• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Doge

Unconfirmed Member
You should be able to summon a third phantom by using dried fingers, but that also allows an extra invader to come through too.

My friend was using that and we could not get the third summon to pop up through password. Is this a sure thing and we were just running into problems?

d00d3n

I have not figured out how to open illusory doors. I keep seeing messages with high ratings telling me that there's on in front of me, but neither hitting it or interacting with it works.

All illusory doors are opened by hitting them with a weapon in this game.

Robiin

Started deprived so I don't have any pieces of armor yet, so if someone could tell me what the thresholds for rolling are that would be great! I'm thinking I should up my vitality because my naked ass only carries a weapon and a shield and is already at 22% equip load!

Mandelbo

My friend was using that and we could not get the third summon to pop up through password. Is this a sure thing and we were just running into problems?

I think your problem might be to do with passwords rather than the phantom limit. Passwords were a bit sketchy in Bloodborne, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were here too.

Started deprived so I don't have any pieces of armor yet, so if someone could tell me what the thresholds for rolling are that would be great! I'm thinking I should up my vitality because my naked ass only carries a weapon and a shield and is already at 22% equip load!

70% and above is a fat roll, anything below is quick with a lower equip load heightening roll distance, I believe.

Milijango

The first half of NK is a waste of time. I've beaten it without taking damage, but it's just so random whether or not you get opportunities to deal damage. I want to fight the actual boss.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
That moment when you push triangle to use a blood-vial... That moment when you attack an enemy after being struck and wonder why your health didn't return... Praise the Mo- I mean the SUN! Praise the god damn Sun!

Adjustments aside, I'm digging this game. Big time. I gotta cal it quits for the night though; game won't let me progress any further without a complete instillation. I'd be mad.. but I do need to eat and rest... so I ain't mad.

Jobbs

Banned
Torn on which class to pick... Mercenary or assassin? Which one should i pick and why?

merc has a bit more optimized stats for what you're likely interested in doing with the char, but only slightly.

it doesn't really matter much but if you're anal I'd suggest merc.

tskeeve

Oh snap, I didn't realise that bleed scaled with Luck as well. I don't know the exact circumstances to the setup shown, but that does make it a lot more appealing.

Yeah. Bleed, Poison, and Toxin all scale with Luck -
makes it easier to buildup, does not add to damage
. There is also a staff that
allows your sorceries to scale with Luck
, making a Luck build potentially more versatile.

co1onel

I have not figured out how to open illusory doors. I keep seeing messages with high ratings telling me that there's on in front of me, but neither hitting it or interacting with it works.

People do this all the time with normal non-illusionary walls.

merc has a bit more optimized stats for what you're likely interested in doing with the char, but only slightly.

it doesn't really matter much but if you're anal I'd suggest merc.

It seems like the mercenary should be able to do basically anything the assassin can do, right? Since the attunement starts only 2 lower than the assassin's... Couldn't i easily do a mercenary/assassin hybrid?

Hypron

When you see a message, you should always remember this first:

tumblr_llts1oGD1E1qffxsfo1_500.gif

Jobbs

Banned
It seems like the mercenary should be able to do basically anything the assassin can do, right? Since the attunement starts only 2 lower than the assassin's... Couldn't i easily do a mercenary/assassin hybrid?

the only thing the class choice does is decide your starting stats and what equipment (and in some cases spells/miracles) you start out with.

the only "permanent" way it affects your character is if your starting class has higher stats in some categories than you need and you never raise them, therefore "wasted" points and a less optimal character.

assassin has higher faith and luck than mercenary, meaning those levels are wasted (unless you want luck for some reason, but currently there's no known reason to want to raise it).

you could use the faith if you built the assassin into a miracle caster, but in that case the int is wasted.

in other words, you should figure out if you want to scale int, faith, or neither, and then pick the starting class that wastes the least.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
6 bosses down, gonna continue tomorrow

Iudex Gundyr
- 0 deaths
Vordt of the Boreal Valley
- 1 death
Curse-rotted Greatwood
- 5 deaths
Crystal Sages
- 1 death
Deacons of the Deep
- 0 deaths
Abyss Watchers
- 4 deaths

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I feel like I'm underleveled for the abyss watchers. I'm about level 28.

Depends on what you're leveling, really. Also, if you're having trouble, there's an NPC you can summon for Abyss Watchers.

6 bosses down, gonna continue tomorrow

Iudex Gundyr
- 0 deaths
Vordt of the Boreal Valley
- 1 death
Curse-rotted Greatwood
- 5 deaths
Crystal Sages
- 1 death
Deacons of the Deep
- 0 deaths
Abyss Watchers
- 4 deaths

Deacons of the Deep
is laughably easy. Fun boss, though.

Corpekata

Banned
What determines the Hollowing stat?

The sorcery teacher, his "Draw out True Strength" ability, what determines when you can use that as well? It doesn't appear to have any downsides and is limited in use, but I can't figure out what is triggering being able to use it.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Packade showing up at my house

Can't wait to come home and see what it is

It's like Christmas

Every day is a new Dark Souls!

What determines the Hollowing stat?

The sorcery teacher, his "Draw out True Strength" ability, what determines when you can use that as well? It doesn't appear to have any downsides and is limited in use, but I can't figure out what is triggering being able to use it.

Your hollowing stat determines when you can use it again, and dying with sigils in your bag increases your hollowing stat.

Randam

Played for a couple of hours yesterday.
beat the tutorial and the first real boss.
kinda dissapointend, that there is only one way to go.
not like Dark Souls 1 with his 3 pathes from Fire Link alone.

and why do we have to warp back to the shrine to level up?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Played for a couple of hours yesterday.
beat the tutorial and the first real boss.
kinda dissapointend, that there is only one way to go.
not like Dark Souls 1 with his 3 pathes from Fire Link alone.

and why do we have to warp back to the shrine to level up?
Kinda like Bloodborne?

This game is so good. I thought bloodborne was amazing but something about the souls games has me hook right from the get go. Trick weapons were cool but Im glad this game gives us so many options again.

aravuus

I tried it, and it made the game run worse for me.

Significantly worse? Looks like it actually runs quite well for me (as in no noticeable drops in the first area), and it was a much smaller pain to set up than I thought it'd be lol

But it'll definitely be the first thing I disable if I start having problems in the future

Sarcasm

Some questions:

1. There is not a limit on mob spawning right?
  2. Switching to 2H via button hold and then L2 to activate a stance (which has some burst animation). You have to stay in 2H correct? Uses that manabar thing too. It didn't seem to change the attack animations but increases damage, am I correct?
  3. Luck is better in this series, but what is the difference between small gaps like 7 vs 11?

Iztli

So... my friend surprised me out of nowhere. Time for DS3?
QnNb.png

Sorry, I'm just hyped because I wasn't planning on getting it any time soon. Funds and stuff.

aravuus

Some questions:

2. Switching to 2H via button hold and then L2 to activate a stance (which has some burst animation). You have to stay in 2H correct? Uses that manabar thing too. It didn't seem to change the attack animations but increases damage, am I correct?
  3. Luck is better in this series, but what is the difference between small gaps like 7 vs 11?

1. Nope

2. What you activated was the weapon's weapon art. There are a bunch of different arts, so be sure to check out the weapon's description, it tells you what the art does. Some add minor buffs, some are just simple attacks, some are stances that'll let you parry or attack etc. Not sure what it was that you used, but if it's a buff (makes the weapon glow or shine or sparkle or whatever) you don't need to keep two-handing it

3. Probably insignificant. Aside from item discovery, luck affects how easily you inflict bleed (and possibly other debuffs?), but I would imagine you need to invest at least 5-10 points into it to see any big changes

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
what the flying fuck at that
naked guy outside of firelink
>_>

I was wondering why so many bloodstains lol

aravuus

The more I help people with the first boss, the more I love the music

It's just

better every time

Getting invaded ever 2 seconds is really getting on my fucking nerves.

Are you playing alone or with summoned bros?

Anyone know what's up with fog falls appearing around firelink? I can run right through them though...

It's loading, or at least thinks it's loading, the outside area. Bug, most likely.

Lyonaz

Some questions:

On 2. Every weapon type has a different L2 attack. The extra damage thing is Warcry from axes, clubs I think. You can check the item info to see what they do.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
One hour in. First boss was a lot of fun. There's quite a few secrets around the first main area if you're searching for them. It's been rock solid for me so far on PC. No crashes or anything.

co1onel

Anyone know what's up with fog falls appearing around firelink? I can run right through them though...

I assume it doesn't load the outside areas immediately to speed up loading times. Most people come back to firelink to just level up, buy items, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom