• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First reviews for David O. Russel's AMERICAN HUSTLE

Status
Not open for further replies.
A brilliant cast shines in David O. Russell's deliriously funny account of the notorious Abscam case.
Justin Chang, Variety

An infectious blast of funky jazz played by a terrific cast and a director at the top of their respective games.
David Rooney, THR

Has the kind of throbbing pulse, wicked snap and sheer moviemaking bravado that makes it one of a very few films that can be mentioned in the same breath as Goodfellas.
Alfonso Duralde, The Wrap

Solidly assured from beginning to end, compulsively watchable, very funny, beautifully textured and surprisingly intricately structured ... American Hustle ... is a delight, a sure Awards-season contender, and worth every cent you spend on a ticket.
CJ Johnson, ABC Radio

Formally ostentatious and unrepentantly messy, the film manages to implicitly convey the overdriven, coked-up confusion that many '70s period pieces make painfully overt.
Jesse Cataldo, Slant Magazine

Not just a love story and a briskly entertaining caper, "American Hustle" is also a thoughtful examination of the American tendency toward reinvention (and self-delusion).
Tom Grierson, Screen International

Russell turns the pursuit of the American dream into the ultimate escapism.
Eric Kohn, Indiewire

David O. Russell's American Hustle is at times both deliciously sexy and hilariously unsexy in its attempt to portray the awful, scheming hustlers we all pretend not to be.
Eric Davis, Movies.com

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Can't wait. Love Bale and love Adams. Was going to see it regardless.

Rich!

There's about five bus shelters with this film's poster plastered on it within a few minutes walk of my house.

I guess they're trying to tell me something.

- J - D -

Who has the standout performance? A cast like that, it couldn't be easy to assume one over another.

edit: apparently it's Lawrence!

Wilbur

Banned
Damn. Sounds good.

That's the quote that got me, and I've been saying it to my brother in the last few months. There's very few films with the vibrancy and electricity of Goodfellas - Fight Club is another one I always go to - but the trailers for this made it look like it had that kind of energy. Really looking forward to it.

Not too huge a fan of O Russell - best film he's made is Three Kings, Fighter and SLP were both just pretty good.

Anybody getting carried away with the Goodfellas quote really ought to temper their expectations. We've seen this kind of quote a thousand times with different movies and genres. Hell, the first impressions out of the press screenings for The Wolf of Wall Street have called it the perfect companion piece to Goodfellas.

Just expect the film to be good and you're golden. Expecting it to be as good as Goodfellas is dumb.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Anybody getting carried away with the Goodfellas quote really ought to temper their expectations. We've seen this kind of quote a thousand times with different movies and genres. Hell, the first impressions out of the press screenings for The Wolf of Wall Street have called it the perfect companion piece to Goodfellas.

Just expect the film to be good and you're golden. Expecting it to be as good as Goodfellas is dumb.
I think every Scorcese movie gets called the perfect companion piece to Goodfellas.

David O. Russell hasn't made a mediocre film in a long long time. Hype cannons: fire.

As far back as I can remember, I always wanted to be Scorsese

This will be the Argo of the year, the good-if-not-great movie that beats out the better ones at the Oscars because its more entertaining.

iamblades

Chances Lawrence goes back to back with best actress and best supporting oscars?

I think the internet might burn down if that happens.

kirblar

As far back as I can remember, I always wanted to be Scorsese

This will be the Argo of the year, the good-if-not-great movie that beats out the better ones at the Oscars because its more entertaining.
This year seems super-strong overall. I suspect Gravity actually has a huge chance to win giving that it's uplifting in a year filled with more somber competition.

GusBus

Chances Lawrence goes back to back with best actress and best supporting oscars?

I think the internet might burn down if that happens.

Even the Academy couldn't be that stupid. She's a fine actress, but there's no way.

Anywho, this looks fantastic. Glad to see there's some good buzz already!

iamblades

Even the Academy couldn't be that stupid. She's a fine actress, but there's no way.

Anywho, this looks fantastic. Glad to see there's some good buzz already!

The competition in that category doesn't seem terribly strong this year though, so it is possible. Also it is probably the most showy role in the category from what I've seen in trailers and clips. She will almost certainly be nominated.

It'll probably be the lady from 12 years a slave though. I'm pulling for Margo Martindale before seeing any of these performances. As long as it ain't Oprah.

Can't wait. The Fighter is one of my favorite movies every and SLP was great as well. There's an energy about Russell's films that few other directors can produce.

The trailers for this movie are so strange -- they focus entirely on the characters and not at all on the plot. I have no idea what this movie is about.

The trailers for this movie are so strange -- they focus entirely on the characters and not at all on the plot. I have no idea what this movie is about.

Yeah, it is pretty strange. It's a fairly thin plot, but mostly just about one major con they are trying to pull, which would help the FBI take down a set of politicians on bribery charges. But, as I said in my review, it's mostly about the main set of characters and their interactions.

I love trailers like that. Too many trailers give away their entire story, either in just one trailer or across a bunch of them released before the movie comes out.

I never even watched 7 Pounds (that Will Smith drama) because I was able to guess the entire movie based just on the commercials/trailers (and because I heard it sucked anyways, haha):
Dude feels guilty, kills himself and gives his organs to needy people but falls in love which makes it sad.

Could just be from the trailers but it seems like Jennifer Lawrence is the weak link in this movie. Anyone else getting that vibe?

Lamel

Banned
Damn, Bale and JLaw? Must see.

Also JLaw looks hot as hell; amy adams too. Also loving the hairstyles and clothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom