• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David O. Russell's upcoming Abscam film (Cooper, Bale + now Jawrence)

Status
Not open for further replies.

relaxor

what?
Cool! Yeah, DO.R has had such a weird career so far. His vacillations between derision and adoration really seem to align with his comedies vs his more serious movies, including Three Kings. I agree that I hope this is a return to the weird, Huckabees is still a favorite of mine.

american-hustle-christian-bale-amy-adams.jpg

1375122646000-BRAD-CHRISTIAN-AMERICAN-HU-1307291432_4_3.jpg

Mr.Swag

Banned
Those pics look great.

Still need to watch SLP. Read the book and thought it was great. Waiting for the storyline to be less fresh in my head to watch.

Silver Linings was my favorite movie in 2012.
The Fighter was one of my favorite movie in 2010.

And now David O. Russell is making another movie with Christian Bale, Jeremy Renner, Bradley Cooper, Amy Adams, Jennifer Lawrence and Robert De Niro. Gotta be the best cast i've seen in years!

Its easily my most anticipated movie.

Saw a trailer for this attached to Rush.

Cannot wait to see this film, looks awesome and definitely captures the time period well.

Jennifer Lawrence just pulls me out of that trailer. She exudes "little girl playing grown up" that I can't take it seriously. Her choices seem so elaborate and too thought out

there's all of 5 seconds worth of her acting in the trailer. She jokes & smokes. That's it. Hard to get a gauge on what she's bringing based off that alone.

iuxion

The Fighter was good and Silver Linings Playbook was great.

The trailers for this are just okay, but I look forward to the movie.

Man. How the fuck does this guy lose and gain weight so quickly!? He looks so fit when he looks fit, looks so skinny when he wants to and looks like my dad when he wants to. Astonishing.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Man. How the fuck does this guy lose and gain weight so quickly!? He looks so fit when he looks fit, looks so skinny when he wants to and looks like my dad when he wants to. Astonishing.

Its what happens when you combine stronger than average willpower with a lot of money.

He gets paid millions to do it, he has nothing else to do all day, he has probably some doctors and coaches who tell him what to do to get those results. Of course you still need a lot of dedication and love for what you're doing.

Silver Linings Playbook was shit but The Fighter, Three Kings and Spanking the Monkey were pretty damn good and this looks on line with those films rather than his "I want an Oscar so I will make garbage with Weinstein" work in SLP.

odiin

My Apartment, or the 120 Screenings of Salo

Remember his character from The Prestige? Well, that was based on a true story.

Only thing that makes sense.

Haha, I'll hold out.

I want to watch the whole movie hoping for Hawkeye's death, Batman's survival, and Mystique's breasts.

"American Hustle is the story of Rocket Racoon with a Perm, trying to bring down a criminal conspiracy run by Batman and Hawkeye, complicated via domestic trouble concerning Lois Lane and Mystique.

Co-starring Louis C.K."

andycapps

Supplements, steroids, lots of food, and lots of working out to get ripped quickly. How he gets so skinny, I'm going to guess a lot of cardio and little food. How to get fat, fast food and ice cream. How he does all of them, lots of dedication.

besada

Banned
I can't believe someone's doing a movie about Abscam. Such a great clusterfuck of criminality and government excess. Who's playing Bob Guccione?

Also, I bet John Murtha wishes this movie weren't being made.

Please try not to project next time. You could simply ask for clarification. If I did a poor job expressing my true intent, I'll clarify as I tried to in my last post.

I don't think I'm projecting - that's what you wrote. Dunno how else it was supposed to be interpreted. Apologies if it came off pretentious and condescending, but I really don't understand how else your criticism of her 5 seconds of performance in a trailer was supposed to come across. And your further explanation didn't really further explain anything that wasn't already in your initial post. And again - if you didn't feel the way you felt, you probably wouldn't have posted anything in the first place, right? How is it "pretentious" to point that out?

She's not that good an actress. I don't get how she won for silver linings playbook. There had to have been better female performances than that during the year.

I get what you mean by little girl trying to play grown up. Something seems off about her in these adult roles to me

Yeah she is young, but I think scarjo in lost in translation for example showed more maturity than this girl ever has

Not comparing their talents but just pointing out that age doesn't have to be a factor considering she was like 17 when filming that. Okay maybe I am kinda comparing them

Jennifer Lawrence comes off to me as nu-Sandra bullock except she hasn't made anything as god tier as speed or miss congeniality yet.

Edit: she might work as the mistress/trophy wife tho

I think some of her real-life personality is starting to color her performances. Meaning I think the more we see her on TV, being Jennifer Lawrence, the more we don't see the characters she's playing.

I totally get where you and Groovy are coming from - I'm not trying to say you guys are wrong to think what you're thinking. I just don't know if 5 seconds of smoking and talking shit in a trailer is a great gauge of what she's bringing to the movie. Or hell, maybe it is. :)

While we're on the subject of J.Law, can someone explain the appeal of the Hunger Games films to me.

Post-Apocalyptic Sports Movie about attractive people killing each other.

While we're on the subject of J.Law, can someone explain the appeal of the Hunger Games films to me.

Teen romance, reality show style setting, action, female protagonist

Also yeah bobbyroberts. I'm just predisposed to not liking her that much at this point. 5 seconds or 2 minutes of a trailer with her is the same to me until I see the whole film

Yeah. And from what I understand, she's not even playing all that large a role in the movie, so even if she does end up grating on people - she's not gonna be onscreen all that much.

Also, again: Apologies, Groovy. didn't mean to piss you off.

The Jennifer Lawrence backlash is weird. (Winter's Bone gives her a lifetime pass.) Well, okay, it's not: just the usual thing that happens when a beloved entity enters mainstream popularity.

Haha oh shit I totally forgot about winters bone. It's like all this david o Russell and shitty xmen performance and hunger games just wiped that from my memory

She was quite good in there

Yeah, her win for Silver Linings was on her 2nd Best Actress nomination. Lotta people thought it was partially a makeup-call for not giving her the trophy for Winter's Bone.

Oh and
superman vs. batman lol

For the purposes of this post, I'm going to pretend your last name is Barrowman.

tumblr_lgep5mQhlU1qbk3m1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom