• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Jaffe: Herman Hulst pushed for playstation's Japan Studios closure.

Fake

It’s just a microcosm of a bigger issue. The western focus on cinematic games, The new gaas focus, and just cutting off your roots. It sent a bad message and we are now seeing just how poorly Herman has run his western studios to the ground.

Now he’s replaced Connie booth with his stooge from GG. The European takeover of Sony is complete. Japanese studios are gone. Us studios are making and failing at gaas games. Naughty dog is in disarray. Cory has spent 5 years on his new ip with nothing to show for it and worse doesn’t have it ready to go into production so they are doing dlc he himself said he would never do because he wanted to tell the story and finish it in two games. Bend has only revealed a logo after 4.5 years. Bp and sucker punch have been mia for 3 years. Media molecule almost 4 years too.

Things add up.

Good point.
Not to mention Bend helped ND with the remake to speed things up, but as the reports say, Bend want to make their own project.
Now we have the remake of HZD in production and the remaster of TLOUSpart2 in production...

Its a matter of time things started to get leak, probably after those people getting fired.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Not sure I believe any of this but if true, big kudos for PS studios for being against GaaS. I need more of the good stuff from them (not GaaS)

1, get high
2, boot up Spiderman 2
3, have a blast
4, repeat
Playstation will be in trouble without GaaS.

The market changed and Sony needs to adapt. They can't keep competing with just their AAA-blockbusters and studios like Japan Studios need to hit revenue targets or they risk layoffs/closure

We've seen it with Japan Studios, Zipper, Evolution and now MediaMolecule.

You can't run a business on nostalgia.

Alex Scott

Good point.
Not to mention Bend helped ND with the remake to speed things up, but as the reports say, Bend want to make their own project.
Now we have the remake of HZD in production and the remaster of TLOUSpart2 in production...
There is no remake of HZD, it is a remaster.

Killjoy-NL

Then let Bungie make that "one good one" and let the other studios do what they are good at: single player games.
The only thing you're going to miss out on are non-existent games on your wishlist.

And they're probably going to release those ~15 GaaS titles and once they got that going, focus on the most successful games and continue releasing singleplayer games.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I wonder how long the people living in denial about this gaas situation from Sony are going to wait to wake up and see the fire burning trough the multiple smoke signs that we had in the last year or so ...

And dont need to @ me because is always the same people in every topic with news about this literally beeing the doggy seated on the table in the burning room saying "its fine"

Meanwhile Im going to try and find the date for the next SP game from sony first party studios... oh yes.. I cant .. there is none.

" but but but sony only announce games close to launch now" ... really ?.... bullshit.
SM 2 - 2 1/2 years
God of war - 2 years
Horizon FW - 2 years

The last PS Showcase is the showcase everyone has been waiting for since before God of War Ragnarok releases. Those titles are the Phase 2 of PS5.

Now he’s replaced Connie booth with his stooge from GG. The European takeover of Sony is complete. Japanese studios are gone. Us studios are making and failing at gaas games. Naughty dog is in disarray. Cory has spent 5 years on his new ip with nothing to show for it and worse doesn’t have it ready to go into production so they are doing dlc he himself said he would never do because he wanted to tell the story and finish it in two games. Bend has only revealed a logo after 4.5 years. Bp and sucker punch have been mia for 3 years. Media molecule almost 4 years too...
harsh. but i'm not seeing any lies. add in extended development time, & you could almost begin to think that maybe this just doesn't really bode well for the next few years...

Killjoy-NL

Not everyone enjoys the titles produced from Sony Japan, but they add to Sony's overall portfolio. The more you strip these things away, the more boring your offerings are going to become. These titles add something, even if they just break even. You'll end up like Ubisoft, with a stigma about your game offerings. As it stands Sony already has the single player cinematic rep, I am fine with those games myself. Variety is important though.
Fair point, but honestly, what were the last three big hits from Sony Japan?

Like someone else said, Sony isn't running a charity.

EDMIX

Oh wait, *looks around* is this the business board, or the gaming board? Don't like my posting style?
Sad Universal Music GIF by Sigrid Bernson

And I'm not arguing, people are just quoting my posts.

lol this would still be about the subject of gaming though.

You just seem mad that you can't really make that subjective point make logical sense lol

Be like " oNeZ lOyALz BaZe"

spongebob.jpg

lol this would still be about the subject of gaming though.

You just seem mad that you can't really make that subjective point make logical sense lol

Be like " oNeZ lOyALz BaZe"

spongebob.jpg
You just seem mad because I don't like what you like, and don't think like you.
Happy Dance GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

If true, its kind of off-putting how some supposed Sony "fans" here are fine or indifferent about this. Japan studio was far more imaginative than its western counterpart and its far more evident now than ever.

Ever since the PS3, Japanese endeavors haven't gotten remotely as much exposure as the western studios. Its no wonder they have been under-performing.

Last edited:

EDMIX

You tell me. I'm not the one getting all butthurt over a few statements.

? ok, you are making statements that I don't like what you like and I'm mad...

I've never made any statement about what you personally like and me not liking it or anything odd like that.

Soooooo you just seem triggered and assumed something cause we picked apart that weird logic of arguing in favor of "ones loyal base", when that actually supports the idea of GaaS, Live Service, Online gaming etc.

So you are now trying to find some way to make it sound like its some personal thing based on what you like. So...I don't care.

I never made any statements about what you like and not liking it or something lol

I don't even know where you got that from or you are just so upset you are replying to the wrong person or....not sure.

but k. lol

Last edited:

Three

Ever since the PS3, Japanese endeavors haven't gotten remotely as much exposure as the western studios. Its no wonder they have been under-performing.
Not true, Gravity Rush 2 got decent marketing but the market didn't take up on it. That's reality unfortunately.

Last edited:
So it was Hermen Hulst who gave us the brilliant Team Asobi and Astrobot?

Sounds like a huge win to me! Good job, Hulst!
While Astrobot was nice and all, its kinda funny how its touted as a worthy substitute for the dozen of wild and memorable IPs Japan studio created and produced over the years. Its not even in the same ball park.

Not true, Gravity Rush 2 got decent marketing but the market didn't take up on it. That's reality unfortunately.
Really now? Did it get as strong a marketing exposure as, say, Uncharted? I don't recall anything remotely of that magnitude.

And that's just Gravity rush. How about The last guardian, Freedom wars, Tokyo jungle, etc. etc.? None of them went in that strong. Ever since the PS3, post Kutaragi's departure, Sony has leaned heavily in favor of their western studios.

Last edited:

Three

Really now? Did it get as strong a marketing exposure as, say, Uncharted? I don't recall anything remotely of that magnitude.

And that's just Gravity rush. How about The last guardian, Freedom wars, Tokyo jungle, etc. etc.? None of them went in that strong. Ever since the PS3, post Kutaragi's departure, Sony has leaned heavily in favor of their western studios.
About as big as uncharted 1 got when it was a franchise the size of gravity rush. Same with bloodborne. Gravity Rush may even get a movie. Subsequent marketing is based on market reception but both Bloodborne and Gravity Rush got their fair shake of exposure. They had good coverage at shows, adverts on buses and underground stations. If a lot of people don't show interest in the game after that though is it fair to spend $300M on advertising further if you're expected to sell far less?

To me those franchises got a fair amount exposure but not mass market adoption to warrant subsequent bigger marketing budgets for sequels, or even a sequel at all wasn't there.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
While Astrobot was nice and all, its kinda funny how its touted as a worthy substitute for the dozen of wild and memorable IPs Japan studio created and produced over the years. Its not even in the same ball park.
Past glory is good and all, but Japan Studios hadn't produced anything of note in the last 10 years.

There were several attempts by SIE to get them on track, including multiple leadership changes. They just wouldn't publish games in a timely manner, and their games wouldn't set the charts on fire either. Anyone remember "Rayspace?"

In the same period, studios like HouseMarque, Bluepoint, Sucker Punch, and Insomniac became fantastic and extremely reliable. Even Team Asobi continuously took the lead and played a pivotal role in SIE's overall plans. Take Team Asobi (~70 people) and the rest of the Japan Studios (~300+ people) was nothing.

Team Asobi worked on the Astrobot VR game, worked with SIE on DualSense, and also released Astrobot for PS5. Japan Studios did nothing during all this period. Of course, Team Asobi is the only one that survives now.

At some point, you have to let people go if they won't work, no matter how much you try.

Oof85

Tis only logical.

I love the studio too, but shit you need to fucking actually make a damn profit. They can't have titles in development for almost 10 years only to then barely move enough units to cover another title. The amount of chances that team got is wild and they would have been closed down a long time ago at any other publisher.

This is still a business folks...

yea and their games don't go on 10 years development with a massive budget either.

No one is even saying they are not allowed to make different games, they do that all the time with PSVR, Astrobot, Dreams etc, buuuuuuut those make them fucking money, thus exist.

This has nothing to do with feelings man.

It must still make sense as a business in order for teams like that to exist. They were not closed down for lolz or something, clearly too much money was put into projects that profited very little to the point of those teams being alive for charity at some point, to go several generations like that is wild cause under any other publisher, they would be gone within the first few titles of doing this shit, not multiple generations.
I don't understand this thinking, as you mean to tell me that PS3 gen aside, Sony hasn't been successful enough to have a few publishing arms subsidized just to keep making interesting software that helps pad out the library?

Nintendo does it.

Retro is probably subsidized by the success of their other studios, but it's worth it because Metroid Prime brings a different appeal to their lineup that one more Scrimblo Bimblo wouldn't.

People often call Sony the default market leader and most successful console maker ever, but they can't leverage that success and just keep some lights on to help distinguish their ip portfolio?

Laughable.

I'd take another 4 years without one more Horizon spin-off/sequel if it meant one more Ueda title, because heaven knows there was more ambition and craft in those than anything Hulst has pushed out.

Oof85

Taito - they’re owned by SE. So there’s more than you might think. I don’t think it’s a small number.

So the dream is dead? Everything must be Fortnite? Did Epic Games make all the suits and ties over at Sony jealous and money hungry? Bring out the zoomer battle royal because zoomers need to buy more PSN cards for DLC skins. Why even be a game designer if all you make are wanna be Fortnite games?

I like Epic, but some days I wish Fortnite never existed. I feel like it’s screwed gaming. Everyone wants that type of money.
And it's redundant anyways, given that even with that successful title on their backs, they still JUST DID MASSIVE LAYOFFS like, this month.

It's greed, plain and simple.

Sony could have 3 massively successful gaas launch tomorrow and if someone looking at the books thinks they can save money cutting the fat, guess what?

They'll do so in a heartbeat.

Nintendo has huge issues they need to work out(online system, insularity, etc) but they've pegged the underlying truth of this industry.

Know how. You can't just flush human capital if you value their knowledge.

Forty years of relevance, both mountaintop and valley can't be disregarded.

ProtoByte

I don't understand this thinking, as you mean to tell me that PS3 gen aside, Sony hasn't been successful enough to have a few publishing arms subsidized just to keep making interesting software that helps pad out the library?

Nintendo does it.
Playstation does plenty of that too. Just this year they released a VR headset and games nobody cares about.

They released Returnal to the whopping, sales chart burning 700k sales that game brought in. Maybe it's a little over or under a million units now. Despite being from Insomniac, Ratchet and Clank is not a smash hit title. They released Destruction Allstars.

What are these "interesting software" titles Nintendo releases, by the way? Also, would you enjoy the idea of Sony milking the same IP for 20-30+ years via games that are a couple gens behind on a technology front to achieve the creation of a bunch of shit no one cares about playing?

Retro is probably subsidized by the success of their other studios, but it's worth it because Metroid Prime brings a different appeal to their lineup that one more Scrimblo Bimblo wouldn't.
Retro hasn't been involved in Metroid for 2 generations. Honestly, I'm surprised Nintendo hasn't shut them down. Now that Prime 4 is on their backs iirc, I bet the pressure's on to deliver.

People often call Sony the default market leader and most successful console maker ever, but they can't leverage that success and just keep some lights on to help distinguish their ip portfolio?
First, it's not that they call Sony that, that's what Sony is.
Second, the competition either doesn't release games at a significant or consistent enough clip (Microsoft), or manages to leverage IP most of a half century in age with comparatively lower budget titles and pass them off as AAA to the tune of 20-30 million sales.

Laughable.

I'd take another 4 years without one more Horizon spin-off/sequel if it meant one more Ueda title, because heaven knows there was more ambition and craft in those than anything Hulst has pushed out.
You and what army? Ueda got blown out of the sales water by Horizon.

SJRB

Gold Member
Jaffe should be a banned "source" on this site, honestly. Dude is just flinging shit around.

Just a couple of days ago he had a temper tantrum because someone he liked was leaving Playstation and nobody cared, and now all of a sudden he drops this bizarre accusation to get people riled up against Playstation once again.

"One of my sources told me", man get outta here.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Playstation does plenty of that too. Just this year they released a VR headset and games nobody cares about.

They released Returnal to the whopping, sales chart burning 700k sales that game brought in. Maybe it's a little over or under a million units now. Despite being from Insomniac, Ratchet and Clank is not a smash hit title. They released Destruction Allstars.

What are these "interesting software" titles Nintendo releases, by the way? Also, would you enjoy the idea of Sony milking the same IP for 20-30+ years via games that are a couple gens behind on a technology front to achieve the creation of a bunch of shit no one cares about playing?
True. And Sackboy, Predator Hunting Grounds, Firewall, Dreams, and so many more.

Sony takes the most risk among any console platform holders or AAA game publishers.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Second biggest PS5 exclusive this year is a Japanese title and every PS5 is bundled with a game made by a Japanese studio. PSVR’s 2 two biggest AAA releases are from Capcom. PD and Team Asobi are hiring. Biggest 1st party franchise is still Gran Turismo that recently received a (imo) decent movie adaptation. Sony owns part of From through Kadokawa. PS5 is back to PS2 numbers in Japan. Sony owns EVO, the place to compete in genre, that is primarily consists of Japan-made games. XDev Japan is firing on all cylinders and Death Stranding is getting a big-budget sequel.

Meanwhile Ueda’s title is MIA since a few published concept arts (and could get axed by Epic due to restructuring) and Toyama’s horror game is barely alive in public field (I love the guy and adore Gravity Rush immensely, but let’s be real).

And yes, Jaffe is a clown and this thread is 4 pages too long.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Second biggest PS5 exclusive this year is a Japanese title and every PS5 is bundled with a game made by a Japanese studio. PSVR’s 2 two biggest AAA releases are from Capcom. PD and Team Asobi are hiring. Biggest 1st party franchise is still Gran Turismo that recently received a (imo) decent movie adaptation. Sony owns part of From through Kadokawa. PS5 is back to PS3 numbers in Japan. Sony owns EVO, the place to compete in genre, that is primarily consists of Japan-made games. XDev Japan is firing on all cylinders and Death Stranding is getting a big-budget sequel.

Meanwhile Ueda’s title is MIA since a few published concept arts (and could get axed by Epic due to restructuring) and Toyama’s horror game is barely alive in public field (I love the guy and adore Gravity Rush immensely, but let’s be real).

And yes, Jaffe is a clown and this thread is 4 pages too long.
Remember the good old days when the FUD was that Jim Ryan hated Death Stranding because he hates Japan and canceled Kojima's next game / Death Stranding's sequel?

Now that things like those have been debunked, they gotta come up with something new or regurgitate old news with a new allegation and angle.

ManufacturedConcern™.

Past glory is good and all, but Japan Studios hadn't produced anything of note in the last 10 years.

There were several attempts by SIE to get them on track, including multiple leadership changes. They just wouldn't publish games in a timely manner, and their games wouldn't set the charts on fire either. Anyone remember "Rayspace?"

In the same period, studios like HouseMarque, Bluepoint, Sucker Punch, and Insomniac became fantastic and extremely reliable. Even Team Asobi continuously took the lead and played a pivotal role in SIE's overall plans. Take Team Asobi (~70 people) and the rest of the Japan Studios (~300+ people) was nothing.

Team Asobi worked on the Astrobot VR game, worked with SIE on DualSense, and also released Astrobot for PS5. Japan Studios did nothing during all this period. Of course, Team Asobi is the only one that survives now.

At some point, you have to let people go if they won't work, no matter how much you try.
Okay, shouldn't they let Team Asobi go then? I mean, Astrobot didn't nearly perform to same degree as blockbuster titles like Horizon plus its a very niche PSVR title.

That surely would make them qualified for a closure, right? I mean, that doesn't sound very economically sensible.

Btw, didn't Japan studio pour its resources into the Demon's souls remake. Do you account that as "nothing"?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Okay, shouldn't they let Team Asobi go then? I mean, Astrobot didn't nearly perform to same degree as blockbuster titles like Horizon plus its a very niche PSVR title.

That surely would make them qualified for a closure, right? I mean, that doesn't sound very economically sensible.
What are you talking about? Astrobot VR was a big success, featuring in top-selling PS VR game charts plenty of times. It is also a highly acclaimed 90+ Metacritic title.

UW7I7z9.jpg

https://www.roadtovr.com/astro-bot-ranked-6th-best-ps4-game-of-2018-23rd-of-all-time/

lWJll0X.jpg

The game sold gangbusters even in 2022. It was released in 2018.

2ukzdM7.jpg

Then Astrobot PS5 established it as an important franchise that people are looking forward to with great excitement.
Btw, didn't Japan studio pour its resources into the Demon's souls remake. Do you account that as "nothing"?
No, they didn't. It was made by Bluepoint.

I don't know where you're getting your flawed information and data from.

Klosshufvud

Nintendo's tremendous handheld success using Japanese studios is damning proof how many missteps Sony has made the past decade. They blew their handhelds in favor of VR (which is never taking off) and they blew their Japanese talent to save pennies. All those failed cancelled GAAS games that could've instead resulted in more stellar titles such as Last Guardian and Bloodborne. Incompetence and greed is the bane of this medium. Dumb trend chasing idiots being saved by a powerful impossible-to-fail brand.

KWAB

Banned
All those failed cancelled GAAS games that could've instead resulted in more stellar titles such as Last Guardian and Bloodborne.
Probably hard to get something exclusive by From. And about The Last Guardian I think Ueda is a moron and he should be ashamed to have wasted 10 years for a low 80 on Metacritic.

Klosshufvud

Probably hard to get something exclusive by From. And about The Last Guardian I think Ueda is a moron and he should be ashamed to have wasted 10 years for a low 80 on Metacritic.
They managed once. And Sony's collaboration resulted in the greatest From game yet.
Ueda's games are highly experimental and one "low 80's" should be tolerated in the creation of artistic games. Sony doesn't have that tolerance anymore. They are too obsessed with the instanteous money making aspect now. No patience for trial and error. Just endless trend chasing that goes nowhere.

Man, some people have severely warped views on review scores if they consider something like "low 80" inadequate. Would be great if reviewers collectively removed them all to let people form their own opinions based on the writing/impressions.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Nintendo's tremendous handheld success using Japanese studios is damning proof how many missteps Sony has made the past decade. They blew their handhelds in favor of VR (which is never taking off) and they blew their Japanese talent to save pennies. All those failed cancelled GAAS games that could've instead resulted in more stellar titles such as Last Guardian and Bloodborne. Incompetence and greed is the bane of this medium. Dumb trend chasing idiots being saved by a powerful impossible-to-fail brand.
Ah, yes, 'Sony just shot themselves in the foot', finally

KWAB

Banned
Man, some people have severely warped views on review scores if they consider something like "low 80" inadequate. Would be great if reviewers collectively removed them all to let people form their own opinions based on the writing/impressions.
It can be adequate but not when you have to wait 10 years for it. If I have to wait 10 years it better be the Second Coming. And it wasn't.

I liked some of their output but let's be real.

Ueda had already gone.
The employees they had left weren't in teams as such and floated around.
They had a higher failure or cancellation rate internally than other teams.

It makes more sense to keep Asobi and hugely bump up their Asian xDEV.

The funny thing is how they fired the literal inventor of Silent Hill that worked at Japan Studio, but now they throw money at a SH2 remake by a complete shit developer. Also that KOTOR remake by obvious incompetents and Korean vaporware.

Maybe you should've given Japan Studios better projects if Gravity Rush wasn't what you wished for, instead of these stupid stunts. Japanese games are bigger than ever, while GAAS is a dead end 95% of the time.

Top Bottom