• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Reviews for Joy (David O. Russell, J-Law, DeNiro, B. Coops; Oscar Frontrunner?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toothless

To answer the question in the title: NOPE. Remember the meltdowns over The Revenant's reviews?

It's the kind of movie where it means nothing that our heroine hits rock bottom, because she fixes everything in the very next scene.
- Alonso Duralde, The Wrap

The splendidly dextrous cast ensures that this goofy success story, which could just easily be titled American Hustle 2, keeps firing on all cylinders in the manner of the writer-director's previous few outings.
- Todd McCarthy, Hollywood Reporter

The mop is miraculous. David O. Russell's latest movie, not so much.
- Justin Chang, Variety

A film with one foot in daytime TV and the other in 'Goodfellas'.
- Cath Clarke, Time Out

It's the American dream as a nuance-free heroine steamroller, judging and holding accountable practically everyone else who gets developed as a character.
- Matt Pais, RedEye

It's got a glorious 53% on RottenTomatoes. Think its Oscars chances are gone. The failure of this came out of nowhere.

Good, maybe this will end david o Russell's mediocre ass run of movies (that got so much Oscar attention) and he'll go back to huckabees/three Kings mode

This is making me happy, especially after that piece of shit American Hustle got so much praise. I can't stand O. Russell and hope he disappears for a few years after this.

Jigorath

Banned
Not surprising. David O. Russell hasn't made anything worthwhile since The Fighter.

Dude needs to quit aping Scorsese so much.

Crud

Banned
This movie always looked terrible to me. Sick of all of the actors in it. Trailers were god awful.

TheFlow

Banned
Bradley's cooper past cople of movies have been flops so I had a bad feeling about him teaming up with Jlaw for this movie.

Maengun1

I've liked a couple of Russell's movies, but in general he has more misses than hits for me. I absolutely hated American Hustle. I couldn't put a finger on why exactly, but everything about it just came across forced and insufferable. I was annoyed for months watching the critics and award season fawning over it. So......good, I guess. Didn't feel like watching another round of that.

Aesthet1c

Man all the O. Russell hate. I love this crew and I've enjoyed all of their movies to varying degrees. American Hustle, Silver Linings Playbook, and The Fighter are incredible films.

RangerX

Banned
I'll echo others bafflement at the praise Russell's films get. The fighter was decent but everything else I've seen of his has been horribly derivative and boring as fuck. American hustle tries so hard to hit that 70's Scorsese vibe but its muck. Theres is a fake and cynical quality to his films.

So apparently the film is based on a real-life person. I decided to look them up. Like literally nothing of interest about this person. It is like he thought of a cool name for a character and typed it into Google and decided to base the film on that person's life on that criteria alone.

FStop7

Banned
De Niro's been in some real shit lately between this and that Intern abomination.

Oh, there's another shit movie he's recently been in, with Dave Bautista. "Heist", tearing up the charts with a 24% on RT.

samn

I'll echo others bafflement at the praise Russell's films get. The fighter was decent but everything else I've seen of his has been horribly derivative and boring as fuck. American hustle tries so hard to hit that 70's Scorsese vibe but its muck. Theres is a fake and cynical quality to his films.

they feel like a ball of fluff, completely forgettable soon as you walk out

Smidget

I hated hated hated American Hustle. I especially disliked it when people said it did Scorsese better than Scorsese with The Wolf of Wall Street. I enjoyed some of his other movies (Huckabees, Three Kings, and The Fighter) and indifferent about Silver Linings Playbook. I'm just not a fan of Jennifer Lawrence at all and Bradley Cooper gets annoying too. So this definitely seems to be more of the same.

TheFlow

Banned
Man all the O. Russell hate. I love this crew and I've enjoyed all of their movies to varying degrees. American Hustle, Silver Linings Playbook, and The Fighter are incredible films.
Agreed, I guess russell haters were looking for something to finally discredit him.

AHA-Lambda

I'm surprised at the reviews, I thought American Hustle was incredibly overrated FWIW but it still got a rave reception.

Ridley327

As far as the premise went, this did seem a bit more flimsy and more blatantly Oscar-baity than most of his recent run has been. Oh well.

Balphon

David O Russell? Producing shallow garbage?

Surely you jest.

I have to admit Three Kings was pretty great, though.

ShowDog

American Hustle was pretty mediocre (I wanna say it was bad simply because I was overexposed to it but that isn't fair) and it got rave reviews so this surprises me. I loved Silver Lining Playbook but this looks forced and bringing back the whole gang for another "dysfunctional group yelling at each other" movie was a stupid idea.

faridmon

Holy Shit at the O Russell hate.
The only shitty thing about him is employing fucking Jennifer Lawrence into his movies. Wish he worked with someone else who had better attitude and character,

Blader

Three Kings is so fucking annoying. I've tried three times to watch that movie and dropped out somewhere in the first half each time.

Really liked Silver Linings and The Fighter though. American Hustle was overacted nonsense though.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
The only shitty thing about him is employing fucking Jennifer Lawrence into his movies. Wish he worked with someone else who had better attitude and character,

Jesus the internet has gotten so weird.

ivysaur12

Banned
Liked Silver Linings Playbook, iffy on Three Kings, really didn't like American Hustle, and this looked more in line with Hustle than his other films, so, yeah.

Wait, what?

FTF

What meltdowns to The Revenant reviews? It's 84% and 8/10 average on RT after 43 reviews, that's great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom