• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CVG: Sony exec cautious about releasing too many HD remasters

I would probably buy more remasters of games I liked or missed out on last gen. Stuff like Dark Souls 2, Skyrim, Batman origins, Uncharted Trilogy I'd buy in a heartbeat.

The PS3 sold 15 million less than the 360 last gen in the USA, and probably about 30 million less than the PS2?

A lot of people skipped it, and ports are a good way to tempt them to go for the PS4.

I didn't own a PS3 last gen but I'm planning on getting a PS4 this gen, so I want remasters. Specifically Journey, which is a given that it'll get ported, and Ico/SotC, which are pretty unlikely unless TLG actually releases. I want to give TLoU a shot since people keep going on about it. I played the original Uncharted and thought it was alright, but I hear the second one is better so I'm hoping for a remaster of that too.

They will probably do Uncharted and Resistance and maybe that GT6 rumored PS4 version.

There isn't much else I can think of. Sly and Ratchet were already re-done in HD with the trilogy packs and will probably just go up on PS Now, or maybe an eventual PS3 classic download, if they ever get around to putting that sort of thing on PS4...

Shin-Ra

I want Sony to do some HD remasters much like how Wind Waker HD was handled by using that oppurtunity to fix issues with games and what not while making the game look much better. I really enjoyed Last of Us remastered, but alot of the issues that existed in the ps3 game was still in the ps4 plus pther little bugs/glitches. I want some Mark of Kri, Wild Arms and Dark Cloud remasters!
Tearaway would fall closer to that, with a lot of content being added and changed. Obviously that involves a lot more creative roles, more expensive development and risk.

icespide

Banned
They will probably do Uncharted and Resistance and maybe that GT6 rumored PS4 version.

There isn't much else I can think of. Sly and Ratchet were already re-done in HD with the trilogy packs and will probably just go up on PS Now, or maybe an eventual PS3 classic download, if they ever get around to putting that sort of thing on PS4...

I really doubt they'd do a resistance collection. there's also a whole series of PS3 ratchet games they could remaster

entremet

Remasters done well are a positive of this industry. Gaming as a medium has always struggled to preserve itself. Remaster help do this and also improve gameplay--graphics and performance are integral to better gaming experiences. Nintendo's OoT remake is night and day from its original in frame rate and graphics. It helps considerably that such a masterpiece has a definitive version. Shadow of the Colossus is another example. The game's performance suffered in the original platform. With the remastering, its original vision is now realized.

There many other examples.

Moreover, the fact is, less games are going to be made this generation of the AAA variety. Unless you have tons of time, there are some games last generation you may have missed or you want to experience with better performance--GTA5 is one for me.

So bring out more remasters. Again wise publishers are going to pick highlights of last generation. Not every game deserves a remaster, so there should not be a huge concern for those worrying about limited development resources spread out too thin. It's a net positive for the medium.

I'll be shocked if Sony doesn't release an Uncharted collection next summer. Will also be surprised if they release a Resistance collection though. Unless someone (don't think Insomniac would touch it again) is making a new one, I don't see the point. A GT6 port would depend on how the development of GT7 is going. If GT7 releases before 2016 then I don't see it happening. If it doesn't then it will probably happen.

Puppeteer is the obvious one to get a PS4 port. Depending on what exactly Hellblade is I can see Heavenly Sword getting one as well (although maybe not retail). We'll probably get a few more PSN ports as well for things like Fat Princess, Echochrome, etc.

ksdixon

What are the 'right' HD Remasters for Sony, so to speak? Thus far I can think of:

TimeSplitters HD Trilogy
SOCOM 2 Multiplayer HD

tanooki27

if they decided to stop releasing remasters right this second, I'd be glad. gtav be damned. next gen shouldn't have to hobble in on last gen crutches.

ksdixon

if they decided to stop releasing remasters right this second, I'd be glad. gtav be damned. next gen shouldn't have to hobble in on last gen crutches.

aren't cross gen games a bigger sin? we'll have 2016 games getting held back by old gen versions at this rate; either by having some form equality throughout all versions, or simply taking development time away from the current gen versions.

antitrop

I still like to think part of it is because a lot of the games being remastered had no business trying to run on the 360 and PS3. A lot of big games since around 2011 honestly ran like shit on the old consoles, or were at least significantly inferior to their PC versions. Too many big games in my opinion made too many compromises in terms of AA, framerate (dipping into the 20's), and textures. Most of the games getting HD remasters fit into this category.

I still think the Crysis games need to get an HD remaster so console gamers can play them the way they were meant to be played. I also think the Far Cry collection should have been on the new consoles. Far Cry 2 looked significantly better on PC than on consoles, and Far Cry 3 ran like ass on 360. The Witcher 2 on PS4 and Xbox One would be a great idea of CDProjekt had the manpower for it.
This is my viewpoint, as well. The last console generation lasted several years longer than the precedent, and the games suffered for it technically.

So now we're getting them the way they were "meant to be".

Well it's also hard not to notice the amount of remasters coming from Sony. But I don't think I've ever reacted along the lines of "UGH WHY DID THEY DO THAT" yet.

They can keep them coming they just need to choose wisely. I think an Uncharted 1-3 one would be the next most major "HD Remaster" project. Seriously those games at 1080p/60FPS would be the perfect way to get people hyped for Uncharted 4.

There's other stuff that I personally want though, like Motorstorm 1-3 and Wipeout remastered in 1080p/60FPS. I'd like to see Resistance 3 remastered as well as opposed to the whole trilogy since 1 hasn't aged that well (first PS3 game I ever bought and it's a launch game from 2006!) and 2 is just mediocre.

EDIT: Oh I forgot the potential of 3rd party remasters. Games like Crysis and Metro (which is happening) would really benefit from remasters as well.

No joke I read a comment on a random Joystiq article (I think it was Joystiq) that called the Playstation 4 the Remasterstation 4 :lol It was a horrible troll who said it because the other stuff he said was pure nonsense, but it's funny how it's starting already. I'm sure Sony and MS know not to go overboard with them.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
They should do HD remasters of games that were released 10 years ago on portable and modern consoles.

I mean, where's my HD remaster of Skies of Arcadia and Shenmue (I know not Sony).

Faustek

They should do HD remasters of games that were released 10 years ago on portable and modern consoles.

I mean, where's my HD remaster of Skies of Arcadia and Shenmue (I know not Sony).

Emulator :(

And even on emulators our current console lords apparently suck at making them...if they are even trying to -.-

No bullshit, Cash Guns Chaos must have left some permanent hearing loss from that fucking menu.

Look at this, this is insane, how did they think this was okay?

HAHAHA. When I played it, I did not let the XMB load the music, I quickly pressed X. If I wasn't playing it, I made sure to quickly pass it by on my list of games. I wish they allowed us to set the volume (or turn of the music completely) on those certain games with XMB music.

WavekSra

The only 'remaster' I want now is Demon's Souls.

image.php

Black Phantom Satsuki in 60 fps? oh my

Dambrosi

Banned
I, too, would be up for a Demon's Souls remaster, BUT:

• It would need to use the same servers as the PS3 version and be cross-compatible with it - that'd revitalise the player base on both consoles
  • It'd be nice if FROM/Sony Japan finished the sixth archstone, too. Make it PS4 exclusive as a unique selling point.
  • It mustn't take development time or hands away from Bloodborne, which is the true main attraction for PS4 at the moment. Put the B-Team on it or something.

I think that covers it. Keep everything else the same, with the obvious framerate and resolution upgrades applied, of course, and it should remain the modern classic the PS3 version is.

RedSwirl

Left 4 Dead 2 with four-player split screen (and all the content that's currently in the PC version, including the L4D1 maps and characters). Even at 30fps it would be the shit.

The irony being.... The likelihood is the majority of this gen, will be last gen rehashed.

The only next gen experience so far has been the p.t teaser and no mans sky, otherwise everything is an up rezzed version of an existing 360/ps3 game at a more stable frame rate.

Even new announced ip feels decidedly stale, the emperor has no clothes being the likes of the order, which are tired and rehashed before release.

DBT85

No issue with remasters provided they are the right ones and they don't take the studios away from the new games. TLOU was an obvious choice, as is an Uncharted set and some others.

I have no issue at all with any PSN type game being redone by the team that did it and released on the PS4/Vita. Those aren't going to detract anyone from buying big new IP which is what we all want.

Legendary games, games with crazy popularity or metacritic scores etc are fine. If some tit decided to remaster Haze or something then it would be too far.

Leyasu

Banned
Its easy money and Sony is a company in need of every penny. I don't mind them, and the halo MCC will be the first remaster I have bought.

I just don't want to see too many resources put in or new games put one the back burner so companies can do their cash grab... Because that is all they are

yurinka

Heavy Rain, Beyond, Wipeout HD, Puppeteer, Rain, Demon's Souls, God of War 3, Heavy Rain, Uncharted Trilogy, Killzone collection (Trilogy+Liberation+Mercenary) and after the big success of Driveclub: Motorstorm Trilogy. And from the 3rd party ask for MGS4, Ultra Street Fighter IV and FFVII Remake.

All in 1080p 60fps, crossplay for the online, with an option to import savegames from your PS3 savedata cloud.

Just don't release them all at the same time, release them like 6 months before their sequels, or 6 months after their team had a big PS4 success.

I, too, would be up for a Demon's Souls remaster, BUT:

• It would need to use the same servers as the PS3 version and be cross-compatible with it - that'd revitalise the player base on both consoles
  • It'd be nice if FROM/Sony Japan finished the sixth archstone, too. Make it PS4 exclusive as a unique selling point.
  • It mustn't take development time or hands away from Bloodborne, which is the true main attraction for PS4 at the moment. Put the B-Team on it or something.

I think that covers it. Keep everything else the same, with the obvious framerate and resolution upgrades applied, of course, and it should remain the modern classic the PS3 version is.

The B-team is making Dark Souls 3 which is obviously much more important to them. They'd need to outsource it and I don't know if there'd be issues with publishing rights with 3 different publishers publishing it to different parts of the world.

yurinka

The B-team is making Dark Souls 3 which is obviously much more important to them. They'd need to outsource it and I don't know if there'd be issues with publishing rights with 3 different publishers publishing it to different parts of the world.
I thought Demon's Souls was a Sony IP?

Because I've had the opportunity to play some of the original versions, and I'm not totally sold on the way some of the remasters are being released, I'm happy to hear that they're not going overboard with them. It's great for people who missed out on last gen's stuff, but a wave of older experiences make me hesitate to get into the PS4.

Timing is a factor in this to me too. I side with the guys who expected newer stuff to come first, and remasters later in the generation. I was surprised about TLOU, but as good as people say it was, and how there was a big shift from 360 to PS4, it made sense. Maybe it makes a little sense if those newer ideas take time to build up, so we won't be seeing them for a while.

Well they can't tell 3rd parties what to do but when it comes to Sony's games don't all of these remasters eat into their PSNow push? Hypothetically, what's the point of boasting that you can play The Last of Us on PSNow when I can turn around and just purchase The Last of Us Remastered for the Playstation 4.

If anything I think their insistence on remasters is going to hurt PSNow in the long run if there are no games to push people to purchase the service.

Then instead of investing millions in PS Now why not just invest in remasters and working with 3rd party publishers to get their top selling games rereleased on PS4?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

I can only hope for a Resistance trilogy re-release.

Top Bottom