• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First reviews for David O. Russel's AMERICAN HUSTLE

Status
Not open for further replies.

CassSept

Yeah seriously. There are some really great performances in the movie but the thing itself is honestly average at best and for the most part boring. Can't believe the raving reviews this movie has gotten.

Watched it last night and within 20 minutes I was doing something else in tandem the rest of the time. Film could not hold my interest at all and I was perplexed during its duration as to why this movie received 10 freaking Oscar noms (o__O)
It felt like a construct meant for "it" actors to dress up, chew scenery, and recite dialog/jokes that they thought were waaaay funnier then they are
Whole thing felt like a vanity peace

I kinda would like to know what movie in the last year those who found this boring found entertaining before I bother starting a discussion about this film.

huxley00

Watched it after a date night with the girlfriend, we got so bored we turned it off after an hour and watched something else. Picked it up the next day and finished it. The second half is better, but its still not a good movie.

Let me just explain a few reasons I thought the movie made no senes

Robert DeNiro spoke Arabic, the random Mexican guy the have playing the Middle Eastern benefactor randomly happens to speak Arabic? Completely unbelievable.

They made a business of scamming friends of friends in the same building in New York, the same office everytime. How do people not come back and kill them? How does this never come back to bite them outside of the fed intervention?

There is so much more, so so much more that made no sense. There was 0 character motivation, most of their actions didnt even make sense. I could sit through this movie with a pen and paper and not stop writing the whole time about the issues this thing has. Fun costumes and music, forget the rest...except when Louie CK got beat up with a telephone, that was kind of funny /fin

OnPoint

I watched it last night and I really liked it. Everything came together really nicely.

I feel like J-Law didn't need to be in the movie, she wasn't really that great in it, the role was super small and she kept slipping out of her Long Island accent. She was a distraction.

But otherwise I really liked it.

I kinda would like to know what movie in the last year those who found this boring found entertaining before I bother starting a discussion about this film.

?

I'd say this film is more annoying then boring though.

I did watch Wolf of Wall Street recently and while it overstays its Welcome, it had a sense of purpose and held my attention the majority of the time. I feel like its a good parallel to AH in regards to being about the over the top performances and looney antics, only Wolf succeeds in making you give a shit about its context...

huxley00

Like in an action sense or a general sense? I loved Before Midnight as a movie in general...hmmm I loved Gravity as well, This is the End was great.

Movies I hated last year

Iron Man 3

I think thats it.

The acting and the soundtrack was pretty good but I felt pretty empty when I left the theatre. I didn't find the plot to be very interesting or well put together and I thought the first 30 minutes were excruciating. The movie was very unsatisfying.

This is pretty close to how I felt. Like, I thought every single element of the movie was well done and worked, but somehow it just didn't come together as an entertaining movie for me. I just had a hard time caring about what happened.

I just watched it for the first time last weekend. It was way too hyped so I was a little underwhelmed. I just didn't feel tension or really anything during or after the movie. A little disappointed after all the hype.

Muffdraul

I just watched it for the first time last weekend. It was way too hyped so I was a little underwhelmed. I just didn't feel tension or really anything during or after the movie. A little disappointed after all the hype.

Same here. When it came out I remember people name dropping Goodfellas, and I thought "Wow, it must be really good." Then I finally saw it a couple weeks ago, and it was like it was made for the purpose of a new drinking game, Take A Drink Every Time This Movie Lifts Something From Goodfellas.

Bradley Cooper is annoyingly mediocre, and I'm getting tired of everyone trying to convince me that Amy Adams is hot.

I don't think it was so much the hype, as it was the TONE of the hype.

This was never "Goodfellas" or even remotely Scorsese-like. It was a straight up farce starring a squad of total morons who all think they're smarter than they really are. If anything, it felt more like a Coen Bros movie. Except there was an unearned happy ending for Bale/Adams.

But the worst thing that happened to American Hustle was an ad campaign that never really hinted at the idea the film is a big dumb comedy first and foremost. There are maybe one or two moments that are played straight total (Lawrence in the Bathroom, Renner kicking Bale out of his house) Everything else is watching entertainingly stupid people fuck themselves over, and laughing at their expense.

StuBurns

Banned
I've been crushin' on dat Adams since Cruel Intentions 2, I don't know I'll sleep well knowing her aesthetic isn't universally admired, this is a dark day.

Lijik

I liked the movie, didnt think it deserved all of the noms it got and the opening went on for way too long but still enjoyed it.

Did people really not get the scene with De Niro?
I thought it was clear they prepped the guy with a few canned lines and it fell apart when De Niro actually knew the language. Everyone had a deer in the headlights moment, and then they used the chaos at the end to spit out the canned lines in a believable fashion

Wawahead

Yea, movie wasn't terribly good at all. Of course I dont care much for movies where the main draw isn't a compelling story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom