• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Reviews for Joy (David O. Russell, J-Law, DeNiro, B. Coops; Oscar Frontrunner?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Not surprising. David O. Russell hasn't made anything worthwhile since The Fighter.

Dude needs to quit aping Scorsese so much.

Agreed. American Hustle was a bunch of nothing.

Still, the man is definitely an actor's director.

Frog-fu

Banned
Some bitter af people up in here smearing one of the best working directors today. smh.

Not surprised Joy is divisive. I had the feeling I wasn't gonna like it and I pretty much like everything I've seen by Russell.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The trailer was bad. If you can't make a movie look good for two minutes then you've got problems.

rekameohs

Banned
Man, I don't know anyone who actually liked American Hustle, myself included, out of people that I know personally. It was all just the critics, don't know what they saw in it

Some bitter af people up in here smearing one of the best working directors today. smh.

Not surprised Joy is divisive. I had the feeling I wasn't gonna like it and I pretty much like everything I've seen by Russell.

He's not even in the top ten.

He's a fucking fraud-ass wannabe Martin Scorsese. He panders directly to critics.

I thought American Hustle was a pretty good farce. Unfortunately, people seem to rate it as some sort of gonzo drama. Maybe it was the marketing campaign, who knows. But it was more or less a big dumb comedy about big dumb assholes who are too dumb to realize how fucking dumb they are.

I dunno. I liked it quite a bit. Lawrence stole that fucking movie, too.

HOWEVER: The only reason the teaser worked on me was because of the slight remix to "Can't Always Get What You Want." Considering the movie can't possibly just be that music playing under a bunch of scenes all the time, I was kinda skeptical. Still am.

Aurongel

David O directs ACTOR films based around performances by ACTORS ACTING.

I jest but seriously, his characters always feel so inflated and "actory" that none of his material ever feels human enough to invoke a response. It doesn't help that he also never knows how to end his films.

Holy Shit at the O Russell hate.
The only shitty thing about him is employing fucking Jennifer Lawrence into his movies. Wish he worked with someone else who had better attitude and character,

Jlaw has like one of the most likeable attitudes in the business

Frog-fu

Banned
He's not even in the top ten.

He's a fucking fraud-ass wannabe Martin Scorsese. He panders directly to critics.

What is any of that even supposed to mean? I glean nothing from your criticisms.

Artists have stood on the shoulders of giants for generations. To this day we have directors chasing the shadows of Hitchcock, Griffith, Kubrick, and so many others, learning from their craft and improving their own through imitation and experimentation in order to create something new or in the pursuit of that.

That Russell draws inspiration from Scorsese is not valid critique - in my opinion anyway - label him a fraud or a wannabe. Scorsese would not be where he is today without his peers, his predecessors or even the generations that succeeded his.

Just because critics love his work doesn't mean he panders to them or that that makes his work inherently flawed. It's stupid to think that way.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Silver Linings Playbook was good, but had good source material. American Hustle was just bad. Huckabees was okay, and Three Kings was excellent. The director is hit or miss, and no amount of star power is going to fix that.

Mad Max is actually in that race, amazingly.

Lots of consensus seems to be that the film won't play on screeners in peoples' living rooms.

This has been a strange a mediocre year. Nothing shines above all else, and lots of key players missed the mark. And, in the rare occurrence, I have more favorite female performances than male performances.

Who knows what will win come award time, and who cares. Shame Russell seemingly missed the mark with this one. I enjoyed his last three movies.

TheXbox

I thought this was a sequel to Silver Linings Playbook when I saw the trailer. My sister will be very disappointed.

Edit: Is Spotlight really a frontrunner for anything? By no means a bad movie, but Best Picture? Felt like a serviceable Hollywood take on a Big Issue with a really good cast. Idk. What else is there?

UberTag

Mad Max is actually in that race, amazingly.
For Best Picture? Let's not let the National Board of Review win go completely to our heads. It still has quite a bit of a mountain to climb to even land the nom.

I will acknowledge that it's in better shape than it was a couple weeks ago... which I'm quite thrilled about.

BBC

Banned
For Best Picture? Let's not let the National Board of Review win go completely to our heads. It still has quite a bit of a mountain to climb to even land the nom.

I will acknowledge that it's in better shape than it was a couple weeks ago... which I'm quite thrilled about.

Mad Max winning Best Picture would make me so happy, for the Oscar's to actually get one right?

Hexa

First time I'm seeing this. It has like everyone from Silver Linings Playbook so I'll watch it.
Also liked American Hustle so why not.
I really don't get what they're going for from the trailer or reviews though.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
I thought I was watching a different movie to the critics when I saw American Hustle. What a dull turd that was. Three Kings was good though.

CassSept

I thought I was watching a different movie to the critics when I saw American Hustle.

I remember Lionel summed it up best in the AH OT

I wasn't as big on it as everyone else seems to be. The first half of the movie kind of felt like someone excitedly telling a story that honestly isn't all that interesting. They try to hammer in certain points to get a laugh or ask "can you believe it" but it falls flat. It's like the characters are all acting in a goofy, outrageous comedy while the plot is a dull courtroom drama.

Regardless of your opinion of O. Russell's output, I think Film Crit Hulk's articles on his career are totally fascinating:

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2014/01/20/film-crit-hulk-smash-the-fallrise-of-david-o.-russell

Great article, sums up his career shift to make crowd-pleasing movies well. Didn't know about Nailed, that sounded cool.

I remember loving Three Kings and Flirting With Disaster. Then these Oscar bait movies started happening and I lost interest. Yeah sure the acting is good in them, but they have nothing to say, feel like comfort food, and are equivalent of many AAA videogames: polished but hollow. American Hustle was the last straw.

bomma_man

Great article, sums up his career shift to make crowd-pleasing movies well. Didn't know about Nailed, that sounded cool.

I remember loving Three Kings and Flirting With Disaster. Then these Oscar bait movies started happening and I lost interest. Yeah sure the acting is good in them, but they have nothing to say, feel like comfort food, and are equivalent of many AAA videogames: polished but hollow. American Hustle was the last straw.

RIP the Uncharted movie.

UberTag

David O Russell makes offensively safe Oscar bait fluff.
Don't see Oscar biting this year. Dude needs to change up his game. Went to that JLaw/Cooper/De Niro well one too many times.
I hate it when Nolan casts all of the same people in his movies, too... even in roles where they don't logically fit.

For Best Picture? Let's not let the National Board of Review win go completely to our heads.

It's not just the National Board of Review - multiple critics organizations are seeing it land in the top 3 of their balloting, same with Miller for Director (including a win w/ the LA Film Critics). Variety & THR keep mentioning it as a legitimate contender. There's also the fact it's still one of the best reviewed films of the year, period.

I know it was weird as shit to even put the notion forward back in like, June. But now is not June.

(Now is ALSO not voting time, either, so shit could still go sideways)

Lots of consensus seems to be that the film won't play on screeners in peoples' living rooms.

Where?

This has been a strange a mediocre year.

What?

kswiston

I haven't minded any of Russell's films (I think I have seen all of them since Three Kings, not counting Accidental Love which he didn't even direct under his name), but I do feel like he's been over recognized during the last few awards seasons. American Hustle and Silver Linings Playbook were good films, but not exactly shortlist for best film of the year quality to me.

I sort of had a feeling that Joy would be a miss for him.

zewone

I'm not doing this to myself after I was so sure Gravity would win. I'd love to see Mad Max somehow pull the upset, it's just a terrific movie and possibly just as good as Gravity.
I didn't like either Gravity or Mad Max, so I would agree they are on the same level.

Both are visually appealing though.

jmood88

I had no idea that this existed.

Maybe one day Film Crit Hulk will feel confident enough in his critical contributions that he won't feel like he needs this obnoxious ALL CAPS gimmick to sell em.

Confidence got nothing to do with it. Think it's you who has the problem in getting past that to read great critiques.
I just don't get the shtick. It's not like he writes in Hulk's broken English, he just types in all caps. What's the point?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom