• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CVG: Sony exec cautious about releasing too many HD remasters

AniHawk

Aside from the cost argument (which is really a temporary issue for a potential buyer), it just seems like more of a feel thing to me for you. Jumping from 480p to 720p is a smaller jump than jumping to 1080p on a modern TV set, and many of the remasters being released today also double (or triple...) the game's framerate, which has very real effects on gameplay.

Why not just wait until the price hits a point you are comfortable with? Then you can also wait two years and that should take care of that complaint as well.

This doesn't really seem different to me than the GoTY trend from--well, from like forever-- except now you get technical enhancements as well. I really don't see the issue.

I'm OK with putting PS4 edition on the box. Or even GOTY edition. I also support putting Terminally Fucked on all Vita related materials.

the value thing was created by these same companies last gen. final fantasy x and x-2 are $40, and the not-a-year-old tomb raider was $60 on its lonesome. god of war was $40 when it had two games as part of the package, but the last of us is $50 by itself. at least ubisoft had the good sense to make rayman legends $40 when they ported it to newer systems. i feel like the problem shouldn't be with me when it was these companies who set the precedent with these updates in the first place.

i really think that for me the issue is the name and the lack of backwards compatibility. maybe if there were goty editions coming out for the ps3 as well, or some cross-buy program included (including season passes and dlc and what have you), it would feel less like a shallow money-grab. it's the sort of thing i sincerely push against.

I think the ultimate issue in regards to backwards compatibility is that it generally ends up being too expensive to include in consoles. The whole reason for the switch to x86 was to have a relatively stable hardware configuration that is able to allow for the next generation PlayStation and Xbox to play PS4 and XB1 games respectfully since x86 is what PCs use... This is assuming consoles don't switch to ARM in the next generation. I would love to see emulation of PS1 & PS2 games in both physical and digital forms though to show that Sony is still interested in it, but had problems with PS3 specifically.

and i have zero reason to trust these companies that backwards compatibility will be a thing in the future if the standard console model exists. there has been no indication to me that hardware manufacturers are loyal to a specific hardware configuration.

Sotha_Sil

4A has written the book on remastering with Metro Redux. I have no problem with that kind of product. I'm day one on that. Simple 60fps updates are bargain bin material for me.

Cross-play/buy and I'm fine with it. I'd prefer to see that talent going elsewhere, though.

Edit: Also, don't make it such a big deal.

the value thing was created by these same companies last gen. final fantasy x and x-2 are $40, and the not-a-year-old tomb raider was $60 on its lonesome. god of war was $40 when it had two games as part of the package, but the last of us is $50 by itself. at least ubisoft had the good sense to make rayman legends $40 when they ported it to newer systems. i feel like the problem shouldn't be with me when it was these companies who set the precedent with these updates in the first place.

i really think that for me the issue is the name and the lack of backwards compatibility. maybe if there were goty editions coming out for the ps3 as well (including season passes and dlc and what have you), it would feel less like a shallow money-grab. it's the sort of thing i sincerely push against.

I mean I agree that the prices are way too high and I would never pay more than 20 bucks for any of these things. That just means I'll wait until the bomba sales. That doesn't mean I don't actually want them to release.

says the company that released more remasters and ports than any other company

This is the original post. If you want to prove this true, you need to go back and look at every port done for any other system including Nintendo, Sega, EA, Square Enix. If you want to make the claim that Sony released a lot of HD remasters PS3 than ok, but what's the relation to this topic of the PS4 being seen as too similar?

Dead Man

If it's games that are genuinely good games and it's early in the current gen, I'm all for HD remasters. Later on I prefer to see new games.

AniHawk

If it's games that are genuinely good games and it's early in the current gen, I'm all for HD remasters. Later on I prefer to see new games.

and this is the other thing - i actually want the opposite of this to happen. the start of the gen is when i want new ideas to be explored and people to take risks. petey was a really great example of this! we should have that happening all the time, every day, for at least a year. once the generation is a couple years old, revisit some old favorites and give them more time than a year to actually update them and fit them into the modern game world.

tumblr_mlsd1oS6LF1ryzizgo1_500.gif

Seriously, Capcpom.

They just need to annonce it , so i can pre order it

After god how many hours i'm still not satisfied.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I don't agree that this creates a perception problem. I suspect that people who care that game X was released on console Y in the past are the core. It is hard for me to believe that the audience that buys annualized sports games and annualized sequels to Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed is particularly worried about a "rehash" feeling. That makes no sense.

There continues to be bizarre sentiment against remasters in some quarters. On the whole, the ones done well seem to sell well and review well. They give people an opportunity to play games they either missed out on or want to play again in better quality. Giving games like Puppeteer another chance at success is a good idea. Anyone who is complaining about how this makes the PS4 feel like a PS3 has a serious solipsism issue-- there are other people out there that want to play these games.

I don't and won't understand this. To me this quote is clearly meant to placate message board denizens.

edit: Optimally, because backwards compatibility is not available, I would like every title to be available for purchase optimally. Obviously there are serious constraints from stopping this from happening, but to me this seems like the optimal outcome.
I don't know if I ever agreed with a MOD so much.

and this is the other thing - i actually want the opposite of this to happen. the start of the gen is when i want new ideas to be explored and people to take risks. petey was a really great example of this! we should have that happening all the time, every day, for at least a year. once the generation is a couple years old, revisit some old favorites and give them more time than a year to actually update them and fit them into the modern game world.

Yes, but it's understandable with current budgets as they are, that risks have become a lot riskier with smaller userbases.

Dead Man

It's not like a I want no new games, but HD remasters are easier to get out than whole new games, so they can fill gaps that will exist anyway early in the gen. Later in the gen there are less gaps in the release schedule where a remaster won't take the place of a new game.

I always prefer new games, but since there are droughts and a slow accumulation early in gens that is when I want the remasters to be released.

antitrop

Not one of those is a Remaster. Seriously. That'd be like calling the current-gen versions of cross-gen games a Remaster.

How is Flower not an HD Remaster? They upped the res from 720 to 1080p and the framerate from 30 to 60, and enhanced the physics and improved the particle effects.

It's such a pedantic, pointless differentiation, anyway. Is the difference merely some unquantifiable amount of effort that goes into them?

Agreed, here.

All of these "remasters" (HD-er up-ports in some cases) are coming during the time when I like to see the most experimentation. The fact that so few new games are coming out gives me the feeling that somehow this new generation took them by surprise, or that games are still taking too long to make.

Game Guru

and i have zero reason to trust these companies that backwards compatibility will be a thing in the future if the standard console model exists. there has been no indication to me that hardware manufacturers are loyal to a specific hardware configuration.

Well then, just stick to PC for your games since it has the best backwards compatibility. Certainly, I rarely buy digital games for consoles, while I have a huge digital library of PC games. Conversely, modern physical PC games may as well be coasters once they are installed to PC, so I rarely buy a physical PC game, but I'll gladly buy a physical console game

AniHawk

Well then, just stick to PC for your games since it has the best backwards compatibility. Certainly, I rarely buy digital games for consoles, while I have a huge digital library of PC games. Conversely, modern physical PC games may as well be coasters once they are installed to PC, so I rarely buy a physical PC game, but I'll gladly buy a physical console game

that's basically what's happening. i prefer having console versions of things, but knowing that it's not a sure thing that stuff on the psn store will transfer from gen to gen, i think i'll stick to steam.

AniHawk

It's not like a I want no new games, but HD remasters are easier to get out than whole new games, so they can fill gaps that will exist anyway early in the gen. Later in the gen there are less gaps in the release schedule where a remaster won't take the place of a new game.

I always prefer new games, but since there are droughts and a slow accumulation early in gens that is when I want the remasters to be released.

it's baffling to me that sony sought it fit to make the last of us, gran turismo 6, and puppeteer all ps3 games. surely they could have at least prepared some sort of cross-gen effort for these titles, or made one of them a reason why you'd want to buy a new console. if they wanted to fill gaps, there were other ways to do it.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
They don't just spring out of the ether, you know.

The big tentpole summer release for the PS4 was a port of a game from last year. They need to do better.

ANd you need to realize that games just cant ne released with the flip of a switch. Good game development takes time.

Its not like if TLoU wasn't released then all of the sudden some new game would have appeared.

Oh then again....why am I even bothering to repeat this because its the same crap that gets repeated over and over again.

AniHawk

Agreed, here.

All of these "remasters" (HD-er up-ports in some cases) are coming during the time when I like to see the most experimentation. The fact that so few new games are coming out gives me the feeling that somehow this new generation took them by surprise, or that games are still taking too long to make.

that's what i love about petey. it's obviously a small budget-production compared to other games, but it feels and plays like a complete package. we should be getting those out like crazy - bring back the middle-tier that was unceremoniously killed off.

of course that won't happen because it's more competition for the decreasing amount of giant publishers.

antitrop

that's what i love about petey. it's obviously a small budget-production compared to other games, but it feels and plays like a complete package. we should be getting those out like crazy - bring back the middle-tier that was unceremoniously killed off.

of course that won't happen because it's more competition for the decreasing amount of giant publishers.

Well, Ubisoft is on the right track with their $15 stuff like Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, Far Cry: Blood Dragon, and Child of Light.

Wish other major publishers like EA and Activision would follow suit. That might be about as mid-tier as we're gonna get.

evildose

Neo Member
it's baffling to me that sony sought it fit to make the last of us, gran turismo 6, and puppeteer all ps3 games. surely they could have at least prepared some sort of cross-gen effort for these titles, or made one of them a reason why you'd want to buy a new console. if they wanted to fill gaps, there were other ways to do it.

They can get twice the money for staggering the release. Not to mention even more money in added DLC for the redone games. Although I, myself, do not think remasters are justified for games that aren't at least a few years old, it does makes sense from a business perspective.

I feel like what you're talking about, despite it being from Ubisoft, was something I really liked about ZombiU. It's rough in a lot of ways but it also felt pretty interesting, and it clearly didn't have a super-long dev cycle. Excite Truck was another game like that, clearly not a AAA effort, but damn if it wasn't one of my favorite games last gen.

I think I missed petey. What's that?

AniHawk

I feel like what you're talking about, despite it being from Ubisoft, was something I really liked about ZombiU. It's rough in a lot of ways but it also felt pretty interesting, and it clearly didn't have a super-long dev cycle. Excite Truck was another game like that, clearly not a AAA effort, but damn if it wasn't one of my favorite games last gen.

I think I missed petey. What's that?

it's my name for the 'p.t.' playable teaser for silent hills. it annoys my friend so i thought i would bring it into the dream world.

AniHawk

Well, Ubisoft is on the right track with their $15 stuff like Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, Far Cry: Blood Dragon, and Child of Light.

Wish other major publishers like EA and Activision would follow suit. That might be about as mid-tier as we're gonna get.

i agree. in the interest of keeping games as products, i would be nice if these were retail games too, like ducktales remastered edition.

Madness

The last of us remastered OT begs to differ. A lot of people in that thread did not play it on PS3 and bought a PS4 this time around. TLOUR was the perfect thing to do for the people who switched consoles this time around.

Yup, it was released late enough that it was the perfect candidate for a quick remaster. Probably because tons of Xbox, now ps4 owners never played it and were dying to do so.

Another good idea of remasters is what 343 is doing for Halo. Not only has it been exactly ten years and two console generations, but updating the visuals, animations, CGI helps build and familiarize the story and characters for future games like Halo 5. So if Arbiter is back in halo 5, anyone who plays Halo 2 Anniversary will have him in mind.

Shin-Ra

This makes perfect sense, doesn't it? Games lose their value over time. A highly successful recent game that's maintained its price on the original platform, plus DLC of varying ages is more valuable than two or three much older games that mostly live in the bargain bins.

AniHawk

This makes perfect sense, doesn't it? Games lose their value over time. A highly successful recent game that's maintained its price on the original platform, plus DLC of varying ages is more valuable than two or three much older games that mostly live in the bargain bins.

games go into the bargain bin months after release now. by the time tomb raider was out on xb1 and ps4, it was already $30 on the original platforms. the last of us held its value better, and what was included in the remastered version actually makes it less of an issue.

i think it's really a combination of expectations, naming conventions, and the loss of consumer-friendly features that make the whole thing a mess.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
How is Flower not an HD Remaster? They upped the res from 720 to 1080p and the framerate from 30 to 60, and enhanced the physics and improved the particle effects.

It's such a pedantic, pointless differentiation, anyway. Is the difference merely some unquantifiable amount of effort that goes into them?

Whatever Flower is, it was free if you already owned it on PS3 so there is literally no defensible reason to complain about its existence or count it among the indicators of a "bad" trend. Same for Journey. Pad those lists some other way, folks.

I'm glad they are aware of this.

They've already announced more than enough HD re-releases.

We need new games.

I just wish there was some way we could have both... But alas it's impossible because enhanced ports take just as much time and money to make as brand new games. C'est la vie.

I actually think Demon's and Dark Souls would be perfect candidates.

I don't even think Souls fans would expect a huge graphics overhaul. Just a buttery smooth frame rate throughout would be great.

Falk

that puzzling face
TLoU Remastered is far superior to the PS3 version. If the PS4 had BC it would still make sense to remaster it.

Uh huh, and if you take that within context of the rest of my post that you didn't quote, which is the broad, take-a-step-back-and-realize-the-game-industry-is-half-a-century-old retrospective, as much as TLoU:R is the best thing ever to happen to the game/franchise, in five or eight years time, TLoU:R will look dated. I'm all for updating games, but within reason. It's also within the realm of possibility when PS4 is old and done for the way PS2/Xbox is now that TLoU will need another form of rerelease if people want to play it. When is too much?

Assuming PSNow doesn't take off, obviously.

Valnen

When is too much?
Never. People don't complain when their favorite movies were remastered in 1080p. They won't complain when they're remastered in 4k or 8k either.

Games shouldn't be different. This "out with the old in with the new" mentality gamers and the industry itself seems to have really needs to go away.

RedSwirl

I still like to think part of it is because a lot of the games being remastered had no business trying to run on the 360 and PS3. A lot of big games since around 2011 honestly ran like shit on the old consoles, or were at least significantly inferior to their PC versions. Too many big games in my opinion made too many compromises in terms of AA, framerate (dipping into the 20's), and textures. Most of the games getting HD remasters fit into this category.

I still think the Crysis games need to get an HD remaster so console gamers can play them the way they were meant to be played. I also think the Far Cry collection should have been on the new consoles. Far Cry 2 looked significantly better on PC than on consoles, and Far Cry 3 ran like ass on 360. The Witcher 2 on PS4 and Xbox One would be a great idea of CDProjekt had the manpower for it.

Disagree, current gen hardware is making previous gen games run properly.

This guy said it better.

Falk

that puzzling face
Never. People don't complain when their favorite movies were remastered in 1080p. They won't complain when they're remastered in 4k or 8k either.

Games shouldn't be different. This "out with the old in with the new" mentality gamers and the industry itself seems to have really needs to go away.

Touche. I'm actually stoked for original trilogy, uncut Star Wars at 4K myself right now.

Hugstable

Banned
I want Sony to do some HD remasters much like how Wind Waker HD was handled by using that oppurtunity to fix issues with games and what not while making the game look much better. I really enjoyed Last of Us remastered, but alot of the issues that existed in the ps3 game was still in the ps4 plus pther little bugs/glitches. I want some Mark of Kri, Wild Arms and Dark Cloud remasters!

New and returning audiences, alike, are getting to play the best versions of last-generation's best titles. I really don't see a problem with it. A publisher releasing (or rather, re-releasing) a game doesn't mean one has to buy it. If people have a problem with "remasters," then they should simply save their money and/or spend it on something they find to be more worthwhile. No one is being forced to buy anything. If people want it, they'll support it - it's as simple as that. "Vote with your wallet" is a sentiment that should hold true at all times -- not just when we want it to.

I don't agree that this creates a perception problem. I suspect that people who care that game X was released on console Y in the past are the core. It is hard for me to believe that the audience that buys annualized sports games and annualized sequels to Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed is particularly worried about a "rehash" feeling. That makes no sense.

There continues to be bizarre sentiment against remasters in some quarters. On the whole, the ones done well seem to sell well and review well. They give people an opportunity to play games they either missed out on or want to play again in better quality. Giving games like Puppeteer another chance at success is a good idea. Anyone who is complaining about how this makes the PS4 feel like a PS3 has a serious solipsism issue-- there are other people out there that want to play these games.

I don't and won't understand this. To me this quote is clearly meant to placate message board denizens.

edit: Optimally, because backwards compatibility is not available, I would like every title to be available for purchase optimally. Obviously there are serious constraints from stopping this from happening, but to me this seems like the optimal outcome.

Agreed, 100%.

Top Bottom