• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dani Mathers (former Playboy model) may face jail time for invasion of privacy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apologies for my poorly worded comment, I most certainly understand the crime/prosecution is over publishing a nude picture without consent on the internet.

But jail time is ridiculously excessive, and reactions to this as "justice being served" is laughable.

Yes there should be a penalty but it's clear that this is a sensitive issue for people so it's being treated unfairly.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Of course there should be a penalty. That person should be paying out the ass for emotional damages and doing community service to help make her community a better place.
Her being in jail helps nobody except people who want to metaphorically poke her with sticks as she sits in shackles.

No you have to go to jail for that one.

Flavius

Apologies for my poorly worded comment, I most certainly understand the crime/prosecution is over publishing a nude picture without consent on the internet.

But jail time is ridiculously excessive, and reactions to this as "justice being served" is laughable.

Yes there should be a penalty but it's clear that this is a sensitive issue for people so it's being treated unfairly.

If she was 16 instead of 70, would you still consider it laughable?

Maybe it's not the best idea to argue for sentencing reform over some former playboy chick taking a stealth nude photo of someone's grandma and shitting on them on the net, i dunno

Shaanyboi

Banned

When you take a photo of an unbeknownst someone in the fucking nude, and then start distributing it, all for some fucking goof? No. That's some fucking jailtime.

It's not like she'd be going to some supermax for violent offenders.

Have you thought about the emotional and psychological damage to the 70 year old woman now that her naked body and face is all over the internet? This is to make an example for the future that there are consequences. She rightly deserves compensation.

Pick another hill to die on about sentencing and jailing, though.

Is this woman serving jail time proper compensation? Will this truly make the old woman feel better? Will this make the offender repent for her sins, as opposed to all the tremendous backlash she's already received or doing community service?

Only this old woman should be the one wishing for her to be jailed. For people that don't even know her to say she actually deserves it is a bit ridiculous.

jph139

Pick another hill to die on about sentencing and jailing, though.

God, I hate this argument.

Yes, she's a shitstain if a person. Obviously. But just because someone is awful doesn't mean they're not entitled to a fair and just punishment. You can't pick and choose who "deserves" excessive sentencing.

Kthulhu

Is this woman serving jail time proper compensation? Will this truly make the old woman feel better? Will this make the offender repent for her sins, as opposed to all the tremendous backlash she's already received or doing community service?

Only this old woman should be the one wishing for her to be jailed. For people that don't even know her to say she actually deserves it is a bit ridiculous.

You can't just let her of the hook. I think 6 months is a bit much, but she won't be a felon, and I'm sure they either won't give her the full sentence and/or let her out in good behavior.

You should have read the reason why her defence is being denied. She still showed no remorse for her actions, so the criticism didn't affect her. Her post-criminal behaviour was taken into account for this decision.

What the hell at so many people saying "good" and "no sympathy".

It's jail... For... Body shaming. This is some Brave New World utopian/dystopian society shit.

Swap "ex playboy model" for "man" and make it "Man takes photo of woman nude in change room and posts it online"

Now do you think that guy should face jail? If yes, then why not this woman?

Yes, she's a shitstain if a person. Obviously. But just because someone is awful doesn't mean they're not entitled to a fair and just punishment. You can't pick and choose who "deserves" excessive sentencing.

What do you consider a fair sentence for her actions

Ceres

Banned

Yes, she deserves it. Because she illegally took invasive photos and posted content publicly just for the lolz.
And her immediate defense was that it was meant to be sent directly to a specific person. Guess what, that's still illegal.

Explain how this is not a fair and just punishment, and is excessive especially given the fact that the perpetrator doesn't show remorse even now.

drumlord

You can't just slap a fine on things like this. That has the effect that rich people can take nude pics of old ladies and poor people can't. Even if the fine is percentage of wealth based like some countries, it would still disproportionately punish the poor. This offender already can likely afford a better attorney than most people and she's a woman, making it much less likely she will get a significant penalty. Let that be the counterbalance to the potential six months in jail.

jph139

What do you consider a fair sentence for her actions

Hefty fine, community service. Ideally I'd like to have her take classes about how violations of privacy like this can hurt people (similar to DUI perps), but I doubt those exist.

Will this "fix" her? I doubt it. But I don't see how jail would.

Explain how this is not a fair and just punishment, and is excessive especially given the fact that the perpetrator doesn't show remorse even now.

See above: if a huge chunk of her paycheck and tons of hours of her life spent doing menial, shitty jobs isn't enough to make her think twice in the future, I think she's too dumb to rehabilitate in general.

Do you honestly think she's going to find God if she's stuck in jail? Or is she just going to learn how to pretend better?

Hefty fine, community service. Ideally I'd like to have her take classes about how violations of privacy like this can hurt people (similar to DUI perps), but I doubt those exist.

Will this "fix" her? I doubt it. But I don't see how jail would.

See above: if a huge chunk of her paycheck and tons of hours of her life spent doing menial, shitty jobs isn't enough to make her think twice in the future, I think she's too dumb to rehabilitate in general.

Do you honestly think she's going to find God if she's stuck in jail? Or is she just going to learn how to pretend better?

Hefty fines mean jack shit if you're rich

Vamphuntr

This entire thing is gross. Dani for taking the picture in the first place, the justice system for how often it throws non violent offenders in jail, and this thread for the gross bloodthirsty glee over someone getting locked up in an awful horrid place. Jail should be the last resort, we are so fucked up with our sense of justice in the US. Dani should be paying a massive fine to lady she photographed and that be the end of it.

So your stance is that you can do disgusting stuff as long as you pay up a fine. If it was a poor hillbilly that took the pictures everyone would be chanting lock him up by now. Rich Playboy model? Oh well she shouldn't go to jail just pay money.

She'll find out that she probably shouldn't take pictures of other people and post them online. That's what she'll learn. Should take about 6 months.

GAF has a defense force for literally everything. It's incredible.

To be honest I don't care what happens to this woman. She's just some idiot who thought embarrassing an old woman would be funny.

Hope she didn't plan on doing any above board work in the future though

BlisterBrown

Neo Member
If she gets 6 months that's only 3 months with good behavior right? 3 months for posting a nudey of someone online without their consent seems fine to me. 3 months won't destroy you.

If she's a lost cause anyway then having her serve some time where she can't violate people's privacy and put nude photos of them on the internet for the world to see seems like the best we can hope for.

It's not like this image will ever just go away. Realistically she's not going to get anywhere near 6 months but that photo will be on the internet forever.

Obviously nothing has been decided yet, but if she does get jail time I'm completely fine with it. She violated the privacy of someone and that is a serious offense.

Now had she actually demonstrated some sincere remorse during this period, then I'd be more accepting of a lessened sentence or none at all* along with a ton of community service work/fines.

*I'd want to consult with the victim first before committing to no jail time at all.

Edit - it's not possible, but I'd like to see her banned from all gym facilities for awhile as well. If nothing else, I'd hope she's banned from the one where this took place.

all you have to do is throw in "she's onviously not mentally well" and this post would be full of bullshit to the brim

It's important that something actually happens as we begin to need a better conscience for these kinds of privacy invasions in the social landscape of infinitely reaching internet. Tough to some this may seem like an excessive measure, it would be much worse to stand in idle confusion with these situations, not knowing what to do and ending up doing nothing while people of all kinds have their lives invaded by docile pranksters causing more harm than can be remedied.

I don't know why this would even be a question. And I wish people would stop calling this a "bodyshaming" case. It's straight up invasion of privacy, full stop.

Oynox

On the beach and in public view is one thing

Change rooms have an expectation of privacy.

+ paparazzis usually photograph people of public interest which have to accept wider range of defamation or intrusion of privacy.

I guess they will settle the case out of court and the 70 year old will get a nice sum to spend the rest of her life.

I'm going to fall on the side of "let's not send her to jail over one very stupid mistake," but she certainly should understand that her actions were immensely cruel and traumatic towards a totally innocent party. I'm sure that it'll never happen again, given that she's likely lost a lot of opportunities because of this and has to fear for her freedom.

Seriously though, people need to calm down with this instant condemnation of every imperfect individual.

Catdaddy

It’s a misdemeanor, if this is her first time probably probation, unless the judge makes an example of her.

What definitely should happen is the woman she took of picture of file a civil suit for monetary damages, I believe I saw $1.0 million kicked around.

Goodstyle

If this were a man there would be zero defense for this. She's getting what she deserves, it doesn't matter how pretty you think she is.

If this were a man there would be zero defense for this. She's getting what she deserves, it doesn't matter how pretty you think she is.

Yeah. And I literally don't understand why that is making a difference for some people. If this were a man having taken a photo of a 70 year old woman, no one would have any issue with the thought of a six month jail sentence, let alone care that people were calling him bad names.

On top of that, 6 months is the maximum. Odds are she won't get that. If this is her first run in with the law, she probably won't step foot in jail.

I remember when it used to be normal to expect those who hurt others and break the law to be punished

She will be, but she isn't a danger to society and this is likely her first offense. Her career has already suffered from this, and it was certainly a revolting thing to do, but locking her up is only good for vindictive schadenfreude at this point.

I'd make the exact same argument for a man. We're too quick to condemn first time offenders period, especially those that pose no real danger to those around them. People make stupid mistakes, and we'd do well to preach the forgiveness we'd want in a similar situation.

Doc_Drop

I'm going to fall on the side of "let's not send her to jail over one very stupid mistake," but she certainly should understand that her actions were immensely cruel and traumatic towards a totally innocent party. I'm sure that it'll never happen again, given that she's likely lost a lot of opportunities because of this and has to fear for her freedom.

Seriously though, people need to calm down with this instant condemnation of every imperfect individual.

The rejection of the appeal found that she showed no remorse and hasn't changed her ways, she denies particular wrong doing putting it down to a mistake, and the victim is keen to prosecute to the full extent of the law. I don't see what's wrong with following due process to ensure things like this are less likely to happen in the future. Speak to the law makers if this seems too strong a punishment. Maybe 6 months (at most in likelihood) of minor jail time might help her to rethink her attitude towards other human beings rather than a fine and community service

She will be, but she isn't a danger to society and this is likely her first offense. Her career has already suffered from this, and it was certainly a revolting thing to do, but locking her up is only good for vindictive schadenfreude at this point.

I'd make the exact same argument for a man. We're too quick to condemn first time offenders period, especially those that pose no real danger to those around them. People make stupid mistakes, and we'd do well to preach the forgiveness we'd want in a similar situation.

If she didn't want to cause damage and danger to this woman, she could have at least blurred out her face. The fact that she didn't even consider that and doesn't show any remorse after the fact, shows she could be out for more damage against other people. Until consequences happen where a rich person can't just get out of it with money, these people never learn.

Syriel

What the hell at so many people saying "good" and "no sympathy".

It's jail... For... Body shaming. This is some Brave New World utopian/dystopian society shit.

Maybe you should actually read the OP before commenting.

Because what you say in this post is absolutely not true.

She is being prosecuted for taking (and sharing) naked photos of other people w/o permission.

We're at the point where internet bullying has gone to extreme lengths. People NEED examples of harsh punishment to make them second guess whether or not they should contribute to this sort of toxicity. I absolutely see this as a public good. We honestly need to come down hard on shitty behavior like this because right now it's pretty out of control.

I'm not defending her...I know what she did, but 6 months in jail...armed robbery, assault and armed burglary all carry a 1 year sentence. They're not of the same order in my opinion. Just fine the shit out of her, sue her for damages and give her 12 months of humiliating community service.
Just seems a drastic measure to give her a similar punishment as a violent criminal.

You're acting like jailtime is a foregone conclusion. Today's update means it goes to trial, which has multiple phases before we even approach sentencing which could include any of the items you've listed. However, it still looks like you're unclear on the charges here since you haven't walked back your 'jail time for shaming I don't get it!' post.

I think he gets it guys.

Guess not!

Hari Seldon

If she gets 6 months that's only 3 months with good behavior right? 3 months for posting a nudey of someone online without their consent seems fine to me. 3 months won't destroy you.

Yeah 3 months sounds about right. That is just enough that she will never, ever, ever do it again lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom