• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Critical analysis of Dragon Ball Z – A short dissertation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apath

DBZ is one of the rare dubs where the new music is objectively better, and the character voices are hit or miss, but still much better than other shows. Seriously, Goku's voice in the original Japanese variant is awful.

Celsior

Wait, the OP thought Goku could beat perfect cell.

Goku knew he couldn't beat cell. It has been shown since the time chamber that he doesn't have the capabilities to breach the wall to SS2 in time. He was counting on Gohan's natural rage in battle to defeat cell. This is why he opts to just hanging out for the week instead of training. (Trunks and Vegeta trained in the time chamber during that week with very little results).
Perfect Cell was just playing with Goku during there battle and Goku knew that.

Apath

Celsior said:

Goku knew he couldn't beat cell. It has been shown since the time chamber that he doesn't have the capabilities to breach the wall to SS2 in time. He was counting on Gohan's natural rage in battle to defeat cell. This is why he opts to just hanging out for the week instead of training. (Trunks and Vegeta trained in the time chamber during that week with very little results).
Well, after Goku used instant transmission and Kamehameha'd Cell into oblivion, everyone should have been like "QUICK! GRAB HIS REMAINS AND CHUCK HIM INTO THE SUN!" Or like... when Cell was about to self-destruct, Goku should have teleported him and Cell into the sun so Cell couldn't reform.

Josh7289

Kenak said:
DBZ is one of the rare dubs where the new music is objectively better, and the character voices are hit or miss, but still much better than other shows. Seriously, Goku's voice in the original Japanese variant is awful.
Whoa, .. whoa. Did you seriously just say that? I'm actually blown away by this statement right now.

Takao said:
The assault on pacing, and dialogue is funny given those are issues relating only to the anime adaptation. The manga moves really fast, and rarely repeats dialog. They aren't English majors or anything, but still.

lol no

I like a wide eyed adventure. Naruto's too busy focusing on loser side characters who come from broken homes.
Not here till the 3rd page? You're slipping, Takao.

Apath

Josh7289 said:
Whoa, .. whoa. Did you seriously just say that? I'm actually blown away by this statement right now.
The music in the original Japanese dub sucks ass. There, I said it.

Though it's not as bad as the music used in the Funimation DBZ movies, or even the atrocity that is DB:GT *shudders*

Josh7289

Kenak said:
The music in the original Japanese dub sucks ass. There, I said it.

Though it's not as bad as the music used in the Funimation DBZ movies, or even the atrocity that is DB:GT *shudders*
I know the dub has its fans, but to say it's "objectively" better was just crazy to me.

Apath

Josh7289 said:
I know the dub has its fans, but to say it's "objectively" better was just crazy to me.
It was just hyperbole.

And I don't think the original Japanese music sucks ass. It can actually be very pleasant and beautiful even. I just don't think it fits the nature of DBZ very well at all. Dragon Ball is a completely different case.

Josh7289

Kenak said:
It was just hyperbole.

And I don't think the original Japanese music sucks ass. It can actually be very pleasant and beautiful even. I just don't think it fits the nature of DBZ very well at all. Dragon Ball is a completely different case.
You keep toning it down.
KuGsj.gif

But that's cool. I can dig that.

Celsior

Kenak said:
Well, after Goku used instant transmission and Kamehameha'd Cell into oblivion, everyone should have been like "QUICK! GRAB HIS REMAINS AND CHUCK HIM INTO THE SUN!" Or like... when Cell was about to self-destruct, Goku should have teleported him and Cell into the sun so Cell couldn't reform.
I think chucking him into the sun after he got blown up is nigh impossible even in the dragon ball world. Also, Goku stated he had no idea were to take cell and he took him to the first place he thought of.
Plus, even cell thought he couldn't reform after the blow up.

Also, people comparing a 16 year old anime to a 5 year old American cartoon show for filler?
Of course DB is going to have filler, it couldn't catch up to the source material. Avatar has no source material to catch up to.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I find the music in the American dub to be totally contrary to the nature of DBZ. That's a show that demands a sweeping orchestra with blaring horns and drums and the occasional guitar riff.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
TheExodu5 said:
I prefer the Funimation version. I love the Bruce Falconer soundtrack.
The Latin American dub had the original Japanese soundtrack, so we didn't get brainwashed with the Funimation shit. I feel for you guys.

Apath

Josh7289 said:
You keep toning it down.
KuGsj.gif

But that's cool. I can dig that.
Well my first post was just blatant over-exaggeration and hyperbole mostly because I didn't think anyone would reply or take it seriously. After I saw your second reply, I figured you deserved the respect of an actual opinion. So there ya go!

Celsior said:
I think chucking him into the sun after he got blown up is nigh impossible even in the dragon ball world. Also, Goku stated he had no idea were to take cell and he took him to the first place he thought of.
Plus, even cell thought he couldn't reform after the blow up.
Yeah, I know there are technicalities that prevent certain events from taking place, which is the case in almost any fictional show where things divulge to "what if?" I was just pointing out that Goku could have actually defeated Cell, and came very close. It was his lack of action after decimating Cell that really lead to his defeat -- not their difference in power.

Log4Girlz

I only read the Naruto manga now. Too much filler in the anime. It is its own thing...the first half is godly, shippudden is...rough to read. It just got interesting again though.

Apath

Log4Girlz said:
I only read the Naruto manga now. Too much filler in the anime. It is its own thing...the first half is godly, shippudden is...rough to read. It just got interesting again though.
Interesting in the sense that while things are moving again, things are so convoluted and ridiculous now, that any plot advancement seems to also serve the purpose of shitting on everything that made Naruto great in part one.

op is right on the money with the filler. Can't stand watching long anime series like DBZ/Naruto/Bleach partially due to that. It's also why I mostly stick to short series and movies :L

Levyne

Banned
I wish there as a version of Kai that

a.) Had Falcouner music (hey, grew up with it)
b.) Finished through the Buu Saga

Not because I love the Buu saga or really have any affinity to it, but because I think it is the arc that would improve the most (it's easy to improve with that as your starting material) with the filler trim and better dialogue.

LProtag

I wouldn't really call this a dissertation as much as a review.

I mean, you're saying a lot but you're not coming to any conclusions about what any of it means.

Anth0ny

Jarate said:
+Bruce Falcouner soundtrack and the dub are both incredible. It's one of the few animes that does the sound much much better then the japanese version does
+It's lighthearted and never really takes itself super seriously. All the character are silly, a lot of the events are unlikely, and many things going on in the show make no sense, but it's enjoyable

bahahahahaha

As for the Buu saga, I understand the hate. And I was once in that group. But as the years have on gone, I've started to appreciate it more and more.

Without a doubt, the end of the Cell saga was the best point to end the series. Ending it with Freeza wouldn't have made sense, as that throws all of Gohan's character development in the trash. It comes full circle at the end of Cell. Goku is dead, and Gohan is the new hero the will protect the world from evil.

It's clear that's how Toriyama wanted to end the series, because it still ends that way. Except replace Gohan with Uub.

So, ignoring the fact that it's totally unnecessary, Toriyama really does go back to his roots with the Buu saga. The Tenkaichi Budokai returns and there is a much more comedic tone in the arc.

Is it the weakest arc in the Z era? Yeah, I'd say so. But I don't think it's bad.

Bowflex said:
Outside of impregnating her, he shows almost no physical attraction to her or any other women for that matter. You could assume it's because he's so deeply involved with fighting and self-improvement, but I think there's more to it than that. Also, think about this: Tom Cruise is married and that doesn't mean he ain't gay.
The same can be said for pretty much any character not shown to be a "perv" in the show. They all only show interest in fighting and/or protecting the earth. Hell, wasn't one of your complains about Krillin letting 18 live? He did that because he has such a lack of experience with female affection that the one kiss on the cheek she gave him made a huge impression on him. He even stated finding a GF as one of his goals when Freeza appeared to have died (in the dub at least ... not sure wtf happens in the JPN version but I'm guessing that's what went down).

Really, all the action happens when they're facing villains and ... there are no female fighters outside of 18 in the show after Vegeta gets there. And unlike Goku, Vegeta was raised in a world full of his people. I always thought that that would have some affect on the way he views things in a sexual light. Always thought the missing tail would be freaky and unattractive to him ... plus his pride in his race would make weakening it by making babies with non-saiyans seem like a problem so he wouldn't entertain the thought. He ends up with the one female in the group he has contact with that isn't taken and has proven to be an asset which goes with his character imo.

Bowflex

The fact that anyone supports Hillary boggles my mind... I have tested between 130-160 on IQ tests
Azar said:
I wrote an article earlier this year that's kind of the opposite of the OP after I've finished every episode of the Dragon Ball TV show. There's a lot of stupid in DBZ, but the original series especially has some of the most imaginative, thorough and warm-hearted worldbuilding ever. That's something to cherish.

I couldn't agree more.

Metal B said:
You did forget the best and probably only part of character development in this saga. Goku was not suddenly worried, Piccolo was horrified! He asked. how Goku could let his his son get in this situation on propose. He, the former enemy and demon, tells Goku, that his son is not a fighter like him and he really wishes for a father, who can protect him form such decisions and to kill someone. Piccolo reminds him, that Gohan is just a child. Then Goku realizes what a cruel plan he put his son into and how it changes Gohan all of a sudden. (Gohan began to play with Cell, like Vegeta would do).
This shows the big connection between Piccolo and Gohan and the poor one between Goku and his son. Sadly Toriyama never mad this an important element of his stories.

I agree with all your points but that was in an earlier episode which was why I didn't mention it. Still, pure gold

Josh7289 said:
I think this is a Japanese thing. He's asking what the dragon balls are. What's so different between this and "what are the dragon balls?" The way it's done in Japanese is just a bit less direct.

If it's a Japanese thing, that's understandable, but in that hypothetical scenario, I was trying to imply that Gohan did know what they were and was just repeating it for lack of anything more interesting to say.

Celsior said:

It would make sense to me that when Cell is missing the entire upper half of his body, Goku could have pull all his ki into one shot and annihilated him completely.

jaxword

Bowflex said:
It would make sense to me that when Cell is missing the entire upper half of his body, Goku could have pull all his ki into one shot and annihilated him completely.

That scene was just more stupid "stand there looking at the enemy's corpse" that the series is plagued with. Buu got even worse with that.

Though you could fanwank and say Goku HAD put everything into that blast and was completely out of breath (and fireball energy).

Bowflex

The fact that anyone supports Hillary boggles my mind... I have tested between 130-160 on IQ tests
Black-Wind said:
The same can be said for pretty much any character not shown to be a "perv" in the show. They all only show interest in fighting and/or protecting the earth. Hell, wasn't one of your complains about Krillin letting 18 live? He did that because he has such a lack of experience with female affection that the one kiss on the cheek she gave him made a huge impression on him. He even stated finding a GF as one of his goals when Freeza appeared to have died (in the dub at least ... not sure wtf happens in the JPN version but I'm guessing that's what went down).

Really, all the action happens when they're facing villains and ... there are no female fighters outside of 18 in the show after Vegeta gets there. And unlike Goku, Vegeta was raised in a world full of his people. I always thought that that would have some affect on the way he views things in a sexual light. Always thought the missing tail would be freaky and unattractive to him ... plus his pride in his race would make weakening it by making babies with non-saiyans seem like a problem so he wouldn't entertain the thought. He ends up with the one female in the group he has contact with that isn't taken and has proven to be an asset which goes with his character imo.

Good points, but I felt the other characters possess a boyish naivety/innocence explaining there apathy towards girls, whereas Vegeta does not. Piccolo, on the other hand is very much asexual.

InsertNameHere said:
I wouldn't really call this a dissertation as much as a review.

dis·ser·ta·tion (d s r-t sh n). n. A lengthy, formal treatise

trea·tise/ˈtrētis/
Noun:
A written work dealing formally and systematically with a subject.

Morgadeth

Bowflex said:
Funimation did a wonderful job butchering the series for American audiences and is therefore irrelevant to me and will not be mentioned any further here.
Pretty sure they only edited it for TV and cropped the image for some 'wide screen' dvd and blu-ray releases.

Kenak said:

I though the english music during Goku's spirit bomb sequence against kid buu was awful. The japanese version was so much better during the flashback scene of the entire buu saga before Goku finished him off.

LProtag

Bowflex said:
dis·ser·ta·tion (d s r-t sh n). n. A lengthy, formal treatise

trea·tise/ˈtrētis/
Noun:
A written work dealing formally and systematically with a subject.

I was speaking as to the more common usage as in a Ph.D. analysis.

Takao

Banned
cooljeanius said:
Not here till the 3rd page? You're slipping, Takao.

This was posted at 3AM! I need to sleep, haha.

Bowflex said:
Outside of impregnating her, he shows almost no physical attraction to her or any other women for that matter. You could assume it's because he's so deeply involved with fighting and self-improvement, but I think there's more to it than that. Also, think about this: Tom Cruise is married and that doesn't mean he ain't gay.

It's more so a case of Toriyama not being able to write romance than closet homosexuality in my opinion. If you notice, in all of the relationships in Dragon Ball, outside of Videl and Gohan, it all happens off screen. Toriyama is a gag manga author, he's admitted that he's not good at romance, and actually at one point thought of having Goku and Bulma be a couple, despite the obvious brother/sister bond they share.

Heck, if you want to stretch this further, it's just because Vegeta doesn't like anyone. He never mentions his brother to anyone on Earth, haha. But I certainly do understand where you could see that in Vegeta's character.

I leik Halo said:
I can't believe how downhill the show went after the cell saga. It's like he just didn't give a fuck anymore.

Eh, I really enjoy the Boo saga. It's a return to a comedic villain, and the arch itself has a lot of good parts. You finally get the culmination of every piece of character development Vegeta has had. As well, for the first time in the series, you have a villain who you actually do really begin to enjoy, and care for in Mr. Boo.

If you want to blame the messiness of that saga, I'd blame Toriyama's editor who was a lot more relaxed and less demanding than Toriyama's previous ones.

crimzonflame said:
Were the actual dragon balls ever the main focus after the first few arcs in the original DB?

Besides Namek, the majority of GT revolves around the Dragon Balls in some fashion. Which is a shame given the execution of those good ideas.

Morgadeth said:
Pretty sure they only edited it for TV and cropped the image for some 'wide screen' dvd and blu-ray releases.

The script of the English dub has some truly bizarre moments of dialog that are only topped by like the Portuguese dub (Ms. Portugal 1994!).

Log4Girlz

Kenak said:
Interesting in the sense that while things are moving again, things are so convoluted and ridiculous now, that any plot advancement seems to also serve the purpose of shitting on everything that made Naruto great in part one.

Oh yeah. But you know who summoning a giant meteor? Awesome. Me and my friend love to joke about how the story has sunk so damn low its on another plane of existence lol. First half was so GODLY. Sigh.

Bowflex

Takao, do you know of any good Toriyama interviews, artbooks, or biographies?

I already own The World, but all the written segments are in Japanese

I really liked Perfect Cell. His funi voice actor was great.

The only think that I like about Naruto is it's creativity in battles. The Story and drama is meh honestly.

Takao

Banned
Bowflex said:
Takao, do you know of any good Toriyama interviews, artbooks, or biographies?

I already own The World, but all the written segments are in Japanese

Unfortunately, there's very little in terms of English published interviews with Akira Toriyama. He's an incredibly private man, so even Japanese interviews are rare outside of when he's asked to promote something.

There are a few translated interviews at places like Daizex.com, or Kanzentai.com but in terms of published English work there's a few interviews in the US Shonen Jump issues (RIP), the 5 page interview in Dragon Ball: The Complete Illustrations, and of coruse the little author notes in every volume of the manga. The Complete Illustrations is actually a translation of the first Daizenshuu, or Perfect Collection guide books from Japan. They're incredibly in depth look overs of the Dragon Ball franchise, and help fill in some small holes in the Dragon Ball universe. Sadly, only the first one was translated into English, largely in part because there was little Japanese in it (Daizenshuu 1 is largely an art collection). If I understood Japanese, I'd import those, the GT Perfect Files (which dissect GT), and other guide books such as Dragon Ball: Landmark, Forever, or the Super Exciting Guide. There are a tonne of Dragon Ball guide books in Japan, but to my knowledge a lot of them recycle content from the Daizenshuu books.

Outside of Dr. Slump, I'm not actually familiar with a lot of Toriyama's other work, thus I'm not really aware of any interviews or insights he's given in relations to those.

Bowflex

I just finished episode 191 (the actual last Cell episode....I'm assuming), and it was absolutely amazing. Really doesn't get much better than that

Takao said:
Unfortunately, there's very little in terms of English published interviews with Akira Toriyama. He's an incredibly private man, so even Japanese interviews are rare outside of when he's asked to promote something.

There are a few translated interviews at places like Daizex.com, or Kanzentai.com but in terms of published English work there's a few interviews in the US Shonen Jump issues (RIP), the 5 page interview in Dragon Ball: The Complete Illustrations, and of coruse the little author notes in every volume of the manga. The Complete Illustrations is actually a translation of the first Daizenshuu, or Perfect Collection guide books from Japan. They're incredibly in depth look overs of the Dragon Ball franchise, and help fill in some small holes in the Dragon Ball universe. Sadly, only the first one was translated into English, largely in part because there was little Japanese in it (Daizenshuu 1 is largely an art collection). If I understood Japanese, I'd import those, the GT Perfect Files (which dissect GT), and other guide books such as Dragon Ball: Landmark, Forever, or the Super Exciting Guide. There are a tonne of Dragon Ball guide books in Japan, but to my knowledge a lot of them recycle content from the Daizenshuu books.

Outside of Dr. Slump, I'm not actually familiar with a lot of Toriyama's other work, thus I'm not really aware of any interviews or insights he's given in relations to those.

I'll check out those sites, and look into ordering some of those book. thanks!

Also, imo Toriyama's best work was his designs for Chrono Trigger. Most of his Dragon Quest stuff is pretty solid too.

IpsoFacto

This is a good topic that I would like to chip in and here's my two cents on the Dragonball comic book.

It is simply terrible. Much of it seems to do with Toryama just being tired and basically making stuff up as he went along.

The first few issues of the Dragonball comic book started out as a comedy, which was actually very self-aware and even poked fun at itself, but after a while it took another detour going into a darker place. The Dragon Balls which started off as mere setups for jokes, became sort of the Deus Ex-Machina, if you will, of the series.

This was OK in the context of the early slapstick, action-packed yet harmless adventures, however, once Dragonball got into actual serious territory, the powers of the Dragon Balls still remained in that realm of outright sillyness that stuck out like a sour thumb.

Especially when characters started dying left and right, since you can bring anybody back to life, death in this comic book, stopped being tragic and simply turned into a minor inconvinience.

And when you think about it? Wouldn't using the Dragon Balls to simply make a threat dissapear be your first priority!? Oh, no, f*** that, let's wait and train for 3 years or so and settle this in a duel and hope for the best. Some world saviors these guys are...

Speaking of world saviors, let's get into the characters themselves, for one, kid Goku was a laugh riot, though I don't think even the dumbest hillbilly wouldn't be able to tell genders apart, but anyway, the thing that irks me is that Goku then gets married to a woman who he barely knows, just for a promise that he didn't really understand.

The US dub is hilarious because it tries to make it sound that they actually like each other and the filler that was thrown in to flesh out their relantionship. It was desperate. None of this is in the actual japanese dub, "Oh, that was a promise... so... wanna get hitched?".

Hell, even Dragonball Evolution, a God-awful adaptation managed to have a more serious and better constructed portrayal of how Goku and Chi Chi's characters would work out.

Patapwn

Lol @ people who think the Japanese music was good. Soulless generic symphony garbage over the content of DBZ is just hilarious... in a bad way. Same with Japanese dubs using high pitched women to voice men. smh

Bowflex

To everyone saying that the American dub is superior, let me ask you this: which version did you become acquainted with when you first started watching the show? You'd be surprised how much nostalgia governs your opinions on things.

I got hooked on DBZ, as many of us did, from watching it on Cartoon Network. Once the series stopped at the Ginyu saga is when I made the switch to watching it subbed. I had horrendous bootleg copies; recordings of recordings of recordings. Even then, as a teenager, I came to prefer the show in Japanese, even after the localization continued.

Malajax

IpsoFacto said:
This is a good topic that I would like to chip in and here's my two cents on the Dragonball comic book.

It is simply terrible. Much of it seems to do with Toryama just being tired and basically making stuff up as he went along.

The first few issues of the Dragonball comic book started out as a comedy, which was actually very self-aware and even poked fun at itself, but after a while it took another detour going into a darker place. The Dragon Balls which started off as mere setups for jokes, became sort of the Deus Ex-Machina, if you will, of the series.

This was OK in the context of the early slapstick, action-packed yet harmless adventures, however, once Dragonball got into actual serious territory, the powers of the Dragon Balls still remained in that realm of outright sillyness that stuck out like a sour thumb.

Especially when characters started dying left and right, since you can bring anybody back to life, death in this comic book, stopped being tragic and simply turned into a minor inconvinience.

All valid criticisms. There are very few fans that would deny these claims

And when you think about it? Wouldn't using the Dragon Balls to simply make a threat dissapear be your first priority!? Oh, no, f*** that, let's wait and train for 3 years or so and settle this in a duel and hope for the best. Some world saviors these guys are...

This was addressed at the very beginning of the "Z" portion. Shenlong couldn't grant wishes beyond the power of it's creator (Kami or Dende depending on the time). Something to that effect anyway.

Speaking of world saviors, let's get into the characters themselves, for one, kid Goku was a laugh riot, though I don't think even the dumbest hillbilly wouldn't be able to tell genders apart, but anyway, the thing that irks me is that Goku then gets married to a woman who he barely knows, just for a promise that he didn't really understand.

The US dub is hilarious because it tries to make it sound that they actually like each other and the filler that was thrown in to flesh out their relantionship. It was desperate. None of this is in the actual japanese dub, "Oh, that was a promise... so... wanna get hitched?".

Hell, even Dragonball Evolution, a God-awful adaptation managed to have a more serious and better constructed portrayal of how Goku and Chi Chi's characters would work out.

That's just Goku though. A lot of things he did were completely illogical. From another perspective, that's kinda how an arranged marriage works. People get along just fine like that.

To say that DB was awful because of these things would be to say that most shonen manga/anime are awful. All of your criticisms are indicative of pretty much every shonen property today. It's probably not your thing.

Lol @ people who think the Japanese music was good. Soulless generic symphony garbage over the content of DBZ is just hilarious... in a bad way. Same with Japanese dubs using high pitched women to voice men. smh

The dub of DBZ is so much better than the original that it's not even funny.

Thank god for Falcouner.

wat

Wheeljack539

Gold Member
Takao said:
you guys are all wrong it's all about recycled megaman and monster rancher music

That's the UK version (prior to Big Green dub).

Personally, I do like the Faulconer score. I saw Dragonball when it first aired in 1995, and then watched both DBZ seasons 1 & 2 in 1996 & 1997. Afterwards a friend of mind who had satellite tv found and taped spanish DBZ, amazingly enough, around where Season 2 left off. So for two years before Season 3 came out in 1999, I had watched from Goku vs Jeice and Burter to Perfect Cell in spanish with the original music.

I was... less that impressed. Not to say that I didn't think it was bad, but it didn't help that alt.fan.dragonball and other forums used to fucking hype the shit out of original score (some saying at points they cried as the music was so good) to the point that my expectations ended up being too high and fell pretty damn flat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom