• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III [Import OT] Kindle the fire, one last time

mellow

anyone have a picture in english for bonfire options? i thought it was among the resources i'd saved but that's only NPC menus like andre and the firekeeper

I'm about half way into the game after
Pontiff boss
, and I'd rank it lower than DeS and DaS but better than DaS2 and BB.

The game suffers a lot from reused assets, reskinned bosses and very easy ones at that. The
forest and catacombs area
feels straight out of Bloodborne. The difficulty doesn't go up until you're quite far in and of course there's FPS issues all over the place. Other than that the game is good and feels like Souls.

Most of the bosses are also gimmick fights, which is disappointing.

Kinda disappointing :( Hype level diminished

Does anyone know if the trick used for Xbox russia where you change your computer region to russia and then buy the Xbox Live codes through the microsoft xbox store works for Japan as well?

Krigaren

Painful criticisms since these are things I was actually wondering about. Along with all the warping, hub area etc. the complete package doesn't really sound nearly as promising anymore.

The game plays and looks very good but it falls incredibly short on boss fights, that's my main complaint. And yes, you'll be constantly warping as no area leads back to the hub, at least so far.

anyone have a picture in english for bonfire options? i thought it was among the resources i'd saved but that's only NPC menus like andre and the firekeeper

Screen_Shot_2016_03_23_at_9_32_35_AM.png

Screen_Shot_2016_03_23_at_9_34_10_AM.png

And yes, you'll be constantly warping as no area leads back to the hub, at least so far.

That's what I was waiting to hear more about and it really kills a lot of my excitement to be frank. This is the complete opposite of what was promised and I felt so burnt by DS2 already that I can't help but have this 'better deliver above and beyond what was promised to make up for that shit' attitude towards DS3. DeS made it work because it was structured around it, why the fuck even give us the illusion of a seamless world like DS1 just to essentially make it a tease?

I mean, if there is no interconnectivity between separate areas halfway through the game, that's my worst criticism of the crutch of insta-warping come true. Shit, can't figure out how to DS1 it, well, alright, let's warp again, FIXED!

Anyone figure out how to swap X and O? I'd rather not get too used to this configuration since I doubt I'll be using it once the English version is out.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I feel alone on this, but I much prefer disconnected hubs (The Nexus, Hunter's Dream) than Firelink Shrine in DaS. I never liked it, nor did I grew any attachment to it.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Oh and no spoilers but watching the stream...The sheer creativity and awe-inspiring designs of the enemies....no words. Only Bloodborne had creatures this good.

vaniel

Neo Member
I just want to be clear before I try and do this.....

When you purchase the game on the XBO Japan store and switch back to US and download it, the game is COMPLETELY in English? I know the voice acting was always in English, but what about menus and items?

The few streamers posting here show their item names in Japanese, but I don't know if that is because they downloaded it prior to switching back to the US store or not.

So if I do this, IS EVERYTHING IN ENGLISH?

I prefer Bloodborne so far...

I wonder if they will make Bloodborne 2?

I just want to be clear before I try and do this.....

When you purchase the game on the XBO Japan store and switch back to US and download it, the game is COMPLETELY in English? I know the voice acting was always in English, but what about menus and items?

The few streamers posting here show their item names in Japanese, but I don't know if that is because they downloaded it prior to switching back to the US store or not.

So if I do this, IS EVERYTHING IN ENGLISH?

Yes

.... you lucky fuck

I feel alone on this, but I much prefer disconnected hubs (The Nexus, Hunter's Dream) than Firelink Shrine in DaS. I never liked it, nor did I grew any attachment to it.

Yeah, it never bothered me. Sure it was cool, but I enjoy open world games as much as I enjoy levels.

Also asset reuse is fine IMO, I mean I lived when Morrigan's sprite in every Capcom game was a running joke.

What I wasn't is a solid story, good PvP, and more of that glorious Souls combat. Shame to hear
some of the bosses aren't that hype / difficult, but maybe that's just us getting used to these games?

In your Accessibility settings, flip X and O.

Perfect, thanks man.
The game seems great so far. Only through a boss and a half but everything feels nice and smooth, the setting is beautiful, and the new weapons arts stuff is fantastic. Playing as a deprived so the club is doing considerable damage to everything around me. No idea how the other weapons are yet.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Has any streamer mentioned if the world is interconnected after the first few areas?

From the stream I'm watching, it's all interconnected, except for Firelink Shrine and the High Wall of Lothric. These two are separate, but the rest is one huge chunk of awesome.

Hixx

Can play while it's downloading on Xbox One (no patch though, so has to be offline) but I've stopped in the hopes that the kind of awful framerate in the tutorial area was down to it still installing.

I really hope it's not a sign of things to come.

I will never understand the obsession with connected hubs. Did people actually enjoy the tedium of walking though all those transparently connected paths back to Firelink Shrine?

Pontiff boss

The game suffers a lot from reused assets, reskinned bosses and very easy ones at that. The
feels straight out of Bloodborne. The difficulty doesn't go up until you're quite far in and of course there's FPS issues all over the place. Other than that the game is good and feels like Souls.

Basically exactly what I expected. Attaching Miyazaki's name to it seemed a bit suspect. No way any person can churn out quality games on an annual basis. I feel totally comfortable skipping this and waiting for From to launch a new franchise. I'd rather replay Demon's, Dark 1, or BB in the meantime if I get the itch.

Shinjica

Pontiff boss

Why i'm not surprised that this game is much easier than the other souls?

Finalow

Lol as soon as I got to the first bonfire of the first area after the firelink shrine or w/e it's called I found something like 20 summon signs.

Skulldead

I'm surprise because BB was not easy, and got a huge success. I don't know why they decide to change that...

Also that would make a big marketing hit with the streamer, "check them die all the time", which I'm surprise they didn't made

Im feeling like whoever designed the bosses for Ds2 did this game as well. So far the bosses ive seen(1st 3) are pretty vanilla in terms of difficulty. Nothing too special or jaw dropping. Hopefullt that isnt the case for the majority of the game.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

Your first Souls is the hardest. It's always like this every release. People bitched that DaS was too easy vs DeS. People bitched that DaSII was easy vs DaS. And people bitched that Bloodborne was easy vs DaSII

We are 4 games in. People are used to the gameplay now.

Mman235

Yes I wonder why someone's fifth Souls game isn't especially hard.

I'm surprise because BB was not easy, and got a huge success. I don't know why they decide to change that...

Outside the Chalice Dungeons and DLC I breezed through Bloodborne beyond one or two difficulty spikes, but that's because it's the fourth game in the series I played.

Timeaisis

Can anyone who has it give me some clarification on how classes work? Looks like classes give you a starting weapon and some starting weapon arts for that weapon. Does that lock you in to those weapons? Can you only use the art for that particular starting weapon? Can I change my mind later and pick up a different weapon like the previous games?

So
Invaders can use Estus, but at half the normal healing rate.

Neat.

Can anyone who has it give me some clarification on how classes work? Looks like classes give you a starting weapon and some starting weapon arts for that weapon. Does that lock you in to those weapons? Can you only use the art for that particular starting weapon? Can I change my mind later and pick up a different weapon like the previous games?

It does dictate your starting stats and equipment, but as in all Souls games you aren't locked to them. Pick a class that seems like a good fit for you at first, but know that you're free to branch out!

Jombie

Im feeling like whoever designed the bosses for Ds2 did this game as well. So far the bosses ive seen(1st 3) are pretty vanilla in terms of difficulty. Nothing too special or jaw dropping. Hopefullt that isnt the case for the majority of the game.

The bosses I've seen look far more polished than anything in Vanilla DS2. As long as I get a couple of O&S, Arrorias-quality fights I'll be happy.

Krigaren

My death counter if people wants to know:

Iudex
Vordt
Rotting Greatwood
Deacons
Wolnir
Dancer of the Boreal Valley
Abyss Watcher(s)
Yhorm
Pontiff
10-15, game really ramps up in difficulty here
Old Demon King
5 so far

Sorry if it's already been asked but there were rumours of a "casual" mode/difficulty setting before release.

Is it true?

It's the only way I'm gonna play this game.

Top Bottom