• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT3| A League of Academy Award Winners

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
My post from the OT thread

"I am so in. Love every character from what I've seen although Cyborg is a little tough to judge. Bruce is dry and witty. Dianna is the same person we all loved in WW. Barry seems more like Wally but that's a good thing. Ezra is killing evgery scene he's in IMO. And Arthur Curry... I think everyone agrees that Aquaman is probably the highlight of these trailers so far. I'll give Cyborg a wait and see based on how passionate Ray is about the character. There's definitely potential there. All and all, day 1!!"

I assume most in here have similar thoughts. We gonna enjoy this film boys.

BadAss2961

Planned to guess the Whedon shots for fun as we go along. So here we go.

R128ZRc.jpg

ZLiZ6O8.jpg

lol

BadAss2961

100% agree with this. This feels like the first trailer, not the last.
Not with that Clark opening.

I like that they've mostly just shown the same shots throughout the trailers without revealing much detail or key dialogue. JL doesn't have that 'saw the whole movie' feel most others blockbusters do.

MisterHero

That's awesome. I expected after seeing the trailer that people would say that must be a Joss scene 😂
The scene with multiple shots and care put into its lighting? Yep, must be a reshoot.

I think Zack storyboarded a Perry Bible Fellowship movie :p

Sambrez_

Not with that Clark opening.

I like that they've mostly just shown the same shots throughout the trailers without revealing much detail or key dialogue. JL doesn't have that 'saw the whole movie' feel most others blockbusters do.

This.
No Superman
No Steppenwolf
We aren't sure either that the Red Battle is the last one.

a916

My post from the OT thread

"I am so in. Love every character from what I've seen although Cyborg is a little tough to judge. Bruce is dry and witty. Dianna is the same person we all loved in WW. Barry seems more like Wally but that's a good thing. Ezra is killing evgery scene he's in IMO. And Arthur Curry... I think everyone agrees that Aquaman is probably the highlight of these trailers so far. I'll give Cyborg a wait and see based on how passionate Ray is about the character. There's definitely potential there. All and all, day 1!!"

I assume most in here have similar thoughts. We gonna enjoy this film boys.

4/5 ain't bad.

I don't at all like Thor or Hawkeye or Scarlett Witch (Thor they've course corrected during the Avengers movies but the other two make me roll my eyes... they bring nothing to the table)

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Dude, Barry is gonna bite it so hard during that one shot of him running up those steps and tripping as Diana says they can't do everything alone, haha. That wipeout will be spectacular.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh, just watched Grace's trailer reaction and she brought up a good point... She mentioned that since it's not called "Final trailer" there still may be another one. I hope she's wrong, but I wouldn't put it past WB to squeeze out ONE more to show Superman or something like right before the movie comes out.

Ashhong

I've gotten three different app notifications for a movie today, and they were all for Star Wars and how the trailer and ticket sales come out tomorrow. Nothing for JL

Dead

well not really...yet
Whedon has definitely fucked with the color grading too much. Almost everything looks worse tbh.

The Flash in the city going from night to day looks way worse especially. Its like Whedon has no idea what contrast is. In fact i wouldnt be surprised if that group shot on the steps in the city was originally at night as well, why is why it looks so awkward now.

Ninjimbo

Whedon has definitely fucked with the color grading too much. Almost everything looks worse tbh.

The Flash in the city going from night to day looks way worse especially. Its like Whedon has no idea what contrast is. In fact i wouldnt be surprised if that group shot on the steps in the city was originally at night as well, why is why it looks so awkward now.
I'm feeling a little bit of this too. I feel they're retouching stuff too much. The only bit I'm feeling is the red in the action scenes. I feel that was ripped straight from a comic page and that's pretty cool. Everything else is a bit off for me.

Idk if that's a Whedon touch or not tho.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member

Here's a comparison shot from the last trailer and the new one

They added more rubble and changed some depth of field for sure. The lighting is a bit brighter, but it's not dramatic. You guys have to realize that the FX houses, editors, art directions, etc constantly adjust brightness/contrast/color grading through out the entire project. It's not like Whedon can just come in and say "change all the colors to red". It's a massive under taking to do all this work and have to re-balance everything out again. I think it was Zack's intention to have the really red skies and color palette for Apokolips, but they just hadn't gotten to that point in production yet when the other trailers came out. We don't do our final color grading and lighting passes until most of the footage is shot and we know what we're working with for trailers I've worked on. We have art directors that will give us the final vision and bunch of concept art that shows it, but we don't put it in until later. It's just a coincidence that this is the final look and Joss had to come in at the end. I really don't think he has much to do with any of the visuals or look of the movie.

EDIT - Bronco, what version of the trailer is your Flash comparison from? Mine is from a quicktime HD rip that came out in July. I wonder if the Quicktime file is brighter by default?

Also, that Wonder Woman street shot above is a great example of what I'm talking about. They probably planned to have those spires and rocks coming out through the buildings and streets, but just hadn't gotten to it yet. If those were there without all the red/orange glow it would look really odd. The colors are showing that something wrong is happening in the area where you see the rocks.

Ninjimbo

The red stuff looks cool. The Flash shot tho, I prefer the blue and night look.

One thing that is popping into my mind is that GAF post from awhile back talking about how the conversations after the screeners were about the VFX feeling rushed and sloppy. I don't know how much time they have left but I hope it gets cleaned up.

Effect

I agree with the complaints about the color changes, but I don't know if it's on Whedon or it was always the plan or what.

I would imagine the red skies changes were always meant to happen since we're dealing the Apokolips. That cgi likely simply wasn't done until recently. The Flash one I don't know. There is more rubble in the new shot but not sure if it being more in the day is better or not. I actually like the older shot more.

EDIT - Bronco, what version of the trailer is your Flash comparison from? Mine is from a quicktime HD rip that came out in July. I wonder if the Quicktime file is brighter by default?

Also, that Wonder Woman street shot above is a great example of what I'm talking about. They probably planned to have those spires and rocks coming out through the buildings and streets, but just hadn't gotten to it yet. If those were there without all the red/orange glow it would look really odd. The colors are showing that something wrong is happening in the area where you see the rocks.

Both are what's available on Apples trailer site, just to quickly download them. Apple trailers aren't perfect, but they are better quality than Youtube and closer to the pro res.

Still waiting for the high-bitrate, 5.1 audio version of the trailer from The Digital Theater. Hopefully it won't be much longer. That's the version I plan to show my family.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Just got home and watched it on my big screen. This movie may be a lot of things but ugly ain't one of them.

Well that trailer was actually very promising, first one so far, hopefully it's a sign of things to come for Justice League.

As for the color grading, I don't mind it. It's pretty standard.

Cinematography for reshoots was handled by

http://m.imdb.com/name/nm1700053/filmotype?ref_=m_nm_flmg

Who was 2nd unit during principal photography

Whedon had the cinematographer of this on Avengers

atonement.png

and he still puts out a bad looking movie (BUT, bless up for that Harry Dean Stanton cameo I really liked that)

a good director of photography would be wasted on him.

did not like that trailer, but aquaman and flash look great. casting for those two was smart.

Top Bottom