• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Critical analysis of Dragon Ball Z – A short dissertation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yambert

Neo Member
everyone is comparing dbz to naruto and one piece... I like yuyu hakusho more than any of the other shounen animes.

Bowflex

The fact that anyone supports Hillary boggles my mind... I have tested between 130-160 on IQ tests
Just finished movie 9, "Bojack Unbound"

Another superb movie entry for the series. The art and animation were great, top-notch fight choreography, pacing was good, lots of good characterization, etc.

One thing worth mentioning...Trunks' look in this movie is the epitome of "badass" - his shoulder-length lilac hair, sleeveless jean jacket over a black tank top, ripped arms. Such a good design.

Bowflex

The fact that anyone supports Hillary boggles my mind... I have tested between 130-160 on IQ tests
thekad said:
IIRC, Goku could have ate a sensu bean, but didn't. Or he gave a sensu bean to Cell.

Both.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Super Saiyan was the coolest fucking shit ever when I first saw that. THE COOLEST FUCKING THING EVER.

Tesseract

Banned
dbz is fucking cool.

you're telling me i can eat this bean to replenish my energy? thanks, talking cat. brb, gotta fly out of snakeway and save my friends using multiplicative powerups and spirit energy.

it's the ultimate male power fantasy. faulconer's score is masterful. toriyama's art is masterful. the only niggling concern is the filler, but that stuff is dumb fun, just like the show.

*edit* i quit after freeza.

Bowflex

Angry Grimace said:
Super Saiyan was the coolest fucking shit ever when I first saw that. THE COOLEST FUCKING THING EVER.

Pretty much. I remember waiting a fucking HOUR on my best friend's dial-up to watch a 10 second clip of Goku going super saiyan and nearly pooping myself with excitement when I finally saw it.

Ultratech

Banzaiaap said:
Dragon Ball was much better. Clearly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxL3j26igoM

DB was awesome. Always made for a good afternoon...

And I'm with the group that agrees that it got ridiculous after the Frieza Saga.

cajunator said:
Code Geass is god-tier entertainment.

Yeah, it is pretty interesting. Although all things considered, Lelouch killed a LOT of people directly/indirectly. More messed up so towards the end where he literally sends hundreds/thousands of people to their death. Something that I noticed when I rewatched the series last year.

Takao

Banned
Wheeljack539 said:
That's the UK version (prior to Big Green dub).

Personally, I do like the Faulconer score. I saw Dragonball when it first aired in 1995, and then watched both DBZ seasons 1 & 2 in 1996 & 1997. Afterwards a friend of mind who had satellite tv found and taped spanish DBZ, amazingly enough, around where Season 2 left off. So for two years before Season 3 came out in 1999, I had watched from Goku vs Jeice and Burter to Perfect Cell in spanish with the original music.

I was... less that impressed. Not to say that I didn't think it was bad, but it didn't help that alt.fan.dragonball and other forums used to fucking hype the shit out of original score (some saying at points they cried as the music was so good) to the point that my expectations ended up being too high and fell pretty damn flat.

UK version? It was dubbed in Canada (hence the no British accents and return of Season 1 and 2 voice actors), haha.

Wheeljack539

Gold Member
Takao said:
UK version? It was dubbed in Canada (hence the no British accents and return of Season 1 and 2 voice actors), haha.

I say UK version because that's where it was aired primarily and how most fans knew about it. Hell, there used to be a site dedicated to it back in 2002-2005 or so called UKDBZ with the actors that were employed by the Vancouver Ocean/Westwood group.

Even though it brought back most of the original cast (fuck them for not wanting to pay Ian Corlett), it was besieged by many voice directors who wanted different things (spoke to Scott McNeil about this back in 2002), use of slightly altered Funimation scripts, and the use of BGM from other series sans a few tracks.

Moaradin

I'm watching DBZ with the English dub and original music. Gotta say it makes it much better. The original soundtrack actually had emotions to it.

The funimation music had none.

Moaradin

onemic said:
Dragonball is better than Dragonball Z

Overall I might agree with you. Dragonball got better and better and never hit a low point for me. The end when Goku is all grown up was a huge emotional moment for me since you have been used to him being a kid for like 4 seasons.

Dragon Ball Z peaked at Frieza. It was great by the end of Cell Saga but then dropped down significantly in the Buu saga.

zero_suit

onemic said:
Dragonball is better than Dragonball Z

Agreed. It had better comedy, more adventure elements, focused more on martial arts (less laser beams), and only one wish could be granted with the Dragonballs (DBZ had Namekian DBs which granted three).

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Faulconer made DBZ in the west. His music along with VG music inspired me to make music myself. I can't watch DBZ without it, although I wouldn't mind watching the Japanese version but only if it had Faulconer music in it... If only they remade Kai like this for us

Just popping in to say I don't know who was in charge of putting the metal music in the movies but I hate them because it makes some of them so unwatchable for me. On the other hand Bruce Falconer in the main series is fantastic, can't enjoy Kai as much without them, though some his themes do get played to much.

Zee-Row

Banned
People actually like the Funimation music? Ever since 1995 I always watched the dub thinking , "Hey this would be a lot better if the Japanese music was playing."

Takao

Banned
Wheeljack539 said:
I say UK version because that's where it was aired primarily and how most fans knew about it. Hell, there used to be a site dedicated to it back in 2002-2005 or so called UKDBZ with the actors that were employed by the Vancouver Ocean/Westwood group.

Even though it brought back most of the original cast (fuck them for not wanting to pay Ian Corlett), it was besieged by many voice directors who wanted different things (spoke to Scott McNeil about this back in 2002), use of slightly altered Funimation scripts, and the use of BGM from other series sans a few tracks.

Well, the dub isn't UK exclusive. It aired in Canada (as did the Calgary produced dubs of GT, and DB), and before either of them, it aired in the Netherlands.

Teetris[B said:
]Faulconer made DBZ in the west.[/B] His music along with VG music inspired me to make music myself. I can't watch DBZ without it, although I wouldn't mind watching the Japanese version but only if it had Faulconer music in it... If only they remade Kai like this for us

He made it so much that the initial 67 episodes that sparked the creation of the dub that had his music had absolutely no involvement from him. ;)

Otrebor Nightmarecoat said:
Goku and gohan sound like annoying bitches in the jap dub. Good thing the eng dub fixed those voices.

Yeah, instead Gohan sounds like a chain smoker in the dub of Z. ;)

The Lamp

GrizzNKev said:
Best anime ever is Code Geass. Confusing at times, but always gets to the point. And the ending. Wow.

As far as how you feel about DBZ, I must agree on all fronts.

This is factually wrong with Monster, Gurren Lagann and Death Note existing.

Anyway, Naruto definitely doesn't "fix" DBZ, it's full of its own filler arcs and garbage as well.

DBZ had a chronic problem of keeping people on the edge of their seat....for weeks.....

Bowflex

The way Vegeta says goodbye to Trunks before he returns to the future made me realize just how original these characters really are. It was a really wonderful moment.

I take back a lot of what I said in the OP about the characters being simple. They definitely could have been developed more, but they are truly unlike any others. I already feel I like I'm going to miss them when I'm finished watching the show and I will remember them for some time.

Bad_Boy said:
I'll say this. Naruto fixes everything that was ever wrong with Dragonball, but keeps everything I loved about it.
Except god main character having other-worldly progression leaving all mentors and former rivals in the dust.

Sent

Doesn't Naruto have way more episodes now than DBZ ever did? I stopped reading/watching it 9 years ago. NINE YEARS AGO.

It's a show for kids inspired by Superman with plain (but charismatically designed) characters that spend five episodes charging up their powers.

Enjoy it for what it is or just accept its flaws and the hours of entertainment that provided you in your teenage days.

The show was intended to end after the Namec arc anyway; people just kept asking for more and Toriyama gave them two more arcs before he finally quit.

Wheeljack539

Gold Member
Takao said:
Well, the dub isn't UK exclusive. It aired in Canada (as did the Calgary produced dubs of GT, and DB), and before either of them, it aired in the Netherlands.

Yes, I know and I apologize if I insinuated that, but most if not all of my dealings with fans of that version have all been from the UK. Hell, even the episodes I did have were encoded over there.

Celsior

Aizu_Itsuko said:
It's a show for kids inspired by Superman with plain (but charismatically designed) characters that spend five episodes charging up their powers.

Enjoy it for what it is or just accept its flaws and the hours of entertainment that provided you in your teenage days.

The show was intended to end after the Namec arc anyway; people just kept asking for more and Toriyama gave them two more arcs before he finally quit.
God there is so much false information in one post its not even funny

Takao

Banned
Aizu_Itsuko said:

No it wasn't.

So, a few people here have pointed out that Toriyama hated Vegeta. Is there a source for this? I've done some digging, but couldn't find anything on Google.

Bad_Boy said:
I'll say this. Naruto fixes everything that was ever wrong with Dragonball, but keeps everything I loved about it.

How is that possible? It has a year worth of filler between the ending fight of sasuke and naruto and then the time skip.

Monocle

Kenak said:
DBZ is one of the rare dubs where the new music is objectively better, and the character voices are hit or miss, but still much better than other shows. Seriously, Goku's voice in the original Japanese variant is awful.
I agree. The dub's music is a much better fit for the show, as are most of the dubbed voices. Goku's bizarre high-pitched drone nearly ruins the original version. That said, I suspect most people prefer whichever version of DBZ they saw first.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member

RedAssedApe

Banned
If you have to watch the anime...watch Kai. But I say skip the anime entirely and just read the manga. Its paced much better and it leaves out that abortion that is DBGT.

I would have been completely satisfied if the series had just ended after the Cell games. Gohan going SSJ2 was pretty awesome in the original Japanese anime though.

jaxword

Toriyama went off the deep end after the Cell games.

It's pretty obvious that editors were keeping him on the path to glory. You can read up on how Cell turned out so well BECAUSE his editor kept telling him to refine the ideas.

Originally Gero and 19 were going to be the big scary villains. Editor said they needed work.

Then 17/18 were going to be the big bads. Still not very scary.

So Cell was introduced. STILL not scary enough in his insectoid form.

Cell's new forms were introduced. It took 2 of them before finalizing on one that his editor didn't think looked stupid, and now we all know cell in his classic humanoid form.

Takao

Banned
I don't know about you, but I find first form Cell incredibly unnerving looking. The other ones just started to look like weird people.

criticizing dbz is so easy that it's not even worth doing. you really have to appreciate it in a bubble, away from everything else. there's an appeal with dbz that is hard to explain; for me, it's how overwhelmingly hopeless things can get but the heroes always figure a way out of it. that and i love bulma.

Yeah. And him eating the androids creeped me the fuck out when I was a kid.
I recall the whole start of that arc having a creepy atmosphere. Am I right in recollecting that they didn't show Cell's first form straight away? They teased it for a while, with shed skin and reaction shots etc. before finally showing him. His english voice made it less creepy when he started talking; they should have kept that for his second form or something.

criticizing dbz is so easy that it's not even worth doing. you really have to appreciate it in a bubble, away from everything else. there's an appeal with dbz that is hard to explain; for me, it's how overwhelmingly hopeless things can get but the heroes always figure a way out of it. that and i love bulma.
I find it the opposite, it's so easy to criticise DBZ in a self-contained environment. I can only find appreciation for it in the context of when it was released and the cultural climate of America (or the West) and Japan during that era, at which point it becomes fascinating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom