• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls series tops 8 million copies shipped (940K Japan, 7M+ abroad)

Rezae

Wow those are some crazy numbers outside Japan. Who would have thought that? I remember importing Demons Souls from Asia because nobody at that point was sure the series would ever come out over here. Good for them!

Bruno MB

Copy bump.

Here's the breakdown. I believe the left column is Japan and the right column is overseas.

l_5591551900861crabc.jpg

SteamSpy lists for each entry:

Dark Souls 1:
Owners: 1,942,592 ± 32,697

Dark Souls 2:
Owners: 976,458 ± 23,228

Dark Souls 2: Dark Souls Harder:
Owners: 248,659 ± 11,739

Bandai Namco Games reported over a year ago that Dark Souls II had shipped 1,200,000 units between PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

Now we get an update that puts the game at 1,960,000. This figure already includes the PC version, so at most the game could have sold 760,000 units on PC, and this assuming that the console versions weren't restocked.

It seems that SteamSpy numbers are a bit off.

Alo0oy

Banned
Kind of absurd how little it sold in Japan proper. Less than a million for the whole franchise? o_O

Dark Souls 2 did extremely well in Japan, the series started out slow but only got big in Japan recently.

For example, Dark Souls 2 in Japan sold about as much as ~40% of the PC sales worldwide for that game.

AlucardGV

Banned
now, let's see how many people defeated the first boss
i can only speak for playstation

Demon's Soul (US): Phalanx's Trophy:61.7% (this one has separate servers for each continent)
Dark Souls: doesn't have trophies for normal bosses so i'll go with the first bell, 63%
Dark Souls 2: Last Giant 75.3%
Bloodborne: Cleric Beast 71.9%

i don't have the remaster for ps4, demon's still the scrubstomper

how's the situation on other platforms?

Alo0oy

Banned
Bandai Namco Games reported over a year ago that Dark Souls II had shipped 1,200,000 units between PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

Now we get an update that puts the game at 1,960,000. This figure already includes the PC version, so at most the game could have sold 760,000 units on PC, and this assuming that the console versions weren't restocked.

Interesting, I always assumed SteamSpy was accurate.

params7

Banned
Japan just doesn't care anymore.

And to think Demon's started as a Japan exclusive because SCEJ didn't have faith in a worldwide release thinking nobody would like the game. Nearly opposite of that has happened.

I'm really glad FROM has found success. Can't get enough of them.

Caronte

1 million sold through in that timeframe this early in the generation is a really good number for a game like this. I sincerely don't know what some people are expecting.

For some reason I thought this game came out in Late 2014, not in March 2015. So yes, it's actually a good number.

Producer

And to think Demon's started as a Japan exclusive because SCEJ didn't have faith in a worldwide release thinking nobody would like the game. Nearly opposite of that has happened.

More like Yoshida thinking the game was shit. He sure regretted that opinion though.

Alo0oy

Banned

Demon's Soul (US): Phalanx's Trophy:61.7% (this one has separate servers for each continent)
Dark Souls: doesn't have trophies for normal bosses so i'll go with the first bell, 63%

I don't have the numbers with me right now, but based on deaths in Dark Souls 2. PS3 had the most amount of players, followed by PC, followed by X360.

Have there ever been any hints as to why Dragon's Dogma never came to the PC? Just doesn't make sense given they've ported everything else, hell it's a genre that belongs on the platform in the first place.

Grief.exe

That PC bump.

Has there ever been any hints as to why Dragon's Dogma never came to the PC? Just doesn't make sense given they've ported everything else, hell it's a genre that belongs on the platform in the first place.

Dragon's Dogma not coming to PC has been a complete travesty to Capcom.

The word of mouth sales from PC alone would have likely easily greenlit a true sequel. Instead they are bringing a bastardized F2P version over to try to drum up as much profits as possible for as little up front cost.

tbd

So a franchise enjoying moderate-great success isn't deserved because it's not your cup of tea? Interesting.

Not saying the guys behind it don't deserve a reward for their work but I like to put things in perspective and immediately think of all the games that I think are much better but flopped or will never be this successful. I also try to view the full effect and, as already pointed out here by a fan, the success of this franchise of course affects other games which isn't so cool for the people that are not into this franchise.

Dinda

Has there ever been any hints as to why Dragon's Dogma never came to the PC? Just doesn't make sense given they've ported everything else, hell it's a genre that belongs on the platform in the first place.

Because those PC's couldn't handle the super complicated Pawn stuff, no joke.

Rembrandt

Banned
Invasion mechanics, or atleast I dont know of any other game that handled it that way.
Watchdogs did something similar iirc

That and Dying Light had a similar mode. It's an interesting feature when handled right. I'm curious to see how to develops throughout the gen.

takriel

Not saying the guys behind it don't deserve a reward for their work but I like to put things in perspective and immediately think of all the games that I think are much better but flopped or will never be this successful. I also try to view the full effect and, as already pointed out here by a fan, the success of this franchise of course affects other games which isn't so cool for the people that are not into this franchise.

Which games do you think are much better? Just curious.

Knurek

Have there ever been any hints as to why Dragon's Dogma never came to the PC? Just doesn't make sense given they've ported everything else, hell it's a genre that belongs on the platform in the first place.

Capcom still hasn't run out of Resident Evil (and Megaman) games to port/enhance.
Once they do, Dragon's Dogma PC, you'll see!

Gbraga

Is that 1,200,000 not counting japanese sales?

elohel

all I can hear is the nexus music lol

man playing through these games was a blast :/ loved demons loved dark souls loved dark souls 2

I'm one of the rare that actually enjoyed all of the games

That's pretty funny actually. Just imagining all the ragequits in 1-1 at the red eye knight, lol!

napata

Are these new numbers shipped or sold through? If they are sold through then Steamspy is not necessarily wrong.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Great for them. It's still not the original game, which is what the poster was asking for.

Well yes, I understand.

The issue here is that they're unlikely to go back and port an existing game when they've fundamentally shifted their entire business model unless they end up doing and HD Remaster at some point, which could still be 5+ years away given how long it takes them to make those.

Shredderi

The only thing I can think of is that the code is a sloppy mess and that's the reason it's not on pc, like Red Dead Redemption. A great fucking franchise getting some well deserved numbers I see. Seeing as that PC is huge for this franchise they propably won't go all arkham knight on pc audience anytime soon with this franchise. Can't wait for DS3 but release the gameplay video already. Ain't no one got time to wait until gamescom.

Grief.exe

Capcom still hasn't run out of Resident Evil (and Megaman) games to port/enhance.
Once they do, Dragon's Dogma PC, you'll see!

Honestly, it would be the perfect time for a PC/PS4 remaster to drum up hype for the 'sequel.'

MT Framework being so salable and easily ported to x86, it should be quick and cheap on Capcom's end.

Honestly, it would be the perfect time for a PC/PS4 remaster to drum up hype for the 'sequel.'

MT Framework being so salable and easily ported to x86, it should be quick and cheap on Capcom's end.
You'd think so, but sometimes Capcom can't even spell their own name correctly.

Gbraga

Correct, the 350k+ sold in Japan on PS3 aren't part of the 1.2 million, the game wasn't published by Bamco in Japan which is why they can't use those numbers for their shareholders.

Then there's quite a difference, indeed.

As others have said, shipped =/= sold, but the thread title also says shipped, so...

EDIT: Removed Dark Souls 1 talk, brainfart.

Xiraiya

Good.

The souls series is the beginning of a mainstream developer & player mindset that I think we need to see exist in more games in the future. Other examples exist too but this the most popular one I believe.
I'm not talking about Souls clones.

I'm talking about clever and creative design, ACTUAL rewarding gameplay and fair difficulty that forces you to use your brain and intuition a little in healthy amounts rather than everything being overly and needlessly tutorialized and hand-holding.
Playing a Souls game feels like playing a game from the PSX or even SNES era, and I believe that was a healthier time as far as game development goes.

The last decade has been plagued with mediocrity engineered for mass appeal that we see repeat over and over.
I feel like we're at a point now where the number of people craving games made from simple passion and creativity means that stuff like focus testing and developing specifically to target audiences over artistic vision is going to prove to be less and less popular and practical.

That's just my opinion, but I'm actually really hopeful for the future of games in general regardless.

Watch Dogs, Dying Light both have online invasion mechanics. The Witcher devs say they were influenced by the Souls combat. Lords of the Fallen is basically a different developers attempt at the whole formula. Shovel Knight handles death in a very similar way. I know there are others and devs who have mention the souls games as an influence but those are the ones off the top of my head.

Aces&Eights

I'm proud to say I bought one of each of their games. Souls games are just so damn good. The only problem is that they have ruined a lot of other games for me. The combat is so tight and satisfying, the worlds so haunting and entrancing that when I play other games I get bored quickly.

DS 3 is going to be fantastic. Any word on Bloodborne DLC/Expansion?

Top Bottom