• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First reviews for David O. Russel's AMERICAN HUSTLE

Status
Not open for further replies.
David O. Russel's best film. Yes, even better than Huckabees.

It feels like a cross between Goodfellas and Oceans Eleven. It's got the roaming energy, character and romantic sense of atmosphere - of presence, of the former, whilst the con plot itself unfolds with the comic self-awareness of Soderbergh's films.

The cast is phenomenal. All of them. Even Renner turns in a really good performance. Bale is the best of the bunch. He has this empathy and charisma about him in the film that absolutely draws you into his character and makes you understand why Adams' character is drawn to him. Cooper and Jawrence are also fantastic. I am worried that many are going to overlook Adams' performance in favor of Lawrence's flashier, literally 'standout' character role. Adams' performance is more subdued and subtle, whilst Lawrence chews the scenery in a way that has her character feel like one of the few caricatures in the film.

Russel is operating with a confidence that he never has before. The soundtrack is killer too. Just a great, big, fun film.

Dmax3901

Just saw it. Really liked it.

Amazing performances from everyone and great use of music. Funny too, although I can see the humour not being for everyone.

I'd have to see it again, but I'd say it's as good as, if not better than, The Fighter.

Silver Linings Playbook can fuck off.

Pointless ranking time based off first watch. Due to change on rewatch? Maybe.

American Hustle > I Heart Huckabees >>>>> Silver Linings Playbook > The Fighter > Three Kings (been a long time)

Wait even Renner was okay? Russel must have really turned on the magic.

Fuck Sculli, now I have to find a damn cinema here somewhere that will show it >_<

I'd say these are mine. All of his films are at least fine, but don't have great enthusiasm for any.

Flirting with Disaster > Three Kings > The Fighter > American Hustle > Silver Linings Playbook > I Heart Huckabees > Spanking the Monkey.

Get the fuck out of here! Really?

Dude is crazy. It has none of the emotional weight or tension of Goodfellas. More of just a fun time.

xenist

Has the kind of throbbing pulse, wicked snap and sheer moviemaking bravado that makes it one of a very few films that can be mentioned in the same breath as Goodfellas.

Get the fuck out of here! Really?

Dude is crazy. It has none of the emotional weight or tension of Goodfellas. More of just a fun time.

It definitely doesn't touch Goodfellas, but then what films do? It's not hard to see where the Goodfellas comparisons come from though. O. Russel is channeling the fuck out of that film in Hustle. It's got that same vivacious energy and editing style about it too.

y2dvd

Sculli got me hyped. Will watch this weekend. I still haven't seen Silver Linings Playbook but I liked The Fighter.

David O. Russel's best film. Yes, even better than Huckabees.

It feels like a cross between Goodfellas and Oceans Eleven. It's got the roaming energy, character and romantic sense of atmosphere - of presence, of the former, whilst the con plot itself unfolds with the comic self-awareness of Soderbergh's films.

The cast is phenomenal. All of them. Even Renner turns in a really good performance. Bale is the best of the bunch. He has this empathy and charisma about him in the film that absolutely draws you into his character and makes you understand why Adams' character is drawn to him. Cooper and Jawrence are also fantastic. I am worried that many are going to overlook Adams' performance in favor of Lawrence's flashier, literally 'standout' character role. Adams' performance is more subdued and subtle, whilst Lawrence chews the scenery in a way that has her character feel like one of the few charicatures in the film.

Russel is operating with a confidence that he never has before. The soundtrack is killer too. Just a great, big, fun film.

Hype. The one week wait is gonna kill me, been my most anticipated film all year

Huckabees is just so much more daring, clever and entertaining than anything he's done. The performances and mastery of craft of Hustle are the only thing that elevate it above Huckabees for me.

I really do hate that Jennifer Lawrence is getting all the praise for Hustle when Amy Adams was much better. Lawrence was good, but was also one of the only people in Hustle whose performance doesn't feel congruent with the small semblance of groundedness that the rest of the film and cast roll with.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Sculli, you're tempting me to railroad this thread into a Huckabees appreciation thread. DON'T DO IT!

Unless this thread already is a Huckabee's thread. And a Goodfellas thread. And a thread about knitting.

And this part is Paris down here.

Sculli, you're tempting me to railroad this thread into a Huckabees appreciation thread. DON'T DO IT!

Unless this thread already is a Huckabee's thread. And a Goodfellas thread. And a thread about knitting.

And this part is Paris down here.

uCDAVhY.jpg

Amy Adams attempts at an English accent was laughable and I felt like the whole movie was completely over acted. Reminded me of a Scorcese movie, completely lacking in subtlety so perhaps that's what Russell was going for.

Amy Adams attempts at an English accent was laughable and I felt like the whole movie was completely over acted. Reminded me of a Scorcese movie, completely lacking in subtlety so perhaps that's what Russell was going for.

It was supposed to be a slightly-off accent. And learn how to spell Scorsese.

Guzim

I just got back from seeing it, and I thought it was great. This might be my favorite Russell film. The soundtrack was great too, and I was surprised at how many scenes Louis CK is in.

DMczaf

I just got back from seeing it, and I thought it was great. This might be my favorite Russell film. The soundtrack was great too, and I was surprised at how many scenes Louis CK is in.

The first words of your post should have been about Bale.

I'm disappoint.

Aurongel

Just got back from seeing this, the first 30 minutes or so emulate GoodFellas a bit too closely and ended up being the worst part of the film I feel. Everything after that and the resulting character drama is where this film is at its best.

Great movie. Gotta say though that Cooper delivered the best performance compared to the rest (plus his banter with Louis CK was awesome)

And hooray for
5 minute DeNiro appearance

The film is certainly influenced by Goodfellas and has some homage, but a film like Lovelace basically ripped off the Boogie Night's soundtrack and story. There's a way to do it and there's a way not to do it. I think American Hustle does it the right way.

charsace

Still can't believe Sony wouldn't let him do an Uncharted movie. Russell is the greatest film maker of his generation. Sony missed out big time.

Still can't believe Sony wouldn't let him do an Uncharted movie. Russell is the greatest film maker of his generation. Sony missed out big time.

Well, too be fair, Russell didn't seem to "get" Uncharted.

I do need to see this though, all the talk of the movie being /anything/ like Goodfellas has me excited.

Dead

well not really...yet
Kind of Crazy how amazing a turn around Russel made in his career. After Huckabees there was so much talk of his career having nowhere to go but down due to his on set behavior...

Kind of Crazy how amazing a turn around Russel made in his career. After Huckabees there was so much talk of his career having nowhere to go but down due to his on set behavior...

I think the number of repeat cast members says at least a little bit about that.

Necrovex

Saw this during a morning showing, and it was a fantastic film. My least favorite Russel film; I usually am luke-warm for these type of films. At the moment, my list for him would be The Fighter >= Silver Lining Playbook>American Hustle.

Bale knocked it out of the park, and everyone else did a phenomenal job in it. Lawrence does a good crazy woman.

East Lake

I really do hate that Jennifer Lawrence is getting all the praise for Hustle when Amy Adams was much better. Lawrence was good, but was also one of the only people in Hustle whose performance doesn't feel congruent with the small semblance of groundedness that the rest of the film and cast roll with.
Yeah there was something that didn't sit well with her character to me. I think the way it was written she is far too self-aware to actually be that cruel a person. The bathroom exchange with Amy Adams doesn't fit with the rest of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom