• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

OneUh8

I so want to be playing right now. Have to head to work then pickup my copy from Best Buy later. All I can think about is playing this game!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Vordt
was super easy, 2 bosses, 2 one shots. This is when you get super cocky and then get demolished later on lol

Frillen

No, but if you want to know,
getting to max level hollow (5 free levels IIRC) will cause Yoel to die and a new NPC to appear.

For min-maxing warrior is more suited to a complete STR build. Knight does better for quality/some magic investment. 100% block shield in first main area (after tutorial boss, but before 1st boss).

There's 2 before the second boss. One's a drop, other was somewhat hidden.

Thanks, I think I will go with Warrior then.

bounchfx

has anyone else had a lot of hard crashes around the firelink shrine? reloaded, it saved where i was, but hardcrashed again 30 seconds later. :(

Audioboxer

I would upgrade the starting sword, I had a lot of use out of it.

Lothric Knights
can drop a better straight sword in 1st area, if you don't mind some dex investment. It is a dex weapon I guess as well, although does okay on quality build.

slash3584

I'm totally getting bodied in this game.

I think after playing so much Bloodborne I'm having a hard time readapting to the usual DS gameplay.

Is threre a "trick" to those shield knights at the beginning? Same question for those surprise black sludge things.

I've been sitting here like a mook for about 5 minutes trying to retrieve latest calibrations.

Is this a known problem or just me? Do I have to start in offline?

Mendrox

I think after playing so much Bloodborne I'm having a hard time readapting to the usual DS gameplay.

Is threre a "trick" to those shield knights at the beginning? Same question for those surprise black sludge things.

Kick them. Black sludge things? If I would guess which enemy that is I would say fire. A torch works (does massive dmg), but otherwise no idea what you are talking about or if you mean the normal enemies that turn into Bloodborne enemies - just kill them beforehand.

Audioboxer

Cool I'll go back and get it. I like straight swords for high pressure bosses.

It has a higher critical rating, and IIRC AR starts higher. Looks a bit nicer as well for fashion souls. Going to use it on my pyro, but for now I've got the
Astora sword
fire infused. This is also in first area, but requires 12 faith and is quite well hidden. Don't want to spend too many early game levels on dex just yet.

Corpekata

Banned
Can anyone spoil me please where is the zweihander in the game?

Not sure if it can be found, but there's an NPC you can find early on that's a thief. Eventually he'll ask if you want him to go steal stuff, and he disappears for a while. Comes back, and sells it.

ElFly

Have I forgotten how spells worked in previous games or is this game fucked.

Cause raising my intelligence isn't raising the damage I do with the soul arrow. Which, ok.

But upgrading my sorcerer staff isn't doing more damage either!

What's going on here.

Dex compliments cast speed. Early game the deep axe or astora sword with fire gem infusion are decent. Axe doesn't require any stat investment, sword only requires 1 to go into dex. The Uchi is well known but requires a decent dex increase off the bat.

Later on probably something dex based, or from a weapon with faith scaling.

IIRC 20 dex plus the speed casting ring maxes out cast speed.
EMJynrO.jpg
I'm not good at this

Mendrox

Cause raising my intelligence isn't raising the damage I do with the soul arrow. Which, ok.

What's going on here.

Magic only really works with boosting rings, high INT (50+) and certain spells that are late game.

Sludge things:
Kill them before they transform, you won't even get to see the sludge thing if you do it early.

Mupod

Lothric Knights
can drop a better straight sword in 1st area, if you don't mind some dex investment.

using that right now. Also there is a desire sensor built into its drop rate just like the DS1 Balder Side Sword that it seems to share a moveset with. I had the entire set from those knights before I saw one drop, and I've found two more since then despite only killing 3.

The longsword's moveset is almost identical but the 2HR2 stab is gonna be so good.

Corpekata

Banned

Black Sludge = use fire. It does massive damage and often stun locks them for a bit in a "I'm on fire AHHHHH" animation that lets you get in a few extra hits.

Shield guys you need to "kick" with Analog Forward + RB or just bide your time / dodge around to their back, they'll all eventually have an opening

Is there anyway that I could play this game the way I did Bloodborne? Fast and upclose and personal? If so what build should I go with. I was thinking Strength/Endurance build.

krioto

I love it - taking some getting used to coming straight from BB, but great start thus far - beat crystal beast, first boss and katana guy. Love it

Audioboxer

using that right now. Also there is a desire sensor built into its drop rate just like the Balder Side Sword that it seems to share a moveset with. I had the entire set from those knights before I saw one drop, and I've found two more since then despite only killing 3.

The longsword's moveset is almost identical but the 2HR2 stab is gonna be so good.

Yeah it's awesome. Will probably main it on my dex/pyro a bit later on. Only wanted to put 1 point into dex for the sword I mentioned above, and now focus on some attunement, health and then int/faith to 20/20.

On my first knight quality build I was enjoying those knights armour for fashion souls but it requires a decent bit of vitality investment to wear it all with a shield.

I ordered this last night on Amazon thinking that the day of games selling out has ended but it seems that they sold through their original stock of the game. I chose one-day shipping and it still says this morning "Delivery Date Pending." Online rep told me just now that they were out of stock. How long does it take to re-stock this stuff? I've never had a problem ordering anything on Amazon before. Might just digitally download it if it's going to take until the end of the week to get here.

slash3584

Kick them. Black sludge things? If I would guess which enemy that is I would say fire. A torch works (does massive dmg), but otherwise no idea what you are talking about or if you mean the normal enemies that turn into Bloodborne enemies - just kill them beforehand.

Sludge things:
Kill them before they transform, you won't even get to see the sludge thing if you do it early.

Thanks guys! I'll try my luck later

Audioboxer

It's from the default pyro class.

I'm not good at this

Early on with pyro I'd just focus on str/dex to meet minimum weapon requirements. IMO points are better spent on attunement for slots/FP, health and int/faith. There's some decent weapons early that don't require any dex/str investment, or very minor.

You're not going to gain much from scaling this early, so minimum requirements/fire gem infusion are wisest whilst you bulk up your pyro spell damage. And a bit of health too.

dealer-

I managed to take two hits armoured up, but the host always dies nearly instantly and so do summons. Attacks take off like 20~30 hp lol.

I've read +1ing your weapons take you into higher co-op brackets? So I guess farming up high end weapons won't necessarily help much. Not sure how it works though. I seen one summon who came to help on 1st boss with what looked like later game armour and weapon. Probably a low soul level playthrough and refraining from upgrading weapon too much. He/she melted the boss with a weapon buff as well. Over in seconds lol.

Lol awesome. I haven't summoned once yet, I'll have a try now. Has it been confirmed that beating
the dancer grants you access to late game areas early on
?

Cob32

Lol awesome. I haven't summoned once yet, I'll have a try now. Has it been confirmed that beating
?

Props to anyone that does this at a low level. I got up to it last night the 'normal' way and found it to be the hardest boss so far. Really struggled until I finally beat it.

Audioboxer

?

Someone told me earlier in this thread it does, but all enemies there will 1 shot you as well. Still it'll probably become a twink/early loot maniacs dream. I can only imagine it will grant access to some sweet stuff. If you manage to do it though you deserve it all!

Neoweee

General Build Advice:
- Vigor to 25 ASAP.
- Endurance
- Strength (or Dex)
- 1H + Shield.

Totally seems like people playing it that way have a much, much easier time.

What's going on here.

The scaling for Sorceries is just fucked. It doesn't noticeably scale until you get to much, much higher Int.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
hmm I feel like putting 1 point in dex to try out this halberd... I mean 1 point is nothing in the grand scheme of things right?

The first boss before
Firelink Shrine
was a piece of cake....but God damn those
beast hollows (with that large black snake coming out of them),
I was dying like a guinea pig at the
High Wall of Lothric
because of that guy xD Is there any special tactic against them, because those fuckers have an answer to everything....I know that they're vulnerable to firebombs, but what to do when I'm out of those xD

Audioboxer

hmm I feel like putting 1 point in dex to try out this halberd... I mean 1 point is nothing in the grand scheme of things right?

No, you can always respec. 1 point is nothing. Just don't go too far off path just to try something as I'm not sure how early respecing opens up. Got a bit frustrated doing that on my 1st quality playthrough (which I've abandoned early). Went nuts to get a spear working, then found it boring. Although good damage, and it looked sweet, didn't enjoy it all that much.

Poke..poke...poke...meh.

Corpekata

Banned
Is there anyway that I could play this game the way I did Bloodborne? Fast and upclose and personal? If so what build should I go with. I was thinking Strength/Endurance build.

You will probably want DEX instead of STR. Most fast stuff tends to favor DEX. Not to say there's no way to do STR and focus on fast attacks, but it's rarer and will take longer to realize.

Audioboxer

You will probably want DEX instead of STR. Most fast stuff tends to favor DEX. Not to say there's no way to do STR and focus on fast attacks, but it's rarer and will take longer to realize.

Daggers have that cool sidestep which will remind you of Bloodborne, but man they are hard to master. Sidestep seems to keep working when FP is depleted, but I'm not sure to what impact. Possibly less i-frames.

Kazuhira

Off to a great start,
cristal lizard daddy kicked my ass so hard lol,i've killed the first boss in my 2nd try.
Also,the
dog knight boss was fun as hell,the sudden change of the music when you take half of his health made me sweat bullets,holy shit.

dealer-

Someone told me earlier in this thread it does, but all enemies there will 1 shot you as well. Still it'll probably become a twink/early loot maniacs dream. I can only imagine it will grant access to some sweet stuff. If you manage to do it though you deserve it all!

Would be fun for a death run! Going to have another go now, the rewards seem worth the investment even if it takes a few hours
probably days

Props to anyone that does this at a low level. I got up to it last night the 'normal' way and found it to be the hardest boss so far. Really struggled until I finally beat it.

Yeah, the mid/late game bosses get tough, as you'd expect I guess but the majority are really fast and have difficult second phases.

aravuus

Alright
Yoel
, thanks for the free levels.

I like the way Hollow Lord sounds, so I think I'll just get the Untrue Dark Ring so I can still look human. I assume Yuria leaves, dies or is otherwise inaccessible if I reverse the hollowing with the purging stone?

Mendrox

?

Yes it is possible and not that hard. Really easy on NG+ of course, but opens up way more things in the game at the begining. :p

Is it me or was the first intro boss super easy?

First three bosses are really easy. Even the first four (which depends what boss is your fourth), but after that the game will kick your ass here and there. :) I call them tutorial bosses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom