce the evidence, they can win Randi's million dollars for one and two make themselves very famous. Why don't they do it?

Joe Shlabotnik said:
As is probably apparent from my posts here, I'm a skeptic, but here's an odd little personal story from just a few months ago:

My dad passed away last year, and (possibly relevant to the story) never really knew he had a grandson (my nephew), who was born three weeks before he died. Early this summer my brother's family stayed at my parents' house for a few weeks while they were in between homes, and we were all visiting there over Father's Day weekend.

My infant nephew was sick and was having an awful night, screaming on and off for most of the night. Around 2 AM or so he was crying again, and from their bedroom my brother and his wife both heard the sound of the reclining chair in the living room pulling up (or down). My mom is up often during the night but it was still weird because she should have been sleeping downstairs. So my sister-in-law was worried that someone was in the house and made my brother go investigate. He checks the hall and living room and.. nothing. Lights out, completely quiet.

For what it's worth, my dad basically lived in the reclining chair.
Sorry to hear about your dad, man.

For what it's worth, I have always thought of these types of experiences (involving recently deceased people) as something far more believable than mothman or evil monster stuff. My mother always says that I used to talk with my grandfather, who passed away when I was 2, for a while after he died. I don't remember anything about it, though.

Dorrin

The cases of people missing are the ones I find the most creepy because wr have proof here that someone is actually missing. We had a case in Missouri I think the St. Louis area of a teenager who was found to be a child was abducted like 10 years prior living with the man who had abducted him.

When I see some of these missing cases reports I think of the stories above or some of those other tails of people being locked in a dungeon and things like that for years. Creepy shit.

LCGeek

formerly sane
~Devil Trigger~ said:
Election 2004

Still baffled on how this happened....

10_23Daily%20Mirror%20Bush%20Wins%20Cover.jpg

polarized country, swift boating, and John kerry basically came off like a pussy to most among other things nothing to be baffled about at all.

KHarvey16

viakado said:
i dont.
all i know some commercial jets travel near the speed of sound. this object/plane was going moving about the same speed as i would usually see a commercial jet at 30,000 ft.

Commercial jets top out at about 200 mph less then mach 1. A plane at 30,000 feet going 500 mph would look slower then if it were at 10,000 feet. A fighter jet around that speed can turn very quickly.

KHarvey16 said:
Commercial jets top out at about 200 mph less then mach 1. A plane at 30,000 feet going 500 mph would look slower then if it were at 10,000 feet. A fighter jet around that speed can turn very quickly.
well, i've seen fighter jets make quick turns. nothing like what i saw.
at whatever altitude or speed it was on, this fucker made a hard 90degree turn.

SteelAttack said:
Sorry to hear about your dad, man.

For what it's worth, I have always thought of these types of experiences (involving recently deceased people) as something far more believable than mothman or evil monster stuff. My mother always says that I used to talk with my grandfather, who passed away when I was 2, for a while after he died. I don't remember anything about it, though.

No intention of trawling for condolences but thanks very much for yours. :) I don't know what to make of the story myself, just relaying it exactly as it happened--my brother asked me if I had gotten up during the night the very next morning. Most reasonable explanation is that they just heard something else, perhaps from outside. It's a distinctive and familiar sound to us though, I'd heard it from my own room hundreds of times over the years.

LCGeek

formerly sane
KHarvey16 said:
The government did study those things. Why that legitimizes it to anyone, I don't know. There are plenty of studies and information that quite clearly demonstrate ESP and remote viewing do not work. Do you know who Banachek is? Look him up.

Anyone falling back on the "you have to have an open mind! defense lacks real evidence. If these people produce the evidence, they can win Randi's million dollars for one and two make themselves very famous. Why don't they do it?

Not everyone is perceptive to it just as in life like people have a vast range of abilities they can be good or bad in the same applies for that area. Real evidence in that area isn't as simple as I tried it and it didn't work for me so it doesn't work for everyone. The guy is fraud pure and simple if we applied the same thought to science one could argue it's faulty as well for the amount of bullshitters it produces using it's title as legitimacy. What you mentioned about the open mind is one requirement among many other things anyone doing psychic stuff should before even bothering. Limitations are self fulfilling prophecies unto themselves.

KHarvey16

viakado said:
well, i've seen fighter jets make quick turns. nothing like what i saw.
at whatever altitude or speed it was on, this fucker made a hard 90degree turn.

It sounds like you've already decided what you want it to be. Why bother asking if it's possible then?

LCGeek said:
Not everyone is perceptive to it just as in life like people have a vast range of abilities they can be good or bad in the same applies for that area. Real evidence in that area isn't as simple as I tried it and it didn't work for me so it doesn't work for everyone. The guy is fraud pure and simple if we applied the same thought to science one could argue it's faulty as well for the amount of bullshitters it produces using it's title as legitimacy. What you mentioned about the open mind is one requirement among many other things anyone doing psychic stuff should before even bothering. Limitations are self fulfilling prophecies unto themselves.

Why don't the people who claim to have these abilities, the ones others claim are good at this stuff, prove themselves and become famous?

KHarvey16 said:
It sounds like you've already decided what you want it to be. Why bother asking if it's possible then?
no i havent. curiousity i suppose if there was existing technology for that kind of turn.
my mind is blown! o_0

Gio_CoD

Banned
KHarvey16 said:
Why don't the people who claim to have these abilities, the ones others claim are good at this stuff, prove themselves and become famous?
Possibly because it can't be proven in the environment that is asked of them. I know Randi is famous for going to extremes in proving that no outside influences can be a factor. Things like asking the tester to get results in rooms with no windows, or move things that are behind glass walls, etc... I can understand Randi's reasoning, but assuming that these outside factors could have no impact on the testers' ability isn't proving anything other than the results can't be replicated in a clean room environment. Plus, you know, maybe some people just don't give a shit about being famous and proving things to James Randi?

R2D4 said:
The whole remote viewing thing is really interesting. How the US and the Russians experimented in it during the cold war.

I assume you've heard of Ed "Dr. Doom" Dames? He sells remote viewing lessons and always make these insane apocalyptic forecasts. He's pretty entertaining whenever he's on Coast to Coast.

Leunam

Whoa now, I won't have none of this Randi smack talking. The man is awesome at exposing frauds.

225px-RANDI.jpg

Just look at the motherfucker.

KHarvey16

Gio_CoD said:
Possibly because it can't be proven in the environment that is asked of them. I know Randi is famous for going to extremes in proving that no outside influences can be a factor. Things like asking the tester to get results in rooms with no windows, or move things that are behind glass walls, etc... I can understand Randi's reasoning, but assuming that these outside factors could have no impact on the testers' ability isn't proving anything other than the results can't be replicated in a clean room environment. Plus, you know, maybe some people just don't give a shit about being famous and proving things to James Randi?

It doesn't have to be James Randi, it could be anyone with appropriate scientific rigor. If these people can do what they say they can do, why is it there's always stipulations and excuses after they fail to prove themselves? The conditions need to be tightly controlled specifically because of people like Banachek. Lax controls lead to fakes.

Gio_CoD

Banned
KHarvey16 said:
It doesn't have to be James Randi, it could be anyone with appropriate scientific rigor. If these people can do what they say they can do, why is it there's always stipulations and excuses after they fail to prove themselves? The conditions need to be tightly controlled specifically because of people like Banachek. Lax controls lead to fakes.
It sounds like you've already made up your mind too, so what's the point of us having this argument?

LCGeek

formerly sane
KHarvey16 said:

From my understanding of certain mystic teachings those with true powers are not to demonstrate or show boat their abilities just because they can. Remote viewing isn't all that useful say one could do it the problem becomes you could be looking a potential number of universes like ours but not the direct one you're connected to. Robert Monroe and those who followed his work leave much more tangible ways of dealing with the subject than the crockpots who get attention from the media.

KHarvey16

Gio_CoD said:
It sounds like you've already made up your mind too, so what's the point of us having this argument?

My mind is completely open to being changed. It's just gonna take real evidence and proper precautions to do it. Crazy, right?

LCGeek said:
From my understanding of certain mystic teachings those with true powers are not to demonstrate or show boat their abilities just because they can. Remote viewing isn't all that useful say one could do it the problem becomes you could be looking a potential number of universes like ours but not the direct one you're connected to. Robert Monroe and those who followed his work leave much more tangible ways of dealing with the subject the crockpots who get attention from the media.

Now imagine you created some sort of power out of thin air. You want people to believe you have it. Would your reasoning be similar, to deflect criticism over your inability to demonstrate it under controlled conditions?

Psychics are perfectly willing to go on TV and charge people ridiculous amounts of money. I don't think I buy this honor code thing.

LCGeek

formerly sane
KHarvey16 said:
Now imagine you created some sort of power out of thin air. You want people to believe you have it. Would your reasoning be similar, to deflect criticism over your inability to demonstrate it under controlled conditions?

Psychics are perfectly willing to go on TV and charge people ridiculous amounts of money. I don't think I buy this honor code thing.

Air isn't in the sense you're describing you're a science mind you know the flow of how energy becomes matter and various substances to create what you describe. If everything comes down to light or energy and nothing can be created or destroyed it's only a matter of methodology in utilizing what is out there in the infinite universe. Abilities are nothing without the proper opportunity to show it though I say why take something that is clearly of consciousness and mental in to a physical arena? Odds are if someone is charging you money regardless if they are psychic or any other bs people charge they aren't all that sincere nor do they speak for the community one could presume they represent. Rather lying cons always represent lying cons.

Gio_CoD

Banned
KHarvey16 said:
My mind is completely open to being changed. It's just gonna take real evidence and proper precautions to do it. Crazy, right?
But the evidence has to conform to your specific standards, right? Let's say that one of the requirements to demonstrate ESP is that the person be comfortable and relaxed. And then Randi requires them to be behind a two-way mirror where he is being constantly observed. Well, then it might not work, right? Let's say a requirement for telekinesis is having the object be unobstructed from the performer, yet Randi requires it be enclosed in a glass covering. That would be enough to stop it from working.

The controls of an experiment can impact the experiment; especially if one is attempting to discover the principles of the experiment.

Here's one I found to be creepy and morbid :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omayra_Sánchez
Omayra Sanchez was a 13-year old victim of the Nevado del Ruiz volcano which erupted on November 13, 1985 in Armero, Colombia, causing massive lahars which killed nearly 25,000. She was trapped for 3 days in water, concrete, and other debris before she died.
Omayra was trapped up to her neck in water, concrete, and other debris for three days before she succumbed to gangrene and hypothermia. During three nights of agony, Omayra seemed strong but was suffering. According to Cristina Echandia, a journalist who kept records of the events, Omayra sang and had normal conversations with the people who were trying to help her. The little girl was thirsty and scared. On the third night, Omayra began hallucinating, saying that she did not want to be late for school. At some point she asked the people to leave her so they could rest.

Television coverage of the disaster introduced her to the world when she was still alive. The photo shown here was taken hours before her death and published after her death.

Omayra_Sanchez.jpg

Purkake4

Banned
LCGeek said:
Air isn't in the sense you're describing you're a science mind you know the flow of how energy becomes matter and various substances to create what you describe. If everything comes down to light or energy and nothing can be created or destroyed it's only a matter of methodology in utilizing what is out there in the infinite universe. Abilities are nothing without the proper opportunity to show it though I say why take something that is clearly of consciousness and mental in to a physical arena? Odds are if someone is charging you money regardless if they are psychic or any other bs people charge they aren't all that sincere nor do they speak for the community one could presume they represent. Rather lying cons always represent lying cons.

The Universe isn't infinite and your posts are incoherent and hard to read.

@Gio_CoD: Look up the scientific method.

KHarvey16

Gio_CoD said:
But the evidence has to conform to your specific standards, right? Let's say that one of the requirements to demonstrate ESP is that the person be comfortable and relaxed. And then Randi requires them to be behind a two-way mirror where he is being constantly observed. Well, then it might not work, right? Let's say a requirement for telekinesis is having the object be unobstructed from the performer, yet Randi requires it be enclosed in a glass covering. That would be enough to stop it from working.

The controls of an experiment can impact the experiment; especially if one is attempting to discover the principles of the experiment.

They agree to the conditions, do they not? They work with Randi to devise the experiment, agree to the stipulations and then commence with the whining and excuses when they inevitably fail. Like I said though, it doesn't have to be Randi. Hell, they can come up with something on their own, have the test certified by an appropriate agency or person and be good to go. Do you understand how valuable something like that would be to the scientific community? It would represent a colossal break through!

If it happens to be the case that ESP or remote viewing can never be properly tested then I'm sorry, I'm not going to buy it and your criticism about the lack of an open mind fall very flat.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Purkake4 said:
The Universe isn't infinite and your posts are incoherent and hard to read.

@Gio_CoD: Look up the scientific method.

Prove it rather we both know you can't it's nothing more than a belief. If you can't understand what I post specifically point it out and I will gladly correct the original statement or elaborate more.

Purkake4

Banned
LCGeek said:
Prove it rather we both know you can't it's nothing more than a belief. If you can't understand what I post specifically point it out and I will gladly correct the original statement or elaborate more.

The Universe being finite, but expanding has nothing to do with belief, it is the prevailing theory in the scientific community.

Try shorter sentences and paragraphs.

Gio_CoD said:

I've followed the Million Dollar Challenge for a while. The protocol doesn't have pre-set challenges or limits--a specific claim is made by the person applying and then test parameters are devised by both the Randi Foundation and the applicant. The test has to be designed to eliminate both outside manipulation and chance. So you can apply and say "I can move objects with my mind but only with an unobstructed view of the object", as long as you agree to take other measures that prevent you from manipulating the object.

If you claim to be able to hit a baseball 400 feet with a baseball bat, you can stipulate that you have to be able to see the baseball. But you can't say that no one else can watch while you hit it.

Tonay

Banned
Gio_CoD said:
Let's say that one of the requirements to demonstrate ESP is that the person be comfortable and relaxed. Let's say a requirement for telekinesis is having the object be unobstructed from the performer.

Lets say a requirement for me making the statue of liberty disappear is that you have to sit on my boat and look through a gap in a curtain.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Purkake4 said:
The Universe being finite, but expanding has nothing to do with belief, it is the prevailing theory in the scientific community.

Try shorter sentences and paragraphs.

So what if a universe is expanding it could or will eventually collapse in to a another one, in a omniverse that is expected. YOUR scientific community when you get in to black physics than let me know your thoughts. I try, I really do but the flow just comes and goes.

Jackson50

I had a perplexing experience at a cemetery located in Saginaw, Michigan. It is the Dice Road Cemetery. You can enter it into Google if you desire. Anyway, I was doing a research project on the cemetery. My experience is not fantastical. It is mundane, and that is what intrigues me most.

On one of my visits to the cemetery, I had my friend accompany me. As we scoured the cemetery, we saw an elderly couple tending to a certain area of the cemetery. What was surprising, and what perplexed me, was that this couple appeared seemingly out of nowhere. This is a rural cemetery, and the only vehicle in the cemetery was my friend's F-150. Also, the area they were tending to was void of any humans just five minutes prior. They ignored me and my friend until I said "hello" to them. The woman ignored me, and the man gave me a quick, expressionless glance. Deciding to leave them alone, we walked to another part of the cemetery. Within five minutes of the previous occurrence, we returned to my friend's truck to leave. Oddly enough, and this is what I find most perplexing, the couple had disappeared as mysteriously as they appeared. I do not believe in Ghosts; however, that was an occurrence that is inexplicable.

batbeg

I need to check out that other internet story when I have some more time, as I love House of Leaves and somewhat like the caver story. Thanks.

Tonay said:
Actually, if the sailors back in the day had google, it would have taken a 3 second google search to tell them the truth: that the world is not flat, it's a really big sphere.

I might have better luck with this in the stupid question thread, but...

I heard somewhere that sailors knew the earth was round to begin with; look at the horizon from land at a seaside town, you can distinctly see the curvature of the earth. The controversy of Columbus' journey wasn't that they'd run off the edge of the earth, but that they'd not have enough supplies to reach India.

True or false?

Leunam

LCGeek said:
So what if a universe is expanding it could or will eventually collapse in to a another one, in a omniverse that is expected. YOUR scientific community when you get in to black physics than let me know your thoughts. I try, I really do but the flow just comes and goes.

LCGeek
formerly sane
(Today, 03:06 PM)

LCGeek

formerly sane
Leunam said:
LCGeek
formerly sane
(Today, 03:06 PM)

Leunam
(Today, 03:08 PM)

This means what, it was something given that fit with the kind of messages I've been presenting at times. My tag was formerly hatorade. I will say it a billion times for your new guys I never wanted to be sane that is the greatest delusion of ones perception.

Purkake4

Banned
LCGeek said:

What? Try to formulate sentences using the English grammar next time.

Jackson50 said:
I had a perplexing experience at a cemetery located in Saginaw, Michigan. It is the Dice Road Cemetery. You can enter it into Google if you desire. Anyway, I was doing a research project on the cemetery. My experience is not fantastical. It is mundane, and that is what intrigues me most.

On one of my visits to the cemetery, I had my friend accompany me. As we scoured the cemetery, we saw an elderly couple tending to a certain area of the cemetery. What was surprising, and what perplexed me, was that this couple appeared seemingly out of nowhere. This is a rural cemetery, and the only vehicle in the cemetery was my friend's F-150. Also, the area they were tending to was void of any humans just five minutes prior. They ignored me and my friend until I said "hello" to them. The woman ignored me, and the man gave me a quick, expressionless glance. Deciding to leave them alone, we walked to another part of the cemetery. Within five minutes of the previous occurrence, we returned to my friend's truck to leave. Oddly enough, and this is what I find most perplexing, the couple had disappeared as mysteriously as they appeared. I do not believe in Ghosts; however, that was an occurrence that is inexplicable.

Neat. Anything else out of the ordinary about them?

Leunam

LCGeek said:
Leunam
(Today, 03:08 PM)

This means what, it was something given that fit with the kind of messages I've been presenting at times. My tag was formerly hatorade. I will say it a billion times for your new guys I never wanted to be sane that is the greatest delusion of ones perception.

I could quote your avatar too if you'd like.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Purkake4 said:
What? Try to formulate sentences using the English grammar next time.

Why a reaction like that always gives me a chuckle. :lol :D

Leunam said:
I could quote your avatar too if you'd like.

I don't mind you're not the first member to do so nor the last.

Steeven

I once saw the clown from It, for real, when I was like ten years old. Thing is, I was so fucking scared of him, I saw him through the crack of the door, in my bedroom. He was laying in my bed, as if he was waiting for me, but it looked like he was sleeping. I got so scared I looked away, but then told myself I was imagining this shit. I looked again, and still there he was, his eyes closed. Again I looked away, and when I looked for the third time the motherfucker stared right at me, looking fucking angry.

So yeah, from then on I realized how people can fuck up their own minds. It's quite incredible.

Top Bottom