• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First reviews for David O. Russel's AMERICAN HUSTLE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akahige

The theater near me has this for the movie "PRESENTED IN SONY 4K DIGITAL" wat the movie sure doesn't look shot digitally from the trailers.

edit*I see on imdb "Digital Intermediate (4K)" interesting. I'm hoping to catch this sometime this weekend but I'm sure if I feel like wading around in late christmas shopping traffic by the mall and theater.

Just saw it.

If you are a Bale fan, you NEED to see this. Dude is amazing.

Bradley Cooper, Louis CK were amazing too.
Liked Renner, Amy Adams as well.

Jennifer Lawrence was the weakest of the bunch for me. Feel like she was miscast.

Still amazed by Bale. Holy shit. SO much better than his Out of the Furnace performance. Man, that film was dogshit.

iamblades

Just saw it.

If you are a Bale fan, you NEED to see this. Dude is amazing.

Bradley Cooper, Louis CK were amazing too.
Liked Renner, Amy Adams as well.

Jennifer Lawrence was the weakest of the bunch for me. Feel like she was miscast.

Still amazed by Bale. Holy shit. SO much better than his Out of the Furnace performance. Man, that film was dogshit.

Just got back from seeing it and while I disagree that Lawrence was the weakest part of the film, I can't argue that she was miscast, she is obviously way too young.. That said I can't think of another person who could do what she did with that role. She took what looks like on paper a terrible human being and turned it into a comedic masterpiece. I think every line from her got a huge laugh in the theater, and not in a cheap comic relief kind of way either, the performance was both serious and hilarious at the same time.

In a film like this where the tone can go either way, a performance like that largely depends on individual taste and what you think the overall tone of the film should be. As someone who was enjoying it mostly as a black comedy, I thought her performance was brilliant.

KingK

I can't wait to see this movie next week. I doubt anything will be able to completely floor me like 12 Years A Slave, but I'm still super fucking pumped for Hustle and Wolf of Wall Street.

Day after and I still can't get over this. David O'Russell on a different planet right now

XxgJkZs.png

Damn straight

saw it last night. it's not perfect. the plot almost seems incidental at times, never of particular interest. you're here for the characters, who are a bit cartoonish. but that kind of works for the movie; it's a lot of fun to watch these people dress up in crazy outfits and act their hearts out. but it is, ultimately, fairly shallow despite its aspirations. the movie tries to set up some overarching themes (and even goes so far as to basically state them to the audience multiple times), but those themes never comes across very clearly. the basic building blocks are here, and at times they're quite good. the characters are fun, the dialogue is great. but the film doesn't really manage to put them together in any satisfying way so the whole thing comes across as messy and unfocused. is it entertaining? definitely. but it really doesn't seem to succeed at what it sets out to do.

The entire movie feels like it was cobbled together through improv outtakes. The actors seem to be going off-script, plot be damned. It's a real mess of a film.

YaGaMi

Can't wait to watch this and Wolf of Wall Street. I'm never gonna go watching either of those expecting them to be on the same level of Goodfellas.

Draconian

This movie was wild. I loved every minute of it. All the leads were great, but man I was a huge Bale fan going into it, and I'm an even bigger one now. There were scenes where sheer insanity was going on around him and the expression on his face would make me laugh. Heck, I even liked Jeremy Renner in this movie, and I never really thought I'd say that.

AoM

This movie was wild. I loved every minute of it. All the leads were great, but man I was a huge Bale fan going into it, and I'm an even bigger one now. There were scenes where sheer insanity was going on around him and the expression on his face would make me laugh. Heck, I even liked Jeremy Renner in this movie, and I never really thought I'd say that.

Have you seen The Town? I felt the same way, but when I saw that.. changed my mind.

Still need to see this movie - a huge Bale fan.

Film is a masterpiece.

And I shall henceforth refer to microwaves as "science ovens."

I laughed harder than I should have at that part.

I loved the film. The plot lost me at points but I liked the way it ended and wrapped everything up. The acting in this is amazing.

As for Lawrence, I didn't think she was miscast because she's young. That's the whole point to her character; she's a young mother with no other prospects so she settles for whatever she can get in terms of financial stability and attention.

Omzz

just came back from it. liked the acting, definitely way stronger than the plot. but omg amy adams boobs. i got excited everytime she came on screen

Draconian

Have you seen The Town? I felt the same way, but when I saw that.. changed my mind.

Still need to see this movie - a huge Bale fan.

I have not. I will put that one on my list to watch for sure. And yeah, I highly recommend this movie especially if you're a Bale fan. I think it's my favorite of the year.

Saw the movie tonite and I enjoyed it but I thought should've been about 30min shorter. Amy Adams is fucking unbelievably hot. Bale was fantastic and should win an award for his performance.

Nerokis

This film has given me a new appreciation of Jeremy Renner. the dude can ACT. Bale stole the show but Renner was also amazing in this.

I agree completely. I expected him to be totally overshadowed in this film, but he more than held his own. In fact, everyone shined brilliantly: Bale, Cooper, Adams, and Lawrence were all amazing in their respective roles, too. I'm actually surprised to see some here arguing Lawrence was miscast. She was seriously perfection.

American Hustle will definitely go down as one of my favorites this year.

seanoff

Ummm that movie is over-rated.

It was ok. Not sure its worth the high praise its gotten on RT.

Wasnt particularly funny. Cooper overplayed it, he doesnt do manic well.

Some people walked out of the session i was at. Amy adams boobs were the highlight.

Halcyon

The amount of Amy Adams side boob and cleavage with nipple popping is enough of a reason to see this movie.

This is one of those times where I wonder what the fuck everyone else was watching. Let's start with Bale... That was the worst 'Brooklyn Jew' accent I've ever heard in my life. It took me out of the movie every time he opened his mouth. The second worst new York accent has to go to Bradley Cooper.

The movie is filled with stupid lines that lazily state a character's inner dialogue because the director can't figure out a way to have them show it by actually acting. But maybe I shouldn't blame the director... Maybe he tried to have Bale act but every time he asked Bale to do something Bale just did his stupid 'hunch my shoulders and do lots of quick and short head nods' mannerism. Good fucking Lord... Bale has clearly never met someone from new York.

Cooper hams it up as a generic Italian tough guy. And when he needs to show emotion he just yells. In fact, that goes for most characters. Want to show you're serious? Yell. A lot. And this movie has multiple scenes of three-plus actors yelling and laughing over each other. It's literally enough to give you a headache.

One of the funniest parts of the movie to me was when deniro showed up for 5 minutes. THAT is the character bale and Cooper are trying to emulate, and you get a chance to see how badly they're doing it when they interact with deniro.

So I don't get it. I think it's getting over rated because Lawrence, Cooper, and Bale are the 'it' crowd right now, but it's really, really bad.

So I don't get it. I think it's getting over rated because Lawrence, Cooper, and Bale are the 'it' crowd right now, but it's really, really bad.

:lol

But anyways, it's one of the most brilliant black comedies I've ever seen. It's almost Coen Bros-esque. Everyone is totally and hilariously inept. It's hysterically funny.

Yes such a cunning deception that she couldn't pull off a good accent

You're missing the entire point. Adams made her accent purposely bad. The comedy comes from the fact that every other character in the film was too stupid and uncultured to realize what a joke of an English accent it was.

Fjordson

Just saw this and liked it a lot. Cast was brilliant.

The plot was a bit of a mess, the film just felt disjointed to me at times, but the characters and their dialogue mostly made up for that.

Draconian

One of the funniest parts of the movie to me was when deniro showed up for 5 minutes. THAT is the character bale and Cooper are trying to emulate, and you get a chance to see how badly they're doing it when they interact with deniro.

What? For the most part, De Niro was just acting like De Niro, which is ok, because he's awesome, but to act like everybody else paled in comparison to him is just being silly.

it was pretty good. dragged on kinda long though. and while jennifer lawrence's character was entertaining she felt miscast. she just looks way too young for this shit right now imo.

christian bale and amy adams were the easy standouts here. also loved scenes with louis ck and seeing richard harrow with his whole face.

goodfellas? lmao. not even david o russell's best movie let alone up to par with that. it's better than silver linings and the fighter though.

this director's monologues fucking suck btw. i don't need so many of them.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
that shot of Jennifer Lawrence walking over the mob guys after all that tension was just, like, oh my god, marry me David O. Russell

overcast

I really didn't care for SLP, but I'm going to give this a chance. Fighter was solid, and Huckabees was pretty great though.

Jennifer Lawrence stole the show. When you see a movie, and you're waiting to hear and see what a certain character will do, then that is a standout performance. That's what I felt watching her performance.

She reminded me of Marisa Tomei from My Cousin Vinny - guess who won the oscar that year.

Loved it, movie of the year.

I thought J-Law was fine in a mostly comic role, and I thought she was cast just fine as the too-young wife.

I've always thought Amy Adams was great, but man did she bring it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom