• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Critical analysis of Dragon Ball Z – A short dissertation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monocle

Bowflex said:
How dare I not settle for mediocrity! Go back to watching Transformers 3. You're part of the problem.
Look who dropped his monocle* in his tea this morning. You complained about missed opportunities to consummate dramatic tension, and have employed the word "gauche," in a critique of a cartoon show for children called Dragon Ball Z that is mainly about musclebound fighters banging their heads into things and chasing gaily colored orbs that let them summon a magic dragon and make a wish. Think about that for a second.

* What splendid irony that I referred to a monocle even as I am named after the selfsame ocular aid! *chortle!* I nearly gagged myself on a crumpet.

I approve of anything Monocle ever writes.

Adamm said:
Yeah after the Freeza saga power levels got a bit meaningless. I remeber the 'OVER 9000!!!!' (before the meme) and remebering how high it seemed :(
Cell Saga is still my favorite (not to say Frieza Saga isn't amazing). I think you just have to roll with how over-the-top the series gets as a whole. I let it all slide. Hell, Frieza had about a billion different forms---that seemed more ridiculous than most of what was in anything after.

SomeDude said:
I think it should have ended there, heh.

Freeza was the villain that ruled the universe up to that point. I believe freeza was also the first villain to have a power level of over 1 million.

By the end of the series it got ridiculous and most of the sayains and villains had power levels over 100,000,000. Watch the start of the series when raditz reads gokus and piccolos power levels. Both had power levels under 1,000

Yeah it did get a bit ridiculous how new villians appeard who just happened to be even stronger than the good guys at that point after the Freeza saga.

Freeza like set the benchmark being the most powerfull in the universe then at the end of the series when comparing him to the others he was a weakling.

Bowflex

The fact that anyone supports Hillary boggles my mind... I have tested between 130-160 on IQ tests
Monocle said:
Look who dropped his monocle* in his tea this morning. You complained about missed opportunities to consummate dramatic tension, and have employed the word "gauche," in a critique of a cartoon show for children called Dragon Ball Z that is mainly about musclebound fighters banging their heads into things and chasing gaily colored orbs that let them summon a magic dragon and make a wish. Think about that for a second.

* What splendid irony that I referred to a monocle even as I am named after the selfsame ocular aid! *chortle!* I nearly gagged myself on a crumpet.

It's called fantasy, hombre, and just because something has a younger demographic does not mean it shouldn't be well-written or have, god forbid, depth! It certainly doesn't mean it can't be appreciated by adults. Exhibit A:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6az9wGfeSgM

^ A well-presented, nicely paced tale of a little girl wanders upon a magical bathhouse and must aid spirits in order to save her parents who have been transformed into pigs by a sorceress. SANS 'GAUCHE'

Wiseblade

Did I travel back in time, or are we seriously having this thread in 2011? None of your criticisms are new, and you fail to provide any fresh insight whatsoever.

Bad_Boy said:
I'll say this. Naruto fixes everything that was ever wrong with Dragonball, but keeps everything I loved about it.

ip9v2f.jpg

The original Dragon Ball manga(I never watched the anime so I can't say) before any of the Z nonsense happened is the best thing to come out of the whole Dragon Ball thing. Especially just the first storyline that ends around when they first find all the dragon balls and summon the dragon. Everything past that feels kinda repetitive and re-hashy.

Bowflex

The fact that anyone supports Hillary boggles my mind... I have tested between 130-160 on IQ tests
Wiseblade said:
Did I travel back in time, or are we seriously having this thread in 2011? None of your criticisms are new, and you fail to provide any fresh insight whatsoever.

ip9v2f.jpg

Consider me LTTP

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Bad_Boy said:
I'll say this. Naruto fixes everything that was ever wrong with Dragonball, but keeps everything I loved about it.
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

Nah but seriously, Naruto has turned to such shit, it's incredible.

Anyways, DBZ has flaws, but I don't care about them. NO ANIME EVER will surpass it based off of pure nostalgia. I mean, on that small TV with the cable box, me, my sister and my cousins, when we were young and lived in my grandmother's house at the time, DBZ on Toonami was the highlight of our day. No other show or cartoon is doing that.

I've watched it today and still love it.

Wiseblade

Bowflex said:
Consider me LTTP
In which case, why not watch Kai? It would have almost completely solved your pacing issues. And judging Z without watching/reading Dragonball is so 1999. Of course many characters would seem flat when you jump into the point of the story where the author forgot about them.

Bowflex

Wiseblade said:
In which case, why not watch Kai? It would have almost completely solved your pacing issues. And judging Z without watching/reading Dragonball is so 1999. Of course many characters would seem flat when you jump into the point of the story where the author forgot about them.

Because I'm a purist at heart, and I have a lot of free time. Also, I did watch Dragon Ball before I started re-watching Z. The characters have been flat from the very beginning. Never said they aren't endearing though.

Monocle

Bowflex said:
It's called fantasy, hombre, and just because something has a younger demographic does not mean it shouldn't be well-written or have, god forbid, depth! It certainly doesn't mean it can't be appreciated by adults. Exhibit A:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6az9wGfeSgM
I'm an adult who appreciates DBZ, and that involves enjoying it on its own terms, as a juvenile power fantasy that shows its seams. This type of material has limitations. If you aren't prepared to acknowledge them from the start, and indulge them, or better yet to enjoy the way they contribute to the show's campy tone, your expectations aren't realistic and you're watching the wrong show.

Join us for tomorrow night's episode, where we consider how Halo 3's respawn system distorts the exquisite character of the Shaivite conception of reincarnation.

Wiseblade

Bowflex said:
Because I'm a purist at heart, and I have a lot of free time. Also, I did watch Dragon Ball before I started re-watching Z. The characters have been flat from the very beginning. Never said they aren't endearing though.
Then why not read the manga? Can't get more "pure" than that.

Zzoram

Avatar The Last Airbender is superior in every way, because it actually uses some subtlety, there is character growth and conflict between allies, and the animation is so great and filler is almost non-existent.

Bowflex

Monocle said:
I'm an adult who appreciates DBZ, and that involves enjoying it on its own terms, as a juvenile power fantasy that shows its seams. This type of material has limitations. If you aren't prepared to acknowledge them from the start, and indulge them, or better yet to enjoy the way they contribute to the show's campy tone, your expectations aren't realistic and you're watching the wrong show.

Join us for tomorrow night's episode, where we consider how Halo 3's respawn system distorts the exquisite character of the Shaivite conception of reincarnation.

Eseentially you are saying it's par for the course. Which it shouldn't be. What I'm saying is that it could have been better, these are the things that would have made it better, and I couldn't help but notice them

Wiseblade said:
Then why not read the manga? Can't get more "pure" than that.

Good point :/

Zzoram said:
Avatar The Last Airbender is superior in every way, because it actually uses some subtlety, there is character growth and conflict between allies, and the animation is so great and filler is almost non-existent.

Funny you should mention that because this article

http://www.tinymixtapes.com/features/watching-iavatar-last-airbenderi

partially inspired me to make this thread

Lothars

Zzoram said:
I still prefer DBZ in every way over Airbender.

Zaptruder

Banned
A more interesting writeup would've been a detailed analysis into the cultural zeitgeist and social and psychological factors at play that allowed something like Dragon ball Z to be as big as it has been; and how it's gone on to influence media and the culture at large among those that watched and enjoyed it.

Lothars

Bowflex said:
Eseentially you are saying it's par for the course. Which it shouldn't be. What I'm saying is that it could have been better, these are the things that would have made it better, and I couldn't help but notice them
DBZ isn't perfect and I would say the worst part about the show is how much filler there was, To be fair though DBZ ended 15 years ago, so I think that makes a big difference especially compared to some other shows.

So yes i would say for that time period, it could have been par for the course.

Dragon Ball Z always struck me as being like cartoon professional wrestling. Maybe because most of the people I knew growing up who were into one were into the other. DBZ at least has storylines of the same or higher quality as pro wrestling.

Bowflex

Zaptruder said:
A more interesting writeup would've been a detailed analysis into the cultural zeitgeist and social and psychological factors at play that allowed something like Dragon ball Z to be as big as it has been; and how it's gone on to influence media and the culture at large among those that watched and enjoyed it.

I think Post-WWII Atomic bomb guilt/fear/fascination fueled a lot of these freakishly powerful fighting shows. Also, heroism, but that's generally understood as a psychological reasoning for most forms of fiction.

Lothars said:
DBZ isn't perfect and I would say the worst part about the show is how much filler there was, To be fair though DBZ ended 15 years ago, so I think that makes a big difference especially compared to some other shows.

So yes i would say for that time period, it could have been par for the course.

Good point.

zoukka

So basically we are arguing which pile of steaming shit smells least bad...

Come on, these are action shows for kids.

SomeDude said:
I think it should have ended there, heh.

Freeza was the villain that ruled the universe up to that point. I believe freeza was also the first villain to have a power level of over 1 million.

By the end of the series it got ridiculous and most of the sayains and villains had power levels over 100,000,000. Watch the start of the series when raditz reads gokus and piccolos power levels. Both had power levels under 1,000
A hundred Million? End of the series? Um...Super Saiyan Goku's power level was 150,000,000 at the end of the Freeza Saga. There's no telling how high it was when they fought Kidd Buu. In the billions? And adding in GT....oh god.

Chinner

Banned
all of these problems are pretty obvious, even as a child, and meanwhile the op is acting extremely pretentious as if he's some amazing critic enlightening us just because he's typed a bunch of words.

you know what? i think the OP can go fu-

NEXT TIME IN DRAGONBALL Z

Monocle

Bowflex said:
Actually, you do make some good points about pacing and writing and such. Obviously the show could have been much improved simply by cutting the fat. I was just amused at your solemn and slightly overearnest approach to analyzing its shortcomings. I mean, my earlier summary of the show wasn't that far off the mark. Avatar and Spirited Away are in a completely different class, and merit the serious attention that DBZ arguably does not.

Bowflex

Chinner said:
all of these problems are pretty obvious, even as a child, and meanwhile the op is acting extremely pretentious as if he's some amazing critic enlightening us just because he's typed a bunch of words.

you know what? i think the OP can go fu-

NEXT TIME IN DRAGONBALL Z

GAF-isms 101: Call things that make us feel insecure 'pretentious'

Monocle said:
Actually, you do make some good points about pacing and writing and such. Obviously the show could have been much improved simply by cutting the fat. I was just amused at your solemn and slightly overearnest approach to analyzing its shortcomings. I mean, my earlier summary of the show wasn't that far off the mark. Avatar and Spirited Away are in a completely different class, and merit the serious attention that DBZ arguably does not.

Thanks, and I can see the absurdity/silliness behind this thread. I will certainly be watching Avatar next.

jaxword

effingvic said:
that was so awesome

this just reminds me of how, despite being a good guy overall, horrible a father and husband goku was

In a way, Goku was a take on the stereotypical Fighting Hero character who Lives For The Fight. Those skills only work for the fight, not for the rebuilding afterwards with family and social needs.

"Beating things up does not make you a good family man" could easily be the theme of Dragonball Z.

Perhaps that's why Ryu always walks the world alone.

vf8n04.png

Bowflex

ONE MORE THING I SHOULD MENTION:

The Cooler movies are absolutely wonderful. Trunks and Bardok specials are pretty flawless too.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
voodoopanda said:
Dragon Ball Z always struck me as being like cartoon professional wrestling. Maybe because most of the people I knew growing up who were into one were into the other. DBZ at least has storylines of the same or higher quality as pro wrestling.

I gotta agree.

In Wrestling something like this would happen on certain days.

"Will Goldberg keep his belt? Or will he be tazer gunned down by Scott Hall or hit with a steel chair causing the other guy to win instead because the referee (SOMEHOW) didn't see it happen? Or will he just end the match in a few seconds with just one or two moves. Find out next time on WCW Monday Nitro!"

Basically both shows make you want to know what happens next predictable or not.

Bowflex

Yambert said:
dont watch the shitty anime guys. read the books, they are a far, far superior storytelling format!

I haven't read them, but I assume this is good advice.

As for the professional wrestling analogy, it's very dangerous to condemn something based solely on associations.

Bad_Boy said:
This a million times, and it still manages to be its own product. DBZ is still iconic though, and I love it just because it is what it is. Every time I see Vegeta stand over Goku I get a majin smile across my face :^)

Bowflex

I should be doing hw said:
I thought this was going to be a critical analysis, not a one-sided negative review of the series.

Did you not bother reading the last two paragraphs where I praise certain aspects in semi-glowing tones?

Bowflex said:
Did you not bother reading the last two paragraphs where I praise certain aspects in semi-glowing tones?
Not really, I couldn't get past the part where you were deconstructing the character development and dialog of a shonen anime after claiming to have matured. And again, there was no analysis of anything interesting.

cajunator

Banned
GrizzNKev said:
Best anime ever is Code Geass. Confusing at times, but always gets to the point. And the ending. Wow.

As far as how you feel about DBZ, I must agree on all fronts.
Code Geass is god-tier entertainment.

1. Japanese people tend to habitually repeat the last thing a person said in conversation. It's considered a way to keep the conversation going and a way to be polite.

2. The manga had waaaaaay less fat. The animation team was getting to the point where if they didn't slow down and write extra stuff in, they would catch up to where Toriyama was still writing the next week's manga chapter. There's very little "here's a week's worth of training episodes," the heroes arrive on Namek the chapter after they leave, and Namek's explosion is drawn out far less due to the time dilation in comics (although Frieza even admits past a certain point that he was exaggerating when Goku points out that it's been like 10 minutes).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom