• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

D4 |OT| Dark Dreams Don't Die

zHCgFnV.png

That would have been cool to see live. Some great music in this game.

I'm surprised Sharapova wasn't in the game.
Is Swery in love with the tennis star or something? I'm in the dark on this.

Hell, I don't even know why he carries a stuffed chimp everywhere.

Twitter said:
swery65
35 minutes ago
I ordered Sam Adams, but they gave me Bud Light.... It doesn't make sense. #XboxD4 #Boston
First people harassing him on Twitter, now this. The man can't catch a break.

Yuterald

Swery is the best.

What's the story behind his monkey friend?

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall reading/seeing somewhere that someone on his team gave him that monkey doll. My guess is that maybe he carries it around when traveling away from home for some sort of comfort level/control? Maybe it reminds him of home? Could be totally wrong here, just the vibe/impression I get.

Replayed the game a bunch yesterday and now I nearly have all of the achievements. I'm even close to have full completion on each episode's collection screen. Just missing 1 object and 2 observations on EP1. Where is that fucker!?

Falk

that puzzling face
zHCgFnV.png

That would have been cool to see live. Some great music in this game.

JFYI, Access tweets may have hinted as much, but we're headed off to Taiwan for another show where we'll be doing D4 again. This time backed with an even bigger orchestral ensemble.

And no, the audio/video recording won't go to waste

not that its hard to get at all...but the dlc outfits count towards the achievement for unlocking outfits. So even if you wont use them, they are worth downloading for that, if you care that is

Daigoro

First people harassing him on Twitter, now this. The man can't catch a break.

that's harsh.

dammit. i think i missed one more more of the last set. i tried one night and the page wasnt loading properly, and i forgot about it. missed out on a few i guess...

thanks for the heads up though, reminded me to grab the Gears and Fable sets.

Montresor

WHAT, the DLC is free for only a limited time? Okay well I already have the Powerstar Golf, Killer Instinct, and Crimson Dragon stuff. I'll be sure to download the rest when I get home.

Also - I got 1200 points in the clover game! Woot. I'm liking this game more and more. Honestly it was completely ridiculous for me to be worried about stamina... There is so much food lying around on the airplane. And there is even a "shop" (and what a shop, indeed) on the airplane that lets you buy food.

Footos22

Did the prologue, dunno what to think really. When it ended i didn't feel like i had done anything at all apart from hover my hand over random objects and wait for a tick. Ended up using the controller as holding my hand up over things constantly in case i miss an observation isnt my idea of fun. easier to just wait for the y prompt. switched to kinect before the action segment with amanda as for some reason even though id do the controller prompts perfectly itll only give me good ratings.

wouldnt pick up the grab motion though multiple times. kinect gonna kinect. luckily i ended that segment bang on 75% for the achievement. will have to go back and do it again with the controller so i dont get a poor on the grabbing part.

Montresor

Finished up episode one and just started episode two. This game is soooo good. Instant-buy for anyone who has ever had even a passing interest in the telltale games. I.E. if you are someone that can say they liked Walking Dead Se1, or Walking Dead Se2, or The Wolf Among Us, you will absolutely love this game.

I'm excited for the "remastered" editions of those Telltale games, though mostly for the free 3000 gamerscore, lol.

Please Microsoft, greenlight a season 2. I'm loving the game so far.

Montresor

Why does the "Continue" button in the main menu bring me to the beginning of the prologue?

God I want to break this game. Twice in a row now!!!!

I already beat the game but I'm trying to mop up things in Episode 1. Whenever I finish my session and I return to the game, if I click Continue it doesn't remember any of my progress in Episode One. It just sends me to the prologue again.

Is it possible checkpoints don't save if you choose Replay > Episode One. If so, uuurrrrrgggghhhh! This is frustrating.

jgminto

Why does the "Continue" button in the main menu bring me to the beginning of the prologue?

I already beat the game but I'm trying to mop up things in Episode 1. Whenever I finish my session and I return to the game, if I click Continue it doesn't remember any of my progress in Episode One. It just sends me to the prologue again.

Is it possible checkpoints don't save if you choose Replay > Episode One. If so, uuurrrrrgggghhhh! This is frustrating.

Replay only saves your item data, not your progress.

Montresor

Replay only saves your item data, not your progress.

That seems like a poor design decision.

But thanks for confirming that. The best option is to just play the short prologue via Continue and then finally start the Episode One mop up, with the luxury of saved checkpoints.

yeah that's what stopped from playing it for the 1000.

Montresor

Does anyone know where to find Peggy's Letter #4?

Also, does anyone know what the song is that plays during the recap at the very very beginning of Episode 2? Gosh that song is just beautiful. This game has almost everything going for it. I'm really really glad I started to get into this properly after my initial lukewarm reception to this. Swery managed to build a fascinating universe with interesting lore in what's essentially a 3- to 5-hour point-and-click adventure. For example:
there are a lot of fascinating, unanswered questions regarding the bizarre Real Blood drug, time travel, the idea of changing events from the past, the identity of Peggy's father, and of course the identity of "D" himself
. I'm praying Season 2 gets greenlit.

yeah that's what stopped from playing it for the 1000.

I was frustrated just because I thought I was running into a glitch. It really made no sense to me that Chapter Select didn't have saved checkpoints. Now that I know that it's as designed, I simply just bypassed Chapter Select and started my mop up. Still annoying but I'm still on my way to 1000/1000.

edit: Found letter #4 - had to scour a random let's play video to find out where to get this: time-stamped youtube video.

Montresor

When does this come to the UK? Also is it 1080p/60fps?

I've never set my region to anything other than Canada the whole time I've had my xbox but the system is region-free, no? There's no such thing as "when does this come to UK" from what I know. It's a region-free console so you can go ahead and buy the game immediately. You may need to temporarily change your region to US and then change it back, but there are no regional restrictions preventing you from playing any game.

The obvious exception being if your console is from China, since Chinese XB1s have special region-locked consoles (I guess because that's the only way they were allowed to sell in China? I don't know).

Hubble

Having getting to the game, wow, really happy with it.

Love the attitude of the series, its presentation, from the Boston accents to the flowing dialogue that I daresay is better than the TellTale games. It's more of a universe and actual people talking fitting a story rather than the chip chops of Walking Dead. The characters have their own personality and flair feeling like real people than TT games. The story is great and the airplane episode, what a twist that makes sense. I was so confused at one point. The dialogue throughout the game is really well done.

To those playing with Kinect, it was frustrating because the palming was not working. I was of course mad on how an essential feature was broken. Thankfully, I fixed it and the Kinect controls worked really well with little hassle throughout. I had my Kinect mounted above my television, and when I moved it to below my tv, the palming worked fine, which was weird because the Kinect did show my full figure. It took little bit to get used to swiping to face different directions but after learning, it worked pretty smooth. Other than that, the Kinect controls work really well and is done really good. The game is definitely better with Kinect because it actually feels more of a detective game with it. The response is really accurate. In one scene, I was sitting down and decided to stand to perform an action in a boss fight, and there was no interruption and was impressed.

I got to the clover minigame and thanks to this thread, I knew of the clover achievement that I looked up when I got to it and the game unexpectedly took my whole afternoon but after little time, I got the highest achievement for it. I switched to the controller to do the achievement and right after, the game felt so weird without Kinect to the point that I actually wanted to use it. That shows how well Kinect is for this game.

Another thing I liked a lot is how you can use your voice for the dialogue options. I found this surprisingly more pleasant than using the controller. You have choices in the dialogue, but I have no idea why and can't explain it but I just rather use the Kinect to choose than the controller. It just felt more natural in this game.

Question: Do you have to hover over every item until there is a green checkmark or symbol or whatever to gain the observation?

I swear I checked every nook and cranny on the airplane to make sure of it twice, and I was shocked to see how much observations I missed (yes, I know you can get some during cutscenes).

For $15, the game is a steal. I finished the prologue and episode 1, and I would say I spent a good 7 hours being a detective attempting to solve a mystery, and Kinect helps accomplish these game goals with an episode left to go. So buy this game if you haven't and MS bring on more episodes. Being a fan of the TellTale games, I really enjoyed D4 more. It has more personality, better format, and leaps more than Wolf Among Us in solving its mystery. In Wolf Among Us, it doesn't feel like your unraveling a mystery like D4, so the potential is there for this to be the episodic title of the generation.

derFeef

I continued yesterday, such a great experience. I have fun hunting for every collectible, but I will never have time to go back if I missed it sadly. So after the airplane, there is still one Season left?

edit: Also my prologue achievement never unlocked :/

Is this game not supposed to install more than 66%? This might sound bizarre, but I've seen it go past 66 all the way up to 69 and then back down to 66. While playing Forza Horizon I keep getting "D4 stopped installing" messages over and over and it's annoying. It's been like this for days, btw.

Hubble

I continued yesterday, such a great experience. I have fun hunting for every collectible, but I will never have time to go back if I missed it sadly. So after the airplane, there is still one Season left?

edit: Also my prologue achievement never unlocked :/

Yes, one more episode left after the airplane. Why wouldn't you have time to go back? You can replay the episode.

The game is awesome and my favorite of the year so far. Just very refreshing and unique and miles ahead of the TT games with flair. I really hope for more episodes to come. It would be a day one purchase.

While playing the game, I think it is hinted at future episodes but of course this may not be a guarantee. spoiler alert:
While in the first and second episode, when examining the window its hinted at someone was watching you from there. In episode 2, it says with binoculars and that the person rushed off, and it even says "To be continued" possibly hinting at further episodes

Is this game not supposed to install more than 66%? This might sound bizarre, but I've seen it go past 66 all the way up to 69 and then back down to 66. While playing Forza Horizon I keep getting "D4 stopped installing" messages over and over and it's annoying. It's been like this for days, btw.

It should install fully. Maybe let it download without playing anything.

Falk

that puzzling face
There are other areas in the screenshot that suggest 1080p native with AA implementations in some cases and not others.

The windows and wires on the other hand seem to be artifacts from some of the cel shading processing. They're definitely bigger than a pixel across.

Top Bottom